• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
4s0fkGE.jpg

Me every morning...

tenor.gif
I'm not sure I want to be the bottom picture guy :D
How do you play games like that? lol

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
IIRC, Cerny made some big changes to the ACEs. Xbox and other GCN GPUs had just 2 ACEs while the PS4 had 8 ACEs allowing devs far more control over asynchronous compute. Whether or not developers used it is unclear but seeing as how good PS exclusives looked compared to most third party games, it's safe to say there was some secret sauce in there somewhere.

Right; which Sony all but admitted was a strategy with PS3. (and TBH, PS4 games are evidence they continued with that)

I would hope that they would now be trying to make their customizations at least more documented, and share tools with external companies earlier. It's clear Sony does that internally across their studios; it's rather obvious if you play their games. I would hope they would be sharing that externally now, more than they did in the PS3 days.

But I do think it's also possible Sony purposefully keeps some things internal so they stand out.

It just doesn't come across like some great philosophy to me.

Honestly something in between Sony and MS's approach would be best. Release easy to use SDKs for everything, including your customizations.. document them well, etc. Then allow underlying "to the metal" access if someone wants to try to outdo your SDK.. and if you internally outdo it.. offer at least documentation on that approach.

Last edited:

fragganaut

Honestly something in between Sony and MS's approach would be best. Release easy to use SDKs for everything, including your customizations.. document them well, etc. Then allow underlying "to the metal" access if someone wants to try to outdo your SDK.. and if you internally outdo it.. offer at least documentation on that approach.

I would interpret "easy to learn and hard to master" exactly like, keep the initial hurdle easy manageable while also provide deep and impactful access to the hardware for the experienced developers

IntentionalPun

I would interpret "easy to learn and hard to master" exactly like, keep the initial hurdle easy manageable while also provide deep and impactful access to the hardware for the experienced developers

Sure; the thing that might be missing though is educating other developers on how to take advantage.

That was definitely, and admittedly missing in the PS3 era from Sony. Is it still missing? Is that attitude still there?

Because literally saying you set out to make something difficult is not a great thing to advertise lol

Last edited:
Yes he said the PS5 has hardware PCs will have trouble keeping up with...

He never said it would be difficult to master.

You said "Both come from Cerny mouth."... the sentence from DF.. is not from Cerny, it's from Richard.. that's not spinning.. and nor is it spinning to point out that nothing in that sentence says it will be hard to master lol
That's nitpicking of the highest order though. I suppose it's not quoting, you're right on that, it's paraphrasing :)

IntentionalPun

That's nitpicking of the highest order though. I suppose it's not quoting, you're right on that, it's paraphrasing :)
He literally said it came from Cerny's mouth lol.... and.. again.. nothing in the DF statement speaks to difficulty.

So:
- Not actually a Cerny quote
- Did not say what he claimed it said

Nitpicking? This forum is fucking insane lol

I mean you guys are actually hyping the idea of something being difficult to master.. meaning we won't see many games using it, or wont' for a long time. I mean.. wut? Something being more advanced that is new/etc. is good... but actually intentionally difficult? Nah.. you sound like clowns to me.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that?

PS4
"The hardware is an enabler. We are very intentionally trying to make the hardware easy to learn and difficult to master."

PS5
"Cerny shared little, except to say that PS5 design is easy for PlayStation 4 developers to get to grips with, but digging deeper into the new system's capabilities, there are many aspects of the PS5 design that PCs will be hard-pressed to match"

Both come from Cerny mouth.
there ya go buddy, use this one next time so IntentionalPun IntentionalPun will get off your ass :D

difficult to master

He literally said it came from Cerny's mouth lol.... and.. again.. nothing in the DF statement speaks to difficulty.

So:
- Not actually a Cerny quote
- Did not say what he claimed it said

Nitpicking? This forum is fucking insane lol

I mean you guys are actually hyping the idea of something being difficult to master.. meaning we won't see many games using it, or wont' for a long time. I mean.. wut? Something being more advanced that is new/etc. is good... but actually intentionally difficult? Nah.. you sound like clowns to me.
check my previous post, thx :)

IntentionalPun

check my previous post, thx :)
He said that about PS4.. I already found that link by googling it. It's a quote from the same deleted interview I couldn't find good quotes from. That wasn't really what was being contested here.

Again.. he never said that about PS5, and the sentence that wasn't a quote written by Richard at DF didn't say anything about difficulty lol (nor has he ever claimed that's his "philosophy")

You guys just keep ignoring that part. DF is just reviewing the Road to the PS5 talk anyways.. where yes, he describes features that won't necessarily be used at first. He never once claims they are actually difficult to master. Maybe they are, and maybe that's INTENTIONAL.. if it's intentional, that isn't a good thing lol

And ethomaz responded to me, not the other way around... what's with the dick riding here?

Last edited:
He said that about PS4.. I already found that link by googling it. It's a quote from the same deleted interview I couldn't find good quotes from. That wasn't really what was being contested here.

Again.. he never said that about PS5, and the sentence that wasn't a quote written by Richard at DF didn't say anything about difficulty lol

You guys just keep ignoring that part. DF is just reviewing the Road to the PS5 talk anyways.. where yes, he describes features that won't necessarily be used at first. He never once claims they are actually difficult to master. Maybe they are, and maybe that's INTENTIONAL.. if it's intentional, that isn't a good thing lol
I can back quote your comment about Cerny "never" having said anything about being difficult to master. Took me about 5 seconds and years of google fu to disprove that.
Literally just did that because of how aggressive you were being on what's really a nitpick. It's about Cerny's philosophy and approach to designing a platform. So it would apply to the PS4, PS5 and PS Vita for that matter.

Is it ok now? Feels like we can all be happy and move past this one :)

IntentionalPun

I can back quote your comment about Cerny "never" having said anything about being difficult to master. Took me about 5 seconds and years of google fu to disprove that.

I didn't say that though.. I said I couldn't find him saying that.. and thanked ethomaz for finding the quote. The actual interview that comes from is long-ago deleted.

It's about Cerny's philosophy

LOL.. yes his "philosophy" is to intentionally make things difficult. Good stuff.

He's definitely never described it as his philosophy.. it's one thing he said once about PS4 in an interview.

Last edited:
I didn't say that though.. I said I couldn't find him saying that.. and thanked ethomaz for finding the quote.

LOL.. yes his "philosophy" is to intentionally make things difficult. Good stuff.

He's definitely never described it as his philosophy.. it's one thing he said once about PS4 in an interview.
Well I'm not Mark Cerny, but I do think I get the sense. I interpret it in the way that creates accessibility for those that want something quick and simple, it's there. But for those that like to dig deeper and find untapped potential, it's there too. Maybe it's about layers of abstraction. You can have a game engine that is really easy to use, but has very little in terms of customization options. Means you probably can get a basic game done rather quickly, but probably your game will "feel" like most other games in that engine. If the game engine has a lot of customization options, that makes it harder to master, but when you invest the time, you'll have created a piece of work that few people thought possible.

Might be why we have games like GoT and TLoU 2 in hardware that is on paper so underpowered running laps around most modern games built for powerful PCs.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The colors also have people confused. Green (easy) --> Red (hard).
Which is accumulation though.
His words are confusing people lol

Check out the video I linked above. He's clearly talking about rays per second.

The chart colors might be counting accumulative cost, but he's used the colors in other places during the presentation to show that not all graphics engines consume power the same way.

Also the fact that the next gen versions of Metro are using RTGI but not reflections on consoles could also point to GI being cheaper to implement on consoles. TBH, This is a good thing. i'd rather have RT GI than RT reflections.

His words are confusing people lol

Check out the video I linked above. He's clearly talking about rays per second.

The chart colors might be counting accumulative cost, but he's used the colors in other places during the presentation to show that not all graphics engines consume power the same way.

Also the fact that the next gen versions of Metro are using RTGI but not reflections on consoles could also point to GI being cheaper to implement on consoles. TBH, This is a good thing. i'd rather have RT GI than RT reflections.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't think the order is unintentional. While showing that slide on the road to PS5 presentation, Cerny refers to the number of rays/second needed and they clearly scale up with each of those features.
Well, there is no way reflections in isolation are more taxing than GI or Shadows according to people on here, across the interweb, and even DF, right?

I think the reason we are seeing reflections out of the gate more often versus the other two methods, is that it's easier to implement than rewriting their GI / lighting engines at the moment.

So if true on the taxation level, that's a good thing for gamers from these consoles to PCs for eye candy, and does that mean all those RT experts on analysis sites need to rewrite their thinking? Time will tell.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I think people got confused by the unintentional order of this graph:

ETaGfjWWkAA-RyL.jpg
Actually that is the order of light to heavy... even the colors are meant to say that.
He even implied that talking about this slide.

Or you will try to day Metro devs choosing to remove advanced RT reflections instead RT Global Illumination on Series X and PS5 was unintentional too?

Last edited:

LucidFlux

So the day of the die shot has finally come!

Looks like the unified L3 CPU cache was squashed (not terribly surprising), Geometry engine looks rather large right in the middle of the CUs, and the I/O complex is also taking up a nice chunk of silicone as expected. Curious to see if someone is able to identify all the components in that area. Interested to see how much SDRAM was added and overall how much relative space was spent on I/O.

Not too many surprises tbh except does the CPU actually have a total of 16MB of L3 cache? That's 2x more than what was expected is it not? Looking at the XsX diagram it only seems to have 8MB L3 between all 8 CPU cores.

Not too many surprises tbh except does the CPU actually have a total of 16MB of L3 cache?

What makes you say that? I'm very curious to know how you saw that.

Edit: Ok I think I see it as well.

EuNU-3oXMAIiJ6a

Xbox_Series_X_slide-2.jpg
If this is correct each CCX has 8MB of L3 Cache. Since there's two that makes 16GB of L3 Cache.

Very interesting if true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom