• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoboman

Now that the borderlands 3 comparison is out anyone remember this?

'PS5 dev kit is a bit easier to work with. Its well thought out and designed in ways that make it a bit easier to tweak and change things vs Anaconda. To say I prefer one over the other isn't' really fair because both are very good, but its just a bit easier to work with PS5. But Anaconda has the upper hand in terms of us being able to really push effects. The difference will come down to effects over resolution for us. We have both dev kits pushing 4K/60 on Borderlands 3 and we have almost zero loading times on both kits. Looking at them side by side the image is very similar'

Does the video make this almost false now then? No better effects mentioned in comparison on xbox but better shadows and foliage density on ps5.... 🤔

Did they get the labels mixed up on the dev kits or something....

giphy.gif

Im sure it looked that way on the surface, then developers started really getting a handle on real world performance

Cerny didn't emphasise a bottleneck free design for nothing

Never talk to people who think that because Sony has become woke because of California, and who refuse to believe that everywhere besides Japan only counts as success. My god they are zealots.

Last edited:

Jemm

I don't have the new Xbox but, is this normal? Dan of Gigaboots just posted this video and apparently if games have Smart Delivery attached to them they take forever to download. In the video he basically re-enacts his experience with MS costumer service on this issue. I think his Series X is making him have a mental breakdown.
Smart Delivery is also for earlier Xboxes - not just the Series S or X. The point is that you can buy the game once and install the same game on older and newer consoles and it'll install the best version for that console - including possible future mid-gen updates. I see it more as a licensing model rather than technology. It has nothing to do with download speeds.

Anyway, I haven't noticed anything strange in downloads (expect that they are maybe faster than before) and it shouldn't matter, if the game supports Smart Delivery or not. I tried googling this issue, but didn't find any other mentions. Obviously, the maker of that video has some other network issues and has no idea what he is talking about.

TwistedSyn

Smart Delivery is also for earlier Xboxes - not just the Series S or X. The point is that you can buy the game once and install the same game on older and newer consoles and it'll install the best version for that console - including possible future mid-gen updates. I see it more as a licensing model rather than technology. It has nothing to do with download speeds.

Anyway, I haven't noticed anything strange in downloads (expect that they are maybe faster than before) and it shouldn't matter, if the game supports Smart Delivery or not. I tried googling this issue, but didn't find any other mentions. Obviously, the maker of that video has some other network issues and has no idea what he is talking about.
Ok. Then explain this to me. Why is that Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (Doesn't have Smart Delivery) downloads just fine in the video @16:58 while everything else in that list has Smart Delivery is having issues downloading. He has been having this problem since launch apparently. Also Dan is a technical guy so, that last part is wrong.

Shmunter

Ok. Then explain this to me. Why is that Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (Doesn't have Smart Delivery) downloads just fine in the video @16:58 while everything else in that list has Smart Delivery is having issues downloading. He has been having this problem since launch apparently. Also Dan is a technical guy so, that last part is wrong.
Smart doesn't mean fast. How many nerds do you see on track?

Jemm

Ok. Then explain this to me. Why is that Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (Doesn't have Smart Delivery) downloads just fine in the video @16:58 while everything else in that list has Smart Delivery is having issues downloading.
If this was a common issue, there would be more examples around the Internet. Hard to say why he is having download issues and others are not. He just assumes/jokes that it is due to Smart Delivery, since the games with downloading problem have other versions, too.

So other PS5 win. Downgrade patch incoming?

They look the same to me. PS5 seems to have slightly better shadows.

Is another virtual tied, yes PS5 wins in resolution but are close than we
basically need this kind comparison to be able difference the versions.

Good for PS5 but bad for other console which base its marketing in the
most powerful console.

Let's hear what Ricky thinks of this first.
giphy.gif

geordiemp

Maybe the older dev kits were more powerful than the current ones?

That's the only way that I can see they still be true because many games were originally made on dev kits using 2080Tis. Maybe the actual GPU is weaker than that so when they got the latest kits they had to downgrade somethings.

That's the only theory that makes sense to me and supports that vetted leak.

Every leak I have seen has been some poster with a wet finger in the air, vetted or not, and quite frankly I have ignored them all for good reason.

Even if someone heard one console has more TF, another hears one has better performance, they are contradictory anyway in some games so it was meaningless anyway.

Duchess

Good for PS5 but bad for other console which base its marketing in the
most powerful console.

Aye. It's odd, eh? On paper, the XSX should be performing better than the PS5, but the reality is that the PS5 is right now simply better.

Maybe devs need more time to get the most out of the XSX? Or maybe MS have gimped the system somehow in the hardware design.

Or it could be that the PS5, while having a lower spec, has all its components singing together better, leading to overall better performance.

Did we ever get to the bottom of the PS5's RDNA? As I understand it, AMD's RDNA 3 is said to be based on the tech they developed with Sony for the PS5, meaning that PS5 would be RDNA 2.5 or something. Speculation from earlier in the year (various sources) suggest so. Maybe we'll never know?

Aye. It's odd, eh? On paper, the XSX should be performing better than the PS5, but the reality is that the PS5 is right now simply better.

Maybe devs need more time to get the most out of the XSX? Or maybe MS have gimped the system somehow in the hardware design.

Or it could be that the PS5, while having a lower spec, has all its components singing together better, leading to overall better performance.

Did we ever get to the bottom of the PS5's RDNA? As I understand it, AMD's RDNA 3 is said to be based on the tech they developed with Sony for the PS5, meaning that PS5 would be RDNA 2.5 or something. Speculation from earlier in the year (various sources) suggest so. Maybe we'll never know?
The thing is everytime I heard the phrase "in paper is more powerful because have more flops"
is like hear race driver says a car will win a race just for have more horsepower and any person
who understand how the races work can say you "is not so simple".

The devs will improve yes but in both sides also any decent dev will not give an opinion about an
specific hardware without test every part they can, that is why in part the dev kits are so important,
the people love to oversimplified things and the companies abuse of that.

Finally doesn't exists such thing as RDNA 2.5 is not software both are customized, Sony knows its shit
also Xbox but the second is also focus in use the same hardware for its server and try be so compatible
as is posiblle so they can port for XSS/XSX and PC so this good for some things and bad for others.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Honest question. Where do you see the PS5's advantage?
I jumped through the video, but it seemed like they both run at the same resolution and FPS. Have I missed anything?

Thanks in advance.

It says in the description that both use a dynamic resolution in performance mode that ranges from 4K to 1440p, but in some areas, the Xbox Series X runs at 1440p while the PS4 runs at 1620p. He says the draw distance is slightly higher on the XsX, they look exactly the same on his comparisons.

So other PS5 win. Downgrade patch incoming?

Resolution on PS5 and Series X in this mode is dynamic, between 2160p and 1440p. In some areas, the resolution of PS5 is somewhat higher (1620p) than Series X (1440p). On S Series, the resolution is locked to 1080p. The draw distance is slightly higher in Series X, also, there seems to be some issues with the shadows on PS5 in quality mode.

Seems that the resolution is slightly higher in some areas on PS5, but it is written also it seems that the draw distance is slighly higher also on Series X so what to conclude about that ? (In this vidéo, impossible for me to see any différences hahaha)

Last edited:

'PS5 dev kit is a bit easier to work with. Its well thought out and designed in ways that make it a bit easier to tweak and change things vs Anaconda. To say I prefer one over the other isn't' really fair because both are very good, but its just a bit easier to work with PS5. But Anaconda has the upper hand in terms of us being able to really push effects. The difference will come down to effects over resolution for us. We have both dev kits pushing 4K/60 on Borderlands 3 and we have almost zero loading times on both kits. Looking at them side by side the image is very similar'

Does the video make this almost false now then? No better effects mentioned in comparison on xbox but better shadows and foliage density on ps5.... 🤔

giphy.gif

It seems like they simply took the Xbox One X and Pro versione and uoscaled to 4K\60.
Seems that the resolution is slightly higher in some areas on PS5, but it is written also it seems that the draw distance is slighly higher also on Series X so what to conclude about that ? (In this vidéo, impossible for me to see any différences hahaha)
Point is: any draws is seen as a PS5 win, because Series X was supposed to perform better by default.
But all these comparison are worthless, play where you want and decide on which console with other factors. Power is not a question this gen.

It seems like they simply took the Xbox One X and Pro versione and uoscaled to 4K\60.
Point is: any draws is seen as a PS5 win, because Series X was supposed to perform better by default.
But all these comparison are worthless, play where you want and decide on which console with other factors. Power is not a question this gen.

Yes, the marketing around the Series X became finally the worst thing for this game console. I have the Series X (I prefer Xbox environment and UI, but I'm use to buy all console so I'm also trying to buy the PS5 too, but impossible with the current situation...) and I think that's a really good system and I'm happy with it. I really think this time that we have two very good game consoles for this new generation.
For Fenyx game, rare to see near perfect performance across all platforms, and that's incredible to see that from a ubisoft game. :messenger_beaming:

vkbest

Honest question. Where do you see the PS5's advantage?
I jumped through the video, but it seemed like they both run at the same resolution and FPS. Have I missed anything?

Thanks in advance.

Read the comment of the video. Resolution is usually higher on PS5 on performance mode.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Digital Foundry states that the vast majority of people will play the 60 fps mode, performance is nearly identical at that mode between the two machines.

Which would you prefer to play @Riky.

Option A Ps5 Better assets, shadows, and foliage, + faster load times.
Option B XBOX looks worse, has less grass, trees etc, and slower loading.

Which of these do you think the vast majority of consumers are going to choose Riky, can you answer this question, please without deflecting?

Maybe he's a Scouser, so he can wait for 30 years without good 1st party games.

roops67

giphy.gif

Thanks for that :messenger_sunglasses:
I was gonna get around to shoving this back in the face of my good buddy Nikana Nikana . Can never forget the lovely exchanges we had over this. Many times I was told to pipe down cos it's vetted then it has to be legit!? How awkward this is for him now :messenger_beaming:

His 'story' wreaked of BS and I was pointing out the obvious contradictions. Let's see what nikana has to say about this now, I'm expecting more fabricated crap if he decides to respond. But I can't be assed with what he says anymore, the truth is known. Ain't it funny that there's no mention of tools are difficult to work with or they got the XSX 'Anaconda' devkits late (too bad he can't go back and changed his story :pie_roffles:)

But now that the story has been nullified, will Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights take it down and give nikana a slap on the wrist for being a naughty boy?

Larvana

I was gonna get around to shoving this back in the face of my good buddy Nikana Nikana . Can never forget the lovely exchanges we had over this. Many times I was told to pipe down cos it's vetted then it has to be legit!? How awkward this is for him now :messenger_beaming:

His 'story' wreaked of BS and I was pointing out the obvious contradictions. Let's see what nikana has to say about this now, I'm expecting more fabricated crap if he decides to respond. But I can't be assed with what he says anymore, the truth is known. Ain't it funny that there's no mention of tools are difficult to work with or they got the XSX 'Anaconda' devkits late (too bad he can't go back and changed his story :pie_roffles:)

But now that the story has been nullified, will Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights take it down and give nikana a slap on the wrist for being a naughty boy?
Posts like this make me wonder if you have anything better to do than being petty.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

giphy.gif

The poster, the title, the post itself are all meme-worthy. Maybe that's Gavin "Pigeon Whisperer" Stevens.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

JFC some of you people are sad. Do you really think I sat around and decided to fake credentials and stories for the sake of console warring?

gearbox.jpg

Now kindly piss off. If you have a problem with the information take it up with Gearbox.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
JFC some of you people are sad. Do you really think I sat around and decided to fake credentials and stories for the sake of console warring?

gearbox.jpg

Now kindly piss off. If you have a problem with the information take it up with Gearbox.
Alright all this talk about insiders, true or not, got me thinking and please don't take that as an offense.
But are you really that fond of Red power Rangers ?
Because I probably missed a lot what happenned in the power rangers universe but I remeber them being ultra cheesy when I was a kid.
Did they improved ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom