• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Series X has a slightly higher average resolution.
Both versions have perfect 60fps stability.
Shadows with higher resolution on PS5.
Slightly faster loading times on PS5.

Honestly your average gamer isn't going to notice the differences between the two. I definitely wait for the other analysis to decide if the resolution difference is 50% on average or it's almost nothing.

Oh shit, VRR tv’s going to waste

hwQWYDS.gif

SSfox

It’s really hard to understand why Sony keeps insisting on throwing a bunch of money for timed exclusives and collabs.

Invest on Kojipro, their first game being a big budget game, give them the tech and the support. Result? A one game IP and Kojima going straight to Google and then Microsoft to make his next game.

Put a bunch of money on From Software, help them turn into one of the biggest studios in the world. Result? A bit better here, two IPs with future potential, but now they are dancing with MS and Elden Ring’s marketing is exclusive to Xbox. Odds they will do another exclusive with PlayStation? Very low.

Throw a ton of money at Square Enix, which has been going on since the Squaresoft days, get a few timed exclusives because they keep having financial problems. Result? As seen in the past, as soon as they are financially healthy again, thanks Sony, they resume their multiplatform strategy.

Go out there and throw a bunch of money at Bethesda for a couple of times exclusives. Result? Who cares exclusives and then MS comes around and buys the whole op.

Do a deal for Fall Guys, becomes a world wide sensation. Result? Epic buys the dev.

Multiple games with Quantic Dream? Bought by some Chinese company.
Ready at Dawn? Bought by Facebook.

I’m already foreshadowing that Bluepoint will be acquired by some other publisher. Why be stuck in a contract loop with Sony, one bad game that is a financial failure and it’s over.

Jim Ryan can talk all the shit he wants but fact is Sony WWS volume output slowed down last gen. It’s one to two games from their biggest studios, depending on the studio, and I don’t think this is going to get any better unless they compromise on the scale of the projects.

The industry is getting bigger not smaller, and it feels like Sony is waiting for some sort of downturn to invest in a time that is not, according to Jim Ryan, a “sellers market”. Well duh, what did you expect? Yeah keep waiting...

It’s unfortunate that PlayStation keeps being used as a piggy bank for the rest of Sony, and sooner or later that’s going to bite them hard.
Another bad move are the PC ports, like Horizon PC made 50 millions $ so what? that's absolutely nothing compare on what they're gonna lose in the long run, this is like equivalent of 200;000 PS4 sales if not even less. And in the long run they will lose millions of consoles sales because of those PC ports. Look at Xbox sales and look and ps4 and switch sales, no way both the 2 latest consoles would have sold well if Sony and Nintendo were porting their games on PC like MS does since a long time, and the sad thing now is that Sony is following this retardation strat.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Another bad move are the PC ports, like Horizon PC made 50 millions $ so what? that's absolutely nothing compare on what they're gonna lose in the long run, this is like equivalent of 200;000 PS4 sales if not even less. And in the long run they will lose millions of consoles sales because of those PC ports. Look at Xbox sales and look and ps4 and switch sales, no way both the 2 latest consoles would have sold well if Sony and Nintendo were porting their games on PC like MS does since a long time, and the sad thing now is that Sony is following this retardation strat.
What about this scenario.....Horizon comes to PC, pc players play it and then see Horizon 2 exclusive to PS5. But now PS5 is exchanging blows with some pretty sweet pc rigs out there, and Horizon 2 looks amazeballs...which we can expect from Sony track record.

A Pc Player now thinks to himself, hmmm, maybe I should jump in to see how it feels?

Yeah fanciful and only works if releases are very limited. Otherwise you’re spot on.

MHubert

So, on ps4 + 5, you expect Horizon 2 to sell how much less?

Last edited:

SSfox

So you expect Horizon 2 to make how much less?
There is good chance Horizon 2 will sell less on PS5 than Horizon 1 on PS4, many people will now just wait for PC release cause it's pretty much guaranteed that the game will end on PC sooner or later, but most importantly it's PS5 sales that will get affect the most.

But if someone want to play Mario they will still need to buy Nintendo hardware no matter what, because everyone know Mario and Zelda will never be on PC. But now with Sony pretty much each single game have more than 0% chances of coming to PC at this point.

What about this scenario.....Horizon comes to PC, pc players play it and then see Horizon 2 exclusive to PS5. But now PS5 is exchanging blows with some pretty sweet pc rigs out there, and Horizon 2 looks amazeballs...which we can expect from Sony track record.

A Pc Player now thinks to himself, hmmm, maybe I should jump in to see how it feels?

Yeah fanciful and only works if releases are very limited. Otherwise you’re spot on.

That's what a lot of us though at first, also you had clown hermen saying "And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn’t necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don’t have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware."

Now just less than 3 months later they're putting Day's Gone on PC and not only that, but also proudly announce that more playstation games are coming to PC. This is like Phil Spencer / Aaron Greenberg bullshit level at this point, if not worst.

And the prostitution will go on, next step is gonna be one only obvious thing, and that's PS5 exclusive will come to PC as well, at first it will be PS5 time exclusive for 1 year or 6 months, then they will become like MS releasing all exclusive day by day. Hermen and Jimbo are gonna ruin everything that Andrew House, Shawn, Yosp and others have been building since years.

Last edited:

Shmunter

There is good chance Horizon 2 will sell less on PS5 than Horizon 1 on PS4, many people will now just wait for PC release cause it's pretty much guaranteed that the game will end on PC sooner or later, but most importantly it's PS5 sales that will get affect the most.

But if someone want to play Mario they will still need to buy Nintendo hardware no matter what, because everyone know Mario and Zelda will never be on PC. But now with Sony pretty much each single game have more than 0% chances of coming to PC at this point.

That's what a lot of us though at first, also you had clown hermen saying "And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn’t necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don’t have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware."

Now just less than 3 months later they're putting Day's Gone on PC and not only that, but also proudly announce that more playstation games are coming to PC. This is like Phil Spencer / Aaron Greenberg bullshit level at this point, if not worst.

And the prostitution will go on, next step is gonna be one only obvious thing, and that's PS5 exclusive will come to PC as well, at first it will be PS5 time exclusive for 1 year or 6 months, then they will become like MS releasing all exclusive day by day. Hermen and Jimbo are gonna ruin everything that Andrew House, Shawn, Yosp and others have been building since years.
Yeah I can see you’re upset, but it doesn’t have to go down that way as yet. Be a glass half full guy instead of a half empty guy, and chillax for now.

SSfox

Yeah I can see you’re upset, but it doesn’t have to go down that way as yet. Be a glass half full guy instead of a half empty guy, and chillax for now.
I'm disappointed but i'm fine.

Me and everyone else were chill when they announced Horizon on PC, Jimbo concluded we were fine with it. Even tho Slimysnake warned us, i myself made fun of him telling him was being too dramatic and was overthinking it, but he was right for this one.

Last edited:

ToadMan

It’s really hard to understand why Sony keeps insisting on throwing a bunch of money for timed exclusives and collabs.

Invest on Kojipro, their first game being a big budget game, give them the tech and the support. Result? A one game IP and Kojima going straight to Google and then Microsoft to make his next game.

Put a bunch of money on From Software, help them turn into one of the biggest studios in the world. Result? A bit better here, two IPs with future potential, but now they are dancing with MS and Elden Ring’s marketing is exclusive to Xbox. Odds they will do another exclusive with PlayStation? Very low.

Throw a ton of money at Square Enix, which has been going on since the Squaresoft days, get a few timed exclusives because they keep having financial problems. Result? As seen in the past, as soon as they are financially healthy again, thanks Sony, they resume their multiplatform strategy.

Go out there and throw a bunch of money at Bethesda for a couple of times exclusives. Result? Who cares exclusives and then MS comes around and buys the whole op.

Do a deal for Fall Guys, becomes a world wide sensation. Result? Epic buys the dev.

Multiple games with Quantic Dream? Bought by some Chinese company.
Ready at Dawn? Bought by Facebook.

I’m already foreshadowing that Bluepoint will be acquired by some other publisher. Why be stuck in a contract loop with Sony, one bad game that is a financial failure and it’s over.

Jim Ryan can talk all the shit he wants but fact is Sony WWS volume output slowed down last gen. It’s one to two games from their biggest studios, depending on the studio, and I don’t think this is going to get any better unless they compromise on the scale of the projects.

The industry is getting bigger not smaller, and it feels like Sony is waiting for some sort of downturn to invest in a time that is not, according to Jim Ryan, a “sellers market”. Well duh, what did you expect? Yeah keep waiting...

It’s unfortunate that PlayStation keeps being used as a piggy bank for the rest of Sony, and sooner or later that’s going to bite them hard.

Did it occur to you that successful studios and developers like KojiPro don’t want to be bought or incentivised with money?

Companies that are struggling look for cash.

Kojima knows if he produces a hit, his name and the quality will carry the sales and his company will pocket 100%. Accept cash from someone else and suddenly others profit from his work.

You need to get over the idea everything can be moneyhatted - it can’t. Failing IPs, failing studios and even failing publishers will look for a sugar daddy. The successful ones (while they’re successful) don’t.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Anything about Yakuza Like a Dragon performance on PS5?!

seems like Crash has major frame drops on XSX tho

What is there to say? I have it (PS5) - when I first started the game I flicked between performance and quality and could barely perceive any difference so left it in performance.

It runs about as well as you’d expect from any game using this engine (graphically it’s pretty average) - can’t say I’ve noticed any performance issue but it’s not a game where performance matters being a turn based JRPG now.

Last edited:

MHubert

Okay, it's just that you are making some pretty wild claims, that assumes:
  1. A substantial part of the console demographic who buys first party titles are really hardcore PC gamers who feel forced to invest in Sonys' eco system, and:
  2. That said demographic would ditch their console and membership in said eco system if the possibility of a random number of exclusives were to launch on PC 6-18 months after release.
The PC market is indeed substantial, but the 'PC elitist' people are not part of Sony's market anyway. I personally think they are making a smart move by introducing some or more of their IP's to this demographic, outside of their main market.

If your claims were true, we should already now be able to see a decline in sales of first party titles on Sony's console. That does not seem to be the case.

So, if Horison 2 were to sell more than the first on PS4+5 combined, wouldn't you say that would indicate the opposite of what you are claiming?

leizzra

There is also different scenario - people didn't bought Horizon with PS4, even when they known that it's PlayStation exclusive (only on Sony's consoles). So they were fine with that they may never play it. Now when they know that they can wait two to three years for those games, they will wait and buy it on their hardware of choice (PC). I think that for console market what Sony is doing is wrong (but I'm not a suit so I may be wrong). If they go like this they will damage PS5 sales (in a long run). But they are probably doing the same thing that MS is - they are prepering for future without consoles, where service (PS Now I presume) will be their main strenght.

Shmunter

There is also different scenario - people didn't bought Horizon with PS4, even when they known that it's PlayStation exclusive (only on Sony's consoles). So they were fine with that they may never play it. Now when they know that they can wait two to three years for those games, they will wait and buy it on their hardware of choice (PC). I think that for console market what Sony is doing is wrong (but I'm not a suit so I may be wrong). If they go like this they will damage PS5 sales (in a long run). But they are probably doing the same thing that MS is - they are prepering for future without consoles, where service (PS Now I presume) will be their main strenght.
The NO console future is a pipe dream. Streaming is a good sideshow, but it just ain’t the real mccoy and not the target demographic of AAA gamers like us. And most console gamers don’t generally switch to pc. They buy a console every gen and stick with it.

FrankWza

The PS5 being the fastest selling hardware ever in US in dollar sales is extremely surprising considering the scarce hardware stock.

Imagine if COVID-19 never hit and Sony was able to order double the launch stock of APUs from TSMC (as they were reported to have been planning)... They would have roundly cleaned house; smashing every record.
They’re way behind their estimated launch availability too. Crazy

The PS5 being the fastest selling hardware ever in US in dollar sales is extremely surprising considering the scarce hardware stock.

Imagine if COVID-19 never hit and Sony was able to order double the launch stock of APUs from TSMC (as they were reported to have been planning)... They would have roundly cleaned house; smashing every record.
Does it hurt you, Great Hair Great Hair ?

Leyasu

Banned
And what it has to do with the ps5 version? I mean, good for the Xbox owners. Anyway Control is even smaller on ps5 so I guess further we go in the next gen and probably more ps5 will have benefit.
Did you read the what I replied too?

What you getting all salty for? It was a joke reply. So please don't assume that I am here to fight you and the other sony warriors.. You can stand down soldier

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Did you read the what I replied too?

What you getting all salty for? It was a joke reply. So please don't assume that I am here to fight you and the other sony warriors.. You can stand down soldier
Uh if you are just joking why so aggressive? And where I'm so salty? Lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom