• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ar¢tos

Maybe this is it?
9afpy65.png

FVQUhOR.jpg
We would need to wait for a more independent teardown, but at the moment there are 2 chips of which we know nothing about. One (Red) could be the Audio/Tempest engine (if the logic is not in the SoC), and another one (Orange) is alone in a corner. There is another chip (Black) by the HDMI port, and should be the HDMI output chip.

Me1IPsL.png
Neither of those has Ram next to it. They are "alone".
Maybe it doesn't have a secondary processor.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Prepping for Bully 2. Good work 👍
What makes you think this is Bully 2? apologies if that sounds like a silly question but Bully 2 is one of my all time favourites, such a dam good game, I would lose my shit if they announced a sequel !
I'm interested in seeing RDR2 loading and how that compares on both. On PC you can use the best of the best in both CPU and GPU and a 5.5GB/sec SSD and still be at roughly 40 seconds. Looks like series X is trapped around the same area, will be good to see the PS5.
Yup me too, if any game is going to test the PS5's SSD I think it would be RDR2, I'll be blown away if it's anything around 5-10 seconds which is where the math puts it at (actually even less but I'm being conservative). Rockstar have a very close relationship with Sony and we're going to see a next-gen patch for GTA 5 so it's pretty obvious we'll get the same for RDR2.

Got a simple question for tech guys : I read on this forum that the PS5 load times are often 2s long. My question is how could it be different?
With a Ram running at around 8 or 9 Gb/s and a quantity of 16 Gb, it will always be 2s max.
Am I misunderstanding something here?
devs can choose to put a sleep(3000) in the loading screen. Voila, the load is more than 3 seconds. It depends on what devs want to do. Loading data is just a part of the process

DaGwaphics

Yup me too, if any game is going to test the PS5's SSD I think it would be RDR2, I'll be blown away if it's anything around 5-10 seconds which is where the math puts it at (actually even less but I'm being conservative). Rockstar have a very close relationship with Sony and we're going to see a next-gen patch for GTA 5 so it's pretty obvious we'll get the same for RDR2.

Well, if there's a patch or any code changes specifically for PS5, that's not apples to apples anymore. Would be great to get a look at how the stock version loads as it exists now across platforms.

sircaw

Banned

5-10 seconds on it, don't you dare fail me or i am unsubscribing.

Sinthor

Gold Member
I mean i know this forum is for hardcore people, the other day 99% of people laughed at the game has gone gold thread.

People were saying how shit it looks, but if i was a parent~( and thank god i am not) this is the kinda game that would interest me for my kid.

It looks fun simple and very safe.

I ain't gonna knock it for being different. :messenger_heart:

In all seriousness, I totally agree with you. This game represents a 'family friendly' type of game that will have a lot of appeal. Not only that, but I would BET that it's a game that looks different and intriguing enough that a lot of those 'hard core' people who laugh at it and make derisive noises, are also going to end up picking it up and playing it. Either because it looks interesting or because it ends up being a good game.

Not everything has to be about roided-out space marines and space women, shooting everything that moves. :)

sircaw

Banned
In all seriousness, I totally agree with you. This game represents a 'family friendly' type of game that will have a lot of appeal. Not only that, but I would BET that it's a game that looks different and intriguing enough that a lot of those 'hard core' people who laugh at it and make derisive noises, are also going to end up picking it up and playing it. Either because it looks interesting or because it ends up being a good game.

Not everything has to be about roided-out space marines and space women, shooting everything that moves. :)

Yep, a person after my own heart. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Just because we agree now does not mean it saves you from further abuse down the line, i had to make that point clear. "lollipop_disappointed:

Lysandros

We would need to wait for a more independent teardown, but at the moment there are 2 chips of which we know nothing about. One (Red) could be the Audio/Tempest engine (if the logic is not in the SoC), and another one (Orange) is alone in a corner. There is another chip (Black) by the HDMI port, and should be the HDMI output chip.

Me1IPsL.png
The red one is obviously not the tempest engine. Tempest engine is in the APU, besides a CU couldn't possibly be that gigantic of course.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I mean i know this forum is for hardcore people, the other day 99% of people laughed at the game has gone gold thread.

People were saying how shit it looks, but if i was a parent~( and thank god i am not) this is the kinda game that would interest me for my kid.

It looks fun simple and very safe.

I ain't gonna knock it for being different. :messenger_heart:

This mentality that games have to all be about pushing polygons and triangles to the absolute max with gameplay that is violent and flashy needs to die.

Remember Lair? Looked fucking crazy with its dragons and shit! I would rather play something on GameBoy than that POS.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if there's a patch or any code changes specifically for PS5, that's not apples to apples anymore. Would be great to get a look at how the stock version loads as it exists now across platforms.
I would think a next-gen patch would come both to the PS5 and the Series X (hopefully) but yeah a comparison before and after the patch would be a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Neither of those has Ram next to it. They are "alone".
Maybe it doesn't have a secondary processor.

Maybe embedded memory on the secondary processor, myabe the RAM is on the other side of the board, maybe it is using main RAM at a much reduced frequency when in standby... or...

Or maybe... just maybe.... it does not have a secondary processor at all and since the variable frequency approach works well they just boot the entire system with CPU, GPU (maybe not the GPU), and main RAM (or a portion of the latter) at some ridiculous low frequency... when the system is in standby.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Maybe this is it?
9afpy65.png

FVQUhOR.jpg

PS4 PRO had 1 GB of DDR3 not 2 GB, that diagram is wrong. And how can a 'low power' secondary processor be nearly as big as the APU? I remember Cerny talking of a 'tiny chip' for some background tasks.

Edit: GB/Gb confusion, i was wrong.

Last edited:
For the Alanah Pearce one? :messenger_tears_of_joy: That was the funniest one, everybody else must have made sure everything was updated and did run throughs first to avoid glitches, girl just turned it on and went for it. Probably not the ad MS was looking for. LOL

Lol no in the twitch clip. Some people in the comment section was blaming the capture card for it crashing like that.

Sinthor

Gold Member
This mentality that games have to all be about pushing polygons and triangles to the absolute max with gameplay that is violent and flashy needs to die.

Remember Lair? Looked fucking crazy with its dragons and shit! I would rather play something on GameBoy than that POS.
Man, I must be one of the only people who actually LIKED Lair. I didn't have problems with the motion controls and you didn't even have to use them. The visuals though and the soundtrack....was damn good. I think that game got hosed.

TheAssist

I think the dual sense is the most exciting thing early next gen.
Maybe I'm hyping it up a bit too much in my head, but there are so many possibilities with this thing.
Honestly, astro bot has become one of my more hyped game to come out on next gen consoles this year. At least when it comes to new tech.

The quote from the japanese guy who played godfall has really stirred up my imagination. Being able to feel an enemy hit your shield on the one side of the controller while you can independently of that fell the sword hitting an enemy on the other side. Thats so cool. Gunfeel will be so much better with that. Maybe thats finally a reason to play FPS's on a console.

Really looking forward to it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Man, I must be one of the only people who actually LIKED Lair. I didn't have problems with the motion controls and you didn't even have to use them. The visuals though and the soundtrack....was damn good. I think that game got hosed.

Lair didn't ship with an alternate control scheme. It got patched in eventually along with the fixes for the game. The launch of that game was a total disaster.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Lair didn't ship with an alternate control scheme. It got patched in eventually along with the fixes for the game. The launch of that game was a total disaster.
Maybe for some I guess. I never had issues with it. Don't remember if I had it right when it launched but I'm pretty sure I did. Oh well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom