• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blight0r

Neo Member

While I'm not graphics hardware/software engineer, I think a lot of this stems from the misunderstanding about hardware and implementations of that hardware.

For instance, Primitive Shaders and Mesh Shaders are extremely similar. Does the hardware for XBox not support Primitive shaders, and does the hardware on the PS5 not support Mesh shaders? - II think its probably almost identical hardware, they have have their own API implementations.

I assume this is the same for the DirectX raytracing and the intersection engine etc. etc.

Sinthor

Gold Member
tenor.gif

Now imagine what the employees at GameStop are going to have to deal with.

Is this a joke, or serious? I mean, HOW THE FUCK are moms and dads supposed to figure this out when they go to buy games for their kids? Gonna be bad enough with Xbox One, One X and then Series S and Series X with the same but different deal...but these games??? If that is seriously how they're labeling them then fuck I don't MYSELF know which one to get if I've got a Series X! That is....CRAZY.

Thinking about it. I think they should just label one as Series X and then one for Xbox One. That way people who KNOW, will know that the Series X can run that version OR the Xbox One version, but people with XB1's know which version to get as well. Except...I guess in some cases you need the XB1 version for the Series S? So maybe label those Xbox One and Series S and keep the other just Series X?

Eeeeeeerrrrggggghh-uuuuuhhhh.... Damn. I don't think that's any better, actually. Wow. Just.....wow. Thinking about that is like....

Last edited:

TwistedSyn

Is this a joke, or serious? I mean, HOW THE FUCK are moms and dads supposed to figure this out when they go to buy games for their kids? Gonna be bad enough with Xbox One, One X and then Series S and Series X with the same but different deal...but these games??? If that is seriously how they're labeling them then fuck I don't MYSELF know which one to get if I've got a Series X! That is....CRAZY.

Oh it's real alright.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Oh it's real alright.

OMG...

So...the PRIMARY version is the one listed first. But.....what about Series S? Is that not a thing anymore? Boy...ok, I think I can get this, but the average consumer? NO WAY. And still.... if the Xbox Series X game box comes with the XB1 version as well...why not just sell that one? That way Series X owners get the best version of the game and the XB1 owners get THEIR version of the game as well? And yet again.....what about the Series S? If I have one of those....do I get the Series X version of the game?

Damn...this looks to me to be a marketing clusterfuck of epic proportions. I mean, if I had posted something like this six months ago, I would have been screamed out of this thread with cries of "FUD! FUD!" :messenger_winking_tongue:

tusharngf

Xbox Series X’s Advantage Could Lie in Its Machine Learning-Powered Shader Cores, Says Quantic Dream

It is always challenging to compare hardware, as they always have advantages and disadvantages. It is not just a matter of CPU or frequency; it is more about the consistency of the components and the possibilities of advanced features.

The CPU of the two consoles uses the same processor (slightly faster on Xbox Series X), the GPU of the Xbox also seems more powerful, as it is 16% faster than the PS5 GPU, with a bandwidth that is 25% faster. The transfer speed from the SSD is twice as fast on PS5.

The shader cores of the Xbox are also more suitable to machine learning, which could be an advantage if Microsoft succeeds in implementing an equivalent to Nvidia’s DLSS (an advanced neural network solution for AI).

Overall, I think that the pure analysis of the hardware shows an advantage for Microsoft, but experience tells us that hardware is only part of the equation: Sony showed in the past that their consoles could deliver the best-looking games because their architecture and software were usually very consistent and efficient.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox Series X’s Advantage Could Lie in Its Machine Learning-Powered Shader Cores, Says Quantic Dream

It is always challenging to compare hardware, as they always have advantages and disadvantages. It is not just a matter of CPU or frequency; it is more about the consistency of the components and the possibilities of advanced features.

The CPU of the two consoles uses the same processor (slightly faster on Xbox Series X), the GPU of the Xbox also seems more powerful, as it is 16% faster than the PS5 GPU, with a bandwidth that is 25% faster. The transfer speed from the SSD is twice as fast on PS5.

The shader cores of the Xbox are also more suitable to machine learning, which could be an advantage if Microsoft succeeds in implementing an equivalent to Nvidia’s DLSS (an advanced neural network solution for AI).

Overall, I think that the pure analysis of the hardware shows an advantage for Microsoft, but experience tells us that hardware is only part of the equation: Sony showed in the past that their consoles could deliver the best-looking games because their architecture and software were usually very consistent and efficient.

As far as I'm aware the machine learning customisations Microsoft put into the Series X were for things like Backwards Compatibility upscaling and HDR. Whether those same customisations can be used for upscaling technology is a different matter. Although I have my doubts, why build an over the top 12 teraflop console which can handle 4K comfortably but then to defer to machine learning and upsampling technology?

That being said I think Nvidia are really ahead of everyone when it comes to AI upsampling through DLSS, at times the DLSS even looks better than native 4K resolution, a good example is a game like Death Stranding. I think this is where the future of gaming is headed, and I think we'll see significantly more robust upsampling technologies in something like a Playstation 6 or Series "whatever" when they start to push higher resolutions and fidelity as well as higher levels of new technology such as ray tracing. I still think 8K is really far off.

OMG...

So...the PRIMARY version is the one listed first. But.....what about Series S? Is that not a thing anymore? Boy...ok, I think I can get this, but the average consumer? NO WAY. And still.... if the Xbox Series X game box comes with the XB1 version as well...why not just sell that one? That way Series X owners get the best version of the game and the XB1 owners get THEIR version of the game as well? And yet again.....what about the Series S? If I have one of those....do I get the Series X version of the game?

Damn...this looks to me to be a marketing clusterfuck of epic proportions. I mean, if I had posted something like this six months ago, I would have been screamed out of this thread with cries of "FUD! FUD!" :messenger_winking_tongue:

Umm series s doesn’t read discs...

Sinthor

Gold Member
Umm series s doesn’t read discs...

Oh....FUCK ME. LOL. Ok....it's obviously WAY too damn late for me to be posting! That's too funny man. Thanks for pointing it out though! Still... I wonder how stuff will be listed ONLINE for the Series S then. Anything like this? Like "Xbox One, Series S, Xbox 1X"???

And....

How will Sony brand it's games for PS5 and PS5 Digital Edition????

JUST KIDDING!

Last edited:
Kind of waste of money, if you think about it.

Either it would be better to buy OLED tv for superior picture quality (gaming stuff on tv are gimmicks) + cheap receiver. Or just x900h + cheap receiver.

Sony str-dn1080 is still good enough and have eARC from hdmi 2.1 specs = works well.

Just bit weird to get cheaper tv than receiver, unless you really need it for having more than 7-9 speakers etc. Hdmi 2.1 in receiver is not needed as eARC handles audio from tv to receiver on cheaper models too

that is prolly the dumbest thing i ever did, and your right, i did thought bout this. but the x900h was a tv i needed, im running 7.2 surround system, i figured i might as well future proof it, but your right man, ill never use full capabilities of the x6700 nomore then 7.2 system.

Nickolaidas

next year, hopefully, end of January for me "lollipop_disappointed:

Its ok though, i will watch streams of friends getting slaughtered muhu huhhuh :messenger_grinning:

I wonder if there is a dwarf class in Demon souls, Heres looking at you kid @yewles1
There's not. Dwarf is a race/species/ancestry, not a class.

Unless you're talking BECMI.
IT'S OFFICIALLY NOVEMBER WHICH OFFICIALLY MEANS THAT THE PLAYSTATION 5 OFFICIALLY RELEASES IN 12 DAYS THIS MONTH ON NOVEMBER 12TH, 2020.

LET'S GO #PlayHasNoLimits #PS5

Man ... what a journey this has been. This is the first time in my entire life where I have pre-ordered a playstation console. I am so excited - and hopefully my order won't be delayed ... too much.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

David Cage, CEO and founder of Quantic Dream, highlighted the Xbox Series X's shader cores as more suitable for machine learning tasks, which could allow the console to perform a DLSS-like performance-enhancing image reconstruction technique.

xacto

There's not. Dwarf is a race/species/ancestry, not a class.

Unless you're talking BECMI.

Man ... what a journey this has been. This is the first time in my entire life where I have pre-ordered a playstation console. I am so excited - and hopefully my order won't be delayed ... too much.

What do you know... for the fish the dwarf is a class, mate. And the cats, they hail as their masters 😂

onesvenus

As far as I'm aware the machine learning customisations Microsoft put into the Series X were for things like Backwards Compatibility upscaling and HDR. Whether those same customisations can be used for upscaling technology is a different matter.
Machine learning/neural network hardware is not specific to a single model/network. It should be able to be used both in auto HDR and super sampling.

Although I have my doubts, why build an over the top 12 teraflop console which can handle 4K comfortably but then to defer to machine learning and upsampling technology?
For any given GPU hardware, you can't say it can or can't handle a given resolution comfortably, it depends on what's being computed. I can write a shader that stalls a 3090 at 1080p if I wanted. What the DLSS allows is to waste less resources on resolution and focus those in other places like per-fragment quality

Haptic vibration also works with PS4 retro-compatible games

Redlight

What is there to answer, you lemon? Are you still talking out of your ass? Here, learn

Again with the insults. I'll be the bigger man and help you out anyway.

The reviewer pointed out that he couldn't hear the Series X running through his microphone and you called him a liar. However that is perfectly believable if the microphone isn't in close proximity to the console. If the room is big enough and the console quiet enough you wouldn't expect to register anything on a decibel meter. He's not saying it's whisper quiet he's saying that it's silent.

Or are you suggesting that there is no such thing as silence?

I have a One X and it is silent unless you are right up next to it, mere inches away. This is not revolutionary. At least not for Xbox. If I set up a microphone on my couch with the One X running it would show 0db on the meter. Gladly, it seems the Series X continues that tradition.

Maybe you were trying it with a Playstation? That would definitely show on a db meter.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Thinking about it. I think they should just label one as Series X and then one for Xbox One. That way people who KNOW, will know that the Series X can run that version OR the Xbox One version, but people with XB1's know which version to get as well. Except...I guess in some cases you need the XB1 version for the Series S? So maybe label those Xbox One and Series S and keep the other just Series X?

Eeeeeeerrrrggggghh-uuuuuhhhh.... Damn. I don't think that's any better, actually. Wow. Just.....wow. Thinking about that is like....

The whole issue with XBox is that they have a very powerful new console, but nothing to sell it. Therefore they’ve had to fudge the approach to the console to promote the ‘Xbox Family’ because they couldn’t just present us all with some banging new games for their great new console. That’s what’s all led to this confusing mess.

Last edited:

Redlight

Okay I'm hoping this has been picked up and put straight already (I'm literally 2 days behind on this thread)

Dear o dear R Redlight whose being disingenuos here, it's not the same guy he looks nothing like Mr.Deezy! Did you purposefully look for any afrocaribean guy with similar style dreads so that you can cheat a desperate win, or are you really that blind? And besides, Mr.Deezy Deezy resides in Scotland not New York 🤦‍♂️

I think you might be a little more than two days behind.

There is no need to rely upon your photo comparison 'skills' (you might want to brush up on those btw).
Look at the below and tell me again that these are two different guys.

I just hope that you don't work in law enforcement.

DOd2S74.jpg

If the room is big enough and the console quiet enough you wouldn't expect to register anything on a decibel meter.
Not trying to meddle in the ongoing discussion, but that is simply not true. The variable there would be the microphone used. Due to its low diaphragm mass, with just a decent condenser microphone you would definitely pic up even electrical hum. Don't take this as an attack, but you don't seem to know how sound pressure level works. Nor probably Jez does. I get that he was probably just trying to convey how silent Series X is, and that's great, but let's just not be inaccurate here.

geordiemp

Why ask for geordiepimp to help on technical stuff? He cannot even reply to my simple questions. He is a Playstation Fanboy version of Timdog. Well, no. Timdog has actually got some things right, which is weird and I didn't expect to say that. 😂

I note that some people just cant discuss the point and need to do personal attacks, its a shame that some cannot keep discourse civil and have to degrade themselvs to such personal baiting.

Do you believe this sort of post makes you look intelligent ? Try and do better.

geordiemp

Machine learning/neural network hardware is not specific to a single model/network. It should be able to be used both in auto HDR and super sampling.

Unless Microsoft develop their own DLSS that uses custom ML then I cant see it being used in consoles for upscaling on a per title learning basis.

Supersampling from AMD is cross platform, open, and will use mainly temporal. Sony have their own method likely, see spiderman 4k60, nobody can tell what its doing. Hence DEDICATED ML is not needed by sony for upscaling.

People also need to remember standard hardware can already do reduced FP and INT calculations, question is do they need dedicated additional cores for their purposes. Cerny chose to spend silicon elsewhere.

Last edited:

Redlight

Not trying to meddle in the ongoing discussion, but that is simply not true. The variable there would be the microphone used. Due to its low diaphragm mass, with just a decent condenser microphone you would definitely pic up even electrical hum. Don't take this as an attack, but you don't seem to know how sound pressure level works. Nor probably Jez does. I get that he was probably just trying to convey how silent Series X is, and that's great, but let's just not be inaccurate here.
I'm happy to concede line hum or other noise inherent to the recording/equipment itself but that's not what we're talking about. What Jez is saying, and what I'm supporting, is that it's perfectly reasonable to have a zero decibel showing on a recording meter in a very quiet room even when the Series X is running.

Nowcry

Unless Microsoft develop their own DLSS that uses custom ML then I cant see it being used in consoles for upscaling on a per title learning basis.

Supersampling from AMD is cross platform, open, and will use mainly temporal. Sony have their own method likely, see spiderman 4k60, nobody can tell what its doing. Hence DEDICATED ML is not needed by sony for upscaling.

People also need to remember standard hardware can already do reduced FP and INT calculations, question is do they need dedicated additional cores for their purposes. Cerny chose to spend silicon elsewhere.
the temporary scaler seems to work very well. Better to use the silicon elsewhere or to be able to sell the console for $ 399.
Reaching good sales is also important for the gamer to establish itself as the most profitable platform and therefore obtain better optimizations.

It seems correct to me to use the silicon elsewhere and not have to further expand the price.

There is a lot of power at stake so it is the devs, budgets and development times that will really limit a video game the most.

AeneaGames

Should this not be handled by Smart Delivery that they've been marketing?

Automatically installs the best version for your device. Then 1 box with simply Xbox on it should suffice.

renx

Digital Foundry's "there are surprises" thing won't be about hardware, load times, or platform comparison surprises.
I'm pretty sure it's about unseen game trailers that were included in those consoles, probably even some GoW Ragnarok footage, or some other bomb.
Letting the reviewers themselves reveal those games will be a great touch.

Last edited:
I'm happy to concede line hum or other noise inherent to the recording/equipment itself but that's not what we're talking about. What Jez is saying, and what I'm supporting, is that it's perfectly reasonable to have a zero decibel showing on a recording meter in a very quiet room even when the Series X is running.
And that is what I'm telling you is not possible, not if measured properly. Sound, regardless of its intensity, produces an atmospheric pressure variation, SPL measures that, doing it so on dB. What it is considered to be the lowest pressure change affecting sound the human ear is able to discern is around 20µPa (which is a pretty low value). Now, that's only an ideal case, and it's like that mainly for sound contained on a frequency range between 2 and 4 khz. For lower or higher frequency ranges, that pressure would have to be higher for the human ear to pick that up, so, even in the case that you wouldn't hear a sound properly, even then, it wouldn't mean that the resultant value in SPL is 0dB. So that you might have a more approximate idea, the sound of a person with a quiet breathing is around 10dB. That's why I'm telling you that a fan moving constantly is certainly going to be picked up, again, if measured properly and with the correct equipment, of course.

roops67

I think you might be a little more than two days behind.

There is no need to rely upon your photo comparison 'skills' (you might want to brush up on those btw).
Look at the below and tell me again that these are two different guys.

I just hope that you don't work in law enforcement.

DOd2S74.jpg
Yes you're correct seems as though it is me who needs my eyes examined 🤓 ! Hey do us a favour since I do not have access to LinkedIn, can you post a screen grab of his recent experience? Since we've come this far let's see what he's working on now, cos he says he has access to a dev-kit

Jemm

Should this not be handled by Smart Delivery that they've been marketing?

Automatically installs the best version for your device. Then 1 box with simply Xbox on it should suffice.
Yes and that's how it works with those cross gen games that support the feature.

Activision didn't want to support it for CoD and that's why there is this mess with it in the first place.

onesvenus

DLSS 2 does not use per title learning so I wouldn't expect Microsoft to go that way either.
We'll see how it's being used and how the results compare both in performance and quality to Sony's implementation

geordiemp

DLSS 2 does not use per title learning so I wouldn't expect Microsoft to go that way either.
We'll see how it's being used and how the results compare both in performance and quality to Sony's implementation

Well you have

DLSS 2.0 which I agree seems more Temporal and less individual title learning
AMD Super sampling (likely mostly temporal), maybe some ML
Whetever sony are using lately
IF MS is developing a more ML focussed version to be more like Nvidia

It seems they are all converging lol but who knows - seems to me a move away from dedicated title to more universal temporal techniques.

I dont think MS will develop a ML upscale unique to XSX, if they do it will be cross all DX12 devices. It is more their thing and common DX12U api. But who knows ?

Last edited:

onesvenus

Great to see you again Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem

Unwanted advise: Instead of just loling at posts it would be more constructive, and you wouldn't look as a fanboy as you do, if you could demonstrate somehow that Demon's Souls was not 1440p as DF and Lance McDonal, who both have contacts in BluePoint games, claim instead of 4K that you were claiming.
While you are at it you could also proof how DS uses RT as you were claiming although Gavin Moore, creative director of DS says it doesn't

SLW6veN.jpg

onesvenus

I dont think MS will develop a ML upscale unique to XSX, if they do it will be cross all DX12 devices. It is more their thing and common DX12U api. But who knows ?
There's already support fort DirectML in DirectX 12U. I would expect that to be used.

And I don't think MS would have made such a big fuzz of having DirectML support in XSX if they were only going to use that with the auto HDR feature.

We'll see! They have a big uphill battle to get comparable results to Sony technique

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom