• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

44alltheway

A lot of our questions will be answered this February for the Sony conference (Kleegamefan said it would be then and I think he is trustworthy). Whether the so-called insiders are right or not, we don't have to wait long for confirmed specs!

nowhat

Tommy ended every post with 😉

I don't trust anything that's followed by a wink.
Yes! This! I have one client who without exception ends his emails with a wink and it's fucking infuriating. Like, did you mean what you just said? Did you approve my work, can I move it into production? Are the specs you just sent me legit or are you just messing with me? Urgh.

Last edited:

Dilusha117

Neo Member
It's sad there are no real insiders here. :messenger_pensive:

Btw, VRS is AMD's technology. It belongs to them. Not to anybody else. Since both Microsoft and Sony are using AMD's architecture, VRS should be a feature in both XSX and PS5.

Lort

Banned

Btw, VRS is AMD's technology. It belongs to them. Not to anybody else. Since both Microsoft and Sony are using AMD's architecture, VRS should be a feature in both XSX and PS5.

“Additionally, our patented Variable Rate Shading (VRS) technology will allow developers to get even more out of the Xbox Series X GPU”

VRS is only thing MS specifically calls out that it has its own patent on on the xbox page.

Imtjnotu

“Additionally, our patented Variable Rate Shading (VRS) technology will allow developers to get even more out of the Xbox Series X GPU”

VRS is only thing MS specifically calls out that it has its own patent on on the xbox page.
I would assume they could have been doing this already with vrs being part of dx12 this year

Mass Shift

to be fair that was because the eSRAM took up 20% of the die area.

Don't forget those move engines.

This is why it should always hurt a little bit at the start of a new gen. If something comes in cheaply, but at the cost of something else critical to performance then it usually becomes a disadvantage later.

Last edited:
What if this new DS4 backbutton is standard in every DS5. Sony can make DS4 compatible with PS5 as long as they buy a $29.99 add-on. Very clever I should say. If PS5 will be sold at a loss, then the millions of DS4 migrating to PS5 can help off-set that, let alone the sale of the improved DS5 itself.

Last edited:
What if this new DS4 backbutton is standard in every DS5. Sony can make DS4 compatible with PS5 as long as they buy a $29.99 add-on. Very clever I should say. If PS5 will be sold at a loss, then the millions of DS4 migrating to PS5 can help off-set that, let alone the sale of the improved DS5 itself.

But in the dual shock 5 patent there are no paddle buttons on the back side . So I wouldn’t be so sure DS 5 has back button to begin with

Lort

Banned
That is 100% true . Their implementation ties vrs to dx12 and that is patented by MS :)

If it was just the same implementation they wouldn't call it out and it wouldn't be patentable.

Under U.S. patent law, an invention is patentable only if it meets the following four requirements, which are discussed in more detail below:
  • The invention must be statutory (subject matter eligible)
  • The invention must be new.
  • The invention must be useful.
  • The invention must be non-obvious.

Thorrgal

Well, seems like TF hasn't been verified after all, has he?

He didn't leak anything that wasn't rumored/leaked before, so without the mods verification his credibility goes back to zero.

It's a shame but it is what it is. I was also hoping he would be legit, but that doesn't seem to be the case

Tulipanzo

Hey, new guy here.

Wanted to ask, what's the opinion on the Tom Warren 12TF article?
Seems pretty safe it was a controlled leak to me, what do you think?

Edit: not a diss, just seems convenient it released just a few days before the official reveal

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Says who?

Sounds like DX12 baked-in secret sauce BS to me.

Sorry took so long this were I read AMD was going to be tier 1 VRS.

"Current AMD graphics cards do not support variable rate shading at all, though this is expected to change next year. AMD did file a patent of its own, after all, though it does seem to be limited to Tier 1 VRS features."

Aceofspades

Banned
I guess Timdoggydog is the only one to be verified of the OsirisBlack OsirisBlack CameFromNearFuture CameFromNearFuture Tommy Fisher Tommy Fisher XcloudTimdog XcloudTimdog bunch?

Can't say I'm surprised, though.

Tim Dog? THE Tim Dog? Lol

On topic: I have some controversial opinion on Sony SSD I will share here. I don't think there are any custom modifications made by Sony, PS5 will end up with standard 5Gb/s SSD similar to what on Xbox. The patent wont end up on PS5, I think those speeds were ridiculous and ultra impressive.

Edit: if Sony managed +15Gb/s vs 5Gb/s on Xbox . That would be HUUUUGE advantage.

Last edited:
If it was just the same implementation they wouldn't call it out and it wouldn't be patentable.

Under U.S. patent law, an invention is patentable only if it meets the following four requirements, which are discussed in more detail below:
  • The invention must be statutory (subject matter eligible)
  • The invention must be new.
  • The invention must be useful.
  • The invention must be non-obvious.
Incorporating vrs into dx12 has never been done before and needed to be patented

VRS was first introduced by Nvidia. AMD has their own thing

Lort

Banned
For those who want to know what they are talking about instead of talking bs they know nothing about .. here is the patent .. AWARDED TO MICROSOFT
Go Read the patent at https://patents.google.com/patent/US10235799B2/en

So sure sony can use it.. if they pay MS which seems doubtful since MS just called it out as an exclusive feature on their site.. as i pointed out the ONLY thing they call out so far from a technical standpoint as exclusive.

PocoJoe

Banned
Dont be so GULLIBLE!

Anyone can claim some vague shit like "upcoming scifi game from one of two biggest publishers" and copypaste random patent from thousands from to choose

That proves nothing more than having an imagination.

I could claim "oh there is racing game coming for ps5 ;) from x or y" and here is sonys random patent, btw ps5 will have thia and that

Lucky guess is easy with so long history of how systems are revealed

Last edited:
So sure sony can use it.. if they pay MS which seems doubtful since MS just called it out as an exclusive feature on their site.. as i pointed out the ONLY thing they call out so far from a technical standpoint as exclusive.
Why did you decide that they would not have their own solution? Does it support hardware? Yes, it cannot be otherwise, since consoles often use technologies several years ahead, which may not even be on a PC. And to make implementation in api will not be a problem.

For those who want to know what they are talking about instead of talking bs they know nothing about .. here is the patent .. AWARDED TO MICROSOFT

VRS is not something completely new and Microsoft having a patent on one implementation of it for direct x (which Sony have never used regardless) will not keep them for using VRS or implement their own technologies into it.

This is like when people started saying direct X 12 would make Xbox significantly stronger and another league compared to PS when it released because it brought with it a lot of features that Sony would not have only for it to in the end mean nothing at all when it came to performance or features.

Just like Xbox uses their software and sdk Sony will have their own.

Yeah, and MS pay to Nvidia because it was Nvidia's thing first and foremost. /s

I'm pretty sure it's bothers you that Sony doesn't need to pay MS for using VRS. It can use AMD's patent and/or develop and improve it on their own

Last edited:
64CU seems a bit much anyway. Perhaps the dev kit is the full 64 with some disabled for the retail model.

But who knows. They might be able to do it with the backup that they can use the ‘failed’ APU’s in the xcloud server blades.

Lort

Banned
From what i can see in the patent it refers to deferred rendering lighting techniques.. and that aligns to th GDC talk by ms https://schedule2019.gdconf.com/speaker/fuller-martin.54485

Variable Rate Shading is a new DirectX12 API giving developers fine-grained control over shading frequency, enabling significant frame time savings on modern GPUs. This talk presents a deep dive on VRS and the algorithms used to drive shading rate. Included are integration details, tips and optimizations. Learn how to take VRS to the next level, by exploiting the VRS signal with a new deferred lighting technique, Sparse Lighting.

Sorry took so long this were I read AMD was going to be tier 1 VRS.

"Current AMD graphics cards do not support variable rate shading at all, though this is expected to change next year. AMD did file a patent of its own, after all, though it does seem to be limited to Tier 1 VRS features."
This will be a monumental failure on AMD's part, if true. Ampere at 7nm EUV is going to demolish RDNA2 is every single benchmark out there.

TBiddy

Link for this one?:D Please

He didn't. He applauded someones math skills. People really need to stop drawing conclusions from vaguely worded posts (not a jab at you, btw).

Last edited:
He didn't. He applauded someones math skills:

Figured it out. Found the post later, although he edited. He just approved what Tommy F said about XSX CU's

why are the compute units limited to 52-56 range? Why not 64-128 range?
Gotta keep some balance in regards to die size/yields.

lol you have no idea what your talking about... https://wccftech.com/xbox-series-x-vs-ps5-round-1-patented-vrs-and-enhanced-haptics/

Xbox will support Tier 1 and 2 .. Playstation only Tier 1
Lisa Su will tell us in a few weeks if RDNA2 supports Tier 2 or not.

And what if Sony has exclusive patents in regards to HW RT? We know Sony funded Navi's R&D to a huge extent...

Maybe they're willing to exchange patents with each other. After all, they have signed a Memorandum of Understanding.

lol you have no idea what your talking about... https://wccftech.com/xbox-series-x-vs-ps5-round-1-patented-vrs-and-enhanced-haptics/

Xbox will support Tier 1 and 2 .. Playstation only Tier 1
This seems like a dejavu with the power of cloud and x1 .
Again tier 2 is implementation of the vrs in the dx12 api for pc and Xbox .

beside having a small feature like this exclusive means not many 3 rd party will use it. Just like CBR and pro which ended up being used by few 3rd parties . If you want a feature to be used by most 3rd party developers you better hope they both have it or you will get only a handful of title implementing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom