• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Sony Launches “PlayStation 5 Launch Collection Merchandise Bundle;” Includes Water Bottle, Hat & More

yfTx0AM.jpg

PlayStation 5 Launch Collection Merchandise Bundle Contents:​

• Merchandise approved by PlayStation for high quality Standards and Child Safety
  • Dad hat polyester-wool blend with embossed adjustable clasp
  • 17 oz. Stainless steel water bottle double wall insulation, keeps drinks hot/cold for hours, wide-mouth and leak-proof, bpa Free
  • Knit socks – high quality polyester-spandex blend, One size fits most
  • Tech Decals — Premium 3M Material, Scratch and water Resistant, Leaves No Residue

Number one best seller on Amazon under “Video Games”, “New Releases”.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm starting tsushima now for the first time on PS5.

You guys think I should start this game now, or is it reasonable to think there will be a proper PS5 version. Whatever "proper" means.
If it was gonna get a PS5 upgrade, it wouldve gotten one by now. I think TLOU2 not receiving a 60 fps patch tells me ND are doing more than just a framerate increase, but the fact that Sucker Punch launched an online mode and a ps5 BC patch without upgrading the graphics tells me this is all we are going to get.

I would've loved to have seen the pre-downgraded foliage and lighting from the e3 demo, but alas stuff like that requires a lot of work and sony aint paying for that shit. those cheap bastards still havent patched bloodborne, driveclub, gow or uncharted.

ND will charge a full $60 for their remaster by packaging it with the new factions mode. Jim is such a cunt he will probably charge $70 for it.

Lmao

I think there was some online listings from a retailer for Last of us 2 next-gen upgrade, and there was also some for Uncharted 4. Dam I would love to play UC4 at 60 FPS with a much higher resolution, a very gorgeous game.
Starting to get annoyed by the lack of leaks or announcements with regard to NDs plans. I don’t care how they price or package it, I just want PS5 updates for their games this year. COVID obviously didn’t help, but come on.

kyliethicc

Lmao

I think there was some online listings from a retailer for Last of us 2 next-gen upgrade, and there was also some for Uncharted 4. Dam I would love to play UC4 at 60 FPS with a much higher resolution, a very gorgeous game.
I highly doubt Uncharted 4 or LL will ever get patched.

I do expect at least a 60 FPS upgrade for The Last of Us Part 2 along with the multiplayer this year. Maybe it'll be a patch, or who knows.. maybe it'll be a full blown PS5 version.

Starting to get annoyed by the lack of leaks or announcements with regard to NDs plans. I don’t care how they price or package it, I just want PS5 updates for their games this year. COVID obviously didn’t help, but come on.
I suspect Naughty Dog don't really want anymore leaks.

It already did leak lol. Also, Druckmann has recently said its coming. It'll probably be around the 1 year anniversary of the game. So maybe June launch? Lost Legacy was August 2017 after Uncharted 4 was May 2016. So I'd assume Factions will be aiming for summer 2021.

Last year, we saw leaked multiplayer builds from 2018. It's exactly what we'd expect. 4v4 TLOU2 PvP factions gameplay. Super early build, characters & HUD etc.

MTyWx8y.jpg

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Took some comparison shots of the Performance RT mode and the Fidelity mode in Miles. As you can see the crowd takes a big hit. Still not too bad, but it was really impressive to see dozens if not hundreds of NPCs packing a street block at once. Cyberpunk feels so empty in comparison.

EsoI5tdXAAISvOz

EsoI0BFXUAU_ccO
I would like to play RT mode at 60 FPS, but the crowd density downgrade and the hit in reflections quality (still RT based) as well as general IQ downgrades (shadows are considerably more flickery for starters) are IMHO still enough for me to stick with the 30 FPS RT Fidelity mode. Despite 60 FPS being buttery smooth.

I think, between these two RT modes, crowd density is the biggest by far: open worlds without any clear in game justification that are supposedly set in something like NYC but features little to no traffic and barren streets without many pedestrians (GTA V on PS4 was a real disappointment in this regard IMHO) are a big turn off.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If it was gonna get a PS5 upgrade, it wouldve gotten one by now. I think TLOU2 not receiving a 60 fps patch tells me ND are doing more than just a framerate increase, but the fact that Sucker Punch launched an online mode and a ps5 BC patch without upgrading the graphics tells me this is all we are going to get.

I would've loved to have seen the pre-downgraded foliage and lighting from the e3 demo, but alas stuff like that requires a lot of work and sony aint paying for that shit. those cheap bastards still havent patched bloodborne, driveclub, gow or uncharted.

ND will charge a full $60 for their remaster by packaging it with the new factions mode. Jim is such a cunt he will probably charge $70 for it.

Well, GoT runs native 4K in High Resolution mode (same as PS4 Pro), but now it is 60 FPS too in the same mode... that is a graphical upgrade (and the game is gorgeous at full 4K@60 FPS).

Zathalus

Whats this tier stuff you people are ratling about? is it like Goku, and VRS tier 1 is like Goku Super Saiyan 1? So you guys are trying to tell me the series X is about to break ahead and reach Supper Saiyan 2? oh man! that really cool! Any word on when it will go Ultra Instinct on those PS5 fools?
It refers to how accurate you can apply VRS to a scene, the following article explains it nicely:

Basically, Tier 1 VRS has a larger visual impact, while Tier 2 VRS has very little impact on visual quality, while giving the same performance benefits. Frankly Tier 1 VRS was not great, while Tier 2 is actually pretty good.

It is not a "secret sauce" or anything like that, all Turing/Ampere Nvidia cards have it as well as RDNA 2 cards.

The following image demonstrates the image quality impact it has:

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxt...html?uid=4c7efa4a-193b-11ea-b9b8-0edaf8f81e27

Basically only noticeable at 200% zoom, but regular gameplay (especially in motion) it's basically impossible to see.

As far as I know, the only game to confirmed using it on the Xbox Series consoles is Gears 5. Even Hitman 3 does not have it implemented yet (only tier 1 on the PC side, for Intel integrated GPUs).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It refers to how accurate you can apply VRS to a scene, the following article explains it nicely:

Basically, Tier 1 VRS has a larger visual impact, while Tier 2 VRS has very little impact on visual quality, while giving the same performance benefits. Frankly Tier 1 VRS was not great, while Tier 2 is actually pretty good.

It is not a "secret sauce" or anything like that, all Turing/Ampere Nvidia cards have it as well as RDNA 2 cards.

The following image demonstrates the image quality impact it has:

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxt...html?uid=4c7efa4a-193b-11ea-b9b8-0edaf8f81e27

Basically only noticeable at 200% zoom, but regular gameplay (especially in motion) it's basically impossible to see.

As far as I know, the only game to confirmed using it on the Xbox Series consoles is Gears 5. Even Hitman 3 does not have it implemented yet (only tier 1 on the PC side, for Intel integrated GPUs).
Dirt 5 XSX
uvCVVQF.jpg

Vs PS5
SDvCaKX.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Dirt 5 XSX
uvCVVQF.jpg

Vs PS5
SDvCaKX.jpg

VRS would've been great last gen, current gen is all about extremely sharp draw distance, this screenshot (from a video) shows how it's sharp as fuck in the far distance, VRS would've muddied that.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h19m41s543.png

Also with new data streaming tech from both UE5 and Sony Atom View you don't need that shit because you're already dealing with a fixed frame polygon budget. And this is from a 1440p source and it's sharper and more realistic than anything else and running in real-time on PS5. So thanks, we don't need a regressive feature like VRS, you lose so many fine details.

Unreal_Engine_5_18.jpg

Last edited:
I expect we’ll be getting a big state of play or other show before the end of Feb.

March is a huge month for PlayStation with both Returnal and Kena landing and historically March has been the month for big firmware updates.

Hopefully they’ll also provide updates on GoW, Ratchet and Horizon too, among others.
I would not be surprised if at least one of those games get delayed.

onesvenus

Dirt 5 XSX
uvCVVQF.jpg

Vs PS5
SDvCaKX.jpg
Come on, you are better than that.
Does an implementation of a technique showing bad results mean the technique is not useful at all?
In addition to that, Dirt was using Tier 1, wasn't it?
Tier 2 in Gears 5 is unnoticeable.

From a technical standpoint it can bring a lot of performance improvement without sacrificing quality at all.
VRS would've been great last gen, current gen is all about extremely sharp draw distance, this screenshot (from a video) shows how it's sharp as fuck in the far distance, VRS would've muddied that.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h19m41s543.png

Also with new data streaming tech from both UE5 and Sony Atom View you don't need that shit because you're already dealing with a fixed frame polygon budget. And this is from a 1440p source and it's sharper and more realistic than anything else and running in real-time on PS5. So thanks, we don't need a regressive feature like VRS, you lose so much fine details.

Unreal_Engine_5_18.jpg
That's not true at all. Take your R&C or UE5 image and think about this question: Does it make sense to compute the same expensive shading, whatever it might be, on surfaces that are near the user, thus being rendered in a lot of pixels, versus computing them on surfaces really far which would, at most, render them at one pixel?
The answer is no and that's what VRS is trying to address. With a good implementation it should be indistinguishable.

This is the same discussion as with LODs. Even if we could render all the meshes at the highest resolution all the time, does it make sense to render a 1 million tris statue, for example, in a single pixel far away? No, it doesn't. You are wasting performance.

In fact UE5, Sony Atom and all those virtualized geometry solutions use something similar to VRS (without being the exact same thing because one works with geometry and the other with the shading): they increase/reduce the sampling of the geometry depending on how near/far that geometry is from the camera.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Does an implementation of a technique showing bad results mean the technique is not useful at all?
In addition to that, Dirt was using Tier 1, wasn't it?
Tier 2 in Gears 5 is unnoticeable.

From a technical standpoint it can bring a lot of performance improvement without sacrificing quality at all.

That's not true at all. Take your R&C or UE5 image and think about this question: Does it make sense to compute the same expensive shading, whatever it might be, on surfaces that are near the user, thus being rendered in a lot of pixels, versus computing them on surfaces really far which would, at most, render them at one pixel?
The answer is no and that's what VRS is trying to address. With a good implementation it should be indistinguishable.

This is the same discussion as with LODs. Even if we could render all the meshes at the highest resolution all the time, does it make sense to render a 1 million tris statue, for example, in a single pixel far away? No, it doesn't. You are wasting performance.

In fact UE5, Sony Atom and all those virtualized geometry solutions use something similar to VRS (without being the exact same thing because one works with geometry and the other with the shading): they increase/reduce the sampling of the geometry depending on how near/far that geometry is from the camera.

But it was 20 million polygons per frame, which is already overwhelming for 8.29 million pixels (4K) let alone 1440p (4.2 million pixels). With current 7-5 LOD system VRS should be fine if it's impossible to see, but it's not so far.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Did I say anything about quality? I said VRS is in use on XSX because people were saying it was not in use at all. I am not sure it is tier 1 or 2, I do think they would be using 2 to get this localised results at 120 Hz where you want to minimise draw calls.

onesvenus

But it was 20 million polygons per frame, which is already overwhelming for 8.29 million pixels (4K) let alone 1440p (4.2 million pixels). With current 7-5 LOD system VRS should be fine if it's impossible to see, but it's not so far.

Well yeah, there's some things that you can do with micropolygons that you are not able without. It makes sense to have some leverage (2 or 3 tris per pixel) but not 10 million.
And regarding VRS, can you see the difference in this Gears 5 image? Because I really can't

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well yeah, there's some things that you can do with micropolygons that you are not able without. It makes sense to have some leverage (2 or 3 tris per pixel) but not 10 million.
And regarding VRS, can you see the difference in this Gears 5 image? Because I really can't

Problem with it is that it's already not sharp enough either way. But it would be interesting if applied to something sharp enough like these:

vlcsnap-2020-11-10-22h00m02s433.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-16h46m04s468.png

If VRS is working sub-pixel then there is a problem with your LOD management to begin with. That Gears 5 lacks fine details in both and screams last gen. It's not a good example just like throwing Ghost of Tsushima here.

ghost-of-tsushima-ps5-playstation-5-backwards-compatibility.original.jpg

Last edited:
Problem with it is that it's already not sharp enough either way. But it would be interesting if applied to something sharp enough like these:

vlcsnap-2020-11-10-22h00m02s433.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-16h46m04s468.png

If VRS is working sub-pixel then there is a problem with your LOD management to begin with. That Gears 5 lacks fine details in both and screams last gen. It's not a good example just like throwing Ghost of Tsushima here.

ghost-of-tsushima-ps5-playstation-5-backwards-compatibility.original.jpg
Btw you guys do know you can have software based VRS, Call of Duty have been doing it for a while and it's incredibly successful in performance saving.

We lack the finer details of if or how PS5 handles VRS, but software solutions can be used as well just as long as they can beat the fixed function hardware or if no hardware acceleration is available at all.

ethomaz

Banned
I think the idea that the xbox series s will be a big seller because of price alone won't come true. It's now been 3 days that you can order a series s on best buy Canada for feb 1 shipping and it hasn't sold out.
Series is S is a bad deal compared with Series X... price can’t change that.

Actually a Series X at $399 should have make a lot more sense.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Btw you guys do know you can have software based VRS, Call of Duty have been doing it for a while and it's incredibly successful in performance saving.

We lack the finer details of if or how PS5 handles VRS, but software solutions can be used as well just as long as they can beat the fixed function hardware or if no hardware acceleration is available at all.

Or just culling unnecessary polygons with GE early on that should save much more performance according to Matt:

So yes, it's a regressive feature for current gen especially 2022+, not good enough.

onesvenus

Did I say anything about quality? I said VRS is in use on XSX because people were saying it was not in use at all. I am not sure it is tier 1 or 2, I do think they would be using 2 to get this localised results at 120 Hz where you want to minimise draw calls.
Come on, you answered a poster that pasted the VRS description and was saying that it should be barely noticeable with the worst screens of Dirt 5, a game which we know is only using Tier 1 VRS.

Or just culling unnecessary polygons with GE early on that should save much more performance according to Matt:

So yes, it's a regressive feature for current gen especially 2022+, not good enough.

Primitive Shaders will play a significant role in this, they more efficiently utilise the GPU's power and will allow for more flexibility and control over things like culling, I remember Mark Cerny even stated that this was one of the more advanced features of the GE. I'm so excited to see to what developers will be able to achieve in the upcoming years.

sinnergy

Primitive Shaders will play a significant role in this, they more efficiently utilise the GPU's power and will allow for more flexibility and control over things like culling, I remember Mark Cerny even stated that this was one of the more advanced features of the GE. I'm so excited to see to what developers will be able to achieve in the upcoming years.
But is one better than the other 🧐

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Then maybe we should wait to see the impact it has in next-gen games instead of claiming it's bad, shouldn't we?

It's not needed when you have a frame polygon budget, if UE5 managed 20M polygons/frame for 4.15M pixels upscaled to 8.29M pixels then that were future is. VRS could be used selectively for mobile assets on UE5 that can't utilize Nanite though. Still too early and we should wait if it'll be any good later.

SSfox

Sony Launches “PlayStation 5 Launch Collection Merchandise Bundle;” Includes Water Bottle, Hat & More

yfTx0AM.jpg

• Merchandise approved by PlayStation for high quality Standards and Child Safety
  • 17 oz. Stainless steel water bottle double wall insulation, keeps drinks hot/cold for hours, wide-mouth and leak-proof, bpa Free
  • Tech Decals — Premium 3M Material, Scratch and water Resistant, Leaves No Residue

Not into this stuff but gotta admit the hat looks nice.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

yfTx0AM.jpg

Sony showing the decals on iPhone instead of Xperia.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Come on, you answered a poster that pasted the VRS description and was saying that it should be barely noticeable with the worst screens of Dirt 5, a game which we know is only using Tier 1 VRS.
Look, next time I will add more text, but you can add your own subtext as you seem unable to accept anything I am saying now. I posted what I posted (which is incredibly zoomed) just to show it was using VRS on XSX too as a lot of posters questioned it being used in that game.

Do we know it is using VRS Tier 1 for sure btw?

onesvenus

It's not needed when you have a frame polygon budget, if UE5 managed 20M polygons/frame for 4.15M pixels upscaled to 8.29M pixels then that were future is. VRS could be used selectively for mobile assets on UE5 that can't utilize Nanite though. Still too early and we should wait if it'll be any good later.
Of course it's needed. Are all the games using UE5? Do all the engines need to work with virtualized geometry from now on?

I don't know why Sony fans are so eager to buy things like the Tempest engine but to criticise everything Microsoft does. VRS, when correctly implemented will not be noticeable and we will gain performance with that. It's not bad at all.

What are you referring to?
I'm going to assume your referring to Primitive/Mesh Shaders vs VRS, I don't think it's a fair comparison since both are just fundamentally different. Primitive/Mesh Shaders offer a much more efficient and programmable graphics pipeline to developers, this allows them to push higher fidelity graphics much more efficiently, things like tessellation (sub-dividing polygon/triangles) and culling (eliminating off-screen geometry/vertices) become significantly more programmable and easy.

A number of other benefits as well as Mark Cerny stated in the Road to PS5 talk:

"Using primitive shaders on Playstation 5 will allow for a broad variety of techniques including smoothly varying level of detail addition of procedural detail to close up objects and improvements to particle effects and other visual special effects."

I think it's fair to say they're more important than VRS, but I'm not trying to bash VRS. I think it's great for performance saving and pushing out a few extra FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom