• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmunter

Never forget this brilliant essay by Digital Dick Leadbetter Foundry.

John during the Outriders video categorically stated framerate > resolution.

Cannot fault them for detect the base resolution when possible. But also think they need to put more emphasis on the final quality of the reconstruction. Really, the final result is all that matters to the person playing the game.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Don't mean to sound like a douche, but are we supposed to know who this is?
Writer of star wars squadron and battlefront. Definitely in for some Oscar level stuff.
He wrote Spec Ops The Line, a game story that many liked. But I had no idea who he was, just read his profile bio.

Its pointless news, a writer joined Insomniac... ok cool I guess.

John during the Outriders video categorically stated framerate > resolution.

Cannot fault them for detect the base resolution when possible. But also think they need to put more emphasis on the final quality of the reconstruction. Really, the final result is all that matters to the person playing the game.
Richard wrote that article in 2015 saying "who cares about 900p vs 1080p" because he didn't like survey data showing some users chose PS4 over XOne due to it running games at higher res. The irony is that as soon as XOneX came out, he quickly became a massive fan of higher resolutions.

DF longterm are eventually becoming pointless. They even had to have Epic tell them was res UE5 demo was. Resolution and frame rates are becoming irrelevant as pretty much every PS5 / XSX game will be around 1440-1800p with a 60 FPS mode. Most console buyers can't tell with their eyes. Only useful bit of info to check when a game ships is if it runs like shit or not.

Last edited:

Rea

I agree...

If these games are not exclusive, they need to get rid of Phil asap.

Why would they spend that much money for non-exclusive games, that is beyond foolish.

Making these games exclusive with the addition of game pass would set them up nicely and change the narrative around Xbox. But if these games are not exclusive what was the point of buying those studios in the first place?

If they go the non-exclusive route, my only guess is they will use these studios to build new out new exclusive IP
There's a point, buying Bethesda makes automatically all their IPs and future games become Day one on Gamepass. Also By selling full price on other platforms earns Microsoft extra money. There's only profit for making games multi platform, and Bethesda has resources and man power for that. It only make sense business wise.

mitchman

Gold Member
He wrote Spec Ops The Line, a game story that many liked. But I had no idea who he was, just read his profile bio.

Its pointless news, a writer joined Insomniac... ok cool I guess.

Richard wrote that article in 2015 saying "who cares about 900p vs 1080p" because he didn't like survey data showing some users chose PS4 over XOne due to it running games at higher res. The irony is that as soon as XOneX came out, he quickly became a massive fan of higher resolutions.

DF longterm are eventually becoming pointless. They even had to have Epic tell them was res UE5 demo was. Resolution and frame rates are becoming irrelevant as pretty much every PS5 / XSX game will be around 1440-1800p with a 60 FPS mode. Most console buyers can't tell with their eyes. Only useful bit of info to check when a game ships is if it runs like shit or not.
Pretty sure they care about resolution in large part because their target audience cares about it. They should obviously downplay that and instead focus more on picture quality and framerate stability.

demigod

Well PS5 is at 5.6 million sold through 15 weeks according to. VG Chartz. Which is terrible considering where they could be but during the chip shortages ehh. Some automakers have stopped assembly lines over it.

XBOX series at 3.7
First to 10mil wins!

kyliethicc

PS5 Slim revision speculation

Fall 2023 launch
  • same 2 SKUs - PS5 / PS5 DE
  • mostly same specs, larger 1.65 TB SSD
  • SoC now on TSMC 5 nm, ~ 215 mm^2
  • lower power draw, smaller PSU ~ 275 W
  • smaller size, bit shorter & thinner
  • simpler design more like a PS4 (to lower cost)
  • same white & black design
  • matte finish, no glossy plastic
  • no separate base, just simple rubber feet like PS4
  • no removable external plates
  • simpler slide out tray for M.2 SSD (maybe)
Pricing
$500 - PS5 1.65 TB
$400 - PS5 DE 1.65 TB

I don't know how likely it is for Sony to be able to lower the cost of the PS5s by $100 by 2023. Or if they will want to. The PS4 Pro allowed Sony to drop PS4 Slim to the $300 price because the Pro filled the $400 spot for 4 years. I don't think there will be a PS5 Pro for $500 in 2023-24, so Sony will instead just go with 1.65 TB for both Slims to sell at $500/$400 still. Sony might not want to ever offer any PS5 for below $400.

or they'll just do this

UQHyjTh.jpg

Last edited:

Shmunter

The size for the game including day one patch, gonna be around 30GB give or take. That's insane for the new game. The power of "Kraken+Oodles"?
27gig for a next gen game with higher quality assets than last gen is worthy of an eyebrow raise. It is unlikely for a Day one patch to exceed that size for the same reasons. Guessing < 10gig while reclaiming some of the original due to overwrite. Game will be mid 30’s.

Pure speculation, if not without merit.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
We did end up with a pretty wild design tho lol

Was a bit strange to put so much effort into engineering that weird V shape for a dev kit.
Well, people were saying that these kits were really loud and also very hot back in the day, weren't they? I'm assuming that the cooling system wasn't there so the split design had something to do with airflow and perhaps extra fans as well? Had to be some reason for it because you're right...much more economical to put a dev kit in a plan old box. Cut down on people's speculation about designs as well. Unless...their intent was to redirect on what the design looked like? Seems a bit pointless to me, but what do I know!?

I cant play with KBM. I can never find the Reload keys. Shift and CTRL are even harder to find.

Worst of all, i hate using the mouse to aim. nothing about KBM makes sense to my console peasant of a mind.
Uff, I've got the exact opposite, if I even try using a controller for FPS, it's the most frustrating experience possible. Going from being in full control to having no control at all.
On the key binds, you could always re-map them to extra buttons on the mouse if it helps getting you used to it. And also if you tried non-inverted controls, you might want to give it a shot at inverted Y axis. That and adjusting the sensitivity to something much lower than you would think. Always remove mouse acceleration too if you ever decide to give it another shot :)

demigod

Well, people were saying that these kits were really loud and also very hot back in the day, weren't they? I'm assuming that the cooling system wasn't there so the split design had something to do with airflow and perhaps extra fans as well? Had to be some reason for it because you're right...much more economical to put a dev kit in a plan old box. Cut down on people's speculation about designs as well. Unless...their intent was to redirect on what the design looked like? Seems a bit pointless to me, but what do I know!?
And this is why he’s not an engineer.

assurdum

Banned
4 consoles have launched under his leadership (Xbox One S, Xbox one X, Series S and Series X) and the console still barely has any solid exclusives or new IP.

Halo Infinite had to be delayed a year at the last minute which is crazy because it has been in development for years. The Series X has been marketed as "the most powerful console" but it has failed at being able to keep up with the performance of multiplatform games compared to PS5.

Game pass has been the only bright spot and even that is being hold back because of a lack of solid exclusive titles. Maybe Phil isn't the main one responsible for this, but whoever it is needs to go.

Making Bethesda games exclusive to Xbox and PC would be a no brainer but if that isn't the case that would be a really bad move like all of the moves MS has made.
I'm really asking if you really read what you try to argue. Wouldn't be absolutely a bad move release Bethesda games on ps5 later from a business perspective; the only who not want this are the Xbox fanboy for the stupid console war exclusive. Let's be honest there.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Damn not sure what system to buy resident evil village for series x or ps5?
I wouldn't be surprised if it will end to run better on series X. I have the suspect this engine is more suited to virtual code environment, doubt could have any advantage in a specific hardware development, that's why I'm little worried about the final perfomance on ps5.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Rea

dcmk7

Banned
I'm detecting a bit of a double standard here. I don't know if every PS gamer has a gaming PC but ones that talk about Xbox games seem to have one so no matter what MS does it doesn't affect those guys. I never said those games never came out on the PS I said that you don't have to buy an Xbox to play Xbox games which is different than what happens on the PS. You also appear to have missed my point that the IP I mentioned made a name for themselves on the PC. The PC will still get those games so for the audience that would care the most, remain unaffected. The only people potentially affected are people who ONLY have a PS and no PC and no Xbox and also no cell phone to stream to either AND REFUSE to use any of those options. That can't be a majority of gamers. You also have to admit that games like ESO/Fallout 76 will continue to get supported, so PS gamers are taken care of there.

MS did not have to honor the deals Zenimax signed before the acquisition but chose to because it made the most business sense. It also shows they are not about 'taking things from PS gamers'. All the titles you mentioned are pretty small games and nothing on the order of a Final Fantasy. Your Yakuza example is pretty funny because that game hit PS4 the SAME DAY it hit Xbox. Everyone knew when it would hit the PS5. Wow MS is so horrible huh. Who was clamoring for The Medium or Bright Memory? Tetris was already on the PS! "Tetris Effect is a tile-matching puzzle video game developed by Japanese studios Monstars and Resonair and published by Enhance Games. The game was released worldwide exclusively for the PlayStation 4 on November 9, 2018, and features support for the PlayStation VR." It was originally a PS exclusive game! This is your evidence MS does the same thing as Sony in this area? We still don't know when or if FF7 R will come to Xbox and just because FF hasn't sold as well on Xbox doesn't mean there aren't fans of the franchise on that platform. There are other FF games on Gamepass now. Sony is the one actively denying games on the Xbox for IP they don't own. MS isn't doing anything close to that.

The fanboys are ones complaining about MS making games on multiple platforms while cheering when Sony makes games for one. MS has built game studios from the ground up and people complained. MS bought established studios and...people complained. MS does a timed exclusive and wait for it...people complained. With your Yakuza example the game just doesn't hit the PS5 the same day and of course people complained. At some point it is not so much about MS taking games from people but people who don't like MS as a company or Xbox as a brand. They would be wrong no matter what they did to those people. That's fine but let's not pretend like Sony isn't the real one denying games from players. I get that it's business but as I've said at least MS isn't forcing anyone to buy a console they might not want. Options are good for gamers.

Mario Lopez Football GIF

At some point it is not so much about MS taking games from people but people who don't like MS as a company or Xbox as a brand.

So you're saying people complaining about the purchase of Bethesda should all be classified as anti-MS?

Still pushing that conspiracy theory then.

That's fine but let's not pretend like Sony isn't the real one denying games from players

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

There's this patent so you can see how the kit was built.

PS5-dev-kit-patent.png

LiquidRex

I wonder if the Sony Square exclusivity deal is the same as the Nintendo Capcom deal during the Gamecube era. 🤔 Resident Evil exclusivity.

SSfox

I wonder if the Sony Square exclusivity deal is the same as the Nintendo Capcom deal during the Gamecube era. 🤔 Resident Evil exclusivity.
RE Nintendo exclusivity was mostly cause Shinji Mikami, Hideki Kamiya, and other lead members team were Nintendo fanboys. Thankfully Capcom end up releasing RE4 on ps2 and since then the franchise became healthy and successful again.

LiquidRex

RE Nintendo exclusivity was mostly cause Shinji Mikami, Hideki Kamiya, and other lead members team were Nintendo fanboys. Thankfully Capcom end up releasing RE4 on ps2 and since then the franchise became healthy and successful again.
From my understanding the deal stipulated a number of guaranteed sales, however the sales where below the deal they struck with Nintendo, so legally they were able to breakaway and release the RE titles on other platforms.

SSfox

From my understanding the deal stipulated a number of guaranteed sales, however the sales where below the deal they struck with Nintendo, so legally they were able to breakaway and release the RE titles on other platforms.
That was the case, but the deal started cause Capcom 5 studio (RE,pn03,okami, God hand) were big Nintendo fans. But of course business is business the games weren't selling too well on gc so Capcom end up to make the wise decision to break the deal.

Remember when people thought the retail console would look like this?

Lol... People are dumb sometimes.
Lmao

I still remember all the concept art that people were making and claiming the actual console would like it, no one was even remotely close.

Good days.

I actually mentioned a few times we'll see a distinct looking V pattern with blue lights on the retail console, this was based on the dev kits as well as the almost V shape blue lights on the controller.

It would but with some caveats and obviously it'd be more attractive to get the Xbox version for multiple reasons
-runs best on Xbox platform
-no extra charge to play the game if you have game pass sub
-probable timed exclusive on Xbox
How are they going to do that? Are they going to gimp the PS5 version like make it run at 720p or at half the framerate? That's not likely. Like you wrote I think the only thing they can do is interesting price (gamepass) and time exclusivity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom