• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Next stop Carnegie Hall.
424463.jpg

Darius87

Again. You are speaking of rDNA 1 vanilla, not rDNA 2 custom.

No one has any idea what is in rDNA 2, let alone the bespoke customisations added by ms and sony.

So yeah he got it wrong on l1 cache (if that remains the same for rDNA 2) but the narrative they must use gcn as a result of this faux pa is also wrong as none of the other informations tallies with gcn.nd y
i can assure you 100% rdna 2.0 will have dual compute units which means it also will have L0 cache per dual CU's unless Sony/Ms want it downgraded arch to their new consoles, gcn has nothing to do it here
you also admited to look at RDNA white papers(even page 17 was right)and still got it wrong :messenger_tears_of_joy: it's like dumb and dumber movie all over again :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DJ12

i can assure you 100% rdna 2.0 will have dual compute units which means it also will have L0 cache per dual CU's unless Sony/Ms want it downgraded arch to their new consoles, gcn has nothing to do it here
you also admited to look at RDNA white papers(even page 17 was right)and still got it wrong :messenger_tears_of_joy: it's like dumb and dumber movie all over again :messenger_tears_of_joy:
No one's talking about l0 cache. When calling names probably best to make sure your post is correct. Loses its affect.

Darius87

not saying or believing Tommy but when listing the Gpu does he need to offer L0? Isn't navis L0 fixed at 16kb 2 way?
he can mention whatever he want's but if he says L1 is per cu which actually L0 are per dual cu's so that's his mistake.
L0 cache is 32KB and 4-way set-associative

THE:MILKMAN

I am curious about this line from the Wired article regarding BC:

Because it’s based in part on the PS4’s architecture, it will also be backward-compatible with games for that console.

In what way could PS4's [GCN] architecture be incorporated into the Navi architecture for BC? Butterfly wing design or something else?

DJ12

doesn't matter mentions or not he said: L1 Cache: 32 KB (Per CU) which is wrong!!! stop defending frauds.
Lol. You don't know that at all. Maybe the IPC gains for Rdna2 mean l1 cache is per cu.

Maybe this helps with ray tracing.

I'm not saying Tommy is right or wrong what I am saying is you and misterxmedias cronnies don't know either.

I hope RDNA 2 does have l1 cache per cu, not because it will prove Tommy right, but to see the mental gymnastics from you lot.

Last edited:

Disco_

I don't see the cost worth it right now. The estimates I seen are 80usd per 4gig plus 20-25 for imposer. If you only do 8 gigs your at 180 usd just for half the ram at launch and forcing back to split pool again. There is a good reason AMD ran from it except some of their enterprise cards they can charge through the nose for on the compute side.

Three years ago, HBM cost about $120/GB. Today, the unit prices for HBM2 (16GB with 4 stack DRAM dies) is roughly $120, according to TechInsights. That doesn’t even include the cost of the package.
Not info yet whether a recent huge order was put in to drop these or whether a sony sized order would lower them dramatically.

FranXico

I am curious about this line from the Wired article regarding BC:

In what way could PS4's [GCN] architecture be incorporated into the Navi architecture for BC? Butterfly wing design or something else?
The new hardware architecture can be designed to also be backwards compatible, no?

THE:MILKMAN

The new hardware architecture can be designed to also be backwards compatible, no?

How do PCs do it? (rhetorical question)

That is sort of why I'm asking. If BC is basically "automatic" like PC then why does it even say it is based in part on PS4 architecture? RDNA is quite different to GCN and Mark Cerny detailed how difficult BC was even with Pro.

Not that this matters much. I'm just trying to make the time pass quicker to the reveal......:messenger_beaming:

SmokSmog

Not info yet whether a recent huge order was put in to drop these or whether a sony sized order would lower them dramatically.
Sony can use 2 stacks HBM2E, 12GB per stack total 24GB 820GB/s

Thats mean smaller memory controller combined with 7nm EUV ( 20% area reduction compared to 7nm) you can fit 40cus RDNA under 200mm2

Samsung Develops 12-Layer 3D TSV DRAM: Up to 24 GB HBM2 per stack

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That is sort of why I'm asking. If BC is basically "automatic" like PC then why does it even say it is based in part on PS4 architecture? RDNA is quite different to GCN and Mark Cerny detailed how difficult BC was even with Pro.

Not that this matters much. I'm just trying to make the time pass quicker to the reveal......:messenger_beaming:

They probably mean x86-64 and even though the architecture is new with RDNA (instruction set), it is still based on GCN as well. Just like Zen is a new architecture (instruction set) for them based off of x86-64 foundation.

The guy in twitter isn't saying there is no L1 cache in RDNA. He is saying that the L1 cache in RDNA is per shader array, not per CU.

and you are now taking the word of ‘mistercteam’ !!!

the lapdog of another mister I’m afraid and famed on the internet for his cobbling tech papers together and baffling people with ‘science’ !!!!

sorry, but even my cat doesn’t believe in dark silcone hiding inactivated cu units, Gpu’s hidden under power bricks and other countless madness statements. that have almost virtually never been close to correct. Or made a lot of sense

not saying that cache isn’t per shader array, but guess where the Cus live ?

Darius87

and you are now taking the word of ‘mistercteam’ !!!

the lapdog of another mister I’m afraid and famed on the internet for his cobbling tech papers together and baffling people with ‘science’ !!!!

sorry, but even my cat doesn’t believe in dark silcone hiding inactivated cu units, Gpu’s hidden under power bricks and other countless madness statements. that have almost virtually never been close to correct. Or made a lot of sense

not saying that cache isn’t per shader array, but guess where the Cus live ?
there's no lapdog or anything it's all clear writen in RDNA whitepaper.

there's no lapdog or anything it's all clear writen in RDNA whitepaper.

wasn’t talking about you my friend ❤️

There maybe little nuggets of sense in there

but if your that keen on that persons posts, do a little research, especially on info updates that were made since just before the Xbox 1 was released and since (before backing that horse 🐴)

Tommy could lie (I don't think so) but for the moment he has the benefit of the doubt. We are not talking about a hidden dGPU with alien technology.

Tommy's data can be perfectly real. There is one sure thing, Sony right now wants to sell all the PS4 it can, it is not the time to talk about PS5. So it seems that until February we will not go out of doubt.

Darius87

wasn’t talking about you my friend ❤

There maybe little nuggets of sense in there

but if your that keen on that persons posts, do a little research, especially on info updates that were made since just before the Xbox 1 was released and since (before backing that horse 🐴)
so you're telling me that rdna whitepaper is wrong where it says in page 9:
The L0 instruction cache is shared between all four SIMDs within a dual compute unit,
and page 17:
The graphics L1 cache is shared across a group of dual compute units and can satisfy many data requests
because that what blue guy on twitter said, so if he's wrong meaning amd is also wrong because they wrote rdna white paper.

Darius87

Tommy could lie (I don't think so) but for the moment he has the benefit of the doubt. We are not talking about a hidden dGPU with alien technology.

Tommy's data can be perfectly real. There is one sure thing, Sony right now wants to sell all the PS4 it can, it is not the time to talk about PS5. So it seems that until February we will not go out of doubt.
blue guy from twiter and i proved that he's wrong and a fraud which i hope gone for good from this thread.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The kind of Memory and tech behind Solid State Drive definitely are the most mysterious things about PS5 that Sony puts a super special emphasis on them unlike the GPU and CPU which basically are the same as SeX. Be ready for some huge meltdowns.

Meltdowns in reaction to sony's ssd tech?

Lort

Banned
doesn't matter mentions or not he said: L1 Cache: 32 KB (Per CU) which is wrong!!! stop defending frauds.

It be here...

L0 cache 2 per dual cu each 16kb 32 way
L1 cache for each 5 dual cus 128kb 16 way
L2 4mB 16 way

This has 40 cus ( 4x10) ... most likely upgrade is to add one dual cu to each group = (4x12) 48 cus .. or add a whole extra group = (5x10) 50 cus ... or do both = (5x12) = 60

56 active seems likely

If you add a whole new group you will add more latency and wont be able to clock as high.

so you're telling me that rdna whitepaper is wrong where it says in page 9:
and page 17:

because that what blue guy on twitter said, so if he's wrong meaning amd is also wrong because they wrote rdna white paper.

I’m not saying the white paper, amd or you are wrong. Especially if it means that much to you 😘. Think a little chilling and Xmas cheer would do you good there 👍😊

I’m more warning ⚠️ about that messenger and that even a stopped clock can be right, twice a day

and not to get so hung up on a tiny detail, or showing how clever you can sound to a bunch of strangers on the internet 🧠

there is far too much of that sparky, Feisty behaviour kickin around in all this next gen excitement and speculation. (And there is still almost a year to go, till hands on time 🤗)

The order isn't the only factor here; it's a question of HBM3 manufacturers have the capacity to produce in the quantities Sony would need. If fabs and production lines are allocating tons of space to, say, DDR5 and GDDR6 (keep in mind Apple, IIRC, is looking to use GDDR6 in newer phones), that leaves less capacity for HBM3 production. Which can also affect pricing of components.

Meltdowns in reaction to sony's ssd tech?

Maybe for some. The only real options here are ReRAM (which has a lot of ground to gain, but they could maybe pull it off) or 3D Xpoint persistent RAM. Either of them would be between 64GB-128GB in size, realistically. Probably soldered to the board, to a DRAM memory controller.

That would be the best surprise in terms of storage-based solutions for either system so I'm hoping at least one of them (if not both) implements that route because I do feel it'd cause some meltdowns indeed (especially if ONLY one implements it). That'd be a hefty, very high-speed cache sitting between main RAM and whatever more standard SSD the systems will come with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom