• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elog

It will be interesting to make all types of comparisons with WD Legions across PCs and consoles. I believe WD Legions is a best-case scenario for XSX so it should come out on top vis-a-vis PS5 - everything else would be really strange.

Why you ask? It is a title that primarily has been developed with DirectX in mind, it uses the traditional rendering pipeline in the engine (so PS5 customisations could be a negative) and it is heavily bound by CPU and GPU computational power due to poor optimisation. All those factors should give a slight but clear XSX edge.

Since it is dynamic 4K it should be easy to compare scenes as well.

Sony can't lie, they won't risk so much reputation on the table, i think there's some misunderstanding or translation error. We have to wait and see.

I don't think Sony lied here, they said it's got ray traced shadows and lighting and that's probably in there. Isn't real time lighting and shadows ray tracing, Gavin Moore said nothing's pre baked into the game, it's all lit real time and same follows with shadows.

Reactions: Rea

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why do people think this is true? I work with audio. Simply turning on my microphone, far removed from my computer, in a quiet environment, still measures something. Whisper quiet is still audible in a microhpone. There's no need to lie to make a point on something that seems to be true (the console running quiet in taxing tasks).

Unless he has a noise gate enabled and is too stupid to understand what a noise gate is, which wouldn't suprise me.
This way if you are not retard, you measure background noise and then what you measuring (with obvious background noise as well), some of these youtubers are really piece of work...

mejin

Why do people think this is true? I work with audio. Simply turning on my microphone, far removed from my computer, in a quiet environment, still measures something. Whisper quiet is still audible in a microhpone. There's no need to lie to make a point on something that seems to be true (the console running quiet in taxing tasks).

Unless he has a noise gate enabled and is too stupid to understand what a noise gate is, which wouldn't suprise me.

He just knows his target audience and he's probably well paid for his job.

MastaKiiLA

The RT discussion is valid, and belongs in this thread, but I find it fairly uninteresting. I wasn't quite sure it had it to begin with, as there aren't a lot of reflective surfaces in the game to begin with. So the obvious way of differentiating SSR from RT isn't available. So it would be down to RT lighting, which can be really hard to identify. If it has it great. If it doesn't then that's great too. The game looks great, either way.

onesvenus

Isn't real time lighting and shadows ray tracing
No, it isn't.
Have you all been living under a rock until now? Do you think all the games you've played with real time lighting and shadowing were using RT?

Global Illumination and shadows are part of ray tracing
No, they aren't. They can be achieved by other means than RT, as it has been done in a lot of games until now

Last edited:

Lethal01

You should buy a XSX. Someone said it's "toast
The UE5 demo did not use Ray Tracing, BTW :messenger_beaming:

It did, I think it was just not hardware accelerated. Hopefully they can optimize it a lot by next year as they have said they plan to..

Global Illumination and shadows are part of ray tracing, they never said there were ray traced reflections.

I think the issue is that the interview says that neither the Shadows nor the GI is ray traced.

Garani

It did, I think it was just not hardware accelerated. Hopefully they can optimize it a lot by next year as they have said they plan to..

Ok, let's get a common vocabulary on the table. For the past few months when mentioning RT on consoles, we all meant hardware accellerated ray tracing. I implied the same definition.

Lumen IS a form of software ray tracing, I agree, but the demo did not use hardware accellerated ray tracing.

Gudji

No, they aren't. They can be achieved by other means than RT, as it has been done in a lot of games until now

They can but in this case they aren't, they literally said it on the blog post a couple of months ago. And no, you aren't teaching me anything.

I think the issue is that the interview says that neither the Shadows nor the GI is ray traced.

It's one interview with a spanish dude that could have understood it wrong. There's other interview literally one day before where they mention it has ray tracing
Things might have changed but there's no indication of it from official sources. I guess we'll find out about it next week.

Last edited:

Lethal01

It's one interview with a spanish dude that could have understood it wrong. There's other interview literally one day before where they mention it has ray tracing

This is what I said, however he seems to have released the unedited english transcript via twitter.

Gudji

This is what I said, however he seems to have released the unedited english transcript via twitter.

It's a translation made by a machine btw. The guy that posted that and works for the website said in a follow up tweet that he's waiting for clarification: "My theory is that they don't consider it "pure ray tracing" and that's why he said it doesn't have ray tracing... waiting for clarification". lol

Watch it be another "4K and 60", "Ubisoft games don't have BC on PS5" moment. But even if it's not RT global illumination and shadows it will still look great.

Last edited:

Rea

Like I said, saying "like Lumen" doesn't really tell me what you mean. For all I know all you mean by "like Lumen" is "it looks really nice"
Are you talking about bounced lighting? the mix of screenspace and RT?

It doesn't really matter but you keep talking like what you are trying to say is obvious.
I'm sorry if i confused you. Isn't lumen obvious?
"Lumen is a fully dynamic global illumination solution that immediately reacts to scene and light changes. The system renders diffuse interreflection with infinite bounces and indirect specular reflections in huge, detailed environments, at scales ranging from kilometers to millimeters."

I was saying demon souls might use techniques like this, but not lumen. Also it might be using dynamic shadows.

Grinchy

Banned
Wpjqh8L.gif

"Blink (quite a few times in a row) and you'll miss it."

GreyHand23

I think Microsoft announce their games way too early in production. If the studio making the game isn’t even sure what the gameplay will be (Everwild) then they should keep their mouths shut until they are actually ready. Feels like they are trying to fool the average consumer into believing that they have a great stable of AAA games coming out very soon when in reality most of them are 2-4 years out. Would be nice if they were forced to display a projected release year on all of their trailers.

Last edited:

Goncas2

For those who have their controllers early and want to test the haptics on PC.

This just shows how easy it is for developers to support the DualSense's haptic feedback. Just use your character's footstep sounds, or gun-clicking sounds, and you already got yourself the touch sensation of those actions. It's ridiculously simple.

David Lee's video shows this perfectly, The vibrations are mostly just the foot-step sounds: (time-stamped)

What's all this crazy talk about ds not having ray tracing? I could not care less, that game looks stunning! It's just ammo for the xbox defence squad because they don't have a game that comes even close visually to ds.
I think the main issue is that they lied to us. I know every big company oversells their stuff but we know how gamers react when game companies don't deliver the things they promised.
But yeah, I find very weird that we never really saw the ray traced mode of the game so that makes me think that somebody may have made a major fuck up in the PS Blog and confused ray tracing with the real time illumination and shadows that Gavin Moore has been mentioning.

AeneaGames

By "a design" you mean every level, the enemy encounters, the enemies themselves and their behaviors, bosses and their behaviors, the combat mechanics and how they should work, the leveling systems, the weapons and armor that exist and what their stats are, any story elements, any missions and what they are. And all of those things had to be conceptualized and then iterated over at various stages, and a whole lot of things scrapped. Basically everything about the "game" is now something to copy and make an amazing looking version of.. which is by no means super cheap, but it's a totally different kind of project with definitely a smaller budget than all of the above. And sure they'd have iterated over some re-designs too.. but when the entire goal is a faithful recreation a huge portion of the overall process is just crossed out. Reducing all of that to what you just said like "rebalancing stuff" is just insanely reductive; and you seem to just be completely forgetting that it's not just a design that doesn't change... it's a design that this project didn't have to pay for, just copy.

I totally get that it's a lot more than a remaster though. Potentially one of the more expensive remakes ever.. not that there's that many lol To go to the extent they did is impressive.

A brand new game trying to break new ground with a new IP is also more expensive than a sequel.. they all cost the same price generally either way and I'm not complaining. We have games with budgets all over the map all releasing for what we consider "full price" and there's nothing wrong with any of it.

I'm happily paying $70 because it's an awesome product, regardless of it's relative cost to anything else.

Yeah, OK, the design does indeed take more time than I made it sound like but coding it a new is still a massive undertaking which I feel you are underestimating.

Also I believe due to better hardware that it might take more time to code than back then. Although the PS3 wasn't really easy to code for. Hmm, might even each other out then.

raul3d

Also isn't this screenshot ray traced or is just SSR with some pre baked reflections like the building in the puddle?
demons-souls-ps5-playstation-5-1.original.jpg
That's not SSR, because for example the helm reflects differently than it is present on the screen above the water. It could be raytraced reflections, but for planar surfaces accurate reflections can also be done without raytracing, by mirroring the world and rendering it twice. Because it is a simple scene, the reflections are probably done in realtime but the traditional way.

Like I said, saying "like Lumen" doesn't really tell me what you mean. For all I know all you mean by "like Lumen" is "it looks really nice"
Are you talking about bounced lighting? the mix of screenspace and RT?

It doesn't really matter but you keep talking like what you are trying to say is obvious.
Maybe vortex tracing. But who the hell knows. Obviously the dev couldn’t even get the story consistent.

Sony must be as puzzled as we are

FrankWza

He just knows his target audience and he's probably well paid for his job.

it used to be that parents would say staying home and playing video games was not living life. Go out and play or whatever. Now, it’s watching video of people in character talking about playing video games that’s not living life. I’d rather seepeople actually play those games. It’s ridiculous.

Finally catching back up after another whirlwind week of bullshit.

Our *second* closing date on the house(PS5 launch day) has now vanished because not only was the original title of the estate not cleared, the deceased left the estate to three children and one of *them* has also died prior to market, so now they have to clear that as well. My lender says it can take weeks, maybe even a month or two to clear it all.

Giving them one more week since this week is too busy here to do anything, to see if they can get a real date; if not, sellers have told us we can move in early at no charge(free) until we actually close and we're gonna do it. I'll wait a week or two to close(and have), but I'm not waiting more than that. We will play the PS5 in our new home, no matter what.

Also, those load times are ridiculous. That was around 7 or 8 seconds total. Almost reminded me of cartridges in the N64 days.

And Ray Tracing, to me, seems to be the new big "buzzword" like 4K used to be when it started appearing. Oft used, but not always practical to implement yet.

The GIF of DS with the freaky looking Cthulu monster and the storm looked phenomenal, no matter how they achieved it.

Yoboman

That's not SSR, because for example the helm reflects differently than it is present on the screen above the water. It could be raytraced reflections, but for planar surfaces accurate reflections can also be done without raytracing, by mirroring the world and rendering it twice. Because it is a simple scene, the reflections are probably done in realtime but the traditional way.
Its probably the menu screen, its no reflection of the ingame visuals

onesvenus

It's one interview with a spanish dude that could have understood it wrong. There's other interview literally one day before where they mention it has ray
I already pasted this but this is the speech-to-text in english that they translated. It's not an error in the translation
zCoRb2A.jpg

In addition to that, I've asked the guy from the other article, the one claiming it has RT and he told me he might have understood it wrong. He has asked for a clarification to Sony and is waiting for an answer. I wouldn't take that as granted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom