• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedro Motta

done its over GIF
What?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Coping still needs to be done with BC games because they are packed like that.

Native PS5 doesn’t need that.

But try to explain that to Tony Warrior.... it is even out of my mind how people keep playing these old games just to tell it is not using PS5 features 🤔
You keep saying this but native PS5 games do copying..

I mean the menu ON the PS5 says "Downloads/copies" lol

Just did a 1GB update to a PS5 game and it went from downloading to copying.. didn't take too long though, just an extra ~20 seconds or so.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You keep saying this but native PS5 games do copying..

I mean the menu ON the PS5 says "Downloads/copies" lol

Just did a 1GB update to a PS5 game and it went from downloading to copying.. didn't take too long though, just an extra ~20 seconds or so.
which PS5 game was this?

I think the SSD read write speeds being 5.5 GB per second should help a lot. If they are copying a 50 GB game from the temp folder, it should only take 20-30 seconds to read and write the entire game file. Now I dont know what they copy but since it takes forever I am guessing they copy the base file to a temp folder to make sure it doesnt get corrupted during patch load and then merge it back. But if they are only copying that 1GB patch file then I dont know why its even taking 20 seconds. Should be a split second thing.

IntentionalPun

which PS5 game was this?

I think the SSD read write speeds being 5.5 GB per second should help a lot. If they are copying a 50 GB game from the temp folder, it should only take 20-30 seconds to read and write the entire game file. Now I dont know what they copy but since it takes forever I am guessing they copy the base file to a temp folder to make sure it doesnt get corrupted during patch load and then merge it back. But if they are only copying that 1GB patch file then I dont know why its even taking 20 seconds. Should be a split second thing.

Fenyx Rising.

I get the feeling Sony just doesn't have that particular tool ready (the one for packaging installs differently.)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Fenyx Rising.

I get the feeling Sony just doesn't have that particular tool ready (the one for packaging installs differently.)
So a cross-gen game. Does it do this with PS5 only games like DeS? I guess we will also find out with Returnal. You may be right about the API toolset as well.

Mr Moose

Currently don't have PS5, so thanks
I just checked, the dumbass is playing the PS4 version for sure, it's 1.009.000 on PS5 (and it shrank? I thought it was 100GB before, its 66.37).
Edit: Oh, it shrank because they removed stuff lol...

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

So a cross-gen game. Does it do this with PS5 only games like DeS? I guess we will also find out with Returnal. You may be right about the API toolset as well.

Not sure; the PS5 only games I have are DeS and Spiderman Remastered and just never noticed their updates if they've had any.

Rudius

the fact that nintendo had the balls to charge $60 for a 30 fps port of Mario 64 is incredible. The fact that its not even a port but just the N64 version running on a software emulator is even more astounding.

Now Im gonna have to pay $60 for a straight port skyward sword in 2021.

I have criticized Sony for this but now I think Sony has the right idea when it comes to remakes. Ratchet, Demon Souls, SOTC. They are no RE2 when it comes to a complete revamp, but its good enough so that I dont feel ripped off.
You can play Mario 64 at 60fps on retro handhelds:

Mr Moose

Normally Fallout 4 on Xbox Series X using FPS Boost will render at a resolution of 1920x1080. However, there is a method to maintain the 60fps cap while also keeping the rendering resolution at 3840x2160 which is as follows:
1. Start Fallout 4 with FPS Boost off and go to the in-game main menu.
2. Switch to another game so that Fallout 4 is stored in a Quick Resume save state.
3. Turn on FPS Boost for Fallout 4.
4. Start Fallout 4 using Quick Resume. Fallout 4 should now be capped at 60fps and be rendering at 4K.
This method will need to be repeated if the game is closed.

Shmunter

Ye gads , that fallout 4 XsX framerate going into the 40’s?!? Must be a bug or something, why they capped it at 1080p by default.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Normally Fallout 4 on Xbox Series X using FPS Boost will render at a resolution of 1920x1080. However, there is a method to maintain the 60fps cap while also keeping the rendering resolution at 3840x2160 which is as follows:
1. Start Fallout 4 with FPS Boost off and go to the in-game main menu.
2. Switch to another game so that Fallout 4 is stored in a Quick Resume save state.
3. Turn on FPS Boost for Fallout 4.
4. Start Fallout 4 using Quick Resume. Fallout 4 should now be capped at 60fps and be rendering at 4K.
This method will need to be repeated if the game is closed.

From the vid, looks like Bethesda should have just gone in and done a proper XSX patch on this one rather than going the BC FPS boost route. The FR holds up fairly well, a nip or tuck here and there and you could probably get a good 4k 60 performance mode going. 1440p certainly at minimum. 🤷‍♂️

sncvsrtoip

SlimySnake

Confirmation of Cerny narrow and fast vs wide and slower (performance is not scaling ideally with wider navis), interestingly also no advantage vs rdna1 comparing to 5700xt running same clocks
yeah, they never announced an IPC increase over RDNA 1 for RDNA 2 cards so that was a given.

GreyHand23

Avengers Next Gen Versions' Install Size:

PS5: 76 gb
XSX: 106 gb
XSS: 72 gb

Kind of disappointed that the game is so much bigger than the last gen version. Doesn't seem like they compressed as much as they could have.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Avengers Next Gen Versions' Install Size:

PS5: 76 gb
XSX: 106 gb
XSS: 72 gb

Kind of disappointed that the game is so much bigger than the last gen version. Doesn't seem like they compressed as much as they could have.
to me thats a good thing. it means they have gone with higher res textures and higher quality assets to take advantage of the next gen power.

kyliethicc

Confirmation of Cerny narrow and fast vs wide and slower (performance is not scaling ideally with wider navis), interestingly also no advantage vs rdna1 comparing to 5700xt running same clocks

Yeah the test is interesting because they kept clocks the same on all 4 cards.

When compared to the full 80 CU Navi21,
50% CUs = 60-68% FPS
75% CUs = 80-86% FPS
90% CUs = 93-94% FPS

So by adding more CUs even at same clocks, there are clear diminishing returns. They went from 40 to 60 CUs at same 2.0 GHz (and increased bandwidth), so thats a 50% increase in shaders, yet only saw about a 33% increase in average performance.

Therefore if one was to add say, 44% more CUs, but also lowered the clock speed by almost 20%, then one could expect almost no improvement in performance.

1.0x1.5x.88=1.33 (going from 40 to 60 CUs @ same clocks, but just 33% perf gain.)
.818x1.44x.88=1.037 (36 vs 52 CUs @ 2.23 vs 1.825 GHz would give just 4% perf gain, if all else was equal)

And remember, when they went from 40 to 60 CUs for Navi 21/22, they kept the same 10 CUs per shader array, like PS5, instead of just adding more CUs into each shader array like they did for XSX. They doubled the shader engines and everything else when going from Navi 22 to Navi 21. Neither console has the 4 SEs of Navi21. So that minor 4% perf gain could be even smaller, aka zero, if adding more CUs per SA decreases efficiency. Not to mention how various other things like split memory bandwidth or slower I/O could bottleneck performance.

charts

F6B5PqH.jpg

Fh0UfCp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom