• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Demand

Banned
So let me get this straight. The exact quote Mr. Otori says is "The sound of the cooling fan during the game varies depending on the situation, but PS5 is generally quieter than PS4"" and from your point of view we can't say that there are situations where the PS5 is louder than the PS4? Because that's all I'm saying.
Seeing that we don't know in which situations the PS5 is louder than the PS4, saying that it will be quieter or louder than the PS4 when playing games is spreading FUD.
I was just making the point that some posters here were saying that the PS5 would always be quieter than the PS4.

That’s not what the Sony engineer is saying. How did you come to that conclusion? Stop talking FUD.

Zadom

You're getting out of control, take a breath and relax. Jokes and humor are one thing but you're getting aggressive for some reason, they ain't right dude.

I have made lots of mistakes or misquoted something on this forum, it does not mean i was intentionally spreading fud about something either. How many mistakes have you made? I am sure you have made plenty.

Chill out and stop getting so wound up. This particular forum has been pretty chilled out the last few days, don't ruin it for everyone think and remember, we are a community.

fish Rule
xxxx

Sweet Jesus i am beginning to sound like Mod of War Mod of War CRY

UX04wJA.jpg

Nowcry

the next gen render pipeline scale with number of cu because mesh shader scale with and rely a lot on cu (SM for nvidia)

extract of nvidia presentation to support that :

meshlets_pipeline.png

• Higher scalability through shader units by reducing fixed-function impact in primitive processing. The generic purpose use of modern GPUs helps a greater variety of applications to add more cores and improve shader’s generic memory and arithmetic performance. (geometry engine is SOOOOOOO crucial)
  • Flexibility in defining the mesh topology and creating graphics work. The previous tessellation shaders were limited to fixed tessellation patterns while geometry shaders suffered from an inefficient threading, unfriendly programming model which created triangle strips per-thread.

• Vertices are processed in parallel across the workgroup’s threads, just like the original vertex shaders.
  • Vertex shaders can be made mostly compatible with mesh shaders with a few preprocessor insertions.
  • Less data needs to be fetched due to greater vertex re-use (classic vertex shaders operate with a limit of max_vertices = 32 and max_primitives = 32). Average triangle mesh valences suggest that using twice the amount of triangles as vertices is beneficial.
  • All data loads are handled via shader instructions instead of the classic fixed function primitive fetch and therefore scales better with more Streaming Multiprocessors. It also allows easier use of custom vertex encodings to further reduce bandwidth.
I totally agree with you. However CUs have to be well fed from the caches so that parallel processing can take advantage.

My big problem is not betting on parallelization that has been working for years, my problem is hanging 8 DCUs per branch. RDNA1 could not take advantage of 5 DCUs per branch in the 5700XT and I understand that solutions have been taken but I think that reaching 8 DCUs per branch seems like an excessive improvement.

We should have seen a big improvement in cache sizes and the main clock.

However, that is not what is shown in the Hotchip although it is true that the L0 cache should be a solution to get 10 or 12 CU automatically. Maybe 14 or 16 CU with a low level programming with a lot of care.

I still think the SX would be perfect with 6 branches of 9 CU each. It would be 12 TFLOPS easy for devs. Right now I think it's 12 difficult Tflops. And they require great care with the caches or you will saturate them, not only stopping the surplus CUs from performing, but you could also block the work of the others due to overload.

Lowering the use of the CU quite a bit. However, I also believe that with care you can use all or most of the hardware, but to have that level of investment in low-level programming you need to sell many consoles and you dominate the market well.

And I do not believe from my humble opinion that it will achieve it. And gamepass won't help those investments in low level programming either.

They are all my speculations, maybe everything is perfect but it is not what it seems.

And I think that no AMD GPU leaked so far exceeds 10 CU per branch may also be indicative.
a greeting

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Man, Yakuza looks like shit, and will have parity with PS5. Assets are more likely 1080p, 4K can't make it any better. Same with Dirt 5, it simply looks very bad. Sekiro is old game and won't talk about it, and Hitman on PS5 even for a grossgen is galaxies ahead of Yakuza and Dirt 5 on XSX. You can't keep blaming the devs, trust me:

49996187516_56469ff3c1_4k.jpg

Yakuza, it wasn't even labeled as 4K in the official xbox website before they overhauled the page:

Yakuza-Like-A-Dragon_Ichiban-1.png

party-1602283319812.png

Even Avengers, the fucking mediocre game, looks better on PS5

50034614552_f421da38f2_o.jpg

50034355776_29f86b47b0_o.jpg

DIRT 5

nws_20200625160439_1.jpg

GT Sport at 1440p checkerboarded to 4K on PS4 Pro:

Gran%20Turismo%E2%84%A2SPORT_20171020174407.jpg

And here, so you don't be upset, Forza 7 on XOX:

XOX_001.jpg

People aren't blind, DIRT 5 and Yakuza look like shit, and that's the only thing we saw running in a dodgy way.
Bo, you do realize dirt 5 is going to look like shit on the ps5 as well, right?

Right?

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Just a heads up boys, Sony updated the PlayStation Network avatars today. In a moment of sheer brilliance, Sony have added, completely free of charge I remind you, the beloved character of Knack, brainchild of Mark Cerny, creator of the legendary 2013 game Knack, and its universally praised masterpiece of a sequel, Knack II. Do be sure not to miss this incredible opportunity to bestow your PSN profile with the iconic character from Sony's flaghsip PlayStation 4 franchise.

fWQ8duk.jpg
tumblr_inline_o8usunX4SD1qgck7s_500.gif

PaintTinJr

We'll see. I'm confident that the next-gen machines will be entirely trashed by the next-gen of cards (Nvidia 4000, AMD 7000). There are even rumors that we might start to see m.2 slots on the GPUs themselves by then. Technology moves forward, making even very smart designs weak in the face of brute force progression. In terms of RT, we might have already seen higher levels of RT on the 2000 series than what we will see in the consoles (the PS5 doesn't really scream champion there so far, more careful compromise), but we'll see how it goes down the line.
I don't quite get your response. UE5 nanite(atomview) has surpassed detail level the human eye can discern (or even camera, with the copying a copy degradation issue now moot), and so can't really be improved upon. Neither nvidia or amd have matched the nanite/lumen real-time interactive engine demo by visual fidelity, yet.

The best they can achieve is parity to that detail level - at a higher resolution, with more dynamic forward rendering assets using HW RT and a frame-rate boost some time in the future- but picture quality is already so unreal :) on PS5 and PC GPUs are behind, despite having GPUs that computationally destroy the PS5's GPU, which points to the IO solution being the paradigm shift.

If the future of PC gaming needs a nvidia 4000, AMD 7000 card to have an SSD surface mounted, then we are at least 5years away from that being a £200 card, which means PC gaming will have trailed the PS5(and likely the XsX) for 3 of those years - which will be when mid-gen refreshes hit IMHO.

Last edited:
3600, guys.

We're almost there. This is the last turn on this race. We see the finish line. It's less than 30 days away.

Both consoles look to be beasts. Both companies have premier talent that should be developing premier gaming experiences for these next gen machines.

This is going to be a fun and enjoyable generation for everybody. Some big news is probably coming down the pipeline in the next few days that should only further enforce how exciting this generation will be for everybody.

Let's enjoy some video games.

mitchman

Gold Member
I actually think its quite telling that Sony hasn't shown any BC games like MS. Reason? Well, I believe most of them will run unpatched, and will therefore perform significantly worse than they will on the Xbox, taking no advantage of the PS5s extra power.
The facts are that a locked 30 fps game in BC on XSX will still be locked, unless it's patched to have unlocked framerate. Same with PS5. XSX has shown a cherry-pick of unlocked fps games so far in BC mode, of which they have far fewer games that are actually BC. PS5 has 99.7% compatibility with PS4 games, all 4000+ of them, and unlocked fps or dynamic res games can handles boost mode will run much better there as well, that has been explained already both by Cerny and others. You mentioned telling? How many XSX native games have been shown compared to PS5? Why do you think MS needs to show BC? Perhaps because they have little else to show? *thinking*

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
Just a heads up boys, Sony updated the PlayStation Network avatars today. In a moment of sheer brilliance, Sony have added, completely free of charge I remind you, the beloved character of Knack, brainchild of Mark Cerny, creator of the legendary 2013 game Knack, and its universally praised masterpiece of a sequel, Knack II. Do be sure not to miss this incredible opportunity to bestow your PSN profile with the iconic character from Sony's flaghsip PlayStation 4 franchise.

fWQ8duk.jpg
d075ElS.png

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Bo, you do realize dirt 5 is going to look like shit on the ps5 as well, right?

Right?
The only things we've seen running on XSX that are actual next-gen games are Dirt 5 and Yakuza, and both aren't exactly graphical stunners.

We aren't going to hear the end of that from people like Bo until something more is shown lol

It's fair to be suspicious, but of course every Sony fan is running with the idea that it's definitely because the XSX isn't as capable as PS5.. that's why we haven't seen stuff running on XSX.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The only things we've seen running on XSX that are actual next-gen games are Dirt 5 and Yakuza, and both aren't exactly graphical stunners.

We aren't going to hear the end of that from people like Bo until something more is shown lol

It's fair to be suspicious, but of course every Sony fan is running with the idea that it's definitely because the XSX isn't as capable as PS5.. that's why we haven't seen stuff running on XSX.

Xbox fans while we enjoy the ride of PS5... :messenger_winking_tongue:

Yc2iqWn.gif

anaphase

I hope this does not come of as racist, its not meant to but are they any good white basketball players.?

Relevance?

Lance blew in Lebron's ear. You can blow in the PS5 controller... so you threw me off there a bit.

To answer your question, there are... a handful lol. There are many great black and overseas players. I could probably count like 5 white guys that are actually good in the league off the top of my head. There aren't that many white players in the league at all, let alone good ones.

sircaw

Banned

i think its fair to ask for these companies to show stuff. $500 dollars is a lot of people to people, and i can understand them wanting to see the goods before they shell out.

At the end of the Day, its not bo's fault there are not games, its Microsofts.

geordiemp

Yes, it was reasonably done, with minor cheap attempts to cast shadow but nothing serious. Richard is more mature than Alex in hiding his bias.

2 things Richard is hung up on,

1. He keeps repeating how huge ps5 is, factually its 20 % longer than ps4 pro. 20 % but he goes on as if its twice the size. He is showing bias here. If he was a decent engineer he would just say 20 % bigger than pro rather than emotional garbage.

2. He keeps saying Ps5 is fast and narrow and XSX is wide design. Someone needs to explain to him they both have 4 shader arrays, therefore on silicon they have the same width, ps5 is faster and XSX is a longer array not wider.

They should stick to software analysis IMO.

Last edited:

xacto

I wonder how good will ray-traced Minecraft run on PS5, what do you think Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem ?

But we do need same games to run on XSX and PS5 and do a direct comparison, before we sway to one side or the other. And I am pretty sure both machines will run pretty close to each other, especially 3rd party.

Still Dirt 5 looks pretty dirty, no matter what console it will run on.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
2 things Richard is hung up on,

1. He keeps repeating how huge ps5 is, factually its 20 % longer than ps4 pro. 20 % but he goes on as if its twice the size. He is showing bias here. If he was a decent engineer he would just say 20 % bigger than pro rather than emotional garbage.

2. He keeps saying Ps5 is fast and narrow and XSX is wide design. Someone needs to explain to him they both have 4 shader arrays, therefor on silicon they have the same width, ps5 is faster and XSX is a longer array not wider.

They shoulk stick to software analysis IMO.

He's just a youtuber, don't overestimate his expertise. If you tell him that he won't understand it.

geordiemp

Until you see the same game running on both systems, you are merely dreaming.

I actually think its quite telling that Sony hasn't shown any BC games like MS. Reason? Well, I believe most of them will run unpatched, and will therefore perform significantly worse than they will on the Xbox, taking no advantage of the PS5s extra power.

Third party new games? My money is on the machine with the bigger GPU, CPU and faster memory to eek a 'win'.

In either case, Sony has yet to prove anything because they haven't shown anything! They are just as bad on that front as MS are on showing true next gen games.

The truth is coming I guess!

Most 3rd party games from both consoles will run unpatched unless they are patched. Ps5 will run ps4 pro versions, XSX will run Xb1X versions if they are available. water is wet.

I would not call offering 12 free best ps4 games to ps5 owners and 4000 back compatible titles hiding anything, but you do what you do. We will get a ps5 boost mode list closer to release IMO, but users are excioted for new games, who would of guessed ?

3rd party, my money was on MS shading it at more TF but more abstract api, then I saw the XSX CU are not a wider design at hotchips, and the now common SDK between Xbox and pC, and what we see with ps5 titles being more advanced already is not surprising of teh games we have seen from Sony and XSX already, there is a GULF so far.......

Good luck.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Relevance?

Lance blew in Lebron's ear. You can blow in the PS5 controller... so you threw me off there a bit.

To answer your question, there are... a handful lol. There are many great black and overseas players. I could probably count like 5 white guys that are actually good in the league off the top of my head. There aren't that many white players in the league at all, let alone good ones.

Well, i am from the UK, we don't have basketball as a main sport, its football cricket rugby etc.

The only basketball people i know of or which i recall are famous are Magic Johnson and the Harlem globe trotters,

and Karem Abdul jabbar but i think i only regonise him from the airplane movie. "lollipop_disappointed:

Oh yer there is that other dude that loves North Korea, Dennis Rodeman or something.

SSfox

fWQ8duk.jpg
Anything else they added?

The only avatar I need is Cloud Strife. Meanwhile i'm rocking my Arthur & John avatars. And btw Thanks to rockstar one of the very few devs that gives a bunch of cool avatars and a dope theme for free.

Last edited:

Garani

So let me get this straight. The exact quote Mr. Otori says is "The sound of the cooling fan during the game varies depending on the situation, but PS5 is generally quieter than PS4"" and from your point of view we can't say that there are situations where the PS5 is louder than the PS4? Because that's all I'm saying.
Seeing that we don't know in which situations the PS5 is louder than the PS4, saying that it will be quieter or louder than the PS4 when playing games is spreading FUD.
I was just making the point that some posters here were saying that the PS5 would always be quieter than the PS4.
No worries mate, keep trying to thwart people’s words and have a trip over nothing.

after all in 4 weeks all this discussion will be over: consoles will have been delivered and we’ll know if the PS5 is louder or quieter than the PS4.

anaphase

Well, i am from the UK, we don't have basketball as a main sport, its football cricket rugby etc.

The only basketball people i know of or which i recall are famous are Magic Johnson and the Harlem globe trotters,

and Karem Abdul jabbar but i think i only regonise him from the airplane movie. "lollipop_disappointed:

Oh yer there is that other dude that loves North Korea, Dennis Rodeman or something.

Understandable.

If you know Rodman and Magic you must know Jordan then? He's literally the most iconic basketball player of all time.

I would suggest you try watching a game, but 1. the post season is over and 2. bubble basketball is the least fun basketball to watch in my opinion.

BigLee74

Most 3rd party games from both consoles will run unpatched unless they are patched. Ps5 will run ps4 pro versions, XSX will run Xb1X versions if they are available. water is wet.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Anything unpatched with dynamic res, and/or framerate that can't be reached...

... XSX devotes all power, and will likely max out vith res and fps?

...PS5 is throttled to PS4/Pro levels, and the game will perform exactly the same as on the PS4/Pro, with no improvements?

That would be a significant difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom