• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToadMan

Take this with a HUGE GRAIN OF SALT, this is coming from the head of gamesindustry.biz who says he's "talked to a few friends at Xbox Game Studios" and he says games like Everwild, Fable, and Perfect Dark are so far away that "there might even be a new Xbox console released by the time those games come out."

(timestamped)

Yet another guy who is right about as often as a die roll. And this is a topic discussed here 10 months ago and he’s just caught up?

2vWoxs5.jpg

Last edited:

farmerboy

To me the worst thing about current Sony is having some of their games better on PC then on PS5. Horizon is the biggest offender, but Detroit is also still limited to 30fps on PS5, the same for Death Stranding (not first party). This shows disregard for their most loyal supporters and is inexcusable.

This irks me a little as well, to be honest. Though I've come to accept it.

Now if they released on PC day and date and looked better? Well that would be something different entirely.

Dibils2k

How Destruction was so bad when it was decided to be on PS+ before it came out?

Btw. regarding, Miles Morales, Demons Souls Remake and Sackboy, all of them are still in top 10 charts on US/Canada/Europe after 6 months. They are selling well.
being in the top 10 is relative. especially in a year where not much is coming out

Esppiral

People bitching on Metal Gear Twin Snakes haven't played MGS2,3 and 4? Because those games are as overexagerated as twin snakes if not more ....

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
How Destruction was so bad when it was decided to be on PS+ before it came out?

Btw. regarding, Miles Morales, Demons Souls Remake and Sackboy, all of them are still in top 10 charts on US/Canada/Europe after 6 months. They are selling well.
Exactly. There are PS download charts that show this. Demons Souls included.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Didn't Microsoft try to sell the Xbox One as a cable box back in 2013. 🤔 😛🤦‍♂️

To be honest though Sony have a better chance at making this work because they have content people want.

When MS did it, it was more like an aspiration - hey please use our xbox for 3rd party media stuff and pay for Live to do it, thanks!

You gotta say Sony have never managed to create synergy between the product lines. They’ve got the TV, the console, the home audio devices and mobile devices, the movies, music and games. It seems like there should be a way to tie all this together in way that establishes value across the product lines but if there is Sony haven’t found it.

MS tried to do the same with just the console and nothing else, so that lack of success was fairly obvious. If Sony couldn’t do it with their established product lines MS were never gonna get there.

Last edited:

Do Sony really have the cash to invest in a Gamepass style application... Can Sony afford to play the long game like Microsoft are playing... Look at what Epic are having to lose to take on Steam. 🤔

I don't believe money is even the issue. It's the underlying strategy

Microsoft is going all in on gamepass because the goal is to be platform agnostic, unless Sony wants to chase that same goal something like PSNow will always be a side thought

They'd be trying to match and take losses on something they don't even believe in

Last edited:

ToadMan

Do Sony really have the cash to invest in a Gamepass style application... Can Sony afford to play the long game like Microsoft are playing... Look at what Epic are having to lose to take on Steam. 🤔

Backwards...

Sony, Nintendo, they make a profit from gaming.

MS don’t and neither does Epic from the store. The question is how long they can compete and how much money they will sink into it. It’s gonna take a lot more than MS $100bn in the bank to reach market dominance level from where they are today.

Unless/until Sony starts posting losses from gaming this is way premature.

Last edited:

jroc74

All in one TV, movies, gaming sub. Sounds like they want to be a cable company.

Need to bring back PS Vue and add it to the pot.
That PSVue didnt get the same kind of backlash should tell us that this is more up Sony's alley, since they are actually actively involved in movies, TV and music.

And execution, messaging plays a part. PSVue didnt try to take over the spotlight from gaming.

This would be them expanding services after establishing they are still putting games first.

Loope

True but I don't think Sony is trying to do the same thing. So far the communication around the PS5 has been gaming focused.
Of course they're not.People are going insane for nothing. These companies are not exactly run by idiots(except Mattrick,maybe). Jim Ryan know what he's doing the same way Phil knows what he's doing. They're going the same direction, just in different ways.

Given than PlayStation's revenue is comfortably in the billions per year, I think they'll be fine.

Of course they're not.People are going insane for nothing. These companies are not exactly run by idiots(except Mattrick,maybe). Jim Ryan know what he's doing the same way Phil knows what he's doing. They're going the same direction, just in different ways.

I can understand why some don't like Jim but he's no Mattrick. Mattrick almost destroyed Xbox and I don't see the same happening with Jim.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The problem is that his articles are slanted. Sure, there may be some "facts" present, but he tries to paint a narrative that may not actually exist.

Example: the situation he described at Sony seems completely normal and nothing out of the ordinary in AAA game development. At the end of the day is it any surprise they are doubling down on AAA development? Is there anything wrong with that? I am not exactly seeing a lack of lesser tier games either, like Returnal or Kena.

The situation with San Diego vs. Naughty Dog seems completely normal, as does the Bend Studio new IP stuff. Talking to a few ex-devs may also slant the true story, or he may even misinterpret the intent of what they are saying.
From what I understand, focus on AAA means focus on just 3-4 studios over at Sony. ND, SSM, SP and Insomaniac. Apparently, Days Gone and Death Stranding arent considered AAA by them, and they dont feel like they need to invest in them. and thats what I have an issue with.

Sony seems to have turned into a third party publisher twiddling their thumbs wasting years while they reject pitches and make AAA studios do support work. sony bend's next game should have been greenlit BEFORE they shipped Days Gone. good execs should know if a game is good and deserves a sequel or not. thats what they used to do back in the day. uncharted sold 111k copies in its first month and yet by january they had already announced ND was working on U2. ratchet sold 79k and insomniac had a sequel out in 2 years.

but the new sony is like no lets wait to see profits. thats not the point of first party studios and first party games. and thats what I got from Jason's article.

From what I understand, focus on AAA means focus on just 3-4 studios over at Sony. ND, SSM, SP and Insomaniac. Apparently, Days Gone and Death Stranding arent considered AAA by them, and they dont feel like they need to invest in them. and thats what I have an issue with.

Sony seems to have turned into a third party publisher twiddling their thumbs wasting years while they reject pitches and make AAA studios do support work. sony bend's next game should have been greenlit BEFORE they shipped Days Gone. good execs should know if a game is good and deserves a sequel or not. thats what they used to do back in the day. uncharted sold 111k copies in its first month and yet by january they had already announced ND was working on U2. ratchet sold 79k and insomniac had a sequel out in 2 years.

but the new sony is like no lets wait to see profits. thats not the point of first party studios and first party games. and thats what I got from Jason's article.
If they would want only to see profits, they would have said yes to Days Gone 2 with how well it sold when you see how bad the reviews were for it and honestly it's a good thing that Bend is working on a new ip. Even with secret ending of Days Gone, i think it's better to move on.

When you look at the Linkedin of the new writers at Bend, they seems to only have been a support studio for a really short of time because they started work on their new ip in September 2019.

Tom Dibble - Senior Writer at Sony Interactive Entertainment - Sony | LinkedIn

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I really don’t want another Gamepass like from Sony.

I don’t want PS games being focused in cheap subscription GAAS games.

That is what I don’t want to Industry moving into but maybe it is time to retire from playing games lol I’m already near 40.

I can say few games excites me as gamer like old days recently... Open World games last gen for example was mostly disappointments.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I really don’t want another Gamepass like from Sony.

I don’t want PS games being focused in cheap subscription GAAS games.

That is what I don’t want to Industry moving into but maybe it is time to retire from playing games lol I’m already near 40.

I can say few games excites me as gamer like old days recently... Open World games last gen for example was mostly disappointments.
well i would prefer if games went back to the $60 price point also.

GaaS isnt good for really anyone because you do not own the game.

just like with netflix, you dont own the movie

Zoro7

Banned

It’s never going back to $60 unfortunately. I expect many companies to follow soon.

I thought I’d check out the gamepass library to see what all the fuss was about. The only game I found that I really really wanted to play was Forza Horizon 4. I’m not buying a console and paying subscription for one game.
Ultimately that’s my problem with gamepass, you could potentially go months without there being a game you want added. That’s crazy.

ethomaz

Banned

I should pay $70 or more for actual fully playable experiences without GAAS.

We are already decades with games at $60 and huge inflation in US... so a $10 increase is very minor in economy terms.

Last edited:

squarealex

If this is real I hope it's PS+, I don't want PSNow crap but would love some anime and movie stuff as long as it's not expensive.
Eh.... Sony have Sony Music, Sony Music Japan & EMI (Queen, Beatles, David Bowie)... why not music on Spotify too?

I wonder how they propose this kind of service when they closed PlayStation Video... non sense...

Last edited:

Zadom

If prices are at 70$ I want demos for every game. I’m a lot more critical than when I was younger and hate spending that much for a game I drop after a short amount of time. Especially since I buy almost everything digital now, I can’t even sell/ trade in.

SlimySnake

If prices are at 70$ I want demos for every game. I’m a lot more critical than when I was younger and hate spending that much for a game I drop after a short amount of time. Especially since I buy almost everything digital now, I can’t even sell/ trade in.
Ratchet and returnal will be interesting case studies. I am tempted to blame the lackluster sales of demon souls to its $70 price tag because miles continues to chart months after release. That $50 price tag is arguably the main reason why. Meanwhile, ds charted in the first month and then just fell off all top 20 lists.

In Europe, it's actually 79 euros, no? That's like a hundred dollars.

SlimySnake

If they would want only to see profits, they would have said yes to Days Gone 2 with how well it sold when you see how bad the reviews were for it and honestly it's a good thing that Bend is working on a new ip. Even with secret ending of Days Gone, i think it's better to move on.

When you look at the Linkedin of the new writers at Bend, they seems to only have been a support studio for a really short of time because they started work on their new ip in September 2019.

Tom Dibble - Senior Writer at Sony Interactive Entertainment - Sony | LinkedIn
The directors left in 2020 though. And that's when tlou2 came out.

1. Bend isn’t being shut down. They are working on a new IP

Days Gone isn’t an instant green light for a sequel. Reviews were a lot lower than expected, you can’t compare that to Uncharted.

2. Sony doesn’t own Kojima, we don’t know if they are still working together or if Kojima decided to go multiplat on their own accord

Ratchet and returnal will be interesting case studies. I am tempted to blame the lackluster sales of demon souls to its $70 price tag because miles continues to chart months after release. That $50 price tag is arguably the main reason why. Meanwhile, ds charted in the first month and then just fell off all top 20 lists.

In Europe, it's actually 79 euros, no? That's like a hundred dollars.

No, the main reason why miles continues to sell is its a significantly enhanced cross gen game and it’s SPIDER-MAN....demons souls is niche

I would like the price to go down but it really depends if the increase was out of necessity or greed. If it was out of necessity then something will get cut when they reduce the price which isn't ideal. I would prefer a feature rich 70$ game over a bare bones 60$ one with a ton of MTX.

So, what’s the deal with petitions, it looks like the goals just keep rising? What’s the point?

DG2 is a bit over the 6700 mark.

I think these are good just to get Sonys attention regardless of whether the goals are actually realised

If they get enough traction they make headlines with the media and at the very least it sends a message to Sony

Last edited:

jroc74

I think these are good just to get Sonys attention regardless of whether the goals are actually realised

If they get enough traction they make headlines with the media and at the very least it sends a message to Sony
I dont think Days Gone 2 is off the table, we just dont have the complete story about it.

if it really is not coming, I also hope they see the reception to the article. That was the most mind blowing thing to me in the article, along with a TLoU 1 remake.

While I think Jason has good info and sources, I dont think anyone needs to take the article as the only source for how Sony is.

Right now, So far Jeff said he expected the article to be more controversial with the buzz before the article dropped.

Some of us said the exact same thing, lol.

And IIRC he just said Sony is hands off and not pushing the blockbuster experience down studios throats.

IMO...Its just trying to find a balance between wanting a sure hit vs not wasting money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom