• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am Pretty sure that Sony's answer to SAM and MS APU will in truth mean that there is very little between the console's possible minimal difference between FPS, resolutions etc. with the real winners being gamers regardless.

PaintTinJr

As I said in a different thread, I'm pretty sure Sony released a new SDK with a backport of some of the storage api for the PS5, sans the hardware decompression (but now done on the GPU on the PS4). They might also have done a compatible assets id storage read directly into GPU memory, as is done on the PS5. This'll ensure the same code can be used on PS4 and PS5 BC, and should improve read speeds even from a HD.
Yeah, that certainly sounds like it would work for older games where a new SDK will have far better utilisation for doing graphics and async compute efficiently, so effectively getting free performance to do the decompression - that was previously left on the table - and if as I speculated they also had been using the old 2.5GB(iirc) memory footprint of launch PS4 games - because it might have only had 4GBs of GDDR5 - then extra compute plus more memory would explain the massive x2 - x3 gain in reducing loading IMHO.

LiquidRex

So I take it there's still some confusion with what the PS5 has under the hood in terms of feature set, compared to XSX/XSS claim their consoles are the only ones to have full RDNA 2... Maybe Cerny will do a Road to PS5 Part 2, including a discussion on Custom DLSS. 🤷‍♂️

Congratulations RGT for being on point again. Great job. 👍

Last edited:

onesvenus

XSX does not have the below from hotchips, die shots or frequency of GPU unless they lied at Hotchips ? Take your pick.

MUJhxuT.png
Well, maybe they choose not to talk about those features? That doesn't imply those don't exist. Has AMD talked about SFS today? No, and we know that's one of RDNA2 features.

I wonder why they qualified it with the word "today"?
So are we waiting for a new AMD conference where they will show something not available to the Xbox? Really?

Typical Marketing speak. Technically true but disingenuous.

Microsoft has DXR, Mesh shaders, other directx goodies (as mentioned by geordiemp geordiemp ). Sony is using their own proprietary equivalents.
If it's technically true, how come people are saying it's using RDNA1 CUs?

How does this square with the presentation from Cerny though. It seemed they only stopped at the.. 2.25? Ghz because the logic fell apart after that, not because they couldnt
That's a good question that you should ask Cerny. It never made any sense.

The rumored sustained clocks of Navi 22 ( 2.5ghz ) are higher but with less CUs

If PS5 is using RDNA2 CUs, Navi 22 would be the comparable, no?
There's no if, PS5 is using RDNA2 CUs. Navi 22 does not exist yet. And those rumors pointing to that clock did also say that all the series 6000 cards would have much higher clocks than what they ended up having.

It's so baffling seeing intelligent people talking so much bullshit because it doesn't fit their narrative.

On one hand MS says they did wait until the RDNA2 architecture was finished but somehow they decided they wanted RDNA1 CUs because that's what some random guy at twitter was telling.

On the other hand we have a blog post which was surely proof-readed multiple times and that it hasn't been corrected neither by AMD nor Sony but we are supposed to believe the speculation that some folks have been doing for the last months.

Nothing makes sense

geordiemp

So what new things did we learn today

1. Infinity cache on L2 is 128 MB and neither console has hidden 120 mm2 die space

2. RDNA2 CU have per CU clocking and finite control and can do high frequencies and have fast caches and controls.

3. Everything else was known, feaures and drivers, nothing new just PR.

4. Yes we knew XSX would have full RDNA2 FEATURES, and PS5 would do one of their own (likely Geometry engine preferred over mesh shaders but thats Sony choice)

Thats about it, and of course AMD working on a DLSS of their own. And some nice performance vs Nvidia.

Last edited:

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Sony Raises Profit Forecast Ahead of Big PlayStation 5 Debut
Sony Corp. raised its fiscal-year operating profit outlook by 13% to 700 billion yen ($6.7 billion) as its video game unit rode a surge in demand for entertainment from home-bound consumers.

The forecast, up from a previous 620 billion yen, surpassed the average analyst expectation of 658.9 billion yen and precedes the PlayStation 5’s highly anticipated November debut. Sony aims to sell more than 7.6 million PS5 units by the end of March, more than the PS4 managed in its first fiscal year, Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki said.

Handy Fake

So are we waiting for a new AMD conference where they will show something not available to the Xbox? Really?

Well, I suppose the custom hardware wouldn't technically be AMD? Xbox has been able to document its features as and when AMD released the information. Sony might have a proprietary NDA on their custom work with AMD.

geordiemp

Well, maybe they choose not to talk about those features? That doesn't imply those don't exist. Has AMD talked about SFS today? No, and we know that's one of RDNA2 features.

If it's technically true, how come people are saying it's using RDNA1 CUs?

That's a good question that you should ask Cerny. It never made any sense.

There's no if, PS5 is using RDNA2 CUs. Navi 22 does not exist yet. And those rumors pointing to that clock did also say that all the series 6000 cards would have much higher clocks than what they ended up having.

It's so baffling seeing intelligent people talking so much bullshit because it doesn't fit their narrative.

On one hand MS says they did wait until the RDNA2 architecture was finished but somehow they decided they wanted RDNA1 CUs because that's what some random guy at twitter was telling.

On the other hand we have a blog post which was surely proof-readed multiple times and that it hasn't been corrected neither by AMD nor Sony but we are supposed to believe the speculation that some folks have been doing for the last months.

Nothing makes sense

LOL., you think XSX has frequency adjustment down to each CU to acheive high clocks ? What ?

And then you think MS just turned it off because sustained sounds better, and turned down the frequency by 20-30 % lol

Really ? Thats being silly.

What about the CU looking like a 5700 and nothing like a 6800 ? Maybe we all cannot see ?

XSX has more CU but they are not same as PC parts or ps5.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
So what new tyhings did we learn todaty

1. Infinity cache on L2 is 128 MB and neither console has hidden 120 mm2 die space

2. RDNA2 CU have per CU clocking and finite control and can do high frequencies and have fast caches and controls.

4. Yes we knew XSX would have full RDNA2 FEATURES, and PS5 would do one of their own (likely Geometry engine preferred over mesh shaders but thats Sony choice)

Thats about it, and of course AMD working on a DLSS of their own. And some nice performance vs Nvidia.

So it isn't possible to have lower amounts of Infinity Cache? Like 32MB, 16 or even 8MB?

Also people are sleeping on "Cache Scrubbers" that Cerny specifically mentioned as exclusive to PS5 in his presentation.

Last edited:

Nowcry

So what new things did we learn today

Where i learn:

2. RDNA2 CU have per CU clocking and finite control and can do high frequencies and have fast caches and controls. ¿¿¿¿

Nickolaidas

What a shit show today. Usual suspects.

Can't wait for the consoles to launch already and this shit to be over. There will be some crow to be eaten from both team blue and team green, I bet.
I'll be too busy playing Demon's Souls, Godfall, Devil May Cry 5 SE, Miles Morales, Mortal Kombat 11 on my PS5 and Phoenix Point, Gears 5, Ori 2, Alien Isolation and Baldur's Gate 3 on my PC to give a flying fuck about this thread.

Last edited:

Zathalus

So what new tyhings did we learn todaty

We also learned that 1815mhz-2025Mhz are considered sustained (game) clocks in normal gaming applications, while the boost clock will only occur in bursty workloads.

XSX is perfectly in line with the game clock.

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I am against console warring, but doesn’t the PS5 use custom RDNA 2 just a Cerny said in the Road to PS5? I didn’t think it use direct. I have both on preorder, but Lordy some folks sound crazy.

ethomaz ethomaz keyboard is going to get worn out if he continues at this rate.

Is it maybe possible, just maybe, that PS5 doesn't have the hardware advantage in every meaningful category? They both built $500 packages. Sony spent more on IO and controller in the package. It's just common sense that there isn't going to be 100% parity between these two devices. They will excell in different areas.

Pretty much the way I see it. Neither console is a generation ahead of the other. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. Like the XSXs additional CUs will give it an advantage in some areas while the PS5s I/O will give it some advantages in others.

Unfortunately we have to wait for the comparisons to find out what the real differences are. We have an idea but nothing fully confirmed yet.

Mr Moose

Which Blue Yeti is it? Didn’t realize what huge difference it makes, i buy cheap ones for my PC, lol.

Probably this one. I think the Yeti also has a Pro version (and a nano).

jamwest24

Yes... they are doing PR and people believing it.
That is why they choose confusing works for the PR.

"Xbox Series X|S will be the only next gen consoles with full RDNA 2 integration"
"Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today"

They doesn't say full hardware RDNA 2 but instead full RDNA 2 integration and/or RDNA 2 capabilities.

This.. ^ Anyone who has worked in PR knows how important those specific words are....And just like literally everything else we’ve seen so far from Microsoft, they’ve been all talk and PR spin and no substance.. (besides backwards compatibility and faux HDR that my 3 year old TV does).

FranXico

RDNA2 CU have per CU clocking and finite control and can do high frequencies and have fast caches and controls.
People aren't paying attention. The consoles APUs are both custom, but very different because one manufacturer chose a narrow design, while another went as wide as possible, with trade-offs as a result.

If people can't figure out by now, there is no point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom