• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Last edited:
Shots fired

cWEpa8b.jpg

Console war aside, I'm glad Sony is supporting devs who definitely have the programming chops but may have not been very successful in the past. Guerilla devs were not exactly hitting it out of the park until HZD came.

He seems very appreciative of Sony for him to trumpet this early that PS5 has the advantage. We'll see.

I'm very much looking forward to their work though. Can't wait for the games to be shown.

TBiddy

Console war aside, I'm glad Sony is supporting devs who definitely have the programming chops but may have not been very successful in the past. Guerilla devs were not exactly hitting it out of the park until HZD came.

He seems very appreciative of Sony for him to trumpet this early that PS5 has the advantage. We'll see.

I'm very much looking forward to their work though. Can't wait for the games to be shown.

It's fake. Don't trust it.

MS doesn't have monopoly on VRS just their version of it.
Just like Sony has their own HLSL variant (PSSL). What's the difference with VRS?

Well, the difference is that Sony never overhypes their own API implementation.

I understand why MS always does that (promoting their Windows ecosystem), what I don't understand is why AMD would deliberately gimp their PC RDNA2 GPUs with Tier 1 VRS.

Imagine how ridiculous this would be... RX 5800/5900 cards having Tier 1, while XBOX has a Tier 2 12TF GPU.

Even Sony didn't make 8 ACEs (their own customization) exclusive to PS4. AMD was freely allowed to adopt it in GCN 1.1 cards.

I don't get why we must have these double standards.

Ar¢tos

For those who want to know what they are talking about instead of talking bs they know nothing about .. here is the patent .. AWARDED TO MICROSOFT
Go Read the patent at https://patents.google.com/patent/US10235799B2/en

So sure sony can use it.. if they pay MS which seems doubtful since MS just called it out as an exclusive feature on their site.. as i pointed out the ONLY thing they call out so far from a technical standpoint as exclusive.
Your fanboyism is borderline depressing.
Do a patent search for Variable rate shading and you'll see that a ton of companies (including Nvidia and Sony) have a fucking ton of patents describing the exact same thing but using those words only in the description, not the titles.
Here is an excerpt of one from Sony:
Compression of the one or more transmitted images is adjusted so that fewer bits are needed to transmit data for portions of an image outside the one or more regions interest than for portions of the image within the one or more regions of interest

jonnyp

Just like Sony has their own HLSL variant (PSSL). What's the difference with VRS?

I understand why MS always does that (promoting their Windows ecosystem), what I don't understand is why AMD would deliberately gimp their PC RDNA2 GPUs with Tier 1 VRS.

Imagine how ridiculous this would be... RX 5800/5900 cards having Tier 1, while XBOX has a Tier 2 12TF GPU.

Even Sony didn't make 8 ACEs (their own customization) exclusive to PS4. AMD was freely allowed to adopt it in GCN 1.1 cards.

Oh, let Lort have his day. It obviously means a lot to him that MS have patented their own implementation of it...

Ar¢tos

Now I'm even more hyped for PSVR2! After browsing the Sony "vrs" patents, I found that they are "spin-offs" of another load of patents for Foveated rendering for a "virtual reality" device (which is a similar technique) , and I only browsed the 2016 ones, there are certainly more. PSVR2 with Foveated rendering will be a mega improvement!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

That is an easy one in which we all know the answer to.

ANIMAL1975

BTW PSM [2], same date as the first one. mark your calendars.
So which is it after all... First PSM or ps4 PSM?
And by the way, that gofreek thread, it was a good catch! I remember reading it back in May and thinking that it really could be da secret sauce 😁.... Then ReRam speculation came about and everything become blurry lol

Rossco EZ

Now I'm even more hyped for PSVR2! After browsing the Sony "vrs" patents, I found that they are "spin-offs" of another load of patents for Foveated rendering for a "virtual reality" device (which is a similar technique) , and I only browsed the 2016 ones, there are certainly more. PSVR2 with Foveated rendering will be a mega improvement!
am i correct in saying that using foveated rendering reduces load on the gpu?

Ar¢tos

am i correct in saying that using foveated rendering reduces load on the gpu?
Depends on dev approach. If you lower the res where the eyes aren't focused and do nothing else then yes. But it's also possible to reduce res where the eyes aren't focused and use the freed resources to increase res where the eyes are focused.
You can increase quality where the eyes are focused or increase performance (in non cpu dependant scenarios)

Last edited:
That AMD let Sony use AMD's tech to customise a gpu with 8 ACE units instead of having 2.
So according to your logic, AMD is going to let MS customize an RDNA2 GPU to have Tier 2 instead of Tier 1 VRS and MS is going to make this an XBOX exclusive hardware feature? Is that correct?

Gamernyc78

Banned

This...... For every software trick or implementation Sony will have their version tht stacks up. Come on homies Sony doesn't slack thy got this.

Advantage by way of artstyle.

Gamernyc78

Banned

I mean all bs aside Sony first party devs always pass tht graphical benchmark amongst themselves. Their games usually look sublime between Naughty Dog, Sony Santamonica, Guerilla and Sucker punch, insomniac is also in tht convo. Ps3 had uncharted 2, killzone 2 and Gow 3 tht no one could touch graphically. Ps4 was no different.

I mean all bs aside Sony first party devs always pass tht graphical benchmark amongst themselves. Their games usually look sublime between Naughty Dog, Sony Santamonica, Guerilla and Sucker punch, insomniac is also in tht convo. Ps3 had uncharted 2, killzone 2 and Gow 3 tht no one could touch graphically. Ps4 was no different.
You shouuld play Crysis 2,Read Dead Redemption,Rage,Witcher 2 on Xbox 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom