• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatSu

164.png

pqlGEb1.jpg

That is not how Sony likes to do things going by history. PS2 had near 100% BC with PS1 out of near 8000 PS1 games, roughly 50 was incompatible. PS3 has near 100% BC with PS1 and roughly 90% of PS2 games. PSP near 100% of PS1 games on PSN, PS Vita near 100% of PSP and PS1 games on PSN. See where I'm going with this? Whenever Sony has worked to add BC, they have made sure at least 90% of games are supported. I see a lot of people bragging about Microsoft BC with 3 generation well it is 4% of OG Xbox and 30% of 360. When Sony did it, it was near 100% of PS1 and PS2. PS Vita also near 100% of PSP and PS1.

MS has said all XBO games will be available at launch.

Sony literally dropped a PS2 chip in the PS3 to make it BC. They then removed this chip.

MS's BC plans are completely software emulation which is 100x more impressive than Sony dropping a chip on an MB. They could have added a Cell chip here.

Sony's BC plan has essentially locked them into a path unless they figure out how to do software emulation like MS. Every Sony console that wants to maintain BC must have CU's in multiples of 36.

Its how they ran compatability on the Pro and its how they will on the PS5. 36 is 36 for a number

martino

Of course it’s not 4K, if you make a Screenshot of a 1080p Video with very low Bitrate using VLC.

just look at the Blocks on the Right. Of course it’s just FUD. But what to expect from someone with a Sony logo as an avatar?
no it's legit but it probably took him some time to isolate those frames because drop of resolution at this moment doesn't last long.

Dodkrake

Banned

Sony literally dropped a PS2 chip in the PS3 to make it BC. They then removed this chip.

MS's BC plans are completely software emulation which is 100x more impressive than Sony dropping a chip on an MB. They could have added a Cell chip here.

Sony's BC plan has essentially locked them into a path unless they figure out how to do software emulation like MS. Every Sony console that wants to maintain BC must have CU's in multiples of 36.

Its how they ran compatability on the Pro and its how they will on the PS5. 36 is 36 for a number

Wrong? Xbox One is being hardware emulated.

And massive amounts of LOL at your statement that Sofware emulation > Hardware emulation.

Are you 14?

Xsx/xss is hardware BC with x1. And its all amd. Nothing that Sony or ms can pride themselves in

sandkiller

FH4 is getting Ultra settings 4k60fps on the XSX, so my guess is bad development. If the game is the same (or slightly worse) on the PS5 then we can lay the blame squarely at the developers feet. Maybe the game engine just doesn't scale well or they just have not had enough time to optimize. If you think about it, the game is targeting 9 different platforms (PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, Stadia, and PC).

That being said, the game does look good, just look at the Gamespot 4k upload (not IGN).

FrighteningReliableGoldeneye-size_restricted.gif

Thanks for sharing, looks much better.

That has got to be a painful condition for the dude on the right,

This is why I cringe when I see talk of 45fps etc. Let's try to keep it to 30/60/120 guys, 30 will look better than 40. Either that or repeat some frames if need be.
Yea I don't want to see the return of screen tearing . Ps3 and to some degree x360 had ton of it(ps3 had much more). Ps4 it was almost gone .not sure about x1 as I didn't get one

Last edited:

Flippo

Neo Member

Not impressive? Think doing it in emulation as well as in hardware is impressive. Cell processer was produced on 90nm. PS3 was very power hungry and got really warm. You never put a 90nm chip in nowadays and will never spend money a 2 gen old chip to shrink the die. When shrinking a die you always need to redesign, it's not just passing ALT CRL I for image size reduction.
And always you need to test. So bigger the backlog, the more testing you need to do. The more different hardware designs you have used during generations (the case for Sony), the more complex this testing will be..

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
FH4 is getting Ultra settings 4k60fps on the XSX, so my guess is bad development. If the game is the same (or slightly worse) on the PS5 then we can lay the blame squarely at the developers feet. Maybe the game engine just doesn't scale well or they just have not had enough time to optimize. If you think about it, the game is targeting 9 different platforms (PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, Stadia, and PC).

That being said, the game does look good, just look at the Gamespot 4k upload (not IGN).

FrighteningReliableGoldeneye-size_restricted.gif

I have played a lot of the dirty games minus Dirt Rally 2.0. Their engine has not been great looking imo for awhile. On PC you can obviously crank it and help it out but on console it has always looked rough, especially this gen. Dirt 1 and Grid looked really amazing for the time on 360 but by the time Dirt 4 came around it did not hold up. Grid Autosport on current gen was not great looking either.

Last edited:

sandkiller

Lol, that tweet is pure FUD.

* Quick Resume didn't crash, State of Decay 2 just needed an update. This is always what happens on an Xbox. If a game needs an update it will go back to the homescreen and let you know.
* The biggest games aren't compatible? Please, they just haven't let people play them on this system for now... As if Halo MCC and Gears 5 won't be playable at launch on the XSX "pie_tears_joy:
* Not every game compatible like the PS5. First of all, all Xbox One games will be compatible, Microsoft said this already. Secondly, weren't there 10 games that aren't compatible on the PS5? Not that it matters because 10 games are negligible, but don't say Xbox BC isn't working correctly to then say PS5 is fully compatible.

Looking at the Tweet nobody said it crashes.... rather that it crushes... like "i crushed it bro"

Do you feel me?

/jk

demigod

This is wrong. PS3 had software emulation once they removed the ps2 chip. I’m sure Sony can do PS3 software emulation now with the PS5 since you can do it on PCs, they just choose not to.

Tripolygon

Banned
That is not what they said.

Yup, i owned 2 models of PS3 that had native BC. Later models relied on partial software emulation. All models used software emulation for PS1.

Nope, Xbox One relied on some hardware and software as does Xbox Series X. It is not different from what Sony is doing. AMD built in support when they were designing those chips for Microsoft and Sony.

Microsoft
Beyond that, the Xbox back-compat team have been hard at work since drawing the line under their Xbox 360 and X-enhanced program a while back. It likely comes as no surprise to discover that Series X can technically run the entire Xbox One catalogue, but this time it's done with no emulation layer - it's baked in at the hardware level.

Wrong again. AMD GPUs have had the ability to disable some CUs. Think about it, why not multiples of 18 since you know PS4 has 18 CU? Though that is not how this works at all.

18 x 2 = 36
18 x 3 = 54

This is not how this works by the way. RDNA 2 has 5DCU per SA and 2 SA per SE. This is different from Polaris which had 9 CU per SA and 4SE.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Yea I don't want to see the return of screen tearing . Ps3 and to some degree x360 had ton of it(ps3 had much more). Ps4 it was almost gone .not sure about x1 as I didn't get one

X1 VCR has some tearing when it can't stick 30, I've seen a little on late gen on PS4 as well. But, if you only miss by a few frames it will generally appear toward the top/bottom of the screen.

When they peg 40 or 45 it's coming straight for the middle. :messenger_grimmacing_

If VRR takes off, I guess that would fix these issues as long as the display has a good range. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think the tearing is quite severe, I never experienced screen tearing before but always see videos about it on youtube. Here you can see the car has returned to near-native 4K, but the screen tearing is just outrageous.

vlcsnap-2020-10-12-17h10m09s251.png

vlcsnap-2020-10-12-17h01m47s216-2.png

This is an interesting game that I would love DF to cover "professionally".

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem , I'm not sure how you game without ever seeing tearing, if a game misses the target by even a single frame there is a tear, unless they are running a buffered Vsync. But that solution can cause some major frame rate issues on its own with massive drops and all that.

Racing games are the worst for tearing, you really need to lock a framerate on these. The constant forward motion...

Edit: I should add that I can totally see the value of unlocked modes in all games, due to how this will boost performance on future consoles. But please offer a locked option as well.

Last edited:

reksveks

That actually looks better than the other video shared on here.

There is a huge difference in different companies setup. Giantbomb can't yet deal with 4k footage remotely as the raw files are just too big, not sure about DF but given that they are in a couple of countries, I assume that they have a better setup also being in Germany means you don't have to worry about shit Internet speeds.

Regarding the video about the unboxing, is anyone surprised that Microsoft have locked down certain games remotely?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem , I'm not sure how you game without ever seeing tearing, if a game misses the target by even a single frame there is a tear, unless they are running a buffered Vsync. But that solution can cause some major frame rate issues on its own with massive drops and all that.

Racing games are the worst for tearing, you really need to lock a framerate on these. The constant forward motion...

Maybe it's TV's magic. Maybe it's more visible in monitors that are barebone usually in terms of tech.

J_Gamer.exe

Dirt 5, 15 second load times for races:

Damn, now surely this is using velocity architecture also like the last one that was 13 seconds, falcon gane was it?

This seems too long for the figures we have for the xbox ssd, so is the explanation something I speculated a while back, about xbox not getting rid of the bottlenecks?

Its often something people overlook about ps5 and praise the ssd, but without that breakthrough in the io and elimination of all bottlenecks by that dedicated hardware that xbox just doesn't have, it wouldn't be anywhere near as fast.

Interesting, need to see more examples.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Now apply that same logic to people who don't care about BC on PS5.
That's not remotely the same. Kinect was forced upon Xbox One users on day one, there weren't any decent games with a Metacritic score higher than 70 that are available to play on it.

Then you have great games for which you don't need Kinect, that get a score of +90 on MC (like Uncharted 4 for example). Those are games people would like to play again. It's great that Sony is supporting PS4 games, and basically every game there is on the PS5. They changed their position on this technology, and kudos to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom