• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelastword

Banned
yep, i am not really interested in multiplats at all, they are just the standard cannon folder rubbish that gets chucked about. I am looking at those defining sony exclusives, thats what the majority of people really buy the machine for, those God of wars, those uncharted, those horizons, those games are going to blow everything else away.

Microsoft just can not compete, their whole ethos is wrong. and not that the multi-plat barrier has crumbled what is left. The studios they bought. I expect the fast majority of them to end up on ps5. Imagine the install base is 7 years time 200 million vs 50 million if they are lucky. that's just to much money and too many sales not to cash in to.
No doubt, crazy thing is, we can expect all these Bethesda games to be better on PS5 too unless they gimp the PS5 versions.....I can definitely see Doom Eternal running at 120Hz locked on PS5 vs dips on Series X and I can see the 60fps mode having better effects and better texture quality, even the RT could be better too. So it's going to be crazy......If AC is any indication, Skyrim should love PlayStation 5, so should Fallout as long as they upgrade that engine...but if they are going for parite and gimpite on the PS5, then we won't see the true potential in these games...

But yes, first party should be bonkers.....Can't wait to see how much GT7 has improved, can't wait to see GOD of War, Killzone MP and UC5.....Silent Hill and MGS Remake should be earth shattering as well...

Riky

$MSFT
What a nice £1000+ choice man. Doesn't change the fact that majority of people do not have the it. 59.9 FPS at 1080p or 59.6 FPS at 1440p I'm sure we both know what we'd prefer but I guess brand loyalty won't let u admit it

ZstVl1z.jpg

assurdum

Banned
You play those using retroarch, wally chops
If it's that's simple why PS3 BC is not a thing on PS5? And you haven't answered to my true question. If a platform can handle easily BC for a very different hardware why should vastly outperform in multiplat crossgen development? Surely it can improve but don't believe to the narrative of "miracles working in progress" for the future.

Last edited:
Which it is, this isn't about being beaten by PlayStation its about 3rd party games vastly under performing to the hardware potential. It's a tools thing, once it's ironed out it'll all become apparent 😏

I'm not sure if there's a huge delta between the two systems. If there was then it would be already apparent even with issues with the tools. I honestly don't see tools activating a 50% delta at this point.

I don't think that's the case but PS5's CPU certainly seems to be pushing more than XSX's CPU. Maybe the unified cache rumor is real.

They do have more CUs per shader array than Sony does. However having more cache usually fixes this. What I'm not sure is what amount is needed for that. Cache does take up space on the die so that could be a reason why they didn't choose to put more into it.

Just my thoughts.

Edit: We really need that die breakdown though.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
2 flop plus higher memory bandwidth, there's deffo something wrong

Cross gen launch games that's all it is, Valhalla now runs better on Xbox, Dirt 5 has a bug in 120hz mode but doesn't have the framerate plummet like PS5 version, Call Of Duty doesn't have the framerate plummets on set pieces like PS5, DMC5 runs better on Xbox on 3 out of 4 modes, Xbox Watch Dogs can reflect puddles. It's actually just a mixed bag at the moment, the launch version of Valhalla was the main problem but that's been corrected quickly to a degree.
Main point is these are all last gen engine games, we'll find out a lot more as we get actual next games on next gen engines.

Neo Blaster

I think it's fair to say Sony has over-delivered at the start of this generation

Microsoft are still in the race i guess but "they are far at the back of the pack to use a racehorse comparison."
To think MS were at the top of the gaming market on the pre-Kinect Xbox 360 era...

Sony's arrogant moment effects ended when they started launching great exclusives for PS3.

MS are still feeling theirs till today, two generations later.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
In truth, this gen may be one of the closest with both consoles being capable, but I believe the PS5 is still more capable due to it's more customized architecture, parts of it which are not even being wholly utilized yet.....So I can see the PS5 leading the pack for the entire generation with better effects and performance....

Just yesterday I was thinking, sure, many multiplats are leading the charge on PS5, but these are mostly crossgen titles, realistically the PS5 strengths can be pushed more with a more advanced engine and game built ground up, and yes I'm still talking multiplats....So I've been thinking, DICE, did everybody forget about DICE? I think these guys will push PS5 like no other in the multiplat scene, their engine technology their games will be built with a next gen focus......so that is one of the reveals to really look out for....

This! The Frosbite engine is incredible and DICE have helped pioneer graphics technologies the same way EPIC and Unreal Engine has. They also pushed heavily the use of compute shaders and more compute based graphics workloads, it's one of the reasons why Battlefield 3 which was a visually stunning game at it's time ran incredibly well on the PS3 Cell Processor. DICE also influenced AMD's GCN architecture however Nvida lacked the same attention to this functionality which lead to a lot of GCN's potential being underused. LeviathanGamer has done a great thread on this and more in-depth which I shared already.

0yISBbz.gif

YbDnYZ4.gif

"You should assume the power of those consoles is much more than existing consoles. We can do a lot more. You will start to see things over the next couple of years that will blow people's minds," EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said in the earnings call.

This was from their tech demo which they released a while back, they also showed some destruction and smoke simulations which looked insane! They already announced that Battlefield 6 will be exclusives PC, PS5 and Series X which is great news and gives me confidence they'll deliver a visually stunning game and designed around the SSD's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinthor

Gold Member
2 flop plus higher memory bandwidth, there's deffo something wrong

PS5 has better and faster I/O pipelines. XSX memory is a split configuration, don't forget. That is largely why we're seeing what we are, IMHO. Also, don't forget that even that "2 flop" advantage you mentioned, is only 18% difference. With PS4 and XB1 there was 40% and it took Digital Foundry analysis videos and blow ups to show the differences there. So even if XSX was posting everything exactly 18% faster...you wouldn't be able to tell.

LiquidRex

This! The Frosbite engine is incredible and DICE have helped pioneer graphics technologies the same way EPIC and Unreal Engine has. They also pushed heavily the use of compute shaders and more compute based graphics workloads, it's one of the reasons why Battlefield 3 which was a visually stunning game at it's time ran incredibly well on the PS3 Cell Processor. DICE also influenced AMD's GCN architecture however Nvida lacked the same attention to this functionality which lead to a lot of GCN's potential being underused. LeviathanGamer has done a great thread on this and more in-depth which I shared already.

YbDnYZ4.gif

"You should assume the power of those consoles is much more than existing consoles. We can do a lot more. You will start to see things over the next couple of years that will blow people's minds," EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said in the earnings call.

This was from their tech demo which they released a while back, they also showed some destruction and smoke simulations which looked insane! They already announced that Battlefield 6 will be exclusives PC, PS5 and Series X which is great news and gives me confidence they'll deliver a visually stunning game and designed around the SSD's.

This is what I'm looking forward to seeing in next gen titles, now that CPU power won't be so much of an issue. 🤔

Duchess

Digital Foundry have a new AC:V video up:

The short of it is that the XSX's resolution now bottoms out at a lower bound to deal with the performance issues and tearing. The PS5 version appears unchanged (so, it's operating at a higher res). DF said they didn't experience the insane frame rate problems that others are reporting with the PS5 patch.

roops67

Is there any solution for the coil whine for PS5? Mine is getting too obnoxious in the silent scenes.
You need check if it is actually really coil-whine or just a sticker rubbing against the fan
Probably best way is switch off the PS5, get the side panel off and blow air into the fan to spin it up or use a vacuum hoover pipe against it. I think THEAP99 THEAP99 had this issue should check if it's just a stupid sticker! Lucky if it is then it's an easy fix :messenger_ok:

Last edited:
yep, i am not really interested in multiplats at all, they are just the standard cannon folder rubbish that gets chucked about. I am looking at those defining sony exclusives, thats what the majority of people really buy the machine for, those God of wars, those uncharted, those horizons, those games are going to blow everything else away.
I suppose you are talking about "big" multiplats. There are a lot of small\medium\indies multiplats that vary from good to masterpiece.

SkankHunt420

Neo Member
The average resolution is 1080p on Xbox?

You can't have it both ways, saying the Xbox version is 1080p when it's only for a few seconds is the same as saying the PS5 version runs at 51fps when it only happens for a few seconds.
The moments ps5 drops more than xsx are the moments when ps5 is pushing 1440p and the xbox is just doing 1080p, the update made the dynamic resolution more agressive in the xsx, thats why its performing somewhat on par with the ps5. Ps5 version didnt get an update, they just leave it like it was already and just added the 30fps mode. I believe ps5 could go down to 1100~1200p and solve the drops, but seems like ubisoft its happy with how things are now.

Ptarmiganx2

I know there will be situations where the XSXs compute advantage will give it the better version of a game. However it seems like it's going to take developers some time to extract all that power from those CUs. With the PS5 it's an easy task to achieve from the start while it's more difficult on the XSX.

I've seen some predict that developers will give us results soon but I have my doubts shout that. It could take years for developers to learn how to feed those additional CUs. Much like it took some developers a long time to get used to the PS3s hardware.

It's true that Microsoft isn't lying. However they said the XSX is the most powerful system so people expect the best version of multiplats on it from launch. Plus some people's expectations were set really high due to all those youtubers (example Dealer) not analyzing the system beyond it's TF count.

Efficiency also comes into play. The XSX will likely never hit it’s theoretical max. Looks like the system may have a few bottlenecks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom