• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToadMan

Why are we entertaining UBI being bought? They just got out of that ownership battle where they now own their company in full. They would not then sell the entire company after all that.

Well Ubi share price is up. Something could be happening.

Then again it’s a new console gen - all game related stuff is doing well on the markets.

FunkMiller

Say what you want about ubi (and most of the criticisms they get are fair, IMO), but CoD and AC sell millions of copies with each iteration. There are many console players that primarily play just these titles, if anyone bought ubi that would sting (Amazon would be an instant player if they did).

CoD? Pretty sure that's Activision :lollipop_grinning:

Amazon aren't going to buy any publishers. They are going to poach developers left, right and centre though. They will bleed every other publisher dry with better pay, benefits and contracts. That's what they like to do. They'll also offer a better platform for independent developers to work on too.

When Luna launches properly, it's going to be a bloodbath, just like it was in the book industry ten years ago.

Last edited:

Loxus

I don't have my PS4 with me, so I don't have a hands on experience with the issues people are having PS4 Firmware 8.0.
But I have a theory way PlayStation did it.
All this is probably done to work with PS5 Parties, most likely for cross gen chat.

Parties may have been done that way, as a way to allow people with a hearing or speaking disability to take part in parties.
On PS4 it's more difficult but on PS5 with speech to text functionality and a mic built in to DS, it's easier to quickly put out a text to your disable friend while still in the say party using your voice as normal with other friends.

Communities maybe still there on PS5, but in each individual game's menu on the PS5 home screen.
But the ability to create your own is most likely gone.

This may not be the case, but it would be a nice way to give disable people chance to communicate easily with people with disabilities.
The PS4 will likely have another update to fine tune Parties and Communities, hopefully before the PS5 lunches.

DaGwaphics

But with Amazon money why not buy a better player?

Better at what? Review scores?

At the end of the day CoD alone would just about make any buyout more earth shattering than any acquisition that came before. The player counts are what matters most.

Edit: Clearly I don't keep track of my publishers. I could have sworn that Ubi was involved, haven't played since black ops though.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

CoD? Pretty sure that's Activision :lollipop_grinning:

Amazon aren't going to buy any publishers. They are going to poach developers left, right and centre though. They will bleed every other publisher dry with better pay, benefits and contracts. That's what they like to do. They'll also offer a better platform for independent developers to work on too.

Is CoD Activision? Oops, my bad, thought that was ubi.

Say what you want about ubi (and most of the criticisms they get are fair, IMO), but CoD and AC sell millions of copies with each iteration. There are many console players that primarily play just these titles, if anyone bought ubi that would sting (Amazon would be an instant player if they did).
Just one thing: 18.000 employes. People seem to be willing MS going bankrupt or something. To make it clear, is not office or windows or server divison who make this buyouts, is the gaming division that as soon as consistently is in the red will be butchered.

Last edited:
Any game full 4K 60 fps yet ?
Take your warmy 4K UI:
ed4.png

Last edited:

ToadMan

LOL, via browser I guess the software could be anywhere.

MS wants GP to be the platform, however, not be a service on another platform. The difference between GP and Netflix is that there is no revenue other than the base subscription with video streaming, not the case for GP where MTX will bring in additional profits and MS wants their cut. GP will live on Xbox and any platform open enough to not charge a tax on MTX (which will never be Sony or Nintendo IMO), plus I would expect Xcloud to eventually allow access to full price titles from the store. MS has enough reach to do fine with the platforms they control, better to use the acquisitions to increase the reach of that base rather than worry about competing platforms. Putting games on PS is literally one of the only ways they could make Bethesda a bad investment.

MS don’t have a choice. They need to get as many subscribers as they can on to their platform. Conversely, Xbox hardware is not profitable and it’s not popular enough to drive the investment in gamepass.

MS will do deals everywhere to get gamepass out there or they will fail to dominate the subscription market, see the loss of earnings, and get the backlash from investors.

It not a choice for MS - it’s simply something they must do - MS isn’t run by console warriors, it’s run by business people and custom hardware is not a profitable business. The bigger their investment in gaming through gamepass, the faster ubiquity must happen.

The “tax” isn’t really relevant - MS will pass that on to subscribers through various price points.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Your 480p question maybe highlights a lot of the reasoning, because it isn't a hd or hd-ready resolution. It is an EDTV resolution, so consoles that only have hdmi for guaranteed hd-ready or better resolutions don't need to support EDTV - which is less than 720p.

So if we then ask: "well why not just do 720p, then? ". I would speculate that 1080p looks big enough (text scaling) even on the smallest screen option, because it is a super sample, it looks more detailed on hd-ready screens, and going the other way scales brilliantly on the vast majority of budget branded 4k tvs, too because it is a small 1:4 scaling from high quality starting point, and budget screens are rarely good enough to easily discern 4k and 1080p sources apart at regular viewing distances IMHO.

As for 1080p not being good enough, IMHO it is certainly good enough with the PS3 or PS4 UI, so if it isn't good enough with XsX/Xss/X1X/X1s then I suspect that's more to do with the UI, and not the resolution.

Why Xbox has stuck to 1080p for the UI I would speculate is actually to do with shared UI development with Windows 10. Unlike the PS4/X1 onwards that require encrypted hdmi connections that provide the consoles with EDiD info that contains resolution capabilities and the screen size to allow UI text scaling to be set appropriately, Whereas with Win10 PCs they still have to work with legacy unencrypted monitor connections that may not provide accurate or complete EDID info through all connection types, which can mess up the default windows 10 resolution selection - and potentially damage some monitors if the selected timings were out of range - as a result of the UI selecting a 4K resolution beyond that TV input's capabilities.

Sorry, you can still use 1080p, but it's not eye pleasing in 2020:

Xbox Series X in 1080p SDR

xbox-series-x-interface-august-2020.jpg

PS4 Pro in 4K SDR:

PS-Main-Menu-PS4-Pro-4K.jpg

PS5 in 4K HDR (need to be experienced in an HDR 4K TV directly from the console to use the full color gamut)

vlcsnap-2020-10-15-19h44m01s728.png

In a 4K TV, 1080p is just too old now. 1080p TV's need to be put to rest and discontinued, it's been 13 years since my first 1080p TV, 5 years since my first 4K TV.

And yes, 8K is a massive upgrade over 4K, some might not be lucky enough to see it, but 8K is like watching photography in motion, we're talking about 33.2 megapixels, compared to 8.3 MP in 4K, and laughable 2.1 MP in 1080p.

Last edited:
I don't have my PS4 with me, so I don't have a hands on experience with the issues people are having PS4 Firmware 8.0.
But I have a theory way PlayStation did it.
All this is probably done to work with PS5 Parties, most likely for cross gen chat.

Parties may have been done that way, as a way to allow people with a hearing or speaking disability to take part in parties.
On PS4 it's more difficult but on PS5 with speech to text functionality and a mic built in to DS, it's easier to quickly put out a text to your disable friend while still in the say party using your voice as normal with other friends.

Communities maybe still there on PS5, but in each individual game's menu on the PS5 home screen.
But the ability to create your own is most likely gone.

This may not be the case, but it would be a nice way to give disable people chance to communicate easily with people with disabilities.
The PS4 will likely have another update to fine tune Parties and Communities, hopefully before the PS5 lunches.

I have deaf friend and indeed it is a mess to communicate. And we all are from different countries so have to use english while none of us are native.

Basically having Voice chat + then laptop+Whatsapp for one of us and he(usually me) tries to type to the deaf friend while gaming and relaying messages between us

dyergram

On a tangential note, Sony hasn't once(that I've seen) fired off an uncouth tweet like Xbox UK did. Sony burned MS back in 2013 because it was DESERVED. I haven't seen anything these days other than vengefulness.

And done.

I think they was jabbing when they tweeted that the ui was 4K/hdr after the news xb was 1080p but I may be mistaken, either way I like it when they are catty towards one another lol

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Here is my idea on this. I'm going to install the SSD as normal (screwed down) and leave the cover off. There should be sufficient air movement coming from the intake of the fan. I of course will check my idea when I have it in hand. That might even allow a much taller sink.

Many people think that's smart, it could only work with a fanned-heatsink. PC's have massively loose so cooling needs a lot of fans to be efficient enough. That designed must be extensively tested so no need to doubt them, just have it with a compatible heatsink. I might just go for 2TB that's not good to run games but extremely fast to shift games in/out of the internal SSD.

DaGwaphics

MS don’t have a choice. They need to get as many subscribers as they can on to their platform. Conversely, Xbox hardware is not profitable and it’s not popular enough to drive the investment in gamepass.

MS will do deals everywhere to get gamepass out there or they will fail to dominate the subscription market, see the loss of earnings, and get the backlash from investors.

It not a choice for MS - it’s simply something they must do - MS isn’t run by console warriors, it’s run by business people and custom hardware is not a profitable business. The bigger their investment in gaming through gamepass, the faster ubiquity must happen.

The “tax” isn’t really relevant - MS will pass that on to subscribers through various price points.

Keep dreaming man. The tax would be too high to ever make back via subscription base fees (plus you kill the value of the service). MS has PC, mobile, and Xbox consoles as a user base. PS is insignificant in comparison.

Axonometri

Many people think that's smart, it could only work with a fanned-heatsink. PC's have massively loose so cooling needs a lot of fans to be efficient enough. That designed must be extensively tested so no need to doubt them, just have it with a compatible heatsink. I might just go for 2TB that's not good to run games but extremely fast to shift games in/out of the internal SSD.
Well I could run a liquid cooler up to it and patch it through the side panel. LOL I do intend on testing what I can fit, and how cool I can keep it vs putting the cover back on. My experience with Nvme drives has me leaning towards one fat heat sink. In the closed bay, even with negative pressure, I am concerned it will be hot as ____

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Otori confirms the console cools at the same efficiency horizontally or vertically. But he prefers it vertical because of the logo placement, lol.

Why did you stick to using such a difficult material for more than two years?

Mr. Otori: The main reason is cost. The standard for thermal design is to spend money near the heat source. As an analogy to general thermal design, let's say you have a system cooling structure that costs 10 yen for a TIM and 1000 yen for a heat sink. If you change to a TIM of 100 yen here, you can get the same cooling effect even if you use a heat sink of 500 yen. In other words, the total cost can be reduced.

Worth reading the translation in full. Some other interesting parts in there for tech minded people.

Vapor chamber tends to be a bit expensive, right? I should read it all later. Thanks for sharing!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well I could run a liquid cooler up to it and patch it through the side panel. LOL I do intend on testing what I can fit, and how cool I can keep it vs putting the cover back on. My experience with Nvme drives has me leaning towards one fat heat sink. In the closed bay, even with negative pressure, I am concerned it will be hot as ____

First thing you do you strip the NVMe from any stickers, unless it came already attached to the heatsink. I'm considering a fanned-heatsink but that needs electricity source.

My NVMe m.2 SSD 970 Pro 1TB is usually sitting around 35-41C. In a stress test it never passes 59-60C. That's without a heatsink, stripped naked but my PC case has 3 120mm fans underneath, right under it:

DSC-4133.jpg

Those are promised to avoid throttling, which usually starts at around 75-80C:

WD-Black-NVME-SSD-For-PS5-1.png

But I would highly advice not buying any, and wait for youtubers to test all kinds of them and then make up your mind. Don't buy the whole PS5 offering day one, please. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

On Demand

Banned
Speaking of UI’s. Something said on the PSblog by Hideaki Nishino about the PS5 UI software

Navigating the interface, switching between games, and hopping into online matches occurs quickly, as we rebuilt the entire software stack from the console to the network to bring you a truly next-generation experience. We believe the less time you spend waiting to interact with the system, the more time you will have to spend playing games.

No wonder it looks and feels buttery smooth 🧈

And those menu sounds ❤️

Antelope

Keep dreaming man. The tax would be too high to ever make back via subscription base fees (plus you kill the value of the service). MS has PC, mobile, and Xbox consoles as a user base. PS is insignificant in comparison.

Mobile is a mirage. It’s a value add for existing customers but I don’t see there being a big market for new players. You need to pay 15 a month and own a controller. Current mobile games have trouble with sales if they go above 6 dollars....and that’s without any additional equipment needed.

The huge library MS is promising are games that are not designed for mobile play. Level design, reward structures, etc have to be retooled to suit mobile sensibilities. How much pushback is Genshin Impact getting now because it’s a AAA game wrapped around a mobile business model?

Oh but Fortnite. That game sells gangbusters because it is an established IP. It is also heavily dependent on micro-transactions. Producing a catalogue of GAAS games is about the only way that I can see Game Pass succeeding and become ubiquitous. Is that good for gaming? I don’t think so, but I’m just an old man on GAF.

PS I agree it’s never coming to Playstation.

I'm thinking we'll start getting confirmations of which games will receive patches in these coming weeks. What games are you hoping for?

Personally, I really hope Overwatch receives one. It had fairly paltry Pro support, but I'm sure they could easily pull of a 120fps mode in that game for PS5.

Division 2 benefitted from an SSD on PS4, but it would shine with a fresh update for the PS5 with texture loading and a stable framerate.

AeneaGames

My guess is him trying not to "rock the boat" too much but at the same time stating the obvious. Sony is in a unique time with mind share, and media heavily skews toward the Leader. This time around MS has the more powerful hardware,a competitive price, and just bought a studio the size of movie studios. they want to play up the strengths and flash the exclusives without pissing off the comically biased industry

Now would be the perfect time to say the Bethesda games are not coming to the PS5, it could sway people to Xbox.

The way he's waffling makes no sense to me at all unless he is not sure what is going to happen

ToadMan

Just one thing: 18.000 employes. People seem to be willing MS going bankrupt or something. To make it clear, is not office or windows or server divison who make this buyouts, is the gaming division that as soon as consistently is in the red will be butchered.

MS don’t publish details about Xbox division financials so it’s not clear they’ve ever made a profit....

MS got into gaming to try and become a consumer electronics company, and have stuck with it to try and get rid of the stale smell around the MS brand.

The thing is to me gamepass and Xbox hardware are two entirely different things that happen to coexist at the same time right now.

Xbox custom hardware and traditional console gaming is clearly not a big revenue driver for MS. Let’s be honest it’s been an afterthought this gen and I think no one would have been surprised to hear MS were stepping away or spinning it off. It just doesn’t make money.

But the possibility of a new market place for game subscription services has reignited MS management interest in the gaming business - particularly with Covid.

As it happens the Xbox division now finds itself being pivoted to gamepass and is carrying the “old” gaming division including xbox hardware.

It’s the Xbox hardware that will be ditched if gaming doesn’t produce profits. At least that’s what will happen first.

Uh huh. Thanks for your “analysis” lol.

Let’s talk on this matter again when MS and Sony make their deal :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Axonometri

First thing you do you strip the NVMe from any stickers, unless it came already attached to the heatsink. I'm considering a fanned-heatsink but that needs electricity source.

My NVMe m.2 SSD 970 Pro 1TB is usually sitting around 35-41C. In a stress test it never passes 59-60C. That's without a heatsink, stripped naked but my PC case has 3 120mm fans underneath, right under it:

DSC-4133.jpg

Those are promised to avoid throttling, which usually starts at around 75-80C:

WD-Black-NVME-SSD-For-PS5-1.png

But I would highly advice not buying any, and wait for youtubers to test all kinds of them and then make up your mind. Don't buy the whole PS5 offering day one, please. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
I have better drives that run cool, and have others that are stupid hot even with a sink. Seems like my newer ones are cooler though. My 2 main machines are full towers with at least 6 or 7 120mm. I had a WD black that had bad placement on the MB I no longer use it would sit at idle 50c. It would throttle just loading something. lol anyway..

vpance

Vapor chamber tends to be a bit expensive, right? I should read it all later. Thanks for sharing!

Yep. Seems like he’s implying that their solution is cheaper than going with a vapor chamber.

One other thing he pointed out was that since liquid metal still has a very small chance to corrode copper, they plated the part of the heatsink that contacts it with silver to be certain it won’t happen. They really went the extra mile 👍

yewles1

You mean a true real next gen game?

Neither platform has a 4K 60FPs title.

Edit: Mr Moose Mr Moose I forgot about Godfall. So that's one so far.

Edit 2: It also has RT btw.

Although things can always change when the game releases.
The Pathless as well.

Now would be the perfect time to say the Bethesda games are not coming to the PS5, it could sway people to Xbox.

The way he's waffling makes no sense to me at all unless he is not sure what is going to happen

Honestly I think they are waiting for the generation to play out before making their decision. They obviously want enough data to estimate the revenue they would lose if they made their game exclusive. Take into account they paid alot for Zenimax and they are expected to make it back.

sircaw

Banned

Exactly what i have been thinking, give it six months and those ps5 console numbers are flying sky-high, Microsoft will start to change the narrative after the initial launch of consoles has died down.

Three years time when maybe those games are ready to come out, ps5 will probably be 3-1, 4-1 ahead of xbox in terms of sales, Phil will be promoted to some other exec branch, Sensitivity chairman or something.

Then Microsoft will just sell their games at 70 bucks on ps5. they get to double-dip. Keep there price high on Ps5for like ever and release their stuff on gamepass.

Everybody is a winner.

geordiemp

I cant see the point in getting 2 TB SSD thats not ps5 compatible, whats the difference in price between NVME and a cheaper one ?

Way I see it, 8 TB HD and a 2 TB SSD and no hassles for years.,

Last edited:

geordiemp

Exactly what i have been thinking, give it six months and those ps5 console numbers are flying sky-high, Microsoft will start to change the narrative after the initial launch of consoles has died down.

Three years time when maybe those games are ready to come out, ps5 will probably be 3-1, 4-1 ahead of xbox in terms of sales, Phil will be promoted to some other exec branch, Sensitivity chairman or something.

Then Microsoft will just sell their games at 70 bucks on ps5. they get to double-dip. Keep there price high on Ps5for like ever and release their stuff on gamepass.

Everybody is a winner.

The problem I have with gamepass is the quality of the games suffer that are made for it, not because of XSS (XSS is fine it has a Zen2 and half decent GPU and SSD just for the game), but becasue of Xcloud. Being easily steamable game is the lowest common denominator IMO.

If a game is made for xcloud and easy streaming, also made at 120 FPS for XSX, which as a server blade needs to run 4 instances of that game for streaming. So the game has to be able to switch off effects and have low taxing on CPU and GPU.

Some think these 120 FPS games are made PRIMARILY for fast gameplay, I think the real motive is easy streaming as you can run the same game at 1/4 of the FPS. Convenient.

I honestly think games like Halo and Dirt 5 are made with streaming lowest common denomitator, and they look like shit because of it with static backgrounds and low IQ,. .

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Uh huh. Thanks for your “analysis” lol.

Let’s talk on this matter again when MS and Sony make their deal :messenger_ok:

At least my analysis is more logically sound than yours.

By your logic why isn't Mario on PS or Xbox? Answer, because the real value is in the platform and that is no different today than it has ever been. MS is looking at building a broader platform that encapsulates PC, Console and mobile, the subscription model doesn't eliminate that, it incentivizes it. I'd never say it couldn't happen (MS has made a lot of dumb decisions in the past), but it wouldn't be the best long term investment. I wouldn't hold my breath for GP on Playstation just yet.

:lollipop_thescream:
people love the fishes cuz they’re so delicious. Don’t you bring quality into this discussion. This is sardines vs saltines

I love this stuff but I know a ton of people that hate them.

haribo-salt-sild-danish-salty-licorice-fish-winegum-candy-box-1615-kg-166413.jpg

And then there's this.

anigif_enhanced-7814-1435271548-10.gif

I told my friends you better open it outside and in a bucket of water. They ignored me and the kitchen stank for a week. No matter what we did we couldn't get rid of the smell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom