• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToadMan

Already had a weird thing with this patch on PS5.

If I go and adjust HDR or non HDR gamma I can’t get back to the game. I had to reset defaults and then it would let me back in.

Gameplay still seems glitchy - had some weird bugs just a few minutes into trying it out ... decided to get a refund. I don’t care about the money - I’ll probably buy back in if the patches make it decent - but I feel CDPR and Sony need to get a big backlash to avoid this kind of poor quality content being released in future.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

Why don't Sony release official PS5 wireless Speakers, to take full advantage of the 3D Audio you could position them yourself to get that sweet spot. 🤷‍♂️

Why don't Sony release official PS5 wireless Speakers, to take full advantage of the 3D Audio you could position them yourself to get that sweet spot. 🤷‍♂️
Because speakers are a waste of time. It defeats the purpose of 3D audio if it isn't going to be maped around your ears and rotate when your head does. You don't position yourself to get the right sound; the sound gets positioned around your head no matter where you rotate yourself. That's where sound is heading, in particular the sound that would be used in PSVR2.

sinnergy

Because speakers are a waste of time. It defeats the purpose of 3D audio if it isn't going to be maped around your ears and rotate when your head does. You don't position yourself to get the right sound; the sound gets positioned around your head no matter where you rotate yourself. That's where sound is heading, in particular the sound that would be used in PSVR2.
It will never head that way .. who wants to wear ear plugs all the time ? I good surround system just works .. the sweet spot is pretty wide ..

It will never head that way .. who wants to wear ear plugs all the time ? I good surround system just works .. the sweet spot is pretty wide ..
You don't understand. We are talking about recreating sound as they should be, something speakers can never do. You have two ears, the only way for them to imitate reality is if they receive separate inputs like real life. To not just come close, but to actually BE there.

Last edited:

onesvenus

I want to play Valhalla next

but I heard some people saying it is a bad Idea gameplay wise coming from ghost of tsushima
If you want a counterpoint to that, I never finished GOT because I found it really uninteresting but I'm really enjoying Valhalla. I have spent more than 90 hours with that game.
Because speakers are a waste of time. It defeats the purpose of 3D audio if it isn't going to be maped around your ears and rotate when your head does. You don't position yourself to get the right sound; the sound gets positioned around your head no matter where you rotate yourself.
If that's the argument against speakers, why did they release the Pulse 3d headset then? It doesn't know if you have rotated your head either so the sound position is not fixed in space as it should be.

sinnergy

You don't understand. We are talking about recreating sound as they should be, something speakers can never do. You have two ears, the only way for them to imitate reality is if they receive separate inputs like real life. To not just come close, but to actually BE there.
I understand , it doesn’t matter, people are about convenience, wearing ear plugs all the time is not convenient.

a good Atmos / DTS-x setup sounds splendid and has enough directionality.

why don’t we wear earplugs in the theaters?

sircaw

Banned
It's time for me to finally go silent.

Would like to wish everyone a happy Christmas and a safe new year no matter what side of the console park you sit on.

It's time to concentrate on Mince pies, writing stories, and giving the Turkey a hell of a good stuffing.

To the friends i made, those that supported me and even you Mod of War Mod of War , you dirty bugsnax lover, have a great one.

Hope to see you in the new year.

xxxxx
Fish Rule :messenger_beaming: "lollipop_disappointed:

geordiemp

Would like to wish everyone a happy Christmas and a safe new year no matter what side of the console park you sit on.

It's time to concentrate on Mince pies, writing stories, and giving the Turkey a hell of a good stuffing.

To the friends i made, those that supported me and even you Mod of War Mod of War , you dirty bugsnax lover, have a great one.

xxxxx

xxxxx

Have a good one, fishy!

I understand , it doesn’t matter, people are about convenience, wearing ear plugs all the time is not convenient.

a good Atmos / DTS-x setup sounds splendid and has enough directionality.

why don’t we wear earplugs in the theaters?

We should! Would make for a far superior experience. As for one, you wouldn't care so much about the assholes in the back row who just won't shut up.

We don't though, because people would steal them and so Theatres would lose too much money. Same thing happened with the 3D glasses.

The Coalition is really MGS's primary saving grace, atm. They make great games that both look and run excellently on all platforms. They also super productive as a studio. If I was Matt Booty, I'd be promoting the studio lead to executive producer level across all MGS studios with a view to taking what works so well at the Coalition and exporting it to all their other studios.

...I'd also put the studio to work on something other than the tired old Gears franchise.

xxxxx

Oh noes fishy is getting eaten for new years.

:messenger_frowning_

MistBreeze

If you want a counterpoint to that, I never finished GOT because I found it really uninteresting but I'm really enjoying Valhalla. I have spent more than 90 hours with that game.

If that's the argument against speakers, why did they release the Pulse 3d headset then? It doesn't know if you have rotated your head either so the sound position is not fixed in space as it should be.

actually Im playing valhalla now only 4 hours and enjoying the story a lot

gameplay still early ... but yes it is clearly not even close to ghost of tsushima but I will give it time

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

xxxxx

Stay safe my friend

Imtjnotu

xxxxx
Where the fuck you going

kyliethicc

Do we know what the res is? If it's 4K for those modes, I'd rather have 1080p + 60fps + RT.
No. Control uses an upscaling method from a lower native res, like Spider-Man does, so it took 1080p @ 30 Hz and upscaled it to 2160p on PS4 Pro. Xbox One X is same but from 1440p @ 30 Hz upscaled. The PS4 is 900p and XOne is 720p.

So I assume Control on PS5 / XSX can be a stable 60 FPS at around same res as the old consoles ran with unstable 30 FPS. So the 60 mode should be like 1080p to 1440p? We just know the RT mode is 30 Hz, and has better graphics than the 60 mode.

So maybe 1080p / 1440p @ 30 / 60 Hz.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

vgchartz.... they basically make up the numbers.

So they gave Sony Guiness record based on fake numbers? Interesting

EK2TAxiVAAE7G0O

Mr Moose

Huh. I'll admit to being wrong, if VGChartz has been vetted by Guinness. In the past, they were proven to have numbers off from NPD, Famitsu, and Media Create.
VGChartz Methodology Data-Collection Methodology

Since the end of 2018 VGChartz no longer produces estimates for software sales. This is because the high digital market share for software was making it both more difficult to produce reliable retail estimates and also making those estimates increasingly unrepresentative of the wider performance of the games in question. As a result, on the software front we now only record official shipment/sales data, where such data is made available by developers and publishers. The legacy data remains on the site for those who are interested in browsing through it.

On the hardware front we continue to produce weekly estimates, based on retail sampling and trends in individual countries, which are then extrapolated to represent the wider region. This typically allows us to produce figures that end up being within 10% of the actual totals.

This data is regularly compared against official shipment figures released by the console manufacturers and figures estimated by regional trackers with greater market coverage than ourselves (such as Famitsu in Japan or NPD in North America). We then update our own estimates to bring them into line with those figures. This can result in frequent changes often within a short space of time, but we feel it's important to prioritise accuracy over consistency.

Our weekly hardware estimates break down into the following regions (individual countries/regions tracked are shown in brackets):
  • - Americas (US, Canada & Latin America)
  • - Europe (UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Benelux & the Nordic countries)
  • - Asia (Japan, mainland Asia & the Middle East)
  • - Oceania (Australia & New Zealand)

Tripolygon

Banned
DWVR Update: PS5 support and 120 FPS : PSVR (reddit.com)

On Ps5 backwards compat mode there is a good deal more CPU performance and GPU performance, but its still not as much as true PS5 applications can do. The hard drive performance is more or less similar as a PC that has an SSD instead of what the ps5 can really do. DWVR performs quite similar to how it does on a high end gaming PC. Devs improving their games is a special case. If the game has "automatic" performance, like variable resolution, then it will already improve without the dev doing anything. For the devs that want to have a specific PS5 mode, like mine, cyberpunk, and blood and truth, you need to ask playstation developer support and explain your case.

They want developers to do actual ps5 patches, not hack ps4 games to run at higher res while on PS5 backwards-compat mode. Thus why it needs to be approved. VR games should have no issue if they just ask.
Question: Out of curiosity, why do you think your game was one of the 1% of games that wasn’t backwards compatible? We’re you doing something weird in the code?
I have no idea. The version that was broken was using Unreal Engine 4.20, with some small tweaks, but it didnt work. I was already making a patch for the game, and that patch updated the engine to 4.22. When i tried that version, i saw that it worked, so didnt have to do anything but finish that patch and add ps5 settings.

Last edited:

Insane Metal

Gold Member

Impressive, they doubled the performance on XBone vanilla. 10 -> 20FPS in one update. Lol. It's almost playable now.

In that desert scene the Series S seems a lot clearer now too.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Impressive, they doubled the performance on XBone vanilla. 10 -> 20FPS in one update. Lol. It's almost playable now.

In that desert scene the Series S seems a lot clearer now too.

Got to say this patch is really good for last gen gamers.

Anyone with a One X ow has 2077 running at 30 fps most of the time. Some hitches to the mid/high 20s, but mostly 30 fps.

roops67

Microsoft does not innovate when it comes to hardware, this is their knee jerk to Apple. Microsoft haven't designed a ARM based CPU, they're getting that work done from Qualcomm. As for using ARM in consoles, only if Sony does it first and then they will follow
I feel your anguish bro! Only if Sony stuck with CELL we may have been seeing some really incredible stuff this generation that would have been closer to next gen being shown now! Tho Sony's 1st party Devs learnt to master the SPU's, Sony would have been left far behind on third party games and likely not survived the market. So had no choice to go the x86 route to survive, shame!

Realistically x86 ISA is on its way out, I believe there's s good chance Sony will go ARM with PS6. They're not just for low power mobiles anymore, they're getting deeper pipelines bigger caches and heavier SIMD vector instructions. Apple are making the most powerful commercially used ARMs which they're confident to eventually replace the Intel X86 used in their desktops. And ARMs are used for the world's most powerful supercomputer!
I don't think it's the end of road for CELL tho, I believe there will be a big revival. The world was not ready for the exotic nature of the CELL architecture back then, it was too ahead of its time!

Sony are reintroducing SPU's in the PS5 , which can be used for other tasks more than 3D audio, whatever the developers wish cos it sure is a lot more efficient at massively parallel powerful general work that GPU streaming processors have difficulty with. (The GFLOPS are almost identical to the original CELL, I suspect they might be leaving it open for PS3 BC??)

I believe there's a good chance we could see an almagamation of SPUs and ARMs for next gen of CELL processors, first truly next gen processors that will have the best of both CPU's and GPU's (not APU's which are tightly integrated discrete CPU and GPU), the realization of Ken Kutargi's dream! This could be the heart of the PS6?! It could interpret X86 instructions on the fly for BC if they can get around the shitty Intel legalities

... Yeah I know I'm dreaming a bit, but hey how fast tech is moving it could be a possibility

xacto

xxxxx

You will be back, fish. And more afraid than ever. Fish never rule, they're food.

Merry Fishy Christmas to you too!

base

Banned
Still no info about the nextgen patch for PS5/XSX for the Witcher 3? It was announced early September. They had enough time to make it. An external company is doing it for CDPR, they made the 4k patch for PS4 Pro and Xbox One X some time ago so they got some experience with the game's code. Releasing the patch now would help CDPR to regain some trust of the gamers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom