• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nowcry

Speculation:

In nvidia the hardware RT by SM (CU for us to understand is this):

SM-Ampere.jpg

As you can see, the RT core located next to the texture units is quite large.

579976-hardware-accelerated-raytracing-1920x500.jpg

As you can see in AMD RDNA2 RT cores are a small element located next to the texture units, which are the 4 horizontal squares next to them.

So I think (and am speculating) that actually the ray tracing hardware at AMD is some kind of uniquely shaped CU drive. Each CU can increase or decrease its frequency, (and why not always at maximum?) Because within the CU there must be some type of hardware that does not support those frequencies without the chip logic being altered.

So if you're doing RT and this CU is calculating ray tracing for indirect lighting or shadows, you don't need to use the TMUs and other hardware just compute and register shaders. They could increase the frequency and let the rays so that the stones fly at a higher frequency. (but it's not really dedicated hardware it's the frequency-boosted shaders for that task) it's certainly a very clever way to do more with less.

I think AMD has no dedicated ray tracing hardware, but rather has a ray tracing accelerator (which is different), which is actually calculated with shaders (which is X% unproductive) how to eliminate that unproductive task ? Well, increasing the clocks by X%.

How to get the clocks to go fast and also take advantage of them, because with a fat cache that covers all the hits, since when increasing the frequency the HITS in the cache begin to fall. Large cache solution to increase hits in an incredible way and not fail. (big donkey)

All of this is also made possible by the 7nm ++ TSMC process and good heat sinks.

And of course what would happen if you forget the RT and use the same to make Global Illumination and Shadows? Because basically no GI and OA Shadows process needs the TMUs at that moment or filters. Well, you offer a large number of rays that offer very precise shadows.

I think it's a great design, offers great performance for normal graphics, and certainly has a great improvement for many things. Not only for RT reflections, but also for GI or OA Shadows. Adding Reflections will use the TMU and performance will be greatly affected, depriving us of that perfect GI and OA Shadows.

My theory is that they screw the RT reflection and use other techniques we do not need a clean don for the battlefield, and this lighting is fucking good and combines great with the geometric improvements offered by the Geometry engine.

And what do you think?

Last edited:

Rea

Something that has been bugging me the last few days and how the term of full rdna2 was announced on the xbox Twitter.

We all know that custom engineering basically means taking an existing part, modifying it or exchanging it for one that is better or more useful to/for that particular machine. You don't remove a standard feature to put a worse working part in.

So by all metrics, sony replaced a part of the standard Rdna2 and superseded it with their own version. so by all metrics, Sony's hardware is better or more evolved as they don't have the restrictions of direct x or the pc to compete against.

I almost feel like it's shady when Microsoft uses the term full r2dna as they are basically trying to say, we are better than sony's because they are not using the word, Full, R2DN2, at the same time they know sony's has custom engineering but are not declaring it

Microsoft is banking on people not understanding or taking information at face value.

Is this Clever marketing by Microsoft or just another long line of being rather shady.

I always feel dirty when listening to Microsoft Pr, they are extremely clever and masters of it.

Would love to hear other peoples thought's here please.

hjrPYas.jpg

Well, Microsoft has been using FUD in their marketing strategy since ages ago, why change now, :lollipop_raising_hand:

Dnice123

there is no air flow lol :messenger_tears_of_joy: smashed together
I thought he was talking about the small pin hole that's in his stand. As for the air flow. Air doesn't flow up on that side. If you look at the power supply its cap at the top by the fan. The air holes for the power supply are at the bottom so its designed to suck heat from the power supply down and through the center chassis. The Series X shape and axial fan will move a large volume of air, but unless there are some restriction it won't build up enough air pressure for the flow pattern they want.

waxer

Man, the DualSense haptics seems to work with every audio track on PC. Crazy! It's that easy to get haptic feedback...

I wonder if devs will just reroute the sound effects track to the DualSense and get free haptics.
If that's impressing you look into adding it to your furniture. A tactile transducer is a pretty sweet addition to game setup. Just mount into your seat and run same as a sub through sub channel and subwoofer amp so can use its crossover.

Back in ps3 days I had for my cockpit and gt. They even had the bumps in the track in their audio (forza didnt back then)

I've used both on lazy boy and car race seat. Both fantastic. Heard just as good on a couch.

Gun games with pistol vs shotgun etc always a fun demo as well.

If that's impressing you look into adding it to your furniture. A tactile transducer is a pretty sweet addition to game setup. Just mount into your seat and run same as a sub through sub channel and subwoofer amp so can use its crossover.

Back in ps3 days I had for my cockpit and gt. They even had the bumps in the track in their audio (forza didnt back then)

I've used both on lazy boy and car race seat. Both fantastic. Heard just as good on a couch.

Gun games with pistol vs shotgun etc always a fun demo as well.
I think this is the start of my haptics fetish...

roops67

Ps5 has custom mesh type Geometry engine with an advanced VRS integrated into the GE to do more complex stuff, as per the naughty dog patent confirmed by dev who has Ps5 dev kit.

Oh boy. And its better than RDNA2.....

aiezXjM.png

You're quoting this guy as an authority? He's a recent graduate looking for a gig.

What are you doing? Searching the internet looking for anything even vaguely PS5 positive and then posting it as if it was from an reliable source? That's disingenuous and desperate in equal measure.

Some guy on Twitter with a handful of followers and no industry experience is not your saviour. Think about what you're posting and where it comes from.

cnJnM8y.jpg
Okay I'm hoping this has been picked up and put straight already (I'm literally 2 days behind on this thread)

Dear o dear R Redlight whose being disingenuos here, it's not the same guy he looks nothing like Mr.Deezy! Did you purposefully look for any afrocaribean guy with similar style dreads so that you can cheat a desperate win, or are you really that blind? And besides, Mr.Deezy Deezy resides in Scotland not New York 🤦‍♂️

Edit: apologies I have Err'd and have been corrected by R Redlight (and apologies to you redlight for me jumping the gun), it is the same person! I'm hoping we can get an update on what Mr.Deezy Deezy is working on that gives him access to a ps5 dev-kit and be knowledgeable on the workings...

Last edited:
I am really looking forward to playing with the new PS5 controller. Hopefully devs continue to use its functions. Inbuilt Mic I'm not fussed on.

MS has to be in panic mode right now

The praise doesn’t stop. I can see the controller winning multiple awards.

I think they have been on purchasing spree mode if anything. Also it's apples to oranges on what MS wanted out of next gen vs what Sony wanted for next gen. Sony felt visual/audio and controller immersions are paramount to create a brand new experience. Now we need to see how third party games perform on both platforms and what sort of differences could be there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom