• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's accurate to describe the PS5's APU in terms of game clock and boost clock, we would have known already if that was the case. The PS5 also has a lower number of compute units compared to the 6800 and 6900, also more interesting when you think about the variable frequencies and "race to idle" that's in the APU.

Although the fact that the discreet GPU's can stick to 2+ Ghz as the game clock considering the number of compute units they have should say enough for what the PS5 is capable of.

Not to mention Sonys cooling solution might allow their GPU to have a higher "game clock". Especially with less CUs to boot.

Riky

$MSFT
Sorry of you dont understand technical writing, if you dont why say what you did if you dont understand what your saying ?

All of the above, PC parts at 1.9 Ghz there will be a real reason Navi21 is at 1.9 Ghz, a proper engineering reason not becasue we felt like it as that is just rubbish IMO. Soon we will know exactly why.

Also your sony comment will be put into perspective with NAVI 22, 2.23 Ghz is not clocking higher, its clocking same or lower than the equivalent PC part.

9 days and we will know the truth..

Tick Tock, times up, what truth did we learn?

Guys I though today was when we'd learn that Sony invented RDNA 2 and had so much exclusive tech that was going to blow everyone out of the water? What happened?
There was no mention of geometry engine or cache scrubers in this presentation. So, Sony has exclusive Features. The clocks of AMD GPUs also proved that Sony's GPU was not overclocked in the last minutes.
AMD GPUs are multiples of 40 CUs which are similar to Sony's GPU.

So this presentation support everything we were discussing for last 7 months. PS5 gpu is RDNA2 + extra features

sircaw

Banned

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

it's great that so many people are going to experience it, imagine all the kids that get to play it, There are going to be massive smiles everywhere.

This is an ace move by Sony, and when i get my Ps5 i am going to platinum this and put it proudly next to my bloodborne and god of war plats. :messenger_heart:

Doncabesa

Last edited:
There was no mention of geometry engine or cache scrubers in this presentation. So, Sony has exclusive Features. The clocks of AMD GPUs also proved that Sony's GPU was not overclocked in the last minutes.
AMD GPUs are multiples of 40 CUs which are similar to Sony's GPU.

So this presentation support everything we were discussing for last 7 months. PS5 gpu is RDNA2 + extra features
We already know cache scrubber is unique for PS5, regarding the geometry engine exists in RDNA 1 the difference looks like
Sony customize that part.

Both consoles are RDNA 2 customized.

sinnergy

well, there it is.

I just read it isn’t because it’s clocked lower ...

ToadMan

What happened to him?

Thread banned.

It’ll come to us all soon though...

today was the day you saw pretty much all RDNA 2 lineup clocked above 2 GHz while the xsx is sitting at 1.8ish... so much for the PS5 "overclocking" narrative right? What happened? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Power happened.

Xsex was measured for Dirt 5 using less than half the power of the 6800XT. Probably about half the power of the vanilla 6800.

So it comes back to ... you guessed it, Smartshift. PS5 will be using around the same power as the Xsex I’d say - maybe 10% more.

The clocks are higher, the power will have to be cleverly managed...

Last edited:

jose4gg

well, there it is.

Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today.

WOW...

"The long-term strategic relationship between Xbox and AMD over the past 15 years, beginning with the Xbox 360, is at the heart of the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. With the upcoming launch of the Xbox Series X|S on November 10, together we are ushering in the next generation of gaming delivering a level of power, performance and compatibility never before seen in console gaming, powered by AMD’s latest “Zen 2” and RDNA 2 architectures. Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today. "

Full statement

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

well, there it is.

Lmao it's literally the same stuff Microsoft have been parroting about the Series X for the past year.

Mr Moose

well, there it is.

I'm shocked Sony won't be using DirectX 12 U.

Riky

$MSFT

sinnergy

I'm shocked Sony won't be using DirectX 12 U.
Hardware features ... there are lots of articles to read which explain what hardware features support means ..

what this means is PS5 seems to be missing support for those standard RDNA 2 hardware features , probably VRS and Mesh shading. Sony probably use some own implementations. Doesn’t need to be a bad thing .

Last edited:

ToadMan

No reason it would be revealed at an AMD event focused and trying to sell on their discreet GPU's, although the higher clocks as well as the 256 bit memory bus does add credence.

Although I do find it hilarious how AMD's cards already have ray tracing ready for a number of games even though they're using the same DirextX 12 API as Series X.

Yeah that was interesting. There wasn’t any tip about the RT hardware and using the TMUs.

But the clock gate granularity ... perhaps refers to the variable clock per CU/RT rumour.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Not saying this isnt true but this is a fan ran account is it not?

If Xbox was the only console with full fat RDNA2 every single official Xbox account would be hammering that point home right now

I could very well be wrong

No. Xbox Wire is official.

Mr Moose

Hardware features ... there are lots of articles to read which explain what hardware features support means ..
AMD’s latest RDNA 2 architecture delivers a significant increase in performance and efficiency over previous architectures, as well as adding new hardware acceleration capabilities including hardware accelerated DirectX Raytracing
Today, we are introducing a feature to DirectX 12 that will bridge the gap between the rasterization techniques employed by games today, and the full 3D effects of tomorrow. This feature is DirectX Raytracing.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned

If Xbox was the only console with full fat RDNA2 every single official Xbox account would be hammering that point home right now

Yes, but it links to a real article from Xbox which says that it is the only console to fully support RDNA 2.0 as shown today

Last edited:

Gudji

They're not saying it's the only full RDNA2 console. It's PR, it's just about the fluff stuff they talked about multiple times by now: VRS, mesh shaders, direct storage.
It's just software and sony always used proprietary APIs, which are usually much better performance than MS stuff.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The text is taken from the main Xbox blog post, so it’s a fair enough headline.

phil retweeted so must be

No. Xbox Wire is official.

Yes, but it links to a real article from Xbox which says that it is the only console to fully support RDNA 2.0 as shown today

Yup my reply was wrong I stand corrected my bad

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom