• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSfox

If what your implying is true, then the base consoles must freeze every two seconds no??

More than likely another bug in the monstrous list....

I dunno about freezes in current gen, but there is this:

Those freezes shouldn't happen with any SSD really.

This is true i agree, but in this case it seems like just it's running on BC, futures patches in XSX will probably remove all those freezes on this versions, what interesting tho is that PS5 already don't have any freeze already with just BC mode, just show how PS5 SSD is pretty good, and it will get even better with the 2021 upgrade patch.

I found that interesting too, I'm really curious too see how the next-gen patch works on the PS5 considering the SSD I/O as well as the CPU/GPU and ray-tracing performance. Hopefully CDPR do a good job of optimising it for the PS5. Just like Witcher 3, I think Cyberpunk will be widely used for multi-platform benchmarks and comparisons so it'll be fun to watch.

Yeah the game will improve vastly with time very likely, i hope CDPR will add a mode with RT+60fps that would be neat (please CDPR!!!)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, it's a bit early yet to predict 'the end.' However, it is possible that with the declining support MS gave the Xbox One with getting rid of so many development teams, etc. that their fan base has shrunk versus where it was coming off of the 360 generation to Xbox One. That would make sense even. We'll see more long term though.
oh dont get me wrong. i dont think the xbox is in trouble or anything. i just found it bizarre that they couldnt outsell the x1 at launch.

someone in the other thread pointed out that they sold more worldwide. it seems they distributed their allocations more evenly this time around.

Leyasu

Banned
I dunno about freezes in current gen, but there is this:

Piss poor performance or not. If it was the SSD in thePS5 that was the defining factor, then everything, PC included that don't have the same spec SSDs would ALL have the same freezes.

Leyasu

Banned
oh dont get me wrong. i dont think the xbox is in trouble or anything. i just found it bizarre that they couldnt outsell the x1 at launch.

someone in the other thread pointed out that they sold more worldwide. it seems they distributed their allocations more evenly this time around.
What were the production numbers compared to the xbone and sell through? Are there reports of of series Xs sitting on store shelves unsold?

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
What i mean is that those freezes seem to happen on XSX but not on PS5, likely cause PS5 has a much better SSD.

Rubbish.

It's just a bug like many others in the game, I haven't had it at all and I've even ran the game from an external slow HDD and it doesn't happen then either, if it was anything to do with SSD speed then it would barely move on an external HDD.

Riky

$MSFT

PS5 hits low forties.

ziMeJ6M.jpg

RCvnRBO.jpg

Really? Is this what we've come to fellas? Comparing this broke-ass game between systems? We are so close to a PS5 die shot x-ray, boys.

Side note: Cyberpunk seems like a pretty generic action RPG. Have I played it? No. Have I watched many reviews and long-plays? Yup. What am I not getting here? Anyone else feel the same?

Last edited:

Ptarmiganx2

The Last of US part 2 has won the most awards in #TheGameAwards history, 7 awards. 4 was previous record.

- Best Action/Adventure
- Best Performance, Laura Bailey as Abby
- Best Narrative
- Best Audio Design
- Accessibility
- Best Game Direction

AND the game of the year!

Enjoyed it. Although not as much as the first one. Ghost was a better game in my opinion.

"It delivers what you kind of would have hoped to have seen on the last gen machines."

- Digital Foundry on Xbox Series S

Which is to say he wishes the last-gen machines had a consistent, 30 fps at 1080p, like the current-gen Xbox Series S does, which last-gen machines aren't capable of.

:lollipop_pensive: it's okay, i know the reality is hard

Did I say anything false or misleading?

Sony has kept so much close to their chest. We'll know for sure once someone gets that x-ray die shot. Rumors have been floating around pretty hard for this. When you also consider current cross-gen performance between PS5 and Series X, it really wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

The consoles have been out for a month now, if there were anything worth discovering it would've leaked/been talked about, probably months before launch.

THEAP99

Banned
It will be interesting how Horizon Forbidden West fairs next year hopefully. But I am totally fine if they need to delay it in order to do a sequel full justice:

7c853f4cf5dc1a62962a9bed1cd1f2d4.png

That's pretty good for a first outing at an open-world game. If they listen to feedback and fully improve the sequel with some new great gameplay add-ons, we will be looking at a game that potentially wins the game of the year next year. Next year will probably be a rematch, HFW vs BOTW2.

Did I say anything false or misleading?

The consoles have been out for a month now, if there were anything worth discovering it would've leaked/been talked about, probably months before launch.
You're sure about that? Cause here we are and nobody outside of Sony and AMD has seen what the PS5 GPU actually looks like. This thread would have been closed a long time ago if that were the case. What I really find amusing is people's reaction to PS5 performance. They see the PS5 doing extremely well alongside Series X. Instead of asking what's exactly inside the PS5 that's keeping up with console that's "supposedly" more powerful, they instead look at the Series X and assume something is wrong. We still have rumors to confirm about PS5. Again, we still don't have the answers until we get that x-ray shot.

Last edited:

Ptarmiganx2

It will be interesting how Horizon Forbidden West fairs next year hopefully. But I am totally fine if they need to delay it in order to do a sequel full justice:

7c853f4cf5dc1a62962a9bed1cd1f2d4.png

That's pretty good for a first outing at an open-world game. If they listen to feedback and fully improve the sequel with some new great gameplay add-ons, we will be looking at a game that potentially wins the game of the year next year. Next year will probably be a rematch, HFW vs BOTW2.
Horizon was far better than BOTW. Nintendo won based on name and legacy alone. I almost didn’t bother finishing BOTW. It’s one of two games my wife started and didn’t finish.

Neo_game

ps5 is using last gen crowd, level of detail and traffic settings. thats why its performing well.

it seems CDPR did some extra work for the next gen xbox consoles by enabling some higher quality graphical settings that the ps5 does not have. thats why its performing better.

Xbox is definitely more optimized version as well going by the huge difference in loading times.

ToadMan

Cyberpunk 2077 hitting 60FPS on the PS5

Latest patch seemed to improve the amount of traffic and pedestrians a little at least.

Still looks like ass though.

Really? Is this what we've come to fellas? Comparing this broke-ass game between systems? We are so close to a PS5 die shot x-ray, boys.

Side note: Cyberpunk seems like a pretty generic action RPG. Have I played it? No. Have I watched many reviews and long-plays? Yup. What am I not getting here? Anyone else feel the same?

I’ve played about half the main story and side quests.

Yep it’s a fairly standard western RPG. The cyberpunk setting is what differentiates it but to me CDPR hasn’t quite captured it.

The setting feels more like Detroit or Black Mirror rather than Neuromancer or Blade Runner.

That’s not necessarily wrong - Black Mirror and Detroit are just as valid near future and cyberpunk as the older cyberpunk stalwarts. To me black mirror is modern cyberpunk.

But it’s not quite what I wanted. I hoped it’d be a bit more bleak, a bit more tech out of control and the characters a bit more interesting.

The plot line of the main story is a decent cyberpunk theme though - with Keanu Reeves presence it it’s difficult not to be reminded of Johnny Mnemonic because the story feels like a riff on that at points.

I do think CDPR went out of their way to be edgy and satirical like a GTA entry - but they fumbled that badly and just made juvenile sex references in lieu of any social commentary...

Also it’s difficult to play this after Demons Souls. The graphics and lack of tight gameplay reflect badly on CP2077. DeS feels like next generation gameplay despite being a gen older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom