• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riky

$MSFT
Using VRS tier 2 early on in the dev cycle and being optimised for 6800 XT is clear as daylight and shows GDK was up and rnning nicely.

Fine tuning for the XSX version for performance tweaks is a different discussion and can exist with the above statement.

Up and running nicely for Codemasters and their engine maybe. Obviously not for Ubisoft who took the upres and framerate path with their last gen engine, most developers will take the path of least resistance with launch and Pandemic.

Things will get better, PS5 fans kicked a field goal on the first day of the season and have proclaimed themselves Superbowl winners, let's see how the full season pans out.

Slashinghook

Neo Member
Forza Horizon 4GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Apex LegendsXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Call Of Duty WarzoneXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Ori and the Will of the WispsXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Halo Master Chief CollectionXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Watch Dogs: LegionGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Dirt 5GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Devil May Cry V: Special EditionGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Control Special EditionGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Assassin's Creed ValhallaGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
GroundedGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Tetris Effect: ConnectedGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
The TouryustGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Call of the SeaGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Gears of War 5GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
The MediumGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Gonner2GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Sea Of ThievesXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Borderlands 3GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
EnlistedGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold warGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
CrossCodeGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Cyberpunk 2077XDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Concept DestructionGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Dead by DaylightGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Far Cry 6GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Hitman 3GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
JydgeGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
King OddballGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Man EaterGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Mortal Kombat 11GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
NBA2K21GDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
No Man's SkyGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Observer: System ReduxGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
FortniteGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Fights in Tight SpacesGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
The FalconeerGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Overcooked! All you can EatGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Phantasy Star Online 2XDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Planet Coaster: Console EditionGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
WRC 9 FIA World Rally ChampionshipGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Yakuza: Like a DragonGDK; Gen: ScarlettXboxGen9
Rogue CompanyXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Ark Survival EvolvedXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
We Happy FewXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Rocket LeagueXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware
Star Wars SquadronsXDK;Gen: DurangoXboxOneGen9Aware

Oh interesting. Star Wars Squadrons and Rocket League are both 120FPS on XSX, but not on PS5.
As they are not in BC mode - according to you - why can’t PS5 run those games in 120 FPS?

Defrop

Banned
Playstation 5
JNCTg9b.jpg

Toolbox
bASodFp.jpg

Playstation 5
VFbzLTa.jpg

Toolbox
kJaP6Tz.jpg

Playstation 5
quaxHQw.jpg

Toolbox
hB67YrQ.jpg

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Maybe you should complain with MS I guess... it is their definition not mine.

I'm not complaining, MS have made a massive effort on older games which is great, playing Warzone at 120fps and VRR is fantastic. It doesn't use the RDNA2 feature set though obviously.

geordiemp

Oh interesting. Star Wars Squadrons and Rocket League are both 120FPS on XSX, but not on PS5.
As they are not in BC mode - according to you - why can’t PS5 run those games in 120 FPS?

I have no idea what your talking about, I listed the DX12 development kits used for each game on xbox on the topic of tools being late.- do you understand what is being discussed here ? NEXT GEN GAMES.

You then go off in a totally opposite subject about ps5 running ps4 games ? Ps5 needs a patch to run ps4 games at 120 FPS. This has already been stated many times. Some xbox old games have been upgraded / patched on xbox but not ps5 - so what ?

Last edited:

Slashinghook

Neo Member
BC games on PS5 can’t run at 120fps... it is a limitation of PS4/PS4 Pro BC.

That is know for weeks already.

You need to port the games to native PS5 to run at 120fps.
I have no idea what your talking about, I listed the DX12 develeopment kits used for each game on xbox on the topic of tools being late.- do you understand what is being discussed here ? NEXT GEN GAMES.

You then go off in a totally opposite subject about ps5 running ps4 games ? Ps5 needs a patch to run ps4 games at 120 FPS. This has already been stated many times.

wtf you just said those are fully optimized nextgen Games based on the new SDK, not BC games using old SDK. Can you makeup your mind please?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
wtf you just said those are fully optimized nextgen Games based on the new SDK, not BC games using old SDK. Can you makeup your mind please?
Wut? Are you high?

GDK is being used in most optimized games on Xbox Series X... it is the most mature tool and basically only few optimized old games are using XDK.

You can check on Xbox Series X which game is using GDK or XDK.

Beyond3D made even a list today.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I think you just don’t know how Software development works.
And you have no ideia what are you talking about.

The list I posted shows that most Xbox Series X optimized games are using GDK (that Xbox fans try to say that was late, devs didn’t received the kits, etc etc etc) and the list some few games using XDK.

And you complain about PS5 not running a BC game at 120fps because you know PS4/PS4 Pro BC doesn’t support 120fps lol

BTW I work in software development... 18 years already lol

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Up and running nicely for Codemasters and their engine maybe. Obviously not for Ubisoft who took the upres and framerate path with their last gen engine, most developers will take the path of least resistance with launch and Pandemic.

Things will get better, PS5 fans kicked a field goal on the first day of the season and have proclaimed themselves Superbowl winners, let's see how the full season pans out.

4e31ac32-76ef-439e-b14b-b80b6f4fb483.gif

I went to see if electronics store have PS5 stuff, and they still had 5 series s on the shelf, like last week I visited them :messenger_savoring:

Popularity seems to about the same as xbox usually have = low.

I guess Finns dont see The incredible value of game pass like I guessed months ago:messenger_beaming:

I wish those would have been PS5. Already selling around 1000€ on auction sites

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Okok, I just saw a picture of a PS5 in a bathtub filled with water.

A few days ago I saw a video of someone willfully destroying his PS5 for Youtube.

But nobody destroys their PS5 to finally take a die-shot...
I agree that's a shame, however this type of shot requires far more brain cells than to just destroy it. People are shit, not sure why would anyone destroy perfectly functional thing just for the shit and giggles, but that's just me.

HoofHearted

Is this real?

Seems to be ... about the 5th time I’ve seen it.

The document also appears in line with other typical updates from Microsoft I’ve received in the past on various software product, SDK, and platform updates (I’m a software engineer/architect by trade - though not a game developer to be clear).

A bit of context.
YouTube is taking too much time to process the 4k version of the video... like days or even weeks (he said some videos from Nov 12 doesn’t have 4k processed yet).
So he believes people finds the game bad because the YouTube 1080p shows a really bad game due the low video quality.

Jé posted two pictures... one from what YouTube shows in 1080p and another with how it looks on his capture.

To be fair in both pics the game looks bad.

I mean that looks pretty damn good to me, the captured one.

HoofHearted

I mean that looks pretty damn good to me, the captured one.
Well he does have a point... there appears to be a clear difference between the YouTube capture versus the Twitter image.

Which is why (IMHO) it’s a bit silly to compare/contrast these games based on screenshots from YT videos. There’s too much modification (and loss) to the original source.

The only real takeaway here from the comparison videos are the reported performance indicators (framerate, tearing, etc).

Now experiencing this generation of consoles, I find it particularly sad to see so much focus on what equates to miniscule differences between the rendered output of these amazing consoles...

Just play the games... ;)

Slashinghook

Neo Member
Bullshit

hZRXTeU.jpg

this guy is an xbox fanboy and the one who said this: 😂

k3Ewklx.jpg

This guy does not know what he is talking about though. The final GDK was released in JUNE 2020. The one from 2019, was just a PREVIEW preview build and really buggy. Also, the preview version did not support development of commercial games.

For RETAIL games devs had to use the GDK that was released in June 2020. All the devkits beforehand were NOT supported.

Just refer to the official release notes from MS:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EnRp_6NXMAAdOmd?format=jpg&name=medium

Just because an alpha preview is available, doesn’t mean that you can use it to develope games.

geordiemp

This guy does not know what he is talking about though. The final GDK was released in JUNE 2020. The one from 2019, was just a PREVIEW preview build and really buggy. Also, the preview version did not support development of commercial games.

For RETAIL games devs had to use the GDK that was released in June 2020. All the devkits beforehand were NOT supported.

Just refer to the official release notes from MS:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EnRp_6NXMAAdOmd?format=jpg&name=medium

Just because an alpha preview is available, doesn’t mean that you can use it to develope games.

Dirt 5 is finished with all new features included on multiple platform,s it was not done in a few months like you seem to be implying.

Listen

If you cannot listen, I will summarise to help you.

Dealer : GDK was in its infancy, allot left on the table

Dirt Developer

• GDK in its infancy because its new, but its not lacking, NO its not barebones
  • They brought most of the tools from XDK with familiarity and how it works
  • Infact stability and performance improved allot with GDK
  • I am really happy with it (GDK), if anything we are talking about really small things that I would like

Are you implying the dirt developer is wrong ?

Reficul

It says you can use it for development. It can not be used for certification for release.
Thats perfectly normal. New versions of iOS is available for preview months before it can be used for uploading apps to the app store. Or at least that was how it worked when I was developing iOS apps a few years ago.

Edit: If you were refering to the preview alpha from 2019 (as I guess you were) then you may have a point 😊
That may not have been available to develop games with.

Edit 2: But why release a alpha preview if you can't use it for programming?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom