• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are overthinking this, electronic devices get hot, sometimes very hot (phone, tablets, laptops etc.), if the temperatures are within the range that the hardware was designed for, it is not a problem and no reason for concern

Absolutely. My Xbox 360 Xenon used to get hot also. And then it didn't. /s

But I think the strange thing is the fact it appears to get hot in standby mode.

TeKtheSanE

But I think the strange thing is the fact it appears to get hot in standby mode.
They also mention xbox one x would do this sometimes, which I can attest to.

But yeah, I want more than just the Podcaster to verify this. There is quite a handful of users out there and no one else has said anything.

reksveks

Maybe DirectX RT takes a bigger hit in performance from what MS expected, so in the end both consoles may end up performing around the same levels when RT is on. Just a thought.

Bit weird that cyberpunk 2077 is using dxr over vulkanray on pc if that was the case but there could be additional benefits of running dx12 on pc over vulkan to compensate.

reksveks

Bit weird that cyberpunk 2077 is using dxr over vulkanray on pc if that was the case but there could be additional benefits of running dx12 on pc over vulkan to compensate.
Also a bit weird to reply to myself but remember that cdpr still has to support vulkan cause of stadia anyways

BTW this is the real long term fight that Microsoft has alongside services.

Zadom

Also a bit weird to reply to myself but remember that cdpr still has to support vulkan cause of stadia anyways

BTW this is the real long term fight that Microsoft has alongside services.
Don’t let us interrupt.
crx1tSO.jpg

Boglin

I love that we have a hardware engineer here on Gaf, more capable than the entire team at Microsoft.

You’ve got to be kidding.

I don't have a degree in engineering but I have enough experience with small form factor computers to know that for its volume the XSX design should be extremely good at cooling.

Thermals are seriously the last thing I would worry about when it comes to Microsoft devices. It's not 2005 anymore.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
going in expecting some annoying as fuck tween japanese person gushing over astrobot and not showing anything of substance

I really hope im not right.
Are we definitely going to see the console and hopefully the UI today with these “previews”?

I bet it’s all just screen footage of a few games with some over active Japanese kids screaming/rubbing the controller on themselves.
Either way I’m watching it 5 times :messenger_squinting_tongue:
I would expect a very sanitised set of 'fluff pieces' heavily edited to only show gameplay.

I can't imagine Sony would allow the first showing off their UI to be Japanese language only YouTube fodder. I would imagine they would film something themselves and have it heavily produced and localised for each market to ensure their message is correct.

But this is 2020 Sony marketing, so who knows 🤷‍♂️

pasterpl

Here's what I don't like about this video. It appears that MS told these youtubers to target specific titles to demo. I don't like this at all. If you are pushing BC hard then let these early users play what they want. They all test the same games.

they have said that in preview phase there will be limited number of games available for preview to test, I think they are adding 200 more this weekend, but I am not sure if it some sort of embargo that specifies which games thy are allowed to talk about

Some games are not working right now. Halo 5, Horizon 4 ... according to

I think that horizon 4 might be in the last batch of games added to the preview as it is one of the titles that will get Xbox series enhanced patch (remaster)

I would expect a very sanitised set of 'fluff pieces' heavily edited to only show gameplay.

I can't imagine Sony would allow the first showing off their UI to be Japanese language only YouTube fodder. I would imagine they would film something themselves and have it heavily produced and localised for each market to ensure their message is correct.

But this is 2020 Sony marketing, so who knows 🤷‍♂️
I think they left their marketing department back in 2013

Doncabesa

unknown.png

Hoping this is simply because they haven't talked fully about their BC yet and we get some solid info in the next few weeks.

Vae_Victis

Banned
I don’t even remember did this gen have launch problems?
In terms of hardware failure, not really. For both PS4 and Xbox One there were a few people lamenting and showing on video the delivery of a faulty unit, but with millions of devices deployed all at once that's to be expected, and for both it died down fast enough to mean the percentage of affected users was miniscule.

Do the fans run at all in stand-by mode? It could be connected to what little heat is produced not dissipating efficiently enough specifically in stand-by mode, and accumulating over the hours to the point it's noticeanle to the touch... That doesn't necessarely mean it's "overheating", but I'd still be wary for potential wear caused in the long run.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
My PS4 gets warm for sure but at no point would I say it is very hot. Obviously its pre-release hardware but if that becomes an issue with the Series X then any bit of momentum Xbox has will evaporate.

My PS4 gets warm for sure but at no point would I say it is very hot. Obviously its pre-release hardware but if that becomes an issue with the Series X then any bit of momentum Xbox has will evaporate.

If there are issues with some units they could bump the RPM's on the fan but it will make it louder. That or be ready to accept warranty claims if longevity becomes an issue. Then again hardware these days can take a lot of beating depending on usage within that 1-year manufacturers warranty. It takes years for an RROD or YLOD issue to be acknowledged other than sporadic claims that slowly bunch up overtime - and these companies will always push back first.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Here's what I don't like about this video. It appears that MS told these youtubers to target specific titles to demo. I don't like this at all. If you are pushing BC hard then let these early users play what they want. They all test the same games.
They probably released the best performing BC games first, those with the best performance and better loadtimes...., so that could get coverage.

Orky

Banned

at least they give out the consoles to hundreds of people around the world and give them many games to play.
And regarding the limited titles, well some may not be ready yet maybe? It’s still 2 months until release, so where is the problem? Why are you so concerned? They could easily don’t give the console at all to anyone, but they did

Popup

I've noticed that none of these Japanese YouTubers tend to personally feature on their videos. Most seem to feature only full screen gameplay while one uses an animated avatar.

This may mean we end up starting the videos at the title screen for the Astrobot Demo, which would be a shame. Hopefully, I am wrong.

Last edited:

geordiemp

If there are issues with some units they could bump the RPM's on the fan but it will make it louder. That or be ready to accept warranty claims if longevity becomes an issue. Then again hardware these days can take a lot of beating depending on usage within that 1-year manufacturers warranty. It takes years for an RROD or YLOD issue to be acknowledged other than sporadic claims that slowly bunch up overtime - and these companies will always push back first.

SSD do get hot, so maybe SSD should be powered off in standby if fans are also off as there is no airlfow

Console standby modes maybe will have to change ?

PSX

MHW is one of this gen games I am most excited to try out at better frame rates 😊. In fact it's one of just 3 games I still play now. The other 2 being rocket league and apex (both of which run at 60 most of the time anyway).

my favorite series, but I play on PS4 and steam.

Mr Moose

at least they give out the consoles to hundreds of people around the world and give them many games to play.
And regarding the limited titles, well some may not be ready yet maybe? It’s still 2 months until release, so where is the problem? Why are you so concerned? They could easily don’t give the console at all to anyone, but they did
It's 37 days.

Where are the links to the videos/channels?

HikakinGames
兄者弟者
花江夏樹
ポッキー
赤髪のとものゲーム実況チャンネル!!
SANNINSHOW
黛 灰 / Kai Mayuzumi【にじさんじ】
鈴原るる【にじさんじ所属】
牛沢
茶々茶(chachacha)
SeikinTV
ぐっちの部屋(ミラクルぐっち)

「YouTube Gaming Week」についてはこちら

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

That's not really good is it, he's not saying its warm, he is saying its super hot.

Maybe i am confused i thought ssd don't get hot because it's not made of moveable parts, did i get that part wrong?

either way that is a bad look when a guy is shaking his hand and calling it toasty when grabbing it out of its slot.
So much for changing the card without powering the console off.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Gearbox Head Says PS5, Xbox Series X Are "Absolutely Unreal”

"I always get so pumped when there's an ability to take a step forward with new hardware and new technology, and anything that's going to empower us," Pitchford said. "I think customers will realize how profound of a difference it is to have the throughput capability that these new platforms bring. It's just absolutely unreal. The leap there with PS5 and Xbox Series X is the biggest leap I have ever seen in the history of console generations. I'm saying, including the leap from 2D to 3D. It's going to change the way we think about every bit of our experiences."

Pitchford did caution that it will be "hard to see that in the initial launch titles" because so many of them are ports or games that from the current generation being reimagined on next gen.

👊🏻😉

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Is it normal for consoles in standby to get really really hot requiring cooling? To the point where it feels really hot, even after being disconnected? PS4 on standby is as cold as a brick, and that is way more compact than this (including the slim).
The SSD expansion card could be working in full load even on standby if the console is downloading stuff. I agree these electronic parts can get really hot and that's normal, but usually they are inside a cabinet, not outside where someone can touch them. Looks like it won't be possible to remove the card while the system is on, or one risks getting burns.

Et3rn1ty

Neo Member
Αμφιβάλλω πως εμείς οι Ελληνάρες που με τα βίας θα φέρουμε 10 PS5 στη χώρα μας στις 19 του Νοέμβρη θα κάνουμε leak το UI της κονσόλας.
Αδερφέ μου συγκρίνεις τώρα την βούρτσα με την π....
Για αυτό κάποιο που ασχολούνται περισσότερο έχουν καταφύγει σε αυτά τα site μπας και ξεστραβωθουν από την αμάθεια και την άγνοια της ελληνικής gaming κοινότητας.....

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Oddle + RDO has cpu overhead doesn't it? I still think you are wrong on that.

Nope... you are thinking only of the optional additional BC7 tile reordering (BC7Prep that can be used with or without the base Oodle Texture RDO optimisation) that requires either CPU or GPU overhead. Beside that optional step, the RDO one has zero runtime cost on PS5.
rdXPsCr.jpg

y1M4pAs.jpg

Just because sony said they could decompress 22GB's per second, doesn't mean they will get anywhere close to achieving that in a game/real world scenario.
Likely not, I agree that maxing put the 22 GB/s is extremely unlikely/rare, but between 9 GB/s and 22 GB/s there is quite a chasm (which we have seen Oodle demonstrate that can be crossed too) and Cerny has yet to hype something that is mostly theoretical and almost impossible to achieve as that is not the style of its designs so far.

btw i wasn't quoting those tweets, but I did quote patent info. i guess we will see how it all plays out especially after one of the MS patents mentions using Machine learning for texture scaling in combination with texture compression, which should be capable of some pretty interesting "effective performance multiplier" numbers they have yet to put out there.

We will, XSX has certainly extra FLOPS they can dedicate to ML (both consoles have to choose since the ML has not HW engines for that, next generation will for sure ;)... mid generation upgrades if they happen will focus on RT and 8K IMHO).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom