• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here, is this also a bug?

dirt5-1.png
That's probably that shitty VRS.

Anyway even after the patch correcting the bug, PS5 version looks a lot better even the 120FPS mode.

Riky Riky IDK why you're laughing, say anything you will, XSX version of this game specifically is worse looking than PS5.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
That's probably that shitty VRS.

Anyway even after the patch correcting the bug, PS5 version looks a lot better even the 120FPS mode.

Riky Riky IDK why you're laughing, say anything you will, XSX version of this game specifically is worse looking than PS5.

Xbox version doesn't use VRS at present, if it did it would be Tier 2 and you can't obviously see that as per Gears 5.

Also wrong about Dirt 5 120hz mode, as confirmed by DF,

FvgjhCw.jpg

Xbox version doesn't use VRS at present, if it did it would be Tier 2 and you can't obviously see that as per Gears 5.

Also wrong about Dirt 5 120hz mode, as confirmed by DF,

FvgjhCw.jpg
DFs video shows XSX version and PS5 version running side by side. PS5 looks better. You can also see NXGs video. It's been fixed but many assets are lower quality, simple as that.

Also D5 devs said they ARE using VRS on the XSX, if that's not the case then it's just being rendered at a lower resolution since the car picture that Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem posted is still the same after the patch.

Riky

$MSFT
DFs video shows XSX version and PS5 version running side by side. PS5 looks better. You can also see NXGs video. It's been fixed but many assets are lower quality, simple as that.

Also D5 devs said they ARE using VRS on the XSX, if that's not the case then it's just being rendered at a lower resolution since the car picture that Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem posted is still the same after the patch.

Show them, I've just shown a Dirt 5 screen post patch where the PS5 version is 20fps lower than Series X. DF haven't done a video post patch so that's wrong also.

Codemasters use VRS on PC version not Series X, easy way to find out is ask them on twitter, like I did.

Last edited:
Yes the post patch video is from NXG, regardless of his opinion just watch it, the difference is clear.

I've seen people say that NXgamer is trash because he's a hardcore Sony Fanboy. But if you ignore what he says and just focus on what he shows you can come to your own conclusions.

I have a lot of respect for NXgamer and his work which is why I find it sad that people write him off because they think he's a Sony zealot. Which I don't believe he is BTW.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
JTGVbuy.jpg
jY98V5O.jpg

Not sure what else the blockiness of the second picture could be (just zoomed on both screenshots and took another screenshot with my phone :LOL:) if not VRS at play and there is still confusion about it being used... boh...

VRS so far been a gimmick that ruins the final image. You don't even need to zoom in, pretty obvious.

Also I'm still waiting for your avatar...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ironic, innit

You know what's interesting? DF needed Epic Games devs to tell them that the UE5 gameplay demo on PS5 was 1440p not native 4K, also they needed Bluepoint devs to tell them about original source of Demon's Souls performance mode that looked more native 4K than any other native 4K we've seen so far, and it was 1440p.

Why they fuck would we even need that shite tech "VRS" to begin with.

When you have "depth of field" like here, that when you sneak your geometry culling.

vlcsnap-2020-10-12-21h05m26s655.png

And no, it's gameplay and it's not photo mode nor direct feed, it's a still from the youtube compressed video.

We're dealing with polished BS at the moment, I can't wait for the real deal.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You know what's interesting? DF needed Epic Games devs to tell them that the UE5 gameplay demo on PS5 was 1440p not native 4K, also they needed Bluepoint devs to tell them about original source of Demon's Souls performance mode that looked more native 4K than any other native 4K we've seen so far, and it was 1440p.

Why they fuck would we even need that shite tech "VRS" to begin with.

When you have "depth of field" like here, that when you sneak your geometry culling.

vlcsnap-2020-10-12-21h05m26s655.png

And no, it's gameplay and it's not photo mode nor direct feed, it's a still from the youtube compressed video.

We're dealing with polished BS at the moment, I can't wait for the real deal.
Just yesterday they couldnt figure out if the RE Maiden demo was native 4k or not. they kept saying it looks native 4k and had to look at the smoke effects in the fireplace to find any kind of artifacts. Even then they were like we cant say for sure if its using reconstruction.

at that point, does it really matter? I hope most games stick with 1440p or use reconstruction and free up half of the GPU resources on better visuals instead of more pixels.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Just yesterday they couldnt figure out if the RE Maiden demo was native 4k or not. they kept saying it looks native 4k and had to look at the smoke effects in the fireplace to find any kind of artifacts. Even then they were like we cant say for sure if its using reconstruction.

at that point, does it really matter? I hope most games stick with 1440p or use reconstruction and free up half of the GPU resources on better visuals instead of more pixels.

I'm a pixel/graphics whore, but 100% with you. Not sure if they used PS5's proprietary reconstruction method there though, and if they did it doesn't mean that it's hard to implement just like checkerboarding chip on PS4 Pro, or like Tempest/GE.

To me it looked pretty sharp, and I think it's dynamic 4K according to 60fps and raytracing. Well, it's only bad when consoles do it, PC zealots talk about DLSS as if it's native 4K.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

All I know is the games are looking killer and starting to get 120 fps options makes me super happy.

I have been playing through several of these games on both systems that people are fighting over who won and honestly for my old eyes things look so super close its just pick where you want to play and be happy about it.

I am pretty down on Xbox atm over more then just that pricing fiasco but still very happy with my Series X.

PS5 still gets my main gaming time even though I have disabled the controllers feedback

Bo_Hazem

Banned
All I know is the games are looking killer and starting to get 120 fps options makes me super happy.

I have been playing through several of these games on both systems that people are fighting over who won and honestly for my old eyes things look so super close its just pick where you want to play and be happy about it.

I am pretty down on Xbox atm over more then just that pricing fiasco but still very happy with my Series X.

PS5 still gets my main gaming time even though I have disabled the controllers feedback

Away from the fights, it's simply play where you want indeed, or where your friends.

And because I don't have xbox friends, I only play on PS5. I might add Riky Riky on Xbox Live on PC and exchange Phil nudes.

200.gif

On a serious note, multiplats are just fillers to me. I really care about PS 1st party games, they are the main dish.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
VRS so far been a gimmick that ruins the final image. You don't even need to zoom in, pretty obvious.

Also I'm still waiting for your avatar...

There is no VRS, ask them, I did.

pyJQ5nR.jpg

That's Gears 5 with Tier 2 VRS on one side and not on the other, you can't see it at all.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Back to the real issues. Finally moved the shelf for ps5. Cable management maybe later next week :p
Had to remove most of my coke bottles collection to make room for 360 (not connected) but I think I prefer to see those games, rather than bottles... lol
At the same time, it would be much tidier if I got rid of 360 and most of the bottles... maybe it's time to move on
KWJLunm.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still pretty convinced that there's something wrong with the VRS implementation on XSX/S in most of the games released so far.

Dunno if it's a driver issue, API issue or developer implementation issue, but VRS conceptually (particularly Tier 2) should be pretty invisible if you're using it correctly.

Like that Dirt 5 example, it's entirely antithetical to the original purpose of VRS. You're VRS Tier 2 implementation should not reduce shading rate on well lit, moderate contrast, detailed textured surfaces. It's supposed to be applied to large areas of the screen pixel grid with very low contrast and high color uniformity, e.g. areas in shadow and clear blue skies. So either, the Dirt 5 devs aren't using VRS Tier 2, they aren't using it properly or some limitation in the XSX hardware (unlikely) or software (more likely) isn't yet giving devs the level of programmatic control in terms of how and where they can apply VRS in screen space.

It just seems bizarre to me. What VRS is supposed to do, just simply isn't what we're seeing it do in many of the games employing the technique thus far. AFAIK, Gears seems to be the only good example where it seems to be used properly.

I'm still pretty convinced that there's something wrong with the VRS implementation on XSX/S in most of the games released so far.

Dunno if it's a driver issue, API issue or developer implementation issue, but VRS conceptually (particularly Tier 2) should be pretty invisible if you're using it correctly.

Like that Dirt 5 example, it's entirely antithetical to the original purpose of VRS. You're VRS Tier 2 implementation should not reduce shading rate on well lit, moderate contrast, detailed textured surfaces. It's supposed to be applied to large areas of the screen pixel grid with very low contrast and high color uniformity, e.g. areas in shadow and clear blue skies. So either, the Dirt 5 devs aren't using VRS Tier 2, they aren't using it properly or some limitation in the XSX hardware (unlikely) or software (more likely) isn't yet giving devs the level of programmatic control in terms of how and where they can apply VRS in screen space.

It just seems bizarre to me. What VRS is supposed to do, just simply isn't what we're seeing it do in many of the games employing the technique thus far. AFAIK, Gears seems to be the only good example where it seems to be used properly.
And like clockwork, I got a Riky Riky "lol".... Thank you bro. I wear it like a badge of honor.

It's pretty ironic too, as I really threw you and Xbox a bone with this one. No casual snipes or negativity towards Xbox or Spencer at all. You must just have "auto-lol" enabled for my posts.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Shouldn't be too hard for you to find that tweet Riky Riky where the devs told you no VRS on XSX.

Also, don't tempt Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem with a challenge like that. The man will find something wrong in those images, count on that <3

I mean, it's not that sharp to begin with. The guy probably doesn't know that next gen looks like this: (Demon's Souls)

vlcsnap-2020-10-29-19h26m14s761.png

Now if you used VRS it'll be pretty obvious here, but that screenshot he shared it's already blurry in the far distance, last gen standards.

Hey guys!!

Long time no chat. Life comes at you fast when you get your first home. It was a whirlwind and we're still getting settled. I promised long ago that I wouldn't allow my father's passion for audio to die with him(since he used to take my game soundtracks) and would retrieve them and restore them to life with my PS5.

Still a LOT of work to do in the area(hence why it looks rough), but I made good on my promise, so here's a picture of them and a video of getting them running on his equipment.

The volume is only at 25% in the video, which is enough to send it through the entire home. At nearly 75%, you can hear it at the shed across the yard. The music you hear is from Division 2.

k8FvO1f.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Hey guys!!

Long time no chat. Life comes at you fast when you get your first home. It was a whirlwind and we're still getting settled. I promised long ago that I wouldn't allow my father's passion for audio to die with him(since he used to take my game soundtracks) and would retrieve them and restore them to life with my PS5.

Still a LOT of work to do in the area(hence why it looks rough), but I made good on my promise, so here's a picture of them and a video of getting them running on his equipment.

The volume is only at 25% in the video, which is enough to send it through the entire home. At nearly 75%, you can hear it at the shed across the yard. The music you hear is from Division 2.

k8FvO1f.jpg

Great to hear from you again, mate. Keep us updated ;)

onesvenus

BluePoint devs also had to tell you that there was not RT in Demon's Souls although you had been claiming it for months.
I suppose we shouldn't believe anything you say regarding graphics either, should we?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
BluePoint devs also had to tell you that there was not RT in Demon's Souls although you had been claiming it for months.
I suppose we shouldn't believe anything you say regarding graphics either, should we?

Yes, I'm learning. Never knew the difference between RT shadows and dynamic shadows?

I'm just a casual guy btw. Not sure if you got confused by my avatar. But you should always question the thoughts/ideas anyway.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

There is no VRS, ask them, I did.

pyJQ5nR.jpg

That's Gears 5 with Tier 2 VRS on one side and not on the other, you can't see it at all.
This looks kinda blurry/soft compared to other shots I have seen from this game, what is causing it, the CA or something?

Demon’s Souls from Japan Studio and Bluepoint Games

From Japan Studio and Bluepoint Games comes a remake of the PlayStation classic, Demon’s Souls. In addition to beautiful shadow effects*, players can choose between two graphics modes while playing: one focused on fidelity, and one focused on frame rate.

*This entry has been updated

This originally said it had ray-tracing. My memory is dog shit so I could be wrong but I think DF said there was ray tracing on the helmet or something? And yeah it didn't.
And this

Last edited:

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Ghost of Tsushima Sequel confirmed by Sucker Punch’s Cinematic Creative Director

Dave Molloy, the Cinematic Creative Director at Sucker Punch has basically confirmed that Sucker Punch is currently working on a new Ghost of Tsushima game for the PlayStation 5 on his Linkedin. His bio states, “Presently working on the Ghost of Tsushima game for Sony PS5.”

👀

onesvenus

This looks kinda blurry/soft compared to other shots I have seen from this game, what is causing it, the CA or something?

Demon’s Souls from Japan Studio and Bluepoint Games

From Japan Studio and Bluepoint Games comes a remake of the PlayStation classic, Demon’s Souls. In addition to beautiful shadow effects*, players can choose between two graphics modes while playing: one focused on fidelity, and one focused on frame rate.

*This entry has been updated

This originally said it had ray-tracing. My memory is dog shit so I could be wrong but I think DF said there was ray tracing on the helmet or something? And yeah it didn't.
And this
I know what the original blog post claimed, but when they corrected it and some posters explained how real time lighting does not need RT, some Sony fans were still going on about how great the graphics were in DS due to RT.

There are only a handful of posters with computer graphics knowledge in this forum but there are a lot of people who claim and spread a lot of false information. Even worse, when you try to give them information they keep spreading FUD. I'd love for people to not talk about technical things in absolute terms when they know they don't know about that topic at all

raul3d

Because it is a 1080p image. Good luck finding 2x2 VRS artefacts in an image downscaled from 2160p to 1080p with a 2x2 factor, basically merging the VRS artefacts to unique pixels again. Which was probably the reason for this particular picture to be posted. Yet the right side looks kinda odd..

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Even after the patch PS5's version is vastly superior visually, at least:

dirt5xsxps5.png

People really still talking about Dirt 5? That game was a disaster and should never have been released in that state.

it wasn't great on the PS5, and was unfinished on XsX. GT sport running BC on the PS5 or Forza Horizon on the XsX piss all over. It ain't even close.

Let it go, using this game as proof of anything is ridiculous..

PaintTinJr

I think that's a bit unfair - unless the person in question continues to refute a fact when getting the info first hand, rather than third hand, it is just getting info verified IMO.

Richard actually implied in his line of questioning that Cerny was lying - in his Road to PS5 talk- in the post interview he gave DF, and even now they still claim surprise at the PS5 performance - so clearly refuse to understand or accept info direct from a first hand source that isn't a sales person or marketing person or manager, but a technical industry luminary.

And we all find ourselves on the wrong side of something in a discussion on the internet, don't we? Surely as long as people accept the facts when the dust settles - after people are no longer entrenched in a discussion - it is all fine, no? Arguing IMHO is a fantastic way to learn quickly and clears up any misinformation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom