• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
PCI-E 4.0 M.2 SSD

E16_575px.png

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

SonGoku

Last edited:

Munki

Yeah smiling and alluding to big things to come was same thing they did for Ps4/Xbox one prior to its unveil. This is par the course and really doesn't say much.

I think one of the more interesting things that they shared was that both AMD and Microsoft started planning the next generation Ryzen family together 2 years ago. It was pretty apparent during this segment and throughout the the presentation that AMD and MS are pretty tight, so much so that Lisa even stated that they "Recognized MS as the most important partner for AMD".

joe_zazen

All of this shows that AMD worked on different tech with Sony and MS. Each console is going to have its own customizations.

Special sauce for everyone, just like Lisa promised. :D

Anyone remember how much money Sony dumped into IBM codeveloping ps3 cpu only to see MS use alot of the same tech in the 360? That was hilariously incompetent Sony. Anyway, if Sony did dump a lot of money into co-dev of navi, no way would they allow it in other consoles, but they would allow it in desktop cards. If they didn't pay, then rdna will be everywhere except Stadia.

I think it will be everywhere because Sony is super cheap now and probably didn't give amd much in the way of resources.

SonGoku

LordOfChaos LordOfChaos

“Raja is a brilliant guy, a brilliant architect, a brilliant marketer, but he lives in the future,” he said. “He’s running a massive organization, and based on my perceptions of Raja and my experience working with him, that doesn’t play to his strengths. We’ll see what happens.”
“We had some wastage on the GPU roadmap where he changed his mind,” he said. “I think that since we’ve really locked that down, we’re making a little bit more rapid progress.”

joe_zazen

tbf the PPE was trash the actual meat and balls of the R&D was spent on the SPUs

Nonetheless, they paid ibm for a cpu that was then sold to their competition. It was a monumental fuck up. Edit and kind of a scummy thing to do that left the lead architect feeling shitty, according to his memoir.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

SonGoku

Nonetheless, they paid ibm for a cpu that was then sold to their competition. It was a monumental fuck up. Edit and kind of a scummy thing to do that left the lead architect feeling shitty, according to his memoir.
We don't know the whole story though, maybe Sony funded the SPEs bit while IBM already had a working PPE core.

LordOfChaos

LordOfChaos LordOfChaos

I think Intel is largely interested in the massive opportunity in datacenter compute that GPUs have, that's a bunch of silicon budget people are spending that they don't have an answer to. When you make a high performance per watt datacenter GPU, it also happens to be good at gaming with some minor changes, which is secondarily how they'll target it.

I'd love to see a GPU market with three fierce competitors, we'll just have to wait and see what Xe is like. I wonder if it won't be a Vega situation where they didn't put the R&D into splitting out the compute and gaming architectures, or Navi which does.

Last edited:

demigod

I think one of the more interesting things that they shared was that both AMD and Microsoft started planning the next generation Ryzen family together 2 years ago. It was pretty apparent during this segment and throughout the the presentation that AMD and MS are pretty tight, so much so that Lisa even stated that they "Recognized MS as the most important partner for AMD".

You are reading too much into that. If anything it'll just be the drivers on Microsofts side.

Munki

You are reading too much into that. If anything it'll just be the drivers on Microsofts side.

MS has acquired AMD, calling it now...

Joking aside, they were implying that they are going to announce some pretty big things (E3?) without saying jack shit.

Roanne: I KNOW... OH IF ONLY I COULD... Lisa and I have some inside scoops on the depth of partnership between AMD and Microsoft... not just in PC space but also when it comes to the datacenters and cloud and when it comes to graphics and gaming... I am <really> excited about the stuff that we're doing there.... I think it's going to be next level in terms of the things that you can expect from us... [random closing remarks].

Last edited:

llien

Do you want me to remember things from the past? :messenger_loudly_crying:
Well, those parts which you claim happened would be nice, ;)

He did leave not long after, apparently quite frustrated. More than having no say on the chip, the rumor is that someone else working on the PS5 semi custom chip got engineers assigned to his or her division as the PS5 contract took priority... probably a cal made by Su herself.
I still cannot wrap my head around it.
It sounds like Vega vs Navi, but that's inside Radeon Group competition, quite below his level.
So, the only way I could imagine that is:

Raja: Vega is more important!
Lisa: Hold on, console business is our bread and butter.

But still, both Navi and Vega would be under his command.
I also recall AMD hiring more engineers, which was after Zen buck well within Raja's reign.

Anyhow, I find this guy to be way overrated.

Anyone remember how much money Sony dumped into IBM codeveloping ps3 cpu only to see MS use alot of the same tech in the 360?
Hm, what do you mean?
Most money went into CELL development.
The point was to leverage dominant market position, create some crazy hardware spec, which would make porting close to impossible, be in full control of the development, while laughing at competitors.
Oh, and the original plan was to have no GPUs at all, but 2 CELL's instead.

Ar¢tos

Does the bulk of cpu/gpu profit comes from the server/professional business for AMD and Nvidia?
The prices of chips are madly different between gaming/casual and server/professional (obviously professional products have different features, but it seems they overcharge just because there is nowhere else for companies to get products with those features, not because of the cost of the features themselves).

xool

Anyone remember how much money Sony dumped into IBM codeveloping ps3 cpu only to see MS use alot of the same tech in the 360? That was hilariously incompetent Sony. Anyway, if Sony did dump a lot of money into co-dev of navi, no way would they allow it in other consoles, but they would allow it in desktop cards. If they didn't pay, then rdna will be everywhere except Stadia.
Hm, what do you mean?
Most money went into CELL development.
The point was to leverage dominant market position, create some crazy hardware spec, which would make porting close to impossible, be in full control of the development, while laughing at competitors.
Oh, and the original plan was to have no GPUs at all, but 2 CELL's instead.

This is a hangover from the BS book some guy wrote claiming to be a big insight into the development of the cell and 360 processors at IBM - people who reviewed the book made out it created a narrative where IBM was basically taking money from Sony, and then using the work to offer MS something good.

There's a summary here , the wall street journal also ran a sensationalised version posing as journalism

the book was The Race for a New Game Machine: Creating the Chips Inside the XBox 360 and the Playstation 3

joe_zazen

This is a hangover from the BS book some guy wrote claiming to be a big insight into the development of the cell and 360 processors at IBM - people who reviewed the book made out it created a narrative where IBM was basically taking money from Sony, and then using the work to offer MS something good.

There's a summary here , the wall street journal also ran a sensationalised version posing as journalism

the book was The Race for a New Game Machine: Creating the Chips Inside the XBox 360 and the Playstation 3

Any proof Shippy was lying?

.... Sony too? 😏😙. [pls be true]

Ar¢tos

The real magic of the Cell was its ability to be hotly debated 14 years later
ARM and PowerPC hold no secrets and x86 is meh as a talking point (although the CELL was nothing more than a PowerPC/Risc hybrid). We need a brand new controversial architecture to fire up the Internet!

xool

Any proof Shippy was lying?
I called BS because the imo book was more about creating a good story than being a balanced look.

Half my problem with the book was with the sensationalist reviews - but then - the guy who wrote the book has to take some responsibility for that. If he didn't play up the drama he probably would have sold 4 copies.

Raploz

I don't know if this means anything, but has anyone seen this slide saying "Deep partnership - From console to cloud" in the keynote? They could be talking just about Xbox One, but it's a bit suspicious to show this in a keynote talking about the new architecture... Idk. 😅😅😅

0OF2lpW.png

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't know if this means anything, but has anyone seen this slide saying "Deep partnership - From console to cloud" in the keynote? They could be talking just about Xbox One, but it's a bit suspicious to show this in a keynote talking about the new architecture... Idk. 😅😅😅

0OF2lpW.png

They are talking about MS cloud and Gaming as that was a consumer part of the event... but more of that the fact that MS is getting lots of EPYC based blades up in their data centres ;).

So next-gen consoles will have a lower binned 3700X chip running at 3.2-3.3 GHz with 8 functioning cores and the entire APU die (including the Navi GPU) is gonna cost $100-110 tops?

Braldryr

Banned
Woops sorry - delete this post please - didn't know this info was already posted here my bad.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Xbox Infinite (Anaconda)

Die - 352mm^2

GPU - 11.1TFLOP/s
Details: 64 CU, 8 disabled, 56 active, 1548MHz.

CPU - 8 cores, 16 threads, 3.3GHz.
Details: Zen 2.

Memory - 24GB GDDR6, 4GB DDR4.
Details: Samsung’s K4ZAF325BM-HC14 clocked at 3300MHz, 13.2Gb/s, 12 chips, 384-bit, 634GB/s. 24GB GDDR6 is available for developers, 3GB DDR4 dedicated to the OS, 1GB DDR4 dedicated to the SSD.

Storage - 256GB NVMe SSD, 2TB HDD

Details: Players don’t have access to the SSD, the 2TB drive is replaceable, an external drive works too. The OS manages the SSD for caching, Microsoft is using machine learning algorithms for analyzing games while they are being played on the development kit, the algorithm keeps track of what blocks are being used and what blocks are most likely to be used next while developers are playing the games for thousands of hours. The OS keeps on the SSD only relevant blocks to the last known player position in the game. For example, if the player is in level 3, the OS won't load level 6 to the SSD until the player reaches level 5. The SSD also keeps a compressed memory snapshot when a game is closed for fast launching the game to the spot the player had left it. Developers have some control over what is stored on the SSD by marking a block's priority level if they wish to do so. If a player hasn't touched a game for a while, if necessary its' memory snapshot and or data will get dumped from the SSD.

Cooling - Vapor chamber

External media drive - Blu-ray optical drive

Price - 499$

Xbox Infinite Value (Lockhart)

Die - 288mm^2

GPU - 4.98TFLOP/s
Detail: 40CU, 4 disabled, 36 active, 1081MHz.

CPU - 8 cores, 16 threads, 3.3GHz.

Memory - 18GB GDDR6, 4GB DDR4.
Details: 2600Hz, 10.4Gb/s, 9 chips, 288-bit, 374GB/s.

Storage - 120GB NVMe SSD, 1TB HDD

Cooling - Blower fan

External media drive - None

Price - 299$

Extra Stuff

Microsoft's Rules on Game Development to Game Developer:

- Develop your game to the Xbox Infinite as a lead platform.
- Xbox Infinite Value was built to run even sub-4K Xbox Infinite games in Full HD.
- Xbox Infinite Value version is allowed to run above 1080p, but it isn't allowed to have better graphical features, higher fidelity or frame-rate than the Xbox Infinite.
- Microsoft recommends using any leftover headroom on the Xbox Infinite Value GPU to increase resolution.

P.S. Take it at your own risk.

this was already posted in this thread. go troll someplace else. honestly why aren't u banned yet?

TeamGhobad

Banned
Sorry, I do not check this thread very often and 2nd you gotta stop being hostile for no real reason dude.

3rd - Why you so angry? You not having a good day today?

its a trashy pastebin leak. seriously? and u claim to have insider sources LOL.

Braldryr

Banned

its a trashy pastebin leak. seriously? and u claim to have insider sources LOL.

1st off I did not know it was a pastebin leak. I found it on a random forum. 2nd I made a mistake and did not check this thread. 3rd - stop fucking insulting me you fucking idiot. I was only trying to add to the conversation. On the ignore list you go buddy.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
I never said that Pastebin was my source you fucking idiot. I was only trying to add to the conversation. Seriously go fuck yourself you piece of shit.

you're a fake leaker that was just exposed. and yes you did claim to be an insider with your daddys business cards. stop making excuses.

Im guessing $120-130 for a 350mm2 APU.
Sounds good IMHO. 7nm wafers are more expensive (prices could drop next year, along with increased yields and maybe EUV).

Remember people saying we would never get a $300 CPU on a console? That and an RTX 2080/1080 Ti contender will be very appealing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom