• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaGwaphics

Now would be the perfect time to say the Bethesda games are not coming to the PS5, it could sway people to Xbox.

The way he's waffling makes no sense to me at all unless he is not sure what is going to happen

MS loves to play the role of pro-consumer, why ruffle feathers just yet. Everyone should be expecting Bethesda games to hit PS about as fast as GoT or TLoU will hit Xbox. The usual practice should be what is expected going forward, any move counter to that would be a first for major first-party releases. Again, could happen, but that shouldn't be the expectation until it happens IMO.

Last edited:
So far Spiderman MM 4K@60fps with no raytracing, Demon's Souls 4K@60fps (no mention if it has RT or not). Same with Destruction Allstars. GT7 has RT at 4K@60fps.
Spider-man is Dynamic 4K with temporal injection used to disguise the resolution drops. I'm curious how often it stays at 4K in the performance mode. Did anyone analyze the recent 60fps gameplay to see?

Now would be the perfect time to say the Bethesda games are not coming to the PS5, it could sway people to Xbox.

The way he's waffling makes no sense to me at all unless he is not sure what is going to happen
All the launch consoles will sell out. Better to save exclusivity announcements as a slow drip to help keep steady sales.

zubairali2

EkiLrIWUYAg8Zt5

Sploosh!

This tweet says it's cover art. Had me fooled.

26 more days 🙌

DaGwaphics

Give me a break, playing a last gen game for 5 minutes and calling the temps :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Is this what passes for a hardware review these days?

Temps will creep, but you'll know if you are in trouble with thermals within 5 minutes at load, no question. If 5 minute exhaust had the output air in the 70s, it would be a concern.

The Austin guy is probably more into benchmarking PCs, where 5 minutes in Aida tells you what you need to know for the most part. Someone should definitely do a longer run test though.

Dolomite

isn't that the picture of the game that the developers are not sure what they are doing with it yet?

It's probably not the best picture to use, just saying. "lollipop_disappointed:
I guess. I honestly keep forgetting that everwild is releasing, because I don't know what I'm supposed to look forward to. But holy shit XSX on Xbone via xcloud is dope news!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Spider-man is Dynamic 4K with temporal injection used to disguise the resolution drops. I'm curious how often it stays at 4K in the performance mode. Did anyone analyze the recent 60fps gameplay to see?

Well, when it's reconstructed to 4K and you can't really tell from native 4K, that's a smart way and it's better be used like that to spare more power for better effects and graphics.

Temps will creep, but you'll know if you are in trouble with thermals within 5 minutes at load, no question. If 5 minute exhaust had the output air in the 70s, it would be a concern.

The Austin guy is probably more into benchmarking PCs, where 5 minutes in Aida tells you what you need to know for the most part. Someone should definitely do a longer run test though.

The people that flagged a potential issue were talking (truth or not) about crashes after a few hours of use. That would be the real test. Leave the console on in a normal place, no need to cover vents on purpose and then measure temps of the plastic and air coming out. And we're talking about hours of playing a demanding game, not last gen stuff.

If 5 minutes of Gears 5 get the console hot, then you know it's time to return it for repair.

But yeah, anyway, it was a stupid "test" that guy made.

DaGwaphics

The people that flagged a potential issue were talking (truth or not) about crashes after a few hours of use. That would be the real test. Leave the console on in a normal place, no need to cover vents on purpose and then measure temps of the plastic and air coming out. And we're talking about hours of playing a demanding game, not last gen stuff.

If 5 minutes of Gears 5 get the console hot, then you know it's time to return it for repair.

But yeah, anyway, it was a stupid "test" that guy made.

It's not a useless test though, because if the system had a heat issue it would be expected that the situations tested would cause the system to struggle within 5 minutes. Also, games aren't divided into levels of wattage used by generation, an old game can stress a GPU as much as a new one. The FPS will be different, not the wattage consumed. Honestly, a menu without a frame cap is probably the best heat test you could do, even a 360 game would work for that.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I cant see the point in getting 2 TB SSD thats not ps5 compatible, whats the difference in price between NVME and a cheaper one ?

Way I see it, 8 TB HD and a 2 TB SSD and no hassles for years.,

I usually delete my older games, and cheaper 2TB can be for $220-250 now:

You can have that one at even up to 8TB! But for $1500. A 1TB is for $120 from that brand and you can find cheaper ones. Fun fact, it's extremely more powerful than XSX external and internal SSD.

But for something probably compatible for PS5 gameplay, Samsung 980 Pro is $230 for 1TB, a 2TB coming later:

The Samsung 980 PRO SSD will be available worldwide starting this month in 250GB, 500GB, and 1TB capacities for $90, $150 and $230, respectively. If that’s not enough, a 2TB version is coming by the end of 2020; however, no price has been announced for that drive just yet.

I still don't trust any of those for gameplay, so I would rather use them to move games in/out if that works smoothly.

edotlee

Some more interesting details about the insides of the PS5 (Otori Interview):

Part 1
-Actual volume of the regular PS5 is about 7.2″, and the digital edition without the optical drive is about 6.4″. The volume of the competing Xbox Series X is about 6.86.
-The white cover panels on either side of the PS5 are made of ABS resin.
-PS5 supports SSD board sizes that are 22 mm wide and 30 mm/42 mm/60 mm/80 mm/110 mm in length, which are common for M.2 SSDs, and the studs and screws that hold the SSD module in place are built into the SSD expansion slots from the start.
-There are two exhaust holes for the additional SSD slot. Because the slots for expansion are located near the intake fan, the structure is designed to suck out heat from the exhaust holes with negative pressure.
-There is no difference in cooling performance whether you lay the PS5 vertical or horizontal.
-The design department provided Otori and his team with the required dimensions. Otori's team decided to reduce the height and widened the width by that amount. However, the design department asked them to make it look thinner when it's placed on its side, so they went with taller and narrower. There is another major benefit of this design, which is to reduce the number of mounting boards. If the width is made wider, it would be difficult to install on a single main board, resulting in a double-board configuration with a main board and a sub-board. Otori says having two boards increases manufacturing costs and thermal design challenges.

Part 2
-The fan is made of glass fiber polybutylene terephthalate. The advantage of this material is that it is strong and its shape is minimally deformed by heat. The fan is designed with enough margin to avoid the failure of the main unit even in a very severe environment.
-Although the company does not disclose the nominal fan noise level, it can be said that "under normal usage and specification conditions, the fan is quieter than the early PlayStation 3 and PS4".
-The heat sink is made of aluminum, but the block in contact with the APU is made of copper and plated in silver. This is to prevent corrosion from liquid metal. As mentioned earlier, gallium-based liquid metals are highly corrosive to aluminum, but copper is said to be able to withstand that. However, according to the tests conducted by the PS5 development team, even copper is not completely resistant to the gallium-based metal used in this project, TIM, so they took measures to protect it with the silver plating.
-In addition to the temperature sensor inside the APU, PS5 has three temperature sensors on the main board to control the fan speed based on the internal temperature of the APU and the highest temperature of the three temperature sensors. These fan control parameters can also be updated via online updates.

Imtjnotu

You can have that one at even up to 8TB! But for $1500. A 1TB is for $120 from that brand and you can find cheaper ones. Fun fact, it's extremely more powerful than XSX external and internal SSD.

But for something probably compatible for PS5 gameplay, Samsung 980 Pro is $230 for 1TB, a 2TB coming later:

The Samsung 980 PRO SSD will be available worldwide starting this month in 250GB, 500GB, and 1TB capacities for $90, $150 and $230, respectively. If that’s not enough, a 2TB version is coming by the end of 2020; however, no price has been announced for that drive just yet.

I still don't trust any of those for gameplay, so I would rather use them to move games in/out if that works smoothly.
But you should be able to use it to play ps5 games. Why spend that money on a drive you don't think will work. At the point get an external ssd to transfer games back and fourth

I have my WD black p50 that I use on my ps4 and now ps5 buck I just picked up the 980 pro to use for actual ps5 games.

DaGwaphics

Mobile is a mirage. It’s a value add for existing customers but I don’t see there being a big market for new players. You need to pay 15 a month and own a controller. Current mobile games have trouble with sales if they go above 6 dollars....and that’s without any additional equipment needed.

The huge library MS is promising are games that are not designed for mobile play. Level design, reward structures, etc have to be retooled to suit mobile sensibilities. How much pushback is Genshin Impact getting now because it’s a AAA game wrapped around a mobile business model?

Oh but Fortnite. That game sells gangbusters because it is an established IP. It is also heavily dependent on micro-transactions. Producing a catalogue of GAAS games is about the only way that I can see Game Pass succeeding and become ubiquitous. Is that good for gaming? I don’t think so, but I’m just an old man on GAF.

PS I agree it’s never coming to Playstation.

I agree about mobile, but it is still a plank. Plus the tech used to facilitate mobile could find its way onto smart TVs/Media streamers etc. Stadia hasn't lit the world on fire, so I don't have big expectations there either tbh. But I think MS is sold on streaming a lot more than I am. 🤷‍♂️

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have better drives that run cool, and have others that are stupid hot even with a sink. Seems like my newer ones are cooler though. My 2 main machines are full towers with at least 6 or 7 120mm. I had a WD black that had bad placement on the MB I no longer use it would sit at idle 50c. It would throttle just loading something. lol anyway..

Man, you make me hesitant for WD then! I'm pretty pleased with 970 Pro, but I would give it at least 6 months before I buy any external NVMe. Thinking of going 2TB, but 1TB will more than likely be enough for my type of gaming, I usually delete the older games after finishing them, and with good internet you can download them back in worst case scenario. But of course keep the save files.

Kerlurk

Banned

Wait for Black Friday, and Boxing Day deals.

I got my PS4 Pro 2TB SSD at the lowest price of the year, last year around Black Friday, and the average price still has not gone below that since.

Last edited:
It's not a useless test though, because if the system had a heat issue it would be expected that the situations tested would cause the system to struggle within 5 minutes. Also, games aren't divided into levels of wattage used by generation, an old game can stress a GPU as much as a new one. The FPS will be different, not the wattage consumed. Honestly, a menu without a frame cap is probably the best heat test you could do, even a 360 game would work for that.
Yes, in fact with uncapped framerates a gpu can get to 99.9% utilization, but let's be honest... this was not what was tested. No ray tracing, last gen game that's pretty much a corridor shooter. Not only you're not taxing the GPU, you're also not taxing the CPU either. And 5 minutes is nowhere near enough time. Also, measuring 50 / 60C air temp doesn't really tell you how hot the APU is running. That's why you need tools like Afterburner on PC.

I say again, this test was meaningless.

DaGwaphics

Yes, in fact with uncapped framerates a gpu can get to 99.9% utilization, but let's be honest... this was not what was tested. No ray tracing, last gen game that's pretty much a corridor shooter. Not only you're not taxing the GPU, you're also not taxing the CPU either. And 5 minutes is nowhere near enough time. Also, measuring 50 / 60C air temp doesn't really tell you how hot the APU is running. That's why you need tools like Afterburner on PC.

I say again, this test was meaningless.

On systems with tight airflow, exhaust air can move almost degree by degree with package temperature (with a delta of 15 to 20 degrees), so I'd never say that is a meaningless measurement. Certainly a sensor lead on the front and back of the board would be more accurate, we'll see those after launch I'm sure.

Kerlurk

Banned
Vapor chamber tends to be a bit expensive, right? I should read it all later. Thanks for sharing!

It's about the most expensive option, and also very good at removing heat via a large surface area.

It's also the reason, why Sony made a point of saying, their solution is equivalent to a vapor chamber, because they know, vapor chamber is the best, but costly.

No doubt because MS went the vapor chamber route, their cooling solution is the more expensive of the two.

Not the most scientific way to figure price difference, but looking at enough, you get a rough ideal.
Vapour Chambers:

Heat Sinks with heat pipes:

Basically a vapor chamber costs about twice as much as a heat sink with heat pipes, and also needs a heat sink on top.

My guess at mass production, MS is paying around $15 for their cooling solution, vs around $7 for Sony.

Personally I think MS has the better cooling solution, but time will tell.

The liquid metal is amazing tech in the PS5, but anyone wanting to take apart their PS5, will have to be very careful, and may need some on hand to re-apply if needed. But good thing, the PS5 has been designed that it may never have to be taken apart.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned
Probably already posted, but...

So all that talk of overheating about a console that runs 10 degrees cooler than the PS4 Pro even while in a box or with the exhaust almost entirely obfuscated. LOL

In all fairness, should not be compared to the Pro. The Pro cooling system was originally inadequate in the first models, and Sony got around it, by allowing the thermals to run around 10 degrees hotter. The main APU can handle the extra heat just fine.

You have to make comparisons with the Xbox One X, as that is understood to be the console with the best cooling solution this generation.

Give me a break, playing a last gen game for 5 minutes and calling the temps :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Is this what passes for a hardware review these days?

Bigger problem is that it seems that these morons are using FLIR to measure temps that the whole plastic box emits.

Does flir image from car hood and exhausr pipe tell how hot the inside of engine run? No

What they think they would archieve?

+100 celcius and melting plastic, if the chip runs hot?

Depending of the cooler and other things, the box could run 70c but the chip could be anything between 30 and 100c.

These are as incompetent and worthless tests as people whom take "noise measurements" with phone apps and zero skills, it doesnt reflect the reality

Handy Fake

Bigger problem is that it seems that these morons are using FLIR to measure temps that the whole plastic box emits.

Does flir image from car hood and exhausr pipe tell how hot the inside of engine run? No

What they think they would archieve?

+100 celcius and melting plastic, if the chip runs hot?

Depending of the cooler and other things, the box could run 70c but the chip could be anything between 30 and 100c.

These are as incompetent and worthless tests as people whom take "noise measurements" with phone apps and zero skills, it doesnt reflect the reality
This had actually occurred to me too, yes.

geordiemp

I always envisioned you with a gold SSD :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

In all fairness, should not be compared to the Pro. The Pro cooling system was originally inadequate in the first models, and Sony got around it, by allowing the thermals to run around 10 degrees hotter. The main APU can handle the extra heat just fine.

You have to make comparisons with the Xbox One X, as that is understood to be the console with the best cooling solution this generation.

Normal exhaust air was between 55 - 60 degrees Celsius on 1X, so XSX is doing about the same. Actual exhaust air temps weren't particularly different between the Pro and 1X, the 1X was just more quiet thanks to the expensive cooling. XSX sounds about the same noise level as 1X, but you really need to hear that in a room for yourself.

The Brazilian division of Xbox fired a new presenter after she started receiving death threats

Kerlurk

Banned
It's about the most expensive option, and also very good at removing heat over a large surface area.

It's also the reason, why Sony made a point of saying, their solution is equivalent to a vapor chamber, because they know, vapor chamber is the best, but costly.

No doubt because MS went the vapor chamber route, their cooling solution is the more expensive of the two.

Not the most scientific way to figure price difference, but looking at enough, you get a rough ideal.
Vapour Chambers:

Heat Sinks with heat pipes:

Basically a vapor chamber costs about twice as much as a heat sink with heat pipes, and also needs a heat sink on top.

My guess at mass production, MS is paying around $15 for their cooling solution, vs around $7 for Sony.

Personally I think MS has the better cooling solution, but time will tell.

The liquid metal is amazing tech in the PS5, but anyone wanting to take apart their PS5, will have to be very careful, and may need some on hand to re-apply if needed. But good thing, the PS5 has been designed that it may never have to be taken apart.

Yeah I know it's weird responding to my own post, but want to add:

Mr. Otori: The main reason is cost. The standard for thermal design is to spend money near the heat source. As an analogy to general thermal design, let's say you have a system cooling structure that costs 10 yen for a TIM and 1000 yen for a heat sink. If you change to a TIM of 100 yen here, you can get the same cooling effect even if you use a heat sink of 500 yen. In other words, the total cost can be reduced.

from here:

Might be the most accurate source of what the price difference would be!?!?

~$10 vs $6.

I dont know why this is so hard. He's trying to be a politician and getting himself in this mess. You cannot please everyone. Exclusives by definition are meant to be exclusive and him buying Bethesda was a GOOD move for Xbox owners. It might even be a good move for gamers in general because bethesda games have been a generation behind when it comes to graphics and have consistently launched in a buggy state. Maybe the money behind a first party jaggernaut will allow them to launch without bugs and have better graphics.

That didn't work for Halo.

It won't work for Bethesda

Microsoft generally doesn't have much of a clue when it comes to AAA development.

Don't see how it's good for Xbox that they took away something from Sony, other than their games will be day 1 on GamePass now.

sircaw

Banned
If you buy this game, knowing all we know about how Ubisoft operate, then you really do deserve everything you get.

I mean it's really really bad, when i first watch that video i thought ok fair enough, a couple of things here or there need fixing but god damn. This needs another six months or something.

Imagine the pressure those poor bastards must be on at the studio trying to get this game out. the crunch must be insane.

To me this is a game you avoid for at least a year. It's gonna need a slew of patches to fix it.

FunkMiller

It is not the final build. It is only one person opinion.

It‘s out in three weeks. Nothing is changing.

Ubisoft will continue to shit out these repetitive re-skins of games that are poor imitations of better ones anyway, until people stop buying them. It’s video game design by committee, and one giant cynical exercise in seeing how much cash they can get for as little work as possible.

Last edited:

NeonDelta

Gamepass is basically renting games, and games that you don't choose yourself either.

What's funny is that some people don't even realize this.
I see it as I'm paying for 2 first party games a year but getting a lot more to play. If I bought 2 first party games and traded them in a year or so later I'd get about 20 quid for them.

Oh boy (timestamp)

The metallic sound on ACV compared to the more fleshy/boney sound on GoT makes me feel like it’s an arcade game vs a simulator. It’s been this way for a while, ever since Origins, assinations feels like just an easy mode to play.

And it’s weird that they don’t let you assassinate a boss ou miniboss as it was fine on previous games, you’d do a bunch of damage but would still need to fight. Which is fair imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom