• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

zubairali2

We are Bos, and we are plenty.:lollipop_sunglasses:

s2hoqg0ljaj4okfcmryl.gif

Time for the HYPE!

誇大広告!

welcome back boob hazem :)

Razzy-

Kraken is 10-50% better in games size compression, and 300% (4x times) faster than ZLIB in decompression and sending them to RAM/CPU/GPU. So the delta of speed extends into Kraken vs ZLIB.

So you either get 10-50% smaller games on PS5 than XSX, or you have much, much higher quality assets for PS5 for the same size.

EDIT: And that's all software, not with kraken HW acceleration on PS5.

The king is back!

giphy.gif

:lollipop_smiling_face_eyes::lollipop_smiling_face_eyes::lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Could that compression and decompression be used for audio as well in lossless format? Since audio are some of the largest footprints.

Kraken by itself is a lossless compression, ZLIB as well, so yes that includes everything. But Oodle textures is a lossy compression, just like BCpack. That's why depending on the game, you can benefit between 10-50% compression over ZLIB.

oodle-typical-vbar.png

So losslessly, Kraken is about 28.98% better compression according to that official graph (losslessly). With lossy texture compression, you amplify that 10-50% more but only for textures.

Handy Fake

Kraken by itself is a lossless compression, ZLIB as well, so yes that includes everything. But Oodle textures is a lossy compression, just like BCpack. That's why depending on the game, you can benefit between 10-50% compression over ZLIB.

oodle-typical-vbar.png

So losslessly, Kraken is about 28.98% better compression according to that official graph (losslessly). With lossy texture compression, you amplify that 10-50% more but only for textures.
Great to have you back, Bo lad.

And I think the main reason Cerny went with Kraken was the decompress speed. That's hugely impressive.

kyliethicc

It has to be said, I'm quite surprised at how elegant it looks in real life.

I was fully prepared for it to look like a complete eyesore - and while it's still clearly a big bitch, it has quite a pleasing, interesting shape to it that I don't mind at all. I thought all the renders made it seem a lot more aesthetically pleasing than it really would be in reality, but it looks like they were all accurate. I think I'd better measure the shelves on my tv stand though. Could need some KY Jelly to slide her on in there...

PS5.jpg
As big Jimmy Sony said, they wanted a futuristic design. I like it too. They also clearly want it to stick out so people notice it, talk about it, etc.

kyliethicc

At what cost? A narcissistic director who drove close to 70% of their workers away. I agree with them being the best in the business graphically and technically but narratively? They’re shit.
As you Kanye yourself once said, "and if you can do it better than me, then you do it."

best of luck

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Neither Kraken nor Oodle Textures are exclusive, but Sony bought a license for every retail console/devkit, so devs don't have to pay RAD Tools to use them.

No, but PS5 implemented Kraken decompression in HW and when you pre-process textures with Oodle you can realistically hit almost 18 GB/s worth of equivalent uncompressed data (i.e. get a 3-4:1 compression ratio) vs the 6-7 GB/s (to be generous when Goossen said over 6 GB/s of peak texture decompression throughout). This is without any CPU/GPU hit.

If you accept some decompression cost at runtime you can use the BC7Prep step with Oodle and get closer to the peak HW decompressor block speed.

Last edited:

saintjules

It has to be said, I'm quite surprised at how elegant it looks in real life.

I was fully prepared for it to look like a complete eyesore - and while it's still clearly a big bitch, it has quite a pleasing, interesting shape to it that I don't mind at all. I thought all the renders made it seem a lot more aesthetically pleasing than it really would be in reality, but it looks like they were all accurate. I think I'd better measure the shelves on my tv stand though. Could need some KY Jelly to slide her on in there...

PS5.jpg

First thing I'm gonna do is stroke the middle.

NeroDaGod

Yeah definitely, obviously the PS5 is going to sell way more than XSX/XSS, but I meant that the amount of hype of people looking forward to the PS5 isn't more than those looking forward to the XSX.

This sentence doesn’t make any sense if you think the PS5 is going to sell more than the XSX then there’s more hype for the PS5 it’s pretty simple really I don’t see what you’re trying to twist here.

Garani

I know i know i am moaning like a 200 year old hooker. fs

I can still deep fry you and having a blast at dinner time! :D

I’m guessing that these are all the Japanese YouTubers who are going to have hands on videos of the PS5 in just under 24 hours.

Just search #tryps5

This shit is BIG... like thw whole torso. It's a big ass console (but a real beauty!)

imagine the pain of Xbox players not being able to blow into their controller /s

No, no, no, never borrow a mouth organ - not even from your best friend.
'Cos you may survive the blowing, but the sucking's gonna get you in the end. Oh yeah!

(Bonus points if you get the quote. No, googling it is like cheating :D)

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
It's LIVE!!!

Video's pretty good. Nothing like good socratic questioning. The more questions you ask the deeper you get. Too tired to do a summary for the normies, "neutrals" and "cringers"..... @Kingthrash may not know from which leg some posters limp, and their preferences but we do. Not too surprised to see @Orky have a try and get easily worked. @X-Fighter , which is a tad smarter going through the paces... thelastword thelastword will probably make a thread on it before I wake up and do the summary lmao.
Just watched it, been a bit engaged elsewhere of late......This is clearly one of the most accurate videos on the this whole DF debate....It's what I've been saying for years, hope more people are understanding now. Even their latest Series X BC video, there are so many things they conveniently leave out because it would go against their topic "Series X Backwards Compatibility tested, the performance is immense". When they are mostly comparing games that were already running 4k on XBONEX last gen or games boosted by framerate that are running medium settings at 1080p with no enhanced resolutions......It's like running DMC on Series X from XBONEX and calling the performance gains immense......It's not immense, the more powerful hardware should do even better than that tbh....Even Dead or Alive is not a locked 60fps....and many others...

Anyways great videos by Kingthrash......I was entertained throughout.......Cause facts with a little humor thrown in is the perfect combo in these times....Keep up the good work..

Just watched it, been a bit engaged elsewhere of late......This is clearly one of the most accurate videos on the this whole DF debate....It's what I've been saying for years, hope more people are understanding now. Even their latest Series X BC video, there are so many things they conveniently leave out because it would go against their topic "Series X Backwards Compatibility tested, the performance is immense". When they are mostly comparing games that were already running 4k on XBONEX last gen or games boosted by framerate that are running medium settings at 1080p with no enhanced resolutions......It's like running DMC on Series X from XBONEX and calling the performance gains immense......It's not immense, the more powerful hardware should do even better than that tbh....Even Dead or Alive is not a locked 60fps....and many others...

Anyways great videos by Kingthrash......I was entertained throughout.......Cause facts with a little humor thrown in is the perfect combo in these times....Keep up the good work..
Beware the ire of the DaFfoDiLs. :messenger_neutral: /s

Last edited:
PS4 UI is already native 4K on Pro. Xbox One X UI is not 4K.

Got the source its gonna be updated? Couldn't find any links. Digital Foundry said it will not be 4K on XSX.
That Xbox Beard Guy said it in some video.
But I don't remember which one.

There's FUD over the OS boot-up speed.

There's FUD over the disk space size.

There's even FUD over the console's size still.

This will all be buried tomorrow hopefully, but the twats doing it are persistent!
Just like the FUD about PS5 being only a 36CU console last year?
At one point you guys need to accept reality.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
That Xbox Beard Guy said it in some video.
But I don't remember which one.

Just like the FUD about PS5 being only a 36CU console last year?
At one point you guys need to accept reality.
even broken clock shows two times right time but does not mean that clock is working.

reality he says, hilarious! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom