• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gofreak posted these at Reeee:

12AlrpH.png

That's what the patent talks about... cooling solution from both the front and the back of the chip... and it makes sense with the devkit's appearance!

That would totally explain that crazy dev kit design, normally a dev kit is just a plain box with some switches and lights, but they did that design for a reason, I bet the finally design has some charateristics of the dev kit with the 'V' design.

onQ123

By this "leak" the ps5 is going to be weak as the xbox(both versions) will be both comparable in power for one model and much stronger with other model? 🤣😂

Not only does this leak make no sense it would be game over for Sony if it were true. The edge on power and performance Phil talked about(going by this) is a steam roll for them. A 4 TF+ difference? Come on people.

PS5 sample chip was clocked low at 1GHz back then so it most likely confused some people into thinking that it was going to be 8TF

Last edited:

vpance

12AlrpH.png

That's what the patent talks about... cooling solution from both the front and the back of the chip... and it makes sense with the devkit's appearance!

I wonder if double heatsink with 2 slower fans is more efficient than 1 that's faster. Seems like it should be assuming they figured out a way to divide the heat evenly to both sides. Even if it's not I guess it's a good way to have a quieter box.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

12AlrpH.png

I'm hyped for this version of reality.

A stacked chip would explain why if the smaller chip rumors are true, insiders are still pointing to the PS5 having a small performance edge. And I love the TDP implications of cooling it from both ends, gib me ALL THE TDP.

LordOfChaos

Why would you need V shaped box to fit that in? I mean, last gen dev kit would be even better fit for it.

See the yellow and orange? Heat pipes terminating in big ol heatsinks within the sides of the V. It doesn't NEED to be a V for that, but it does fit the design.

(Also channeing airflow into a wind tunnel has benefits, so maybe a V is best for this idea after all, then-again-again they could do wind tunnels with any shape and just have the shaping internally)

Last edited:

John117

V= 5th ge
See the yellow and orange? Heat pipes terminating in big ol heatsinks within the sides of the V. It doesn't NEED to be a V for that, but it does fit the design.
Yep. Your idea is interesting :D However the DevKit is very cool, maybe the final version would be ugly for the mass but I love this dev kit

Why would you need V shaped box to fit that in? I mean, last gen dev kit would be even better fit for it.
if you want it to look like a og xbox one, but i don't see how it would blow air like the v shape, and i rather have a v shaped box than an xbox one design, there is still that mac pro trash can design tho.

Mass Shift

Well they do have that new cooling patent...

They're going to need it. Seriously, if the clocks that are being thrown around have any validity to them then the PS5 is going to have to have the better engineering of the two consoles.

Side note - It's amazing how the PS5's numbers keep inching higher every 24hrs. By Friday, it should be a 16TF console with 24GBs of HBM and clocked @3000GHz.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

12AlrpH.png

According to this the APU looks HUGE.
Side note - It's amazing how the PS5's numbers keep inching higher every 24hrs. By Friday, it should be a 16TF console with 24GBs of HBM and clocked @3000GHz.
Don't push it:messenger_grinning_squinting:.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

They're going to need it. Seriously, if the clocks that are being thrown around have any validity to them then the PS5 is going to have to have the better engineering of the two consoles.

Let’s just be glad sub 10TF is dead and buried.

DJ12

So apparently Klee confirmed the TF number for Xbox not the 64CU part. green hype deflated 🤣
Cannot see how 12 tflops is 12 tflops makes no difference to the end user how many cus it's got.
Obviously it stops the ms will just over clock it and beat let narrative, but they all believe ps5 is 8 tflops anyway right...

TLZ

Banned
Yeah, if they're going to call it "just Xbox", but possibly add other consoles in the future, that presumably would be Xbox too, just a different series, but it's all the same, it's still Xbox - that's not confusing at all...

giphy.gif

Fake

chiplet design with different ram setups? possible?
Dunno, but the way that picture was show. I watched any HBM livestream event from AMD and they really do some kinda strange stuff for stack HBM.
Again, I also dunno what this will be translated to the dev space.
Again of again, just mere speculation. The basic scenario was GDDR6 vs GDDR6.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That is not what I was talking about.

Base PS4 profile will use 18 CUs
Pro profile will use 36 CUs

So why would they build a new machine that will still only have 36 CUs, not leaving a whole lot of room for PS5 based features?

To me, for what they want to achieve with 4K/60 plus RT, etc., the CU count would have to be higher.

To add to this, since the Pro is setup with two 20CU banks (2 disabled), wouldn’t it make sense to add another 20CU bank for 3 in a row, 2 disabled on each for a total of 54CUs?

7nm, higher clocks, more efficient, RDNA+, etc..

Literally the first "leak" said 14.2, then there was the guy who took a photo at a Sony meeting saying it was 13 or something. (photo was not of the actual slide)

And cannot you see, if xbox is 12, and I think there is probably some mathmatical gymnastics happening there, then PS5 being more powerful, which EVERYONE is saying other than the MS shills, that only get information from Microsoft, 13 makes sense, it maybe more, it maybe less, but actual results from actual hardware have Playstation doing better, from multiple sources.

So enjoy your time basking in the sun, it will be over soon and I expect another hiatus from the boards from you, until you think it's safe to come back or MS announce they have increased the clock speed to be more competitive.... again.
Enjoy making pretend lol

“Take It To The Bank” Also so if i want to be verified, how can i be assured what i give wont be out in the internet? Id love to show, but i want someone like Tyler to assure me.

-kb-

V shape is made to facilitate devkit stacking you can see the two groves on top. This way you only have air flow in front and back of the console.

Imagine below picture but with PS5s devkits.

xbox_scorpio_dev_kits_stacked1.jpg

theres no real proof of this, why does the console need to be stackable but no other console in the past has required it?.

Also I don’t quite understand how every other squarish console isn’t stackable?. Seems more stackable then this design.

Last edited:

Insane Metal

Gold Member
The best insider Komachi already said the soc is 300mm^2, and xbox bigger • more cus• @ 350mm^2
He's not an insider though. He's looking through publicly released data of unregistered products and making assumptions. Anyway, as the rumors suggest, the XSX has more CUs while the PS5 has higher clocks. More CUs = wider area. Also more expensive to make. If Sony's cooling solution pays off it's a very smart move to cut costs.

Prediction time!

XSX = 56CUs @ ~1.690Ghz = 12.1TF
PS5 = 52CUs @ ~2.000Ghz = 13.3TF

-kb-

He's not an insider though. He's looking through publicly released data of unregistered products and making assumptions. Anyway, as the rumors suggest, the XSX has more CUs while the PS5 has higher clocks. More CUs = wider area. Also more expensive to make. If Sony's cooling solution pays off it's a very smart move to cut costs.

Prediction time!

The higher clocks may end up being more expensive depending on the yields that they can get with chips that reach the desired clocks.

Prediction time!

I really hope that both consoles are above 12Tf.

The idea of a “V shape” console is so weird to me. Can’t imagine Sony going for that after the simpleness of the PS4 designs. If we do see a V shape, I imagine it’ll look extremely different to the dev kits.

Also, can’t say I’m too upset either way if one console edges out the other. 12TF, SSDs, hardware dedicated to RT, beefy CPUs...these things will be beasts either way. Marginal performance difference either way isn’t something to get hung up on. I’m sure exclusives will look spectacular on both :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
The idea of a “V shape” console is so weird to me. Can’t imagine Sony going for that after the simpleness of the PS4 designs. If we do see a V shape, I imagine it’ll look extremely different to the dev kits.
If it does happen, I imagine it'll be very subtle.

Prediction time!

These numbers lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom