• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSfox

Plus last week they posted this:

Does that mean we'll see new stuffs from the game at game awards?
AdvancedOldGelada-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The question I have is will all get firmware fixed/updated or will some or all be shit out of luck as it is a HW issue?
The receivers issues can't be fixed with firmware... it is a hardware bug in the Panasonic chipset used in these receivers.
Only a revision of these receivers (new versions) with a newer fixed Panasonic chipet can fix it.

Now about PS5 we don't have any evidence of hardware bug... in fact Sony claims 8K and VRR are coming and 8k 60fps requires 40Gbps.

PS. MS can fix via workaround on Series X giving an option to Xbox output in 32Gbps instead 40Gbps... that way Series X will works with these receivers.

Last edited:
From my basic understanding, GPU caching is many times inefficient when compared to CPU caching, and as a result the GPU is hitting the memory much more frequently. This hurts bandwidth which in turn hurts performance. GPU cache scrubbers improve caching efficiency which means less bandwidth hogging.

The real question here is, are the GPU cache scrubbers sort of like infinity cache? Someone here with more knowledge will have to explain.
One of the potential uses of the cache scrubber could essentially be to minimise cache evictions as much as possible and even eliminate i
them entirely. Cache evictions cause pipeline stalls which slows down the execution of instructions, wasting time which could be put into doing other things in the process, it also wastes processing cycles which only serves to further slow things down. You can read more regarding cache eviction here. The scrubber could essentially make that problem far less frequent or non-existent depending on how it's utilised. It can also trash away old and irrelevant cached data on the fly which makes room for other more important data to be cached, improving performance and potentially adding an extra layer of efficiency as it can save you precious bandwidth which could otherwise be wasted refetching data that isn't needed.

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing this on UE4 (wonder what hardware it was running on) gets me excited for what this gen’s gonna bring (especially GoW2 with all the rumours going around).

Don't forget Naughty Dog, especially with what BGs BGs has been alluding to, honestly I'm learning more and more each day about the next-generation technologies and my mind is blown thinking of the potential, especially with the second and third wave of games.

Just look at games like Death Stranding, Uncharted 4 and the Last of Us 2, industry benchmark graphics using the hardware of the PS4 from 2013 (which was great at the time) but now with the massive power available and more importantly with the new technologies like ray tracing, ultra-high SSD bandwidth, primitive/mesh shaders, GE + many others, just think of what studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and Bend Studios will be able to pull off.

Last edited by a moderator:

SSfox

Finding it very hard to maintain any interest in this, given that it’s probably yet another co-op multiplayer online service based game.

I wouldn't personally make conclusion this fast on a game i haven't even seen anything gameplay wise (doesn't make sens to me), and it's rocksteady here, all the games they made so far were super amazing to say the least.

Last edited:
I'd just like to know what the heck this fetish about people with just one "real" arm is about? Seems to be a thing between Sekiro and what they've shown of Elden Ring.....

You know...since Bluepoint did such a great job with Demon's Souls and Sony OWNS that title and property...no reason they can't make additional Souls games off of Demon's Souls. Demon's Souls 2, anyone?
Demon's Souls 2 is basically Dark Souls. Sony's teams never touched soulslikes as far as we know, and it's unwise to go against From Software in their field. Also because almost anyone who tried to do soulslikes even half as good as theirs just failed.
Sony can keep making other games and other genres, DeS Remake was a good way to use a classic exclusive and that's it.

Ptarmiganx2

Don't forget Naughty Dog, especially with what BGs BGs has been alluding to, honestly I'm learning more and more each day about the next-generation technologies and my mind is blown thinking of the potential, especially with the second and third wave of games.

Just look at games like Death Stranding, Uncharted 4 and the Last of Us 2, industry benchmark graphics using the hardware of the PS4 from 2013 (which was great at the time) but now with the massive power available and more importantly with the new technologies like ray tracing, ultra-high SSD bandwidth, primitive/mesh shaders, GE + many others, just think of what studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and Bend Studios will be able to pull off.

The PS5 was designed for ease of development, but Sony appears to have given developers the ability to take graphics above and beyond with GE. The 2022 exclusives will drop jaws. My money is on Days Gone 2 using UE5 or Naughty Dog‘s next game. Of course GoW2 and HZD Forbidden West get to go first. Sony is competing with themselves....

Last edited:

Spill the beans mate.

What did BGs say?

Neo Blaster

The PS5 was designed for ease of development, but Sony appears to have given developers the ability to take graphics above and beyond with GE. The 2022 exclusives will drop jaws. My money is on Days Gone 2 using UE5 or Naughty Dog‘s next game. Of course GoW2 and HZD Forbidden West get to go first. Sony is competing with themselves....
Cerny's philosophy for consoles is 'easy to develop for, hard to master'. Let anyone bring games easily for the system, but only those with time and resources will be able to exploit it. I'm sure Sony's biggest studios are already tinkering with GE for their next games.

FrankWza

This is going to sound crazy but maybe each systems strengths make them about the same.

I mean that could explain why the paper specs don't seem close but the reality is that the games are almost identical.
On the Sony side, the strength that’s a difference maker seems to be the SSD. It’s already proving to be a game changer, and it’s the first of its kind. The question is, how much more can developers squeeze out of its benefits? We don’t have anything to draw on since it’s never been done before. So far, it appears to have done a good job at closing that teraflop gap

Tiptop10

Neo Member
There's an update for Spider-Man Miles Morales, hopefully that fixes some peoples issues with it.
Beat the game last night. Only issue I encountered through my entire playthrough was the costumes/suits not changing between cutscenes. some of those flashbacks where miles is wearing a SM suit when he's suppose to be in regular clothing were big LOL moments for me. Had to quit the game and get back in to fix it.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I wouldn't personally make conclusion this fast on a game i haven't even seen anything gameplay wise (doesn't make sens to me), and it's rocksteady here, all the games they made so far were super amazing to say the least.

You‘re far more optimistic about it than I am! But let’s hope you’re right. I just see a game designed to fulfil a profit margin rather than a genuinely creative endeavour. Pretty convinced it’s going to be a massive step down for Rocksteady, with a well designed single player experience sacrificed for a money making multiplayer shooter with no depth.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Spill the beans mate.

What did BGs say?
Lol just to be clear he didn't leak anything to me in DM's or something, I am referring to some of his replies on this thread.

Here 👇

Well, what you have seen today is UE5. Hellblade 2 is UE4 (currently). You may like the character and his work more or less, but you are comparing UE4 with UE5. Perhaps they have not been very successful teaching a character with cartoon features. But the logical thing is to think that what was created in UE4 would work just as well or even better in UE5.

It doesn't matter either. I mean that now a point has come where if you don't show something photorealistic it is because you don't want to or because you don't have the necessary financial resources for it.

Seeing what Naughty Dog has done with PS4, I would not try to think what Sony can do with PS5. I could blow your head off. But what if you try to imagine it in VR?
I don't think the difference in efficiency between the two platforms will change throughout the generation. What improves one will also improve the other. The whole generation will resemble the current results. The real difference will come with the second batch of First games for each platform. That's when people begin to understand what is PS5 and what is XSX. One thing is clear, there are many things on PS5 that you will never be able to see on another platform, so if you want certain games in your living room, you will have to buy one.

They taught me a ND (Naughty Dog) technology test, and I'm in shock.

I don't think the difference in efficiency between the two platforms will change throughout the generation. What improves one will also improve the other. The whole generation will resemble the current results. The real difference will come with the second batch of First games for each platform. That's when people begin to understand what is PS5 and what is XSX. One thing is clear, there are many things on PS5 that you will never be able to see on another platform, so if you want certain games in your living room, you will have to buy one.

They taught me a ND technology test, and I'm in shock.
I can't even imagine what Naughty Dog is gonna do with all the capabilities of PS5.

Also, what exactly is a Naughty Dog technology test?

MistBreeze

after watch dogs legion comparison and seeing both systems are extremely similar on resolutions and performance sides

with some minor advantages to each versions over the other

really the ps5 is punching above its weight

maybe the higher clocks ... and ssd showing loading advantages

both consoles are great hardware wise ... but the games are on ps5 side and that's what lure someone to buy console over the other

Rea

really the ps5 is punching above its
Weight.
Ps5 is not punching it's Weight. It's like you're saying Iphones are punching above its weight compared to Android phones. in reality, we can't always rely only on Teraflops to determine which machine is more powerful, if you watch Cerny's road to ps5, Teraflops is a metric for only one part of the GPU. There are others areas which ps5 is stronger. PS5's architecture is removing many bottlenecks of CPU, GPU and I/O throughput which old gaming hardwares are suffering in the past. That's why Tim sweeny from Epic said PS5 I/O throughput is state of the art and revolutionary when compare to others. Ps5 is not a weaker console by any means.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Xbox probabile needs to be in Chroma 4:2:2, can be done in the system menu. Like PS5 is running at. Now it runs in chroma 4:4:4 RGB. I think he needs to retest.

Not that, also RTX 3090 is using full chroma RGB 4:4:4 and works fine but capped at 40Gbps and 10-bit due to the bandwidth limitation of the AV receiver of 40Gbps (RTX 3090 has full 48Gbps). He explained it here that Xbox is sending compressed data vs uncompressed: (timestamped)

Vincent is the top TV expert you find now on youtube, so it's hard to question his results as he actually doesn't really care much about gaming in general but riding the bandwagon lately and to answer raised questions in his channel.

kyliethicc

Xbox probabile needs to be in Chroma 4:2:2, can be done in the system menu. Like PS5 is running at. Now it runs in chroma 4:4:4 RGB. I think he needs to retest.
Its just a small issue where some receivers can't process and pass through to TVs a compressed 4K 120 signal. Thats why the Xbox doesn't work, it uses DSC (compression) at FRL 4K@120 4:4:4 RGB to fit into the 40 Gb/s bandwidth.

PS5 doesn't use DSC, it just goes down to 422 YUV for FRL 4K@120 and problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom