• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

Sounds great in theory, but in practices? You can’t scale your games around I/O, it’s not like GPU (just scale up/down resolution) or CPU (scale up/down FPS).
Devs also have to develop their games for a lot of PCs, and most of them will be much slower than both Xbox and PS5, so in practices we will see if there will even be a difference at all for third party games.
no shit

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Which MS using is abit better? PS5 kraken is better than Zlib (xbox) and also oodles texture(ps5) is very similar to BCpack (xbox). So tell me which is better?

Kraken is 10-50% better in games size compression, and 300% (4x times) faster than ZLIB in decompression and sending them to RAM/CPU/GPU. So the delta of speed extends into Kraken vs ZLIB.

So you either get 10-50% smaller games on PS5 than XSX, or you have much, much higher quality assets for PS5 for the same size.

EDIT: And that's all software, not with kraken HW acceleration on PS5.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Kraken is 10-50% better in games size compression, and 300% (4x times) faster than ZLIB. So the delta of speed extends into Kraken vs ZLIB.

So you either get 10-50% smaller games on PS5 than XSX, or you have much, much higher quality assets for PS5 for the same size.

Welcome back Bo!
Good to see you made it in time for the reveals.

We are Bos, and we are plenty.:lollipop_sunglasses:

s2hoqg0ljaj4okfcmryl.gif

Time for the HYPE!

誇大広告!
We are Bos, and we are plenty.:lollipop_sunglasses:

er-media/image/upload/t_original/s2hoqg0ljaj4okfcmryl.gif

Time for the HYPE!

誇大広告!

Xbox fans reaction with Bo's return
Kraken is 10-50% better in games size compression, and 300% (4x times) faster than ZLIB. So the delta of speed extends into Kraken vs ZLIB.

Xbox fans reaction to Bo's Return

tenor.gif

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I live in Europe (not UK). Apart from a few very brand loyal Xbox fanatics I personally know, I see more people looking forward to PS5 in general.
Yeah definitely, obviously the PS5 is going to sell way more than XSX/XSS, but I meant that the amount of hype of people looking forward to the PS5 isn't more than those looking forward to the XSX.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Come on Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem let it all out!!! We all know you were making a list while in exile :messenger_grimmacing_

Well, I learned a lot while out, I can tell you that. Next time it'll be 1600% zooms, something above and beyond to make it easier for all readers to see what I was talking about ;) But not now, it's time for hype! Tomorrow gonna be a glorious day!

Xbox fans reaction with Bo's return

Xbox fans reaction to Bo's Return

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Cerny was extremely "conservative" with his "10%" compression advantage over ZLIB (used in xboxes and PS4). This is not big, this is HUGE! 10-50% storage efficiency is critical, whether for higher quality assets or just keeping games sizes down. Why you think Sony showed DS as 66GB and Spider-man MM as 50GB? Yup, it's a show off ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, for fan boys... I don't see much more hype for ps5 compared to XSX in the general public.
Dude... I mean, just look at the views and tell me again there is more interest for the XSX compared to the PS5. I'm going to add the main big reveals from each console for comparison.

Xbox Series X:
Xbox Series X - World Premiere - 4K Trailer (System Reveal from TGA 2019) - 14,788,159 views
Xbox Series X Hands On, Gameplay & Controller! (Austin Evans video) - 15,544,462 views
DF Direct: Hands-On With Xbox Series X + Impressions + Xbox One X Size Comparisons! - 1,136,215 views
First Look Xbox Series X Gameplay - 1,638,262 views
Xbox Games Showcase [ENGLISH] - 936,283 views
Xbox Series S - World Premiere Reveal Trailer - 6,454,627 views

PS5:
The Road to PS5 - 16,158,680 views
Unreal Engine 5 Revealed! | Next-Gen Real-Time Demo Running on PlayStation 5 - 14,458,546 views
[ENGLISH] PS5 - THE FUTURE OF GAMING SHOW - 15,054,721 views
PS5 Hardware Reveal Trailer - 33,355,719 views
PlayStation 5: Hands on With the DualSense PS5 Controller - 1,058,615 views
PLAYSTATION 5 SHOWCASE [ENGLISH] - 4,727,917 views

And this is just YouTube we are talking about.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
@Bryank75 taking a 2 week it seems. I think he could do a special 2 day parole for tomorrow's showcase. Serve the rest of the sentence after. If mods are merciful of course. @Mod of War

He's coming tomorrow! Don't worry. And for all the guys here, I've been reading everything you guys posted, it's heartwarming. Seen you guys on the ban thread as well, and even on youtube!

This makes it hard not to love you all back! :messenger_smiling_hearts:

mitchman

Gold Member
Where’d you get that number? A quick google search tells me typical speed for DDR4 2133mhz is 55gb/s
Ah I see, my source lists a typical 55gb/s speed for a four channel configuration, while 17gb/s is theoretical speed for a single channel. Most computers do at least dual channel,, but even then we are still getting pretty close to slow ram speeds. Pretty impressive.
I know what you meant to say, but just a tiny nitpick. GB/s is Gigabytes per second, Gb/s is Gigabits per second. Upper and lowercase matters in this regard :)

FunkMiller

It has to be said, I'm quite surprised at how elegant it looks in real life.

I was fully prepared for it to look like a complete eyesore - and while it's still clearly a big bitch, it has quite a pleasing, interesting shape to it that I don't mind at all. I thought all the renders made it seem a lot more aesthetically pleasing than it really would be in reality, but it looks like they were all accurate. I think I'd better measure the shelves on my tv stand though. Could need some KY Jelly to slide her on in there...

PS5.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
WELCOME BACK!!!! Fish missed you big time.

Thanks! ;) Missed his stinky smell.

I was fully prepared for it to look like a complete eyesore - and while it's still clearly a big bitch, it has quite a pleasing, interesting shape to it that I don't mind at all. I thought all the renders made it seem a lot more aesthetically pleasing than it really would be in reality, but it looks like they were all accurate. I think I'd better measure the shelves on my tv stand though. Could need some KY Jelly to slide her on in there...

PS5.jpg

He even fits with the colors with his white/black clothes! Used to play many games in Japanese with no translation, and even beat the games like Captain Tusbasa and Goal III on Family Game (NES) and some on PS1 like Winning Eleven to the point I started reading some sort of literal system that sounds like a simplified version of Japanese used for foreign languages.

Last edited:

PS5.jpg

It is a really sleek design and the dualsense is also really nice.

Zadom

Thanks! ;) Missed his stinky smell.

He even fits with the colors with his white/black clothes! Used to play many games in Japanese with no translation, and even beat the games like Captain Tusbasa and Goal III on Family Game (NES) and some on PS1 like Winning Eleven to the point I started reading some sort of literal system that sound like a simplified version of Japanese used for foreign languages.
Bo_Hazeem is back!
o2Q4a8i.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazeem is back!
o2Q4a8i.jpg

Just in case of what I was talking about previously, had to make it 1600% for all to easily understand:

You see 4 blocks of mostly compensation for one pixel, a sign of upscaling. Also the line itself has a soft color to it that's near transparent: (1600% zoom)

vlcsnap-2020-09-28-00h18m25s787.png

hic2.jpg

Demon's Souls, you find much more unique, independent pixels and finer gradation even for an asset that's much more away from the view compared to the above. (1600% zoom)

ds-1600.png

Picked from the right side, the wall.

vlcsnap-2020-09-27-18h09m45s143.png

You can't find aliasing that easy, so it's near impossible to pixel count in the traditional way of DF that relies on hard-edged lines. And yes, they use Paint as well, nothing special:

Without further investigation of how pixels are forming the image, you can't really have a sharp indication of the true resolution. That's why they didn't provide evidence. Also, VRS makes things extremely hard as well, as it could be partial resolution like the 720p parts in Halo.

The only aliasing I found in DS was this:

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-16h40m14s817.png

ds-aliasing.png

This could be VRS, and also could be a result of lower res image error/LOD, or a sign that the 4K final image is AI reconstructed from lower resolution similar to DLSS on Nvidia, probably the newly patented one.

Though, the final image is indeed 4K, whether it's native or masterfully reconstructed it needs further confirmations.

Last edited:

Rea

Kraken is 10-50% better in games size compression, and 300% (4x times) faster than ZLIB in decompression and sending them to RAM/CPU/GPU. So the delta of speed extends into Kraken vs ZLIB.

Welcome back bro. Miss ya.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Dude... I mean, just look at the views and tell me again there is more interest for the XSX compared to the PS5. I'm going to add the main big reveals from each console for comparison.

Xbox Series X:
Xbox Series X - World Premiere - 4K Trailer (System Reveal from TGA 2019) - 14,788,159 views
Xbox Series X Hands On, Gameplay & Controller! (Austin Evans video) - 15,544,462 views
DF Direct: Hands-On With Xbox Series X + Impressions + Xbox One X Size Comparisons! - 1,136,215 views
First Look Xbox Series X Gameplay - 1,638,262 views
Xbox Games Showcase [ENGLISH] - 936,283 views
Xbox Series S - World Premiere Reveal Trailer - 6,454,627 views

PS5:
The Road to PS5 - 16,158,680 views
Unreal Engine 5 Revealed! | Next-Gen Real-Time Demo Running on PlayStation 5 - 14,458,546 views
[ENGLISH] PS5 - THE FUTURE OF GAMING SHOW - 15,054,721 views
PS5 Hardware Reveal Trailer - 33,355,719 views
PlayStation 5: Hands on With the DualSense PS5 Controller - 1,058,615 views
PLAYSTATION 5 SHOWCASE [ENGLISH] - 4,727,917 views

And this is just YouTube we are talking about.
So 500K more views when it comes to the most watched video of both. Wow 3% more, knowing they have outsold Xbox 2:1 pas generation...

chilichote

Just in case of what I was talking about previously, had to make it 1600% for all to easily understand:

You see 4 blocks of mostly compensative for one pixel, a sign of upscaling. Also the line itself has a soft color to it that's near transparent: (1600% zoom)

vlcsnap-2020-09-28-00h18m25s787.png

hic2.jpg

Demon's Souls, you find much more unique, independent pixels and finer gradation even for an asset that's much more away from the view compared to the above. (1600% zoom)

ds-1600.png

Picked from the right side, the wall.

vlcsnap-2020-09-27-18h09m45s143.png

You can't find aliasing that easy, so it's near impossible to pixel count in the traditional way of DF that relies on hard-edged lines. And yes, they use Paint as well, nothing special:

Without further investigation of how pixels are forming the photo, you can really have a sharp indication of the true resolution. That's why they didn't provide evidence. Also, VRS makes things extremely hard as well, as it could be partial resolution like the 720p parts in Halo.

The only aliasing I found in DS was this:

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-16h40m14s817.png

ds-aliasing.png

This could be VRS, and also could be a result of lower res image error/LOD, or a sign that the 4K final image is AI reconstructed from lower resolution similar to DLSS on Nvidia, probably the newly patented one.

Though, the final image is indeed 4K, whether it's native or masterfully reconstructed it needs further confirmations.

q0QmDSQ.jpg

If you use the GIMP, you can zoom in much further (25600%) - no idea whether that makes sense, but it works^^

Edit: welcome back btw!

Last edited:

cudiye

Can you imagine Naughty Dog’s PS5 project?! I can’t!

le7JbKj.jpg

K2ryzb9.jpg

gNd4n8q.jpg

3QWkI5W.jpg
Yeah, technically and graphically these guys just blow away any competition. It's not even close.

At what cost? A narcissistic director who drove close to 70% of their workers away. I agree with them being the best in the business graphically and technically but narratively? They’re shit.

TrippleA345

So 500K more views when it comes to the most watched video of both. Wow 3% more, knowing they have outsold Xbox 2:1 pas generation...

Based on the official Youtube Channels
TimestampAugust 19 2020August 19 2020
PS5Xbox Series X
Game Event DateJune 11 2020July 23 2020
Game Event WeekJune 8 - June 15July 20 - July 27
Views on the Channel during the Week108.114.85613.819.606
1. Week after Game EventJune 15 - June 22July 27 - August 3
Views28.920.2041.328.945
2. Week after Game EventJune 22 - June 29August 3 - August 10
Views20.799.7513.897.660
Console Reveal Trailer
Date11.06.202013.12.2019
Views30.244.14813.870.999
Game Event Week Subscription10.100.000 - 11.200.0003.810.000 - 3.890.000
DateJune 9 - June 17July 19 - July 27
New Subscribers1.100.00080.000
Game Videos Total74.208.3767.850.350
Other Videos Total6.040.6811.181.929
Livestream Videos Total18.748.9951.925.259

I made this in the past.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well, I learned a lot while out, I can tell you that. Next time it'll be 1600% zooms, something above and beyond to make it easier for all readers to see what I was talking about ;) But not now, it's time for hype! Tomorrow gonna be a glorious day!

tenor.gif

Cerny was extremely "conservative" with his "10%" compression advantage over ZLIB (used in xboxes and PS4). This is not big, this is HUGE! 10-50% storage efficiency is critical, whether for higher quality assets or just keeping games sizes down. Why you think Sony showed DS as 66GB and Spider-man MM as 50GB? Yup, it's a show off ;)

Could that compression and decompression be used for audio as well in lossless format? Since audio are some of the largest footprints.

At what cost? A narcissistic director who drove close to 70% of their workers away. I agree with them being the best in the business graphically and technically but narratively? They’re shit.
tenor.gif

And it was just the animators, not the 70% of the entire studio, just saying, let's not spread misinformation.
One major consequence of this culture has been attrition. Of the 20 non-lead designers in the credits of 2016’s Uncharted 4, a whopping 14—70 percent—are no longer at the studio

Last edited:

SSfox

PS5.jpg

Design of both console and pad looks sexy AF

Redlight

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem IS BACK!! WELCOME WELCOME! Let's storm on these Xbox fans and show them how useless Xbox Series X is and how PS5 is way superior in everyway (truth). ❤🧡💚💙💜💛

Oh and by the way, PlayStation 5 cold boots in more 20 seconds if those leaks were real, that is a bit slower than Xbox Series X which means it's over for PlayStation, Xbox will DESTROY Sony because of it!!
Well, isn't this post incredibly illuminating?
If anyone really thinks that Xbox fans are the problem here, read the above and shake your head in wonder. This is Sony Gaf in action.

Imagine fanboying over Bo Hazem. :messenger_hushed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom