• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
"No, no, no. We started manufacturing late summer. We were a little bit later than the competition, because we were waiting for some specific AMD technology in our chip. We were a little bit behind where they were, where Sony was, in terms of building units. We started in late summer. When you do that, then you have to ship them to all the right retailers and distributors. There’s a time lag, even when you start and even when they’re coming off the assembly line, [until they’re] sitting at retail shelves.
We’re building at full capacity for now, a few months. And we continue to. Units continue to hit the shelves. Demand is just incredibly high right now. The biggest disappointment for me in this launch — but I’m also happy with it — is people love the product. The demand is high, such that when you’re going to see product hit the shelf, it goes very quickly. If you want one, I sound like a salesman now, but I’d recommend picking one up when you see it."

All 3 APUs are 2019, not Summer 2020.
You know what else this helps prove, that Sony chose not to use those RDNA 2 features. For whatever reason.

Once again, they both made design choices. Its a simple as that. No caught off guard, rushing to beat this or that.

Both likely had these design goals early on in the process.

reksveks

This, this, this.

Full RDNA 2 features were revealed in late 2020.

All 3 console chips were finalized in 2019.

MS already had all the RDNA 2 features in their chips from AMD, in 2019.
They were revealed publicly in 2020, the timeline and comments still makes sense.

"No, no, no. We started manufacturing late summer. We were a little bit later than the competition, because we were waiting for some specific AMD technology in our chip.

All 3 APUs are 2019, not Summer 2020.

The APU's were designed and finalised in 2019, right? They had produced an internal batch of APU for their take home consoles in 2019 I think

reksveks

You know what else this helps prove, that Sony chose not to use those RDNA 2 features. For whatever reason.

Once again, they both made design choices. Its a simple as that. No caught off guard, rushing to beat this or that.

Both likely had these design goals early on in the process.
Yeah, Microsoft is betting on keeping their hardware close to the PC gaming ecosystem ( and Azure) and Sony doesn't currently have to worry about that.

Last edited:
They were revealed publicly in 2020, the timeline and comments still makes sense.

The APU's were designed and finalised in 2019, right? They had produced an internal batch of APU for their take home consoles in 2019 I think

By late 2019, they were most probably in trial testing . Both of them. R&D was already underway in 2017 so the point that one was finished a year before the other doesn't stand. Both were finished in 2019 and went into trial production later that year or earlier in 2020 to iron out potential problems before the final units hit the factory and subsequently hit the ground running with mass production. So, were they unveiled in 2020? Yes absolutely. Were they finished earlier than that? They had to trial produce some units to run preliminary pass checks on before mass production so, the answer is yes to that too.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am assuming you got this the wrong way around and mean a 2070 will never out perform a 2080?
In general you'd be right. However there are always exceptions. In the laptop space people are seeing some 3070's get really close to (and sometimes beat) some 3080's because of the differences in power usage and clocks used in the laptop parts.

And in terms of PS5 v Series X, because console parts are heavily customised, there will be enough architectural differences so that a direct comparison (like you can usually do for GPUs in the same gen from same company) isn't always as easy as you may think. And then you also have the tools and SDKs etc which give another difference.
Correct. I meant 2070 will never beat out of a 2080.

I think Digital Foundry needs to test out the new 40 CU 6700 to the 60 CU 6800. Lock the clocks on the 60 CU 6800 to 1.8 Ghz and see how it compares to the 2.23 Ghz 6700. The CU difference between the two is 50% which is very close to the 44% CU difference between the PS5 and XSX. It would at the very least give us a great indicator of what higher clocks do.

That said, I dont know how customized the PS5 and XSX GPUs really are. We have seen those die shots and they both look virtually identical for both the CPU and GPU. I think the more efficient i/o and higher clocks are allow the PS5 to keep up in some games, but the GPU and CPU are virtually the same save for the extra number of CUs in the XSX.

I'm curious to know which games you speak of that the XSX has a large performance gain. Hitman3, Control?
Yep Hitman. 1800p vs native 4k.
Avengers. 4kcb vs native 4k.
Division 2 1800p vs native 4k.
Ghost Recon. 1440p/30 vs native 4k 30 fps. 1080p 60 fps vs 1440p 60 fps.

There are a couple of others that I cant think of. Maybe Riky and DarkMage keep a tally somewhere.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

In case someone has already posted, something that I found very interesting:

we haven't talked about the full RDNA 2 theory for some time, especially with so many games hanging over to the PS5 side, but well here is the proof of the pudding ...

some extras:

It should be noted that both the s series and the x series use the same controller as the Xbox One x 2017.

Second and it should be noted obviously that with a mid-generation console they could use the same card and increase the memory to 20 gb. Xbox Series x X?
Do we know Microsoft are working on a mid gen XSX

ethomaz

Banned
By late 2019, they were most probably in trial testing . Both of them. R&D was already underway in 2017 so the point that one was finished a year before the other doesn't stand. Both were finished in 2019 and went into trial production later that year or earlier in 2020 to iron out potential problems before the final units hit the factory and subsequently hit the ground running with mass production. So, were they unveiled in 2020? Yes absolutely. Were they finished earlier than that? They had to trial produce some units to run preliminary pass checks on before mass production so, the answer is yes to that too.
Both chips were fully finalized in Q2 2019.

After that no new feature was added.
The tape out happening between that and the full production in June/July 2020 is about settings the production machines right to get better wields.

Full production means producing several hundreds wafers and not just one wafer.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I would assume MS is working on all kinds of hardware for Xbox at this point. As long as it can play Game Pass games they'll try it... stronger platform, portable platform, whatever.
I'm thinking mid gen refreshes for Sony and MS will be a permanent thing. So maybe a 2024 thing. I dont think Pro and X sold a ton, but I dont see either company having OG consoles linger arounf for 7-8 years before a hardware update.

BC helps smooth out any system transition.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

I think Digital Foundry needs to test out the new 40 CU 6700 to the 60 CU 6800. Lock the clocks on the 60 CU 6800 to 1.8 Ghz and see how it compares to the 2.23 Ghz 6700. The CU difference between the two is 50% which is very close to the 44% CU difference between the PS5 and XSX. It would at the very least give us a great indicator of what higher clocks do.

That said, I dont know how customized the PS5 and XSX GPUs really are. We have seen those die shots and they both look virtually identical for both the CPU and GPU. I think the more efficient i/o and higher clocks are allow the PS5 to keep up in some games, but the GPU and CPU are virtually the same save for the extra number of CUs in the XSX.

There are a couple of others that I cant think of. Maybe Riky and DarkMage keep a tally somewhere.
That would be an interesting benchmark for the GPU true raw power.Of course it wouldn't be totally representative because of different Ram structres,APIs,OS footprint etc.
But that would at least give a better representation of the GPUs differences.

Trogdor1123

Not a tech question but have both manufacturers come out with the $10 increase on games or no? Not looking to start a fight, just looking for confirmation one way or the other. I found a few interviews that were pretty wishy-washy

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Not a tech question but have both manufacturers come out with the $10 increase on games or no? Not looking to start a fight, just looking for confirmation one way or the other. I found a few interviews that were pretty wishy-washy
I dont think MS has confirmed or denied anything about pricing of their first party games.

Interfectum

I'm thinking mid gen refreshes for Sony and MS will be a permanent thing. So maybe a 2024 thing. I dont think Pro and X sold a ton, but I dont see either company having OG consoles linger arounf for 7-8 years before a hardware update.

BC helps smooth out any system transition.
It seems to me everything MS has done, be it BC, smart delivery, hardware agnostic approach I think they could surprise launch any type of hardware they want at any time. It could be a streaming stick, a native portable, a more powerful Series X, a less powerful Series S. They have nearly liberated themselves from any one console or generation.

PS5 gonna have a more traditional bump to a PS5 Pro as they clearly have none of those initiatives in a mature state this gen. Even their cloud saves are a mess.

It's an interesting divergence between the two as I think not having such a broad platform allows Sony to take more risks with control methods and exotic hardware should they decide to.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

It seems to me everything MS has done, be it BC, smart delivery, hardware agnostic approach I think they could surprise launch any type of hardware they want at any time. It could be a streaming stick, a native portable, a more powerful Series X, a less powerful Series S. They have nearly liberated themselves from any one console or generation.

PS5 gonna have a more traditional bump to a PS5 Pro as they clearly have none of those initiatives in a mature state this gen. Even their cloud saves are a mess.

It's an interesting divergence between the two as I think not having such a broad platform allows Sony to take more risks with control methods and exotic hardware should they decide to.
Sony has made a move on 5nm chip acquisitions, booked in for 2023.

These two video cards differ not only in the number of computing units. The structure of the 6800 chip itself is much more complicated, relative to the 6700. Whereas the PS5 and XsX video chips are as similar as possible. 2SE in each GPU with 2SA, where PS5 has 5DCU in each array, XsX has 7DCU with less available cache for CU. The number of rendering units is identical but memory bandwidth higher for XsX's GPU.
Such comparisons should be made with all other things being equal to roughly match the raw design of the console chips.

SlimySnake

That would be an interesting benchmark for the GPU true raw power.Of course it wouldn't be totally representative because of different Ram structres,APIs,OS footprint etc.
But that would at least give a better representation of the GPUs differences.
And right on the dot, a new next gen patch is released and for some reason Crysis Remastered is running at 1800p on PS5 and 2160p on the XSX.

Oddly enough, ray tracing modes are the same on both consoles. 1440p 60 fps.

No idea whats going on here. Ray tracing scales with tflops so they should have at least an 18% difference in performance. maybe it has better ray tracing effects?

XBOX SERIES X
  • Quality mode – 2160p - 60 fps
  • RayTracing - 1440p - 60 fps
PlayStation 5
  • Quality mode - 1800p - 60 fps
EDIT:

Watching the DF review and the XSX version has dynamic scaling that drops all the way down to 1800p and even goes below 1440p.

And it still drops frames and dips to 52 fps from what I can see so far.

I wonder if MS is forcing these devs to target native 4k at the expense of framerate thinking DRS will handle everything. Well, DRS doesnt seem to be preventing framerate drops. They dont have the PS5 version so no comparisons so far but this will be an interesting one.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

That test will never work as intended, the software layer is as important (or more) than the hardware differences in this generation. API's, SDK and whatnot are the real difference between the two consoles.

And all those games you mentioned, they inherited PS4 pro settings, so no true comparison can be made there.

Nowcry

What do you think about this?

Traslate:

What do you think about #TheLastofUsPartII Remastered being announced on PS5 with these features? Stay tuned to the channel, because this Saturday you will have a very interesting video about this.
The Bit Analyst
@bitsanalyst
----------------------------------

For the doubtful: yes, the graphic update should be free for owners of the PS4 version of the supposed case. I thought there was no need to clarify this😅

Shmunter

Traslate:

What do you think about #TheLastofUsPartII Remastered being announced on PS5 with these features? Stay tuned to the channel, because this Saturday you will have a very interesting video about this.
The Bit Analyst
@bitsanalyst

For the doubtful: yes, the graphic update should be free for owners of the PS4 version of the supposed case. I thought there was no need to clarify this😅

So it’s all just hypothetical? Not overly exciting, but will take anything about lou2 PS5 at this point

GamePass is a business model, it may be the most successful of its type but this is still what it is (we have had services like that since the early 2000s, I recall a local ISP in Canada trying to coerce its employees into upselling one called "Gamesmania" to their high speed internet clients, these registration services are self serving for whoever provides them--at best).

Kinekt and GamePass are similar in the sense that both are gimmicks that MS got somewhere else and somehow people act as if they re-invented the wheel.

They do offer more than Sony does on that sense, but given the online nature of their service calling it preservation is a stretch of the word is there ever was one. As someone who has worked on document management systems I can guarantee you that anything that requires a third party contact is between what you want and you (in this case games or game saves) well... it's not yours and you can't count on it being available whenever you want it. However, big kudos for them respecting past purchases, Sony has cut PS1 backward compatibility, even for digital purchases (which they used to respect across systems).

Nintendo will resell their old games to you, but at least they do and they have a legacy worth mentioning, going back all the way to the NES days, covering SNES, GameCube and N64...

The village idiot is the only one who is paying full price for gamepass.
How can Game Pass be a gimmick if it functions as major enhancement to the core function of a game console: to deliver games? Kinect hampered the X1s ability to run games well seeing how it took away processing power from the SOC. It actually HURT the X1s ability to play games something Game Pass does the opposite. It is just a horrible comparison.

Your point about 'online nature of the service' I do not get. Ever since the X1 and maybe even the X360 games are digital. Just because the Xbox does not run something like Crimson Skies natively doesn't take away that you can still play a game with a disc from over 15 years ago. No one else in the console space is doing that. Nintendo re-selling you old game sucks because many people already have the original releases. I do understand that in a digital era you will have to repurchase a digital version.

This digital era changes the whole idea of 'ownership' anyway. None of our digital purchases will persist if the company hosting those games disappears. Sony still exists and they closed the PS3 and Vita stores regardless. That is why streaming and subscriptions are so popular now. Look at Spotify. You think people are complaining that they don't own the CD and just pay to listen to whatever they want? You think Netflix subscribers are up in arms about not owning the movie they watched yesterday? If you played a game on Game Pass and you didn't like it much you aren't going to be upset you don't own it. If you love the game you aren't going to be upset you can purchase the game for a discount. There is no downside. Time have changed since the NES and PS1 era. Things are digital now and anyone holding on to physical media will soon discover the world has left them behind.

Neo Blaster

Traslate:

The Bit Analyst
@bitsanalyst

Fake.

ethomaz

Banned
And right on the dot, a new next gen patch is released and for some reason Crysis Remastered is running at 1800p on PS5 and 2160p on the XSX.

Oddly enough, ray tracing modes are the same on both consoles. 1440p 60 fps.

No idea whats going on here. Ray tracing scales with tflops so they should have at least an 18% difference in performance. maybe it has better ray tracing effects?

XBOX SERIES X
  • Quality mode – 2160p - 60 fps
PlayStation 5
  • Quality mode - 1800p - 60 fps
EDIT:

Watching the DF review and the XSX version has dynamic scaling that drops all the way down to 1800p and even goes below 1440p.

And it still drops frames and dips to 52 fps from what I can see so far.

I wonder if MS is forcing these devs to target native 4k at the expense of framerate thinking DRS will handle everything. Well, DRS doesnt seem to be preventing framerate drops. They dont have the PS5 version so no comparisons so far but this will be an interesting one.
DF stated the PS5 resolution is limited to what PS4 Pro had.

Yup, that sounds plausible, they also explain why this is the case in the situation
The developer pressed that games require a port more than a simple conversion as you find on Xbox.
This is entirely on Sony, MS offers a more integrated development environment across platforms, so it's easier to just enhance the existing version for their latest console. As I understand it Sony has split dev kits, and it seems like the PS4 kit allows minimal enhancements for the PS5.

So we have this situation with crossgen titles now.

Actual PS5 games should not be affected by these limitations.

Last edited:

saintjules

Traslate:

The Bit Analyst
@bitsanalyst

icy121

Sure, Spider-Man, GoW4, HZD, TLoU2 etc. show impressive numbers, but at the same time there are games like TO1886, DC, Dreams, TLG, Days Gone, Death Stranding, and so on.
This is pure speculation on my part, obviously, but I'm willing to bet the farm TLoU2 overall development cost + marketing budget cost more to make than TO1886, Days Gone, Death Stranding, DC, and maybe Dreams combined. Not 100% certain about Dreams cause that game was gestating for the greater part of the PS4 generation despite being announced as one of the very first PS4 games.

SlimySnake

Man this Crysis patch s awful on the xbox consoles. They said that the XSX version is native 4k 60 fps, but its actually DRS dropping all the way to 1440p and still spending most of its time in the low 50s.

The XSS version in Performance mode was said to be a 1080p 60 fps mode but sits in the mid 40s with DRS dropping resolution. For some reason, DF isnt counting pixels when the framerate dips so we dont know how many pixels are being rendered when the framerate dips to 44 fps. It's bizarre that they would go out of their way to test random framedips by hugging walls and causing your character to go transparent in Tony Hawk just to get the framerate to dip below 120 fps, but not count what the resolution is at that point. They do the same thing here.

The PS5 comparisons will be very interesting here because a lot of the drops happen when there are alpha effects on screen or basically during combat. We saw this in Hitman and AC Valhalla in xbox series x version too but the PS5 was basically a locked 60 fps. Lower resolution in Hitman but higher in Valhalla.

Could this be due to higher clocks on the PS5? Or a bottleneck in the XSX where these extra CUs are now battling for resources in the same two shader arrays? How can a game easily run at native 4k 60 fps and then drop performance by almost 20 frames the moment you interact with foliage, light up a torch or shoot a sniper rifle? I have never seen anything like this on PC. Combat sections usually take a hit but its never that bad.

EDIT: DF is saying that the dynamic res needs to be more aggressive and go all the way down to 1080p 60 fps. Am I the only one thinking there is something seriously wrong with a GPU that can go from native 4k 60 fps to 1080p 60 fps in games? I spend a lot of times tweaking graphics settings before settling on a resolution that best holds my target framerate. Used to be 60 fps back in they day, now its a 100-120 fps, but once I set the resolution, I dont expect the framerate to literally drop performance that requires you to drop resolution by 4x when there is action on screen. I really wish DF took stuff like this a bit more seriously. There is a serious bottleneck somewhere in the xsx and they have zero desire to investigate this.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Man this Crysis patch s awful on the xbox consoles. They said that the XSX version is native 4k 60 fps, but its actually DRS dropping all the way to 1440p and still spending most of its time in the low 50s.

The XSX version in Performance mode was said to be a 1080p 60 fps mode but sits in the mid 40s with DRS dropping resolution. For some reason, DF isnt counting pixels when the framerate dips so we dont know how many pixels are being rendered when the framerate dips to 44 fps. It's bizarre that they would go out of their way to test random framedips by hugging walls and causing your character to go transparent in Tony Hawk just to get the framerate to dip below 120 fps, but not count what the resolution is at that point. They do the same thing here.

The PS5 comparisons will be very interesting here because a lot of the drops happen when there are alpha effects on screen or basically during combat. We saw this in Hitman and AC Valhalla in xbox series x version too but the PS5 was basically a locked 60 fps. Lower resolution in Hitman but higher in Valhalla.

Could this be due to higher clocks on the PS5? Or a bottleneck in the XSX where these extra CUs are now battling for resources in the same two shader arrays? How can a game easily run at native 4k 60 fps and then drop performance by almost 20 frames the moment you interact with foliage, light up a torch or shoot a sniper rifle? I have never seen anything like this on PC. Combat sections usually take a hit but its never that bad.

EDIT: DF is saying that the dynamic res needs to be more aggressive and go all the way down to 1080p 60 fps. Am I the only one thinking there is something seriously wrong with a GPU that can go from native 4k 60 fps to 1080p 60 fps in games? I spend a lot of times tweaking graphics settings before settling on a resolution that best holds my target framerate. Used to be 60 fps back in they day, now its a 100-120 fps, but once I set the resolution, I dont expect the framerate to literally drop performance by 4x when there is action on screen. I really wish DF took stuff like this a bit more seriously. There is a serious bottleneck somewhere in the xsx and they have zero desire to investigate this.
It just BC cocde running on the new machines.
They took barely any time to work in these updates.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

The XSS version in Performance mode was said to be a 1080p 60 fps mode but sits in the mid 40s with DRS dropping resolution. For some reason, DF isnt counting pixels when the framerate dips so we dont know how many pixels are being rendered when the framerate dips to 44 fps. It's bizarre that they would go out of their way to test random framedips by hugging walls and causing your character to go transparent in Tony Hawk just to get the framerate to dip below 120 fps, but not count what the resolution is at that point. They do the same thing here.

EDIT: DF is saying that the dynamic res needs to be more aggressive and go all the way down to 1080p 60 fps. Am I the only one thinking there is something seriously wrong with a GPU that can go from native 4k 60 fps to 1080p 60 fps in games? I spend a lot of times tweaking graphics settings before settling on a resolution that best holds my target framerate. Used to be 60 fps back in they day, now its a 100-120 fps, but once I set the resolution, I dont expect the framerate to literally drop performance that requires you to drop resolution by 4x when there is action on screen. I really wish DF took stuff like this a bit more seriously. There is a serious bottleneck somewhere in the xsx and they have zero desire to investigate this.
It will be a bug, they always say that.It doesn't matter to them that it is recurring through different games and graphical engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom