• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

B_Boss

Its flexible enough though it’s pretty stiff.

Gah...if only I could get an updated 2.1 Sony Proforma HDMI Cable. Its what I've been using for a few years now. I love the design and angled connector:

c700x420.jpg

Yeah it's called PS Collection, already better value than Gamepass on its own.

Well sure but that wouldn't really be newsworthy would it? Sounds like "new" news lol.

Riky

$MSFT
Weirdly enough is that both Series X and RTX 3000 cards doesn't work with the newer 8K Receivers because it output 4k120fps HDR in 4:4:4 chroma... you get a black screen.
PS5 is fine because it output in 4:4:2 chroma.

This guy is saying it is a bug in the HDMI chipset made by Panasonic.

There is an option on Xbox to allow 4:4:2 in the video settings.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Funnily enough, an activision guy posting about Geometry engine in ps5 "where VRS comes into play"

So according to the art lead of activsion, Ps5 does have VRS

t3f3rvF.png
Bumped across this on an article, was there any updated on this?

Over the next few months we should be seeing more and more developers talk about this stuff openly now that the NDA's are lifting.

I definitely need to read into the whole chroma, 4:4:4 HDR and bit rate topic...
For a normal consumer this is all to complicated😅
I thought HDMI 2.1 is one standard, just pick your preferred resolution, Hz and start playing, like on PC or old days... Not something with billions of different options, which even do not work correctly depending on console and TV.. 😅

farmerboy

To the best thread on GAF, and all those who have made it entertaining and informative

And to the fallen, banned or thread privileges revoked

And to the xbox aficionados, who I begrudgingly love but whose delusion knows no bounds

Now carry on entertaining me. I'm enjoying this.

Edit: Is there any way at all to see a wall of shame post count? Mod of War Mod of War pretty please?

Last edited:

Saberus

Thanks for the heads up.

I see so many articles that keep pushing the LG CX for next gen gaming and I would prefer more options so it might be best to wait it out.
I'm going to wait.. you will get better TV with HDMI 2.1 issues worked out and most likely cheaper.. give you opportunity to go 65 or 77 :)

This thread need to keep going, as Xbox tools aren't ready yet from what i've heard from Xbox fanboys.
Yeah, we need to keep this thread alive until those Xbox tools are ready.

Ready to accept that the PS5 is the superior console, you tools.

Messing with y'all, I love you guys. Power your dreams, velocity architecture, live long and prosper and all that.

ethomaz

Banned
Bullshit

hZRXTeU.jpg

this guy is an xbox fanboy and the one who said this: 😂

k3Ewklx.jpg
Just to remember SmartShift profiles are only used in DevKits
Retail machines do auto based in workload.

In any case I don’t believe these clocks he posted.

If these clocks were true games should be running way bad with framerate and we are sawing games doing the opposite.

Or maybe the Xbox fans are trying to say PS5 is bearing Xbox running at 1.2-1.8Ghz GPU and 2.0-3.2Ghz CPU lol

🤔

Last edited:

geordiemp

Brad said the same yesterday, looks like it is.

OK, I am being nice, Watch this timestamped

It is dirt developer showing latest DX12 VRS Tier 2 on the game on PC, so the new SDK that uses the new features is fully operational and optimised on Dirt on PC.

So people saying only old SDK, which would not do VRS tier 2 ..................and here we have a developer showing a completed game using it on 6800 XT. Nothing more needs to be said.

And to cheer you up Riky Riky , this racing game splats 1/3 of the screen as VRS to help performance (as racing games can get away with this), so it may help XSX in the head to head later today, you might get a win or close to it. :messenger_beaming:

Get your gloating ready, but dont get carried away, its a racing game with almost half the screen is using lower shader resolution in effect, watch dogs will not be so kind.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

A bit of context.
YouTube is taking too much time to process the 4k version of the video... like days or even weeks (he said some videos from Nov 12 doesn’t have 4k processed yet).
So he believes people finds the game bad because the YouTube 1080p shows a really bad game due the low video quality.

Jé posted two pictures... one from what YouTube shows in 1080p and another with how it looks on his capture.

To be fair in both pics the game looks bad.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
OK, I am being nice, Watch this timestamped

It is dirt developer showing latest DX12 VRS Tier 2 on the game on PC, so the new SDK that uses the new features is fully operational and optimised on Dirt on PC.

So people saying only old SDK, which would not do VRS tier 2 ..................and here we have a developer showing a completed game using it on 6800 XT. Nothing more needs to be said.

And to cheer you up Riky Riky , this racing game splats 1/3 of the screen as VRS to help performance (as racing games can get away with this), so it may help XSX in the head to head later today, you might get a win or close to it. :messenger_beaming:

Get your gloating ready, but dont get carried away, its a racing game with 1/3 of the screen using same shading, watch dogs will not be so kind.

You damage controlling now🤣🤣

We've already seen it on Gears 5, however other engines and games like the Ubisoft titles obviously don't use it. So some engines and some developers might have been able to start using RDNA2 features and some haven't due to their engines. This will improve over time.
The Dirt 5 guy said the tools " were coming in hot", the game got a 6gb patch the day before Series X release. They also have a marketing deal with AMD and Microsoft so it make sense they would be using these features.

As for " gloating" not really my style, I know how this will end and a couple of poor Ubisoft ports isn't going to change the overall narrative in say 5 years time. When we start seeing next gen only games pushing the machines fully we will revisit our conversations I'm sure, at the moment I've got too many games to play on my new Series X and S😁

Last edited:

geordiemp

You damage controlling now🤣🤣

We've already seen it on Gears 5, however other engines and games like the Ubisoft titles obviously don't use it. So some engines and some developers might have been able to start using RDNA2 features and some haven't due to their engines. This will improve over time.
The Dirt 5 guy said the tools " we're coming in hot" they also have a marketing deal with AMD and Microsoft so it make sense they would be using these features.

As for " gloating" not really my style, I know how this will end and a couple of poor Ubisoft ports isn't going to change the overall narrative in say 5 years time. When we start seeing next gen only games pushing the machines fully we will revisit our conversations I'm sure, at the moment I've got too many games to play on my new Series X and S😁

Not in any damage control. its not coming in hot when a game is finished using all the new features lol.

VRS works fine when your in constant movement, racing games, VRS would be more obvious and loosing quality in a game like Valhalla.

Even halo had VRS employed so it was also using 2x 1 tier 2, but VRS can be seen more easily when not in constant motion.

HPPKxeO.jpg

I am more interested to see what VRS or solution is used on ps5 to be clear on a title that splashes VRS everywhere on the moving screen. I expect Sony to only use their version for VR, but lets see.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Not in any damage control. its not coming in hot when a game is finished using all the new features lol.

VRS works fine when your in constant movement, racing games, VRS would be more obvious and loosing quality in a game like Valhalla.

Even halo had VRS employed so it was also using 2x 1 tier 2, but VRS can be seen more easily when not in constant motion.

HPPKxeO.jpg

Dirt5 had a massive 6gb patch the day before release to fix a load of issues including terrible screen tearing, just like Valhalla. It had another 3gb performance patch two days ago.

So the game has literally just been finished, just after launch.

As for Halo, well it's first party, we don't know what PC that was running on. My point is a lot of third parties have their last gen engines like Ubisoft, Capcom and Activision and will not have had time to start utilising the RDNA2 hardware yet. It's just a simple upres and framerate boost scenario due to new platforms, up to eight versions and Pandemic problems.
Things will get a lot better over the next 24 months.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Dirt5 had a massive 6gb patch the day before release to fix a load of issues including terrible screen tearing, just like Valhalla. It had another 3gb performance patch two days ago.

So the game has literally just been finished, just after launch.

Watch the video I posted. All games get last minute patches to fine tune, water is wet.

DX12U GDK was fine for pC. Done and dusted as shown in the video as it was amd sponsored and the latest GDK features like VRS Tier 2 were all included in the game build as part of the engine, so its not last minute lol.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Watch the video I posted. All games get last minute patches to fine tune, water is wet.

DX12U GDK was fine for pC. Done and dusted as shown in the video as it was amd sponsored and the latest GDK features like VRS Tier 2 were all included in the game build as part of the engine, so its not last minute lol.

Ive already explained to you why I think Dirt 5 and the likes of Ubisoft are different. I said they finished the game last minute not implemented RDNA2 features last minute, if you played Dirt 5 unpatched like I did you can see what a state it was in just a week ago.

ethomaz

Banned
GDK is being used in most optimized games on Xbox Series X... it is the most mature tool and basically only few optimized old games are using XDK.

You can check on Xbox Series X which game is using GDK or XDK.

Beyond3D made even a list today.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Ive already explained to you why I think Dirt 5 and the likes of Ubisoft are different. I said they finished the game last minute not implemented RDNA2 features last minute, if you played Dirt 5 unpatched like I did you can see what a state it was in just a week ago.

Using VRS tier 2 early on in the dev cycle and being optimised for 6800 XT is clear as daylight and shows GDK was up and rnning nicely.

Fine tuning for the XSX version for performance tweaks is a different discussion and can exist with the above statement.

geordiemp

GDK is being used in most optimized games on Xbox Series X... it is the most mature tool and basically only few optimized old games are using XDK.

Forza Horizon 4GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Apex LegendsXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Call Of Duty WarzoneXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Ori and the Will of the WispsXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Halo Master Chief CollectionXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Watch Dogs: LegionGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Dirt 5GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Devil May Cry V: Special EditionGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Control Special EditionGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Assassin's Creed ValhallaGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
GroundedGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Tetris Effect: ConnectedGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
The TouryustGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Call of the SeaGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Gears of War 5GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
The MediumGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Gonner2GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Sea Of ThievesXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Borderlands 3GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
EnlistedGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold warGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
CrossCodeGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Cyberpunk 2077XDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Concept DestructionGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Dead by DaylightGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Far Cry 6GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Hitman 3GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
JydgeGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
King OddballGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Man EaterGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Mortal Kombat 11GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
NBA2K21GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
No Man's SkyGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Observer: System ReduxGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
FortniteGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Fights in Tight SpacesGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
The FalconeerGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Overcooked! All you can EatGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Phantasy Star Online 2XDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Planet Coaster: Console EditionGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
WRC 9 FIA World Rally ChampionshipGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Yakuza: Like a DragonGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Rogue CompanyXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Ark Survival EvolvedXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
We Happy FewXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Rocket LeagueXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Star Wars SquadronsXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware

Slashinghook

Neo Member

That’s not how Software development works at all. Not even close. And no, none of these are fully optimized for XSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom