• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordiemp

Guy just stop this sillyness of "PS5 will do better in DF head to head". GPU wise it won't. Simple as that. Maybe same quality textures, same RT quality, but resolution will tend to be higher on XSX. Accept it, the sooner you accept this the less it will hurt your feelings.

Noted, come back and tell us what you think. Hvae you seen any games playing with RT on XSX yet ?

ethomaz

Banned
C'mon, we all now Brazil has only two seasons: summer and rainy summer.
It is Spring here yet at over 40 Celsius.
I can't even imagine what it will be on Summer :messenger_face_screaming:

At least rainy summer have well high humidity in the air.

16016001795f767ab322b3e_1601600179_3x2_rt.jpg

Last edited:

7thedon7

Neo Member
Maybe the liquid metal will keep temperatures low and fans won’t have to spin up faster to cool it down? The XSX has a big fan and yet is extremely quiet. If Sony really wanted to achieve a silent console this time around I don’t think Cerny would have said what he said on Road to PS5 if he wasn’t 100%sure. Just guessing here.

Garani

Maybe the liquid metal will keep temperatures low and fans won’t have to spin up faster to cool it down? The XSX has a big fan and yet is extremely quiet. If Sony really wanted to achieve a silent console this time around I don’t think Cerny would have said what he said on Road to PS5 if he wasn’t 100%sure. Just guessing here.

Big Fan = Low Noise
Small Fan = High Noise

A big fan moves a lot more air with less speed. For this reason a big fan isn't loud.

Faithless83

Banned
Guy just stop this sillyness of "PS5 will do better in DF head to head". GPU wise it won't. Simple as that. Maybe same quality textures, same RT quality, but resolution will tend to be higher on XSX. Accept it, the sooner you accept this the less it will hurt your feelings.
I believe it's too soon to say. Even Thomas from DF said "baffling to me how I/O will make for better graphics" or how having an I/O of 17GB/s with oodle can help. Less things in memory, more room to process things, bigger textures, focus only on what's on screen. It's the closest we are to cartridges again. Both timestamped:

7thedon7

Neo Member
Additionally, it really looks like it on the picture. You can see the “fins” from where the air blows out if you zoom in.

7thedon7

Neo Member
Big Fan = Low Noise
Small Fan = High Noise

A big fan moves a lot more air with less speed. For this reason a big fan isn't loud.
Yup, you’re right. Guess we’ll know this Monday. Hoping perspective is making it seem like the fan is small. 😂

I remember he said this.

"We then tackled the engineering challenge of a cost-effective and high-performance cooling solution designed for that specific power level. In some ways, it becomes a more simple problem because there are no more unknowns. There's no need to guess what the power consumption in a worst-case game might have.

"As for details of the cooling solution, we're saving them for our teardown. I think you'll be quite happy with what the engineering team came up with."

This is where he talks about noise.

"Our process on previous consoles has been try to guess what the maximum power consumption during the entire console lifetime might be. Which is to say, the worst-case scene in the worst-case game and prepare a cooling solution that we think will be quiet at that power level.

"If we get it right, then the noise is minimal. If we get it wrong, the console will be quite loud for the higher-power games. There's even a chance it might overheat and shut down if we mis-estimate power to that length."

So it seems like since they went with a fixed power consumption instead of a variable one. And the fact that fan speed is related to power consumption. Leads me to the conclusion that they should never exceed the power budget. This means you won't have the fans revving up and down like you do with the PS4 the fan speed should be constant if I'm not mistaken. Whether or not that leads to a silent console I'm not sure but he did address the noise levels so I do think it might be lower than the Pros.

Last edited:

user1337

Guess my 1TB USB storage will continue its services for the foreseeable future. 🤣🤣

625GB is about 8-10 games worth (excluding COD)

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Tom Holland is 24
Playing a 16 year old..😐
For reference Toby Maguire was 28 in SM2 playing a 21 year old, and I believe Kirsten Dunst was actually the same age as MJ in SM2 but was older in SM1
Andrew Garfield was the oldest being 28 and 30 in the TASM films which had Parker at 17 and 19-20.
Tom Holland just looks really young.
Despite the criticism Toby & Andrew got, I think they look the age of the Spider-man they was portraying
Tom is never gonna look old enough to work at the Daily Bugle anytime soon 😂

Last edited:

TheAssist

qPFyKEC2BocPNMTX.medium

Is that fan smaller or bigger than the Pros?

Its a completely different Design. First of all, since the PS5 is rather big, I think the fan is a bit bigger than it might look in the pic. Second, yeah its a completely different kind of fan. Just look at them.

I dont get the idea that small fans are loud. Yes if they go full apeshit in terms of RPM they are, but there have been huge improvements in past few years. Look at modern GPU's and the kind of heat the have to deal with, while also not having a lot of real estate for bog fans. Manufactures have come up with intelligent blade designs and fan controls that make even smaller fans more quite or at least make the perceived frequencies more bearable.

Lets just wait until we have the results before going nuts about a blurry picture again, shall we?

Andodalf

Banned
Its a completely different Design. First of all, since the PS5 is rather big, I think the fan is a bit bigger than it might look in the pic. Second, yeah its a completely different kind of fan. Just look at them.

I dont get the idea that small fans are loud. Yes if they go full apeshit in terms of RPM they are, but there have been huge improvements in past few years. Look at modern GPU's and the kind of heat the have to deal with, while also not having a lot of real estate for bog fans. Manufactures have come up with intelligent blade designs and fan controls that make even smaller fans more quite or at least make the perceived frequencies more bearable.

Lets just wait until we have the results before going nuts about a blurry picture again, shall we?

Smaller will always be louder at moving the same volume of air

I think what's also important to consider is that Sony is handling cooling and power consumption differently with the PS5. Even though the fans might seem smaller the system could end up producing less noise than the Pro does. We have to wait and see what happens.

TheAssist

Smaller will always be louder at moving the same volume of air

But we dont know the amount of air yet. Of course you're right with that statement. But its all about having a reasonable sized fan with a reasonable amount of noise.
And fans have become quite good at that. Also there are a lot of other factors like the size of the heatsink, the conduction material used on the CPU and GPU, the airflow within the case, etc.

I just dont like the assumption "smaller fan = loud"
Speaking in absolute terms. Of course in relative terms a bigger fan is less loud, but there are restrictions when designing a piece of hardware.
In absolute terms, the fan doesnt have to be loud, or at least not annoyingly so, because we dont know how much air its gonna move and how it is designed

user1337

Is this guy actually allowed to sell it as he claims? Sounds Dodgy as hell and potentially problematic if Sony decides to block the system.

Edit: Eh, looks like he deleted it.

Edit 2: took a screenshot.

87IOj3V.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom