• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zadom

You said Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, let's see the receipts.
qcum1WX.jpg

Ask me for the receipts, I know you want to.

ethomaz

Banned
I just realized the ps5 doesn't have a browser, that is kind of an oversight, no?

Is it just a piracy avoidance strategy?
It has a browser... it just not have a icon to open it... you can open it from others ways.

You are not missing much... the browser is basically a small modification from PS4 browser... shit.

Sony said they were removing non-used feature to make the OS simple.

Last edited:
As I've said If it's about io then it's a problem in everything except ps5.
There could be 100 ways to code I/O assets management and 10 times more ways where the bottlenecks could come from. And those are managed by the CPU + main ram as it's a PS4 / XB1 / PC game. PS5 custom I/O hardare is not being used in this game as in 99% others multiplat games. The only exception being maybe Nioh 1 and 2 remastered on PS5.

There could be 100 ways to code I/O assets management and 10 times more ways where the bottlenecks could come from. And those are managed by the CPU + main ram as it's a PS4 / XB1 / PC game. PS5 custom I/O hardare is not being used in this game as in 99% others multiplat games. The only exception being maybe Nioh 1 and 2 remastered on PS5.
Io is input and output not ram. Everything inside ram is fast. Io is a ram and storage bottleneck you a.have to either lower resolution of textures b. Make load screens or elevators and it's exactly why mark cerny designed the ps5 that way.

saintjules

So, what’s this mean for you and your potential PS5? That dream, where you can just walk into your local Best Buy—or Target, or GameStop, or Walmart, or wherever—and buy a PS5 off the shelf? When’s that happen?

Sony hasn’t said. When reached for comment about when wide, regular availability for the PS5 might happen—at least in the company’s estimation—a Sony representative said they would look into the question.

Piscatella is marginally more optimistic: “If nothing else goes wrong, then hopefully August, September, we’ll start seeing a little bit more inventory out there for folks.”

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

the fact that nintendo had the balls to charge $60 for a 30 fps port of Mario 64 is incredible. The fact that its not even a port but just the N64 version running on a software emulator is even more astounding.

Now Im gonna have to pay $60 for a straight port skyward sword in 2021.

I have criticized Sony for this but now I think Sony has the right idea when it comes to remakes. Ratchet, Demon Souls, SOTC. They are no RE2 when it comes to a complete revamp, but its good enough so that I dont feel ripped off.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Io is input and output not ram. Everything inside ram is fast. Io is a ram and storage bottleneck you a.have to either lower resolution of textures b. Make load screens or elevators and it's exactly why mark cerny designed the ps5 that way.
It's not just about loading. Better I/O means also more variety/quantity of graphic assets and texture too. Higher RAM it's for better/ higher graphic effects but for the quantity the I/O is very important. Also I think you can save the RAM from some tasks which doesn't require a fast bandwidth I guess.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

I just realized the ps5 doesn't have a browser, that is kind of an oversight, no?

Is it just a piracy avoidance strategy?
Maybe they do not want their users to play Stadia? :messenger_winking:
OTOH on the PS4 the browser was just plain horrible and I doubt many people would use it anyway...

kyliethicc

I do believe they have a deal with Epic for one AAA and a small game
Ya there's a different team at Remedy making the 2 games for Epic.

Not the same team who made Control tho. That team is working on something else.

Didn't they sign a publishing deal with Epic?

Remedy has said they have 4 teams working on 5 games.

Team 1 - the team who made Control - working on unannounced AAA game in "RCU" (written by Sam Lake)
Team 2 - working on 2 games for Epic - one AAA game and one smaller game, for consoles & PC
Team 3 - working on Vanguard, a multiplayer live service game, free to play (pub unknown)
Team 4 - working on Crossfire X singleplayer for Smilegate, Xbox

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Since Nvidia’s DLSS is a big topic these days (especially in regard to its use in a possible Switch Pro), I was just reading a bit up on it, which led me to an Wikipedia article about AI accelerators. Interestingly, the article mentions the Cell processor as having features significantly overlapping with AI accelerators. Which leads me to my question: would the PS3‘s Cell processor theoretically have been able to do something similar to DLSS, at least to some extent? Or maybe a hypothetical Cell successor, if Sony had stuck with the architecture after the PS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom