• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordiemp

This sounds like either the 3rd party games are coming in hot, or that the performance of them are different enough between the PS5 and XSX that the publishers would rather avoid comparisons for now to ensure better sales at launch.

How did you conclude your thoughst from that statement - Jason is saying he has not heard of any yet - so far.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Then I misquoted you good sir, and I apologize for saying the things I did and hope you can look past this embarrassing moment of mine.
No problem dude everybody make mistakes ...."It just doesn't usually take them 18 years to leave the house ."-My parents.
But yeah more seriously I have no idea how widespread the use of the haptic triggers and rumble but it seems like a really good tech (even though I think it will be really subtle and probably won't feel huge at first but severly lacking when playing with another controller I think it will feel too natural, so easy to miss in both sense of the word missing).

ZywyPL

Banned
Any dev releasing a game without support will get negative blowback.

Will it? By who? That 0.001% of userbase that is the angry fanboys on the internet who call everyone "lazy devs" whenever something doesn't go the way they wanted? The rest of average Joes, which is the whole majority of PS5 audience, simply won't bother, nor they care to begin with, it's not something they will die for whether it's there or not, they will buy PS5 regardless and keep buying games on it whether the features are implemented or not. Fifa, CoD etc. will continue to sell in millions of copies each year even if they'll have just a standard stereo sound and no controller rumble at all, and people will enjoy the games perfectly fine, the same way all PC gamers out there do since forever without any of the gimmicks and buzzwords the consoles are trying to sell, that's just the way the cookie crumbles, because at the end of the day it all comes down to the games, what's happening on the screen, that's where peoples whole focus is, and everything else is just an irrelevant bonus, all of the features Sony is marketing are a nice additions, but nevertheless, unnecessary ones. Let me put it this way - if current generation could be so damn successful without any of those, so can the next upcoming generation, and no one would even notice.

You’re the naive one I’m afraid. You’re confusing a company like MS with individual and independent game studios.

There are an enormous number of examples where people chose to work at jobs that didn’t make them the money they deserved and yet they did it anyway.

And there are plenty of examples of companies that got rich off the back of that motivation.

Haptics are cheap and simple to implement and one of the few next gen elements of the coming consoles.

Dualsense will be supported and MS will produce their own copy in time.

We will see, only time will tell, but I didn't saw those "independent game studios" supporting touchpad on DS4, or sixaxis on DS3, some even actually patched their games to allow to turn it off, and I do mean 1st party devs, so again, the history is on my side, while you're living a dream hoping that this time around it will all be different and the dream will be finally realized, while in the meantime, we're starting to hear/read how tough is it for the devs to make 8 different versions of their games, plus the whole Covid and working from home situation making everything even worse on top of it, so I honestly don't think they will want to put even more additional effort to just one of them, unless Sony puts some money for it.

Would you describe the jump from mono to stereo as a gimmick? How about stereo to surround? 3D audio is just a natural evolution in audio fidelity tech, and not supporting it would be like the industry not supporting higher fidelity video tech like 4K or HDR.

Similarly, haptic feedback is simply a higher fidelity version of the rumble tech we all know, and if rumble had been a gimmick it wouldn’t have been supported by practically every console game for over 20 years.

The majority of people around the globe stopped at stereo sound, sorry to break it up to you. As per the discussion in the other audio-related thread, sadly everything above 5.1 setup is basically non-existent, not supported, whether in games, movies or whatever, so while the technological progression is indeed there, the industry has no choice but to adjust to the market, to the consumers, where the money is, and the reality is most people on the planed don't use anything more than the TV's build-in speakers, which they are totally fine with. Not to mention, Sony's 3D audio will at least initially be implemented only for the headphones, and people who don't want to wear them simply won't buy them just because Sony wants them to. And just as in my above answer, devs currently have to make their games work on 8 different platforms, so I don't think we will see Sony's proprietary solutions being implemented in many games.

GreyHand23

How did you conclude your thoughst from that statement - Jason is saying he has not heard of any yet - so far.

It's just speculation of course, but I imagine day 1 patches will be more important than ever for most of these games. Covid plus new hardware pretty much guarantees that. I'm personally not expecting much if any difference between the consoles when it comes to third party games at this stage, but if every comparison is saying that the PS5 experience is much greater because of the controller and tempest 3d audio that could cause some Xbox players not to buy the games right away. I would think publishers might want to avoid that.

Rea

And those hoping for interesting comparison videos are going to be disappointed. DF 'and what about the next gen consoles? Well they are both dynamic 4k with the same graphical settings, at a locked or near to locked 60/30 (depending on game/mode)' But expanded out to 20 min videos!
Df gonna zoom in 800% for pixel peeping, if series x gonna hold better fps by 1 frame and higher resolution by 100p, they gonna say series x is the best place to play. When ps5 has some advantage, then say "you are going to enjoy with either console". 😂

Rea

One thing I’m puzzling over is tempest in PS5 and what it means for multiplayer crossplay. Implementation in a game like Call Of Duty. Allowing you to pinpoint enemy movement with precision vs basic stereo, will it be hobbled on purpose to create competitive parity?
I don't know Sony's gonna allow COD for cross platform multiplayer, but if its true, then ps5 player gonna have huge advantage, either that or Tempest audio will be disabled. I'm not sure.

ToadMan

I don't know Sony's gonna allow COD for cross platform multiplayer, but if its true, then ps5 player gonna have huge advantage, either that or Tempest audio will be disabled. I'm not sure.

I thought the Xbox had some equivalent sound processing capability? Wasn’t that what came out of hot chips?

I’ll admit I don’t tend to play with headphones so I haven’t paid too much attention...

Last edited:

reksveks

I thought the Xbox had some equivalent sound processing capability? Wasn’t that what cameout of hot chips?

I’ll admit I don’t tend to play with headphones so I haven’t paid too much attention...
It does have its own audio chip that can do 'audio raytracing', forgot the exact term

thatJohann

Holy shit that Ferrari parked on a roof got me.

Yeah, same. Gotta say that, while I still look forward to getting my Series X, all these Xbox Series X reviews and impressions today really turned my excitement down. Like I feel MEH. On the other hand, I am insanely excited for the PS5 this gen. Not to diss on Xbox as I love both PS5 and Xbox and I'm getting both consoles.

inflation

I thought the Xbox had some equivalent sound processing capability? Wasn’t that what came out of hot chips?

Technically you can do everything the Tempest Engine can do via compute shader — it’s a CU after all. However, the API provided determines how easy to implement and how willingly the devs include it.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

It's funny because I'm excited for PS5 but I probably won't have any games for it "not available on other platforms" for quite some time since at least for now I don't have interest in Godfall.

People get excited for different shit I guess; PC gamers been spending loads of cash on new graphics cards to play the same games with better performance.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Yeah, same. Gotta say that, while I still look forward to getting my Series X, all these Xbox Series X reviews and impressions today really turned my excitement down. Like I feel MEH. On the other hand, I am insanely excited for the PS5 this gen. Not to diss on Xbox as I love both PS5 and Xbox and I'm getting both consoles.
Totally agree. New consoles launching is always exciting with new controllers, new UI, new features and exclusive games. While Series X is an exciting hardware, Microsoft did none of those. They went , here is the new powerful Xbox but everything else is the same and go play updated old games.

Dabaus

Banned
Random thought: I have my doubts starfield will not be on ps4/ps5 (assuming its crossgen). The game has been in development for like what, 5-6 years on all platforms and is rumored to launch in 2021? The Bethesda MS deal doesnt go through until next year sometime. I find it hard to believe they just all of a sudden stopped working on one version of the game. Id further add that sony allegedly tried to get it to be a timed exclusive so that must mean its pretty far along in development on their hardware

Nowcry

Waiting on Digital Foundry's analysis on multiplatform games. Will be very very interesting and super damn shocking if 10.28tflops provides better performance in resolution and frame rates than the 12tflops worlds most powerful console.
Hopefully it happens, it would be good for ordinary people to learn that TFlops are not the measure of anything and that they must see the performance of the whole. Summarizing:

Wait for the games to do the talking before you get carried away with the marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom