• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

Like I say I take "insiders" info at face value (mainly because I'm no expert) and am willing to hear Tommy's retort to Proelite's claim.

Also most "insiders" don't actually know what they are looking at & can only tell you the PR info that they see.

the one's that understand most likely are not on the internet telling people about the specs.

but we get lucky sometimes when someone just post the specs directly

THE:MILKMAN

Also most "insiders" don't actually know what they are looking at & can only tell you the PR info that they see.

the one's that understand most likely are not on the internet telling people about the specs.

but we get lucky sometimes when someone just post the specs directly

One of the biggest frustrations over the years has been exactly this! It is never someone with tech knowledge that gets leaked info.

Reactions: TLZ

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
these days you will see many try to give something from nothing just like gaming channels in YouTube they all full of lies , they know nothing other than the same talks over the years " PS5 will have many games " " Xbox will blow ur mind " and so on .... I'm just waiting for E3 2020 to come and clear the way

blue guys tweet, rdna whitepaper tells same thing(me to) so either it's right or it's wrong everyone with a brain knows it's right because tommy wasn't clever enough to check rdna cache levels, and got spec from his fake ass insiders and he was doing that same thing 100 pages before, let's hope it's ended.

well done you 👏👏👏. hope it makes you feel good about yourself there. I get the feeling you deserve it ❤️

maybe, just a suggestion That getting so worked up about a supposed/fake insider and that 17 pages into a white paper there is information that goes against what they have said. About as yet unreleased GPU architecture, isn’t the way forward

perhaps kicking back, chillin and having a few laughs might be a better way forward (than calling strangers on the internet ‘liars’). Whilst we all wait to enjoy the potential awesome new consoles 👍😊 and letting some just speculate a bit

(I’m not big on the ‘leak of the day’, but for others it’s just all part of the game. Even if sometimes they are genuine, fake or somewhere in Between)

I think you might be on to something 🤔

But then you miss all the fun from when he gets called out (and from the tears and crows when specs finally come out)

Well that's my point? I wasn't even arguing which is more powerful, i was talking about the nonsensical of the gonzalo leak believers putting both machines in the 8/9tf power envelope, or putting only the PS5 to say that it's 'going to be trounced' by the X series,... remember 'Arcturus'!?

Nah I'm pretty sure it's cheap red wine
That shit gets you inspired!

And where do those random internet sites you have quoted go to get their 'information' this far from launch, and with the people in the 'know' full of NDAs? Never mind i tell you, it's on the internet forums where 'random' guys, who may actually have sources, post. If you're talking about windows central, that by the way isn't a random internet site, I'm pretty sure those were 'vetted' ms leaks.

Fake edit: Just to get things clear, and get something out of my head _ this buzz between my ears that's starting to get really annoying _ when you say 'those random on a internet forum' you are referring to forums in general.... Or just this one?
I am referring to someone coming onto any forum and saying they have inside knowedge of specs and people jumping onto what they say because it backs up their confirmation bias. Its hardly something to hang your hat on.
I think we will only know when the correct CU count and clocks are released.
Even with MS saying the XSX is double the XBOX One X power, is that double the 6 tflops or is this allowing for RDNA efficiencies?
To much smoke and mirrors and conflicting rumours to say anything is fact at this point.
All we have is our opinions and guesses.

Last edited:

Darius87

well done you 👏👏👏. hope it makes you feel good about yourself there. I get the feeling you deserve it ❤
is it wrong to call out person who lies or pretends to have something which he doesn't? i doesn't make me feel better or worse.
maybe, just a suggestion That getting so worked up about a supposed/fake insider and that 17 pages into a white paper there is information that goes against what they have said. About as yet unreleased GPU architecture, isn’t the way forward
i know RDNA 1.0 arch and RDNA 2.0 Ray-tracing whitepapers very well, so it's very easy for me to spot falsely claims it's not worked up at all.
arch is released it's just verion 1.0 if you think it's gonna be totaly different then it's not! as name suggest as you can see.

perhaps kicking back, chillin and having a few laughs might be a better way forward (than calling strangers on the internet ‘liars’). Whilst we all wait to enjoy the potential awesome new consoles 👍😊 and letting some just speculate a bit
the problem with tommy he's not speculating but says he has insiders and can't reveal, so there's big differences.

"When it comes to the PS5, faster hardware is always appreciated and will make life easier in the short term," Donnelly said, "But it's the new SSD that really stands out; essentially streaming will become something that we don't really have to worry so much about and it will free up some extra CPU bandwidth in the process."
Doesn't this sound like an SSD used as cache where game data sit uncompressed (or with very little compression)?

Or does it sound more like a separate secondary decompression chip?

The von Neumann bottleneck is the idea that computer system throughput is limited due to the relative ability of processors compared to top rates of data transfer.

SSD bandwidth may not be the bottleneck. Decompression of compressed data is very demanding and is currently the bottleneck to loading.

Last edited:
The von Neumann bottleneck is the idea that computer system throughput is limited due to the relative ability of processors compared to top rates of data transfer.

SSD bandwidth may not be the bottleneck. Decompression of compressed data is very demanding and is currently the bottleneck to streaming large amount of data.

At loadtime, it will not be a problem as the 8 core CPUs are very powerful. But at runtime, it will be problematic. You don't want that decompression to eat into your CPU cores and bandwidth.

Last edited:

saintjules

With HDMI 2.1 do we need to replace TV’s or are 2019 model TV’s more then enough for next generation?
Currently unknown imo until we see MS or Sony show off games under 2.1. I'm on an LG C8 and will wait to see what kind of difference this will make. I'd wait if you can, otherwise if you're going OLED, maybe next year's model if you're not looking at the C9?

Gamernyc78

Banned
Most people that actually have info:

A. Wont be through the process of getting verified because burning real sources not worth the risk to have some "fame" on forums.

B. Those who do usually aren't believed on said forums anyhow so why bother.

So many ps4 leaks were on point yet everyone was saying "oh these leaks are bs" but low and behold thy were mainly true. I feel it's the same situation now.

Tsaki

SSD bandwidth may not be the bottleneck. Decompression of compressed data is very demanding and is currently the bottleneck to streaming large amount of data.

At loadtime, it will not be a problem as the 8 core CPUs are very powerful. But at runtime, it will be problematic. You don't want that decompression to eat into your CPU cores and bandwidth.
The Sony SSD patent has a dedicated hardware decompressor so the main CPU will not be bothered at all with decompressing the data.

Tenka Musou

Banned
I have a question for those of you who are tech savvy:

- High speed SSD should help with data streaming, but what about with genres like fighting games? In what ways can the high speed storage features of next gen hardware can help with the graphical fidelity in fighting games?
*Excluding stuff like stage transitions and loading screens, I'm talking purely about graphical fidelity.

THE:MILKMAN

So many ps4 leaks were on point yet everyone was saying "oh these leaks are bs" but low and behold thy were mainly true. I feel it's the same situation now.

There is a huge difference. For PS4/Orbis and Xbox One/Durnago there was a huge hack by SuperDae in which Kotaku and VGLeaks then drip fed us info.

Forgive me (it is late and I'm bored) for going down memory lane for a little gaming history.

If you look at the last Kotaku Orbis specs article before the PS4 reveal it will show that they shared some of the info from the 90 PDFs they got from SuperDae but left out the latest SoC/APU dev kit specs (Sony had word or Kotaku didn't want to give it all away?) and instead talked about the old PC-based kit from March 2012 (again) Just look at the VGLeaks article put up the very next day in comparison.

I'm really not surprised we've got nothing from the big gaming/tech sites this time round.

psorcerer

Banned
I have a question for those of you who are tech savvy:

- High speed SSD should help with data streaming, but what about with genres like fighting games? In what ways can the high speed storage features of next gen hardware can help with the graphical fidelity in fighting games?
*Excluding stuff like stage transitions and loading screens, I'm talking purely about graphical fidelity.

I cannot think of anything that's applicable to small stage games that fit entirely in memory.

psorcerer

Banned

False.
There is no bottleneck in decompression.
Compressed assets was a method to fight loading times. Faster bandwidth - no need for compression (apart from hw specific in-place formats, like compressed textures).

TLZ

Banned
False.
There is no bottleneck in decompression.
Compressed assets was a method to fight loading times. Faster bandwidth - no need for compression (apart from hw specific in-place formats, like compressed textures).
Maybe keep them compressed to eliminate loads completely.

Fasster bandwidth - no need for compression (apart from hw specific in-place formats, like compressed textures).

I was going by the current bottleneck in PC loading.

If there's no need for compression, where do you store the data? Compression exist to save space. We don't have an infinite amount of SSD/HDD space.

Cache approach would favor no-compression streaming.

psorcerer

Banned
I was going by the current bottleneck in PC loading.

If there's no need for compression, where do you store the data? Compression exist to save space. We don't have an infinite amount of SSD/HDD space.

Cache approach would favor no-compression streaming.

Compression was used in current gen to save hdd bandwidth - decrease loading times. Not space.
Space was overused by needless copying of data multiple times to again save the loading times.

Compression was used in current gen to save hdd bandwidth - decrease loading times. Not space.
Space was overused by needless copying of data multiple times to again save the loading times.

So you expect the games stored on our SSD next-gen are already decompressed? How big of space do you expect our next-gen uncompressed game occupy?

Do you not see a cache approach from where uncompressed data could stream?

xPikYx

Instead of wasting our time speculating on TFlops, CU, memory and all these stuff we don't know and we cannot know about for obvious reason why don't we speculate if that hellblade2 trailer is actually achievable in real time and what next console should have technically to achieve that goal? Because that is what we know and what we should care about, if that is true or a killzone 2.0 wannabe

The Sony SSD patent has a dedicated hardware decompressor so the main CPU will not be bothered at all with decompressing the data.

Don't some consumer SSDs also have hardware decompressors via onboard MPUs on the SSD? I assume that's mainly with the more high-end ones; those ones also tend to have some DRAM as cache. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony's proprietary solution (if they're indeed using one) would utilize something similar.

...but personally, I hope it is using persistent RAM in lieu of NAND for the storage solution; like I keep saying the pricing is there and optimal, it'd just be between 64GB-128GB max and (preferably) soldered to the board. They could have regular SSDs over M.2 on NVMe PCIe 4.0, no problem.

And the Wii was weaker & outsold them both

The Wii also fell off a cliff after 2010 or so unlike any other white-hot popular mainstream console before or since. Also even with all things considered it's likely only ~5 million ahead of PS3 (and maybe ~8 million ahead of 360) LTD.

Really crazy to consider though how that gen didn't really have any losers in terms of total LTD; an anomaly I'd like to see happen more but alas, it doesn't xD.

Last edited:
...but personally, I hope it is using persistent RAM in lieu of NAND for the storage solution; like I keep saying the pricing is there and optimal, it'd just be between 64GB-128GB max and (preferably) soldered to the board. They could have regular SSDs over M.2 on NVMe PCIe 4.0, no problem.

Persistent RAM can be used as a cache to stream uncompressed data allowing data in and out without friction.

Don't some consumer SSDs also have hardware decompressors via onboard MPUs on the SSD? I assume that's mainly with the more high-end ones; those ones also tend to have some DRAM as cache. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony's proprietary solution (if they're indeed using one) would utilize something similar.

If PS5 SSD is 4gb/s, what kind of hardware decompressor are we looking at that could decompress 4gb/s of data in real-time?

ASIC custom chip

An application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC /ˈeɪsɪk/) is an integrated circuit (IC) chip customized for a particular use, rather than intended for general-purpose use

I wonder how much it can keep up with 4gb/s of data.

I was reading from B3D and I read one comment that a 1gb/s of data could fire up multiple cores of intel cpu.

Can you give a link where I could read about ASIC and how fast an ASIC chip decompressor could go. I suppose decompressing 4gb/s of data is a new territory.

SmokSmog

I wonder how much it can keep up with 4gb/s of data.

I was reading from B3D and I read one comment that a 1gb/s of data could fire up multiple cores of intel cpu.

Can you give a link where I could read about ASIC and how fast an ASIC chip decompressor could go. I suppose decompressing 4gb/s of data is a new territory.
Intel or AMD cores are multiple purpose, ASIC will always be faster.
Cant give you a link.

Last edited:
"But it's the new SSD that really stands out; essentially streaming will become something that we don't really have to worry so much about and it will free up some extra CPU bandwidth in the process."

Isnt that a huge deal? Freeing up the CPU, or some sort of pre-processing so the CPU can spend more time on hi-fidelity graphics?!! I dont understand these borderline "meh" to 'Debbie downer' statements coming out from game developers. You literally have game changing aspects of Xbox Scarlett and PS5 (besides SSD):

-Fundamental microarchitecture improvements from the shit jaguar CPU and mediocre GPU to Zen 2 and RDNA 2 with Ray Tracing
-GDDR5 to GDDR6 with higher bandwidth and more RAM.
-Advancements to HUMA
-More Compute Units (CU)
-Wifi6 with 10Gps connection speeds
-Variable Refresh Rate Freesync 2 HDMI 2.1
-Updated Graphics API
-Ultra 4k Blu-Ray Disk for more game data
-Other effeciences i cant think of right now

I mean they should be spouting "mind blowing graphics never been possible" or some sort of marketing PR Hype train BS so I can get excited. WTF?!!

If games would stay the same in terms of scope and visual quality it’d make loading times be almost unnoticeable and restarting a level could be almost instant [in PS5 games].

However, since more data can be now used there can also be cases where production
might be cheaper and faster when not optimising content, which will lead into having to load much more data, leading back into a situation where you have about the same loading times as today.

I don't see how a 4GB/s SSD with a very powerful ASIC decompressor chip could result to a situation stated above. Provided that the worst case scenario is filling up the 20GB of RAM entirely.

Unless:

a. PS5 decompression scheme, ASIC or not, is not powerful enough to do real-time decompression. It also implies that the touted very fast loading times and "no loading times" is achieved through a very well-handled memory management and streaming.

b. PS5 has a huge amount of RAM. How? Maybe DDR4, or maybe, ReRAM.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
"But it's the new SSD that really stands out; essentially streaming will become something that we don't really have to worry so much about and it will free up some extra CPU bandwidth in the process."

Isnt that a huge deal? Freeing up the CPU, or some sort of pre-processing so the CPU can spend more time on hi-fidelity graphics?!! I dont understand these borderline "meh" to 'Debbie downer' statements coming out from game developers. You literally have game changing aspects of Xbox Scarlett and PS5 (besides SSD):

-Fundamental microarchitecture improvements from the shit jaguar CPU and mediocre GPU to Zen 2 and RDNA 2 with Ray Tracing
-GDDR5 to GDDR6 with higher bandwidth and more RAM.
-Advancements to HUMA
-More Compute Units (CU)
-Wifi6 with 10Gps connection speeds
-Variable Refresh Rate Freesync 2 HDMI 2.1
-Updated Graphics API
-Ultra 4k Blu-Ray Disk for more game data
-Other effeciences i cant think of right now

I mean they should be spouting "mind blowing graphics never been possible" or some sort of marketing PR Hype train BS so I can get excited. WTF?!!
It's to early for the hype train to keep it going for such a long time. Also Sony is trying to protect this holiday seasons console sales. Feburary the hype season will begin if Sony sticks to tradition and does specs then. Then they drip information until E3 with the box game, date and price. Microsoft may should be the tech reveal event if going by tradition. Then at E3 games, price and date.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom