• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
King thrash gonna have field day with the fortnite series s and gears 5 series s info news “This mother f*****g console that Phil has been lying to you dumb mother f*****s is a 1080p box, it is what it is”

On the bright side the Series X version is the definitive version for anyone who's planning to pick up an xbox this holiday. Like why even go with Series S as an option when Xbox One X seems to be a better option than series s at this point

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm not following the threads, so I have no idea if this was already discussed here.
More than a year ago Microsoft discussed their solution for Image Reconstruction Upscaling using DirectML.
[youtube]
www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2251&v=QjQm_wNrvVw[/youtube]

Starts at minute 24.
It's interesting that while doing their research Microsoft working with Nvidia, not with AMD.
Nvidia gave them their "secret sauce", but it's not relevant anymore because by the time it was the original version of DLSS, that gargabe. Since than Nvidia learned with AMD's RIS and changed everything to release DLSS 2.0.
Anyway, you can see that it's just a question of software. Just like you don't need dedicated hardware to do raytracing the additional hardware for ML just speeds the work. Work that can be done with low precision math. There Microsoft explains that their solution uses FP16, and I guess it can be done with INT8 and INT4. Guess what, RDNA1 supports double rate FP16 and quad INT8 and octa INT4. Microsoft talked about customization to improve this and we suppose this means this work can be done across all the CUs, and not limited like it is on RDNA1.

So, Microsoft is working on this for a long time, and because they had to work together with AMD it's safe to assume that AMD's solution will be very similar and use the same hardware optimizations as the SeX.
We can also expect this coming to RDNA1, and because it'll be open source Sony will also probably take advantage of this work if they didn't do their own work to offer the same on the PS5.
All consoles must receive this feature via firmware update next year.
As expected this isn't and Nvidia advantage anymore, it's a new industry standard.
I think Sony actually got AMD to implement low precision math (rapid packed math) in the PS4 Pro, so they can be thanked for it coming to RDNA 1 👍

Amazing how Sony's ideas hit their SoC before they hit the AMD products 😉

Last edited:
I think Sony actually got AMD to implement low precision math (rapid packed math) in the PS4 Pro, so they can be thanked for it coming to RDNA 1 👍

Amazing how Sony's ideas hit their SoC before they hit the AMD products 😉

No.
It's an AMD's thing, it's not like AMD's GPUs only support low precision because of Sony.

"Amazing how Sony's ideas hit their SoC before they hit the AMD products"
This is just a consequence of the nature of AMD's Custom Solutions.

Sethbacca

44NuNT6.png

Going as low as 720P on a next gen console? What the hell??

I can’t believe we are talking about a 720p baseline on a 2020 “next generation” console. Holy hell.

Rea

You need to keep reading that article as he never says this doesn't happen on PS5 dude.

He's not saying the PS5 doesn't race to idle.. he's saying "when I made my statements about how often the GPU / CPU are at or near max, I was not talking about situations where it was meaningless to have them maxed."

There's literally also no reason NOT to give the CPU or GPU full power during these scenarios.. like at all.. even if you were running on a battery, because you save more power with race to idle than with not racing to idle (hence why it's a power saving technique). He's calling it meaningless from a performance standpoint, he's not declaring the PS5 as not having that power saving technique.
OHHH!! YESS!! Ok You win.., cool your anxiety before gets worse lol. I know u have an issue. People who's reading posts will know whose right or wrong.
By the way, your original statement still wrong, ps5 still can boost to max clocks when under heavy load. It's all depends on games and developers and how games engine is coded.
Have a good day. Bye.

Call it what you want. Ps5 is downclocking itself to not be a jet engine. Downclocking on any piece of tech when it's needed is never a good thing.
giphy.gif

Smart shift adjusting clocks when not needed and sending more power to cpu and gpu is all good and great but my question still stands - What happens when full clocks on cpu and gpu are needed? Surly demanding games will need full clocks on on both CPU and GPU. Surly you must see that games will need this, yet the ps5 and smart shift will not allow this for sustained lengths of time. Surly this is a detriment to the system.
If you are only asking for clocks when we are taking of power consume then man you really don't understand how your CPU and GPU works.

Gears 5 on XSX:

• SP: dynamic res, 1080p to 2160p, with an average of 1720p
  • MP: 1080p at 120FPS
  • Small dips in FPS but mostly due to bugs which will be fixed with an update
  • Series S will run at dynamic res 720p to 1440p
  • SSGI, several upgrades to shadows, lighting, textures and shaders
  • VRS Tier 2 gives 5 to 12% improvement in performance (as per Devs)
  • Greatly reduced input latency
  • Load times reduced from 42s on One X to 8s on XSX
That XSS is becoming a thing and yes I am not talking a good thing just to early this gen.

Don't get me wrong Gears 5 looks good but those promises of 4k 60 more than ultra, was unnecessary
the PR of Xbox is making more damage than good sometimes, doing promises which will not be fulfilled
when you game looks already good without those promises.
Since Xbox Series S > PS5, this is PS5 540p confirmed.

87535cf3b37436532ae8945bd9cb7fd6.gif
giphy.gif

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
OHHH!! YESS!! Ok You win.., cool your anxiety before gets worse lol. I know u have an issue. People who's reading posts will know whose right or wrong.
By the way, your original statement still wrong, ps5 still can boost to max clocks when under heavy load. It's all depends on games and developers and how games engine is coded.
Have a good day. Bye.
You literally called "race to idle" a waste of power and resources.. maybe google the term, it's literally a power saving technique. Cerny wasn't calling it a waste, he was saying it would be misleading to include times when their isn't much to do in his statements about how often the processors were maxed out. The processors would still be maxed out during those times.. because... it uses less energy to do it that way. Google "race to idle" maybe and read the basic descriptions of it.

And no I did not make any wrong statements at all... you are just putting words in my mouth now.

What an embarrassing series of posts for you.

Krisprolls

Banned
6 seconds for all the 3 chapters combined! when one chapter (best one) is 16 on its own last gen

i love SSD

but looks like unskippable logos is still there, but i wonder if the game will have "Activities" for each chapter in the dashboard so you can just go to it without the logos

It's a lot faster than even standard SSD load times, at least on my PC with SSD, loading takes a lot more time than that.

MistBreeze

There will be alternative, checkerboard rendering is one used on PS4 Pro and Sony patented not long ago some solution much closer to DLSS

MS will have their own separate one via DirectML in my opinion.
good thing console manufacturers having alternative solutions ,,, hope these are as good as DLSS

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
No.
It's an AMD's thing, it's not like AMD's GPUs only support low precision because of Sony.

"Amazing how Sony's ideas hit their SoC before they hit the AMD products"
This is just a consequence of the nature of AMD's Custom Solutions.
That's not really true. Cerny was saying in a later interview that he only took what was already on AMDs roadmap.
Yeah fair play. AMD and Sony collaborated to bring the feature to the PS4 Pro SoC before it was released in an AMD product. I obviously extrapolated that it was Sony that influenced the feature being on the roadmap at all.

Either way it shows that Sony can have features on their SoCs that are not yet generally available in other AMD products at the point they release.

Md Ray

I don't get how varying clocks in a predictable manner could be better than the full 10.23 TF at all times.
PS5 is full 10.3 TF at all times and will vary in games that are pushing for e.g. 256-bit instructions on the CPU, and graphically demanding games, and this variation is not too much. It will be minor. How minor? It will only take a couple of percent reduction in frequency to reduce power by 10%.

Mind you the system isn't throttling due to thermals. And not every game will make the frequency vary.

LucidFlux

Hopefully an activity puts you on the mission screen for 6 or 7 seconds without going through all that shit about logos.

If Activity cards can't bypass the initial load, just suspending the game and or using the still mysterious Switcher App/function should alleviate the need to suffer through that initial loading sequence more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom