• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabaus

Banned
Are you alluding to some sort of betrayalton or exclusive that's going to piss people off?
An incredible exclusive on whose behalf though? Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo? And what game? Remember that paste bin about gta6 being a Ps5 Times exclusive? Is he alluding to that?

JFnbneh.png

iz this thng on??

t85FtZi.jpg

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm ok if the console is 10TF in the end, because this is the minimum what we all expected from both next-gen consoles. I bet Sony will outperform the Sexbox in a lot of other areas.

See how both Pro and One X have a bad CPU both both GPU's are not the bottleneck in it. Imagine if both had a better CPU, even the Pro could have done more 4K or more 60fps games.

That's why this whole "Teraflop" thing for next-gen, won't be the most important thing anymore.

TeamGhobad

Banned
I'm ok if the console is 10TF in the end, because this is the minimum what we all expected from both next-gen consoles. I bet Sony will outperform the Sexbox in a lot of other areas.

See how both Pro and One X have a bad CPU both both GPU's are not the bottleneck in it. Imagine if both had a better CPU, even the Pro could have done more 4K or more 60fps games.

That's why this whole "Teraflop" thing for next-gen, won't be the most important thing anymore.

2823f4559100a5f6c5a937f93196eb97.jpg

As a programmer friend told me this morning, this Spencer statement for him means that PS5 will have a higher amount of ram memory. He works in a video game studio for mobile phones, they don't work for consoles, so it's an interpretation of his words.

joe_zazen

As a programmer friend told me this morning, this Spencer statement for him means that PS5 will have a higher amount of ram memory. He works in a video game studio for mobile phones, they don't work for consoles, so it's an interpretation of his words.

if ps5 has a more expensive/better memory solution but a cheaper/worse gpu....well that could be a fun fight to watch on forums. Unlike say, trillion dollar corporation buying exclusives and studios Vs whatever sony is doing to get more next gen content (Are they doing anything?).

SgtCaffran

most likely bullshit. since 56 cus for 12teraflops is already 400mm no way sony would go with something like that.
I don't think Sony will make two systems. They have earlier stated that they believe in discrete console generations. In contrast, Xbox clearly wants a system similar to how PC or phone upgrading works.

So I'm going to assume one PS5 for 2020. If we then assume XsX sits at 12TF and PS5 is max 5-10% faster GPU wise, let us assume either 12.5TF or 13TF for PS5.

Next assumption, also based on Osirisblack is the GPU frequency, he mentioned 2.1GHz as maximum number he heard of. I will take that coupled with some rumors and patent on Sony custom cooling solution. So I will assume either 2.1 or slightly below 2 for retail. (I agree both are high but it's an assumption!)

• 13TF, 2.1GHz > ~48 CU
  • 13TF, 1.95GHz > ~52 CU
  • 12.5TF, 2.1GHz > ~46.5 CU (so probably wrong)
  • 12.5TF, 1.95GHz > ~50 CU
  • Bonus: 12TF, 1.95GHz > ~48 CU
PS4 is 18 CU, PS4 PRO is 36 CU. 5700 is 36 CU, 5700 XT is 40 CU. I think that - simply based on round numbers - 48 or 52 CU could be a good guestimate for the PS5. I'm not an expert on die size but I think especially 48 CU might match well with the rumors that the PS5 has the smaller die.

Anybody able and willing to do a die size estimation for 48 and 52 CU counts?

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
[QUOTE = "CurryPanda, сообщение: 256409842, участник: 750182"]
[URL unfurl = "true"] https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/xbox-series-x-gpu.c3482 [/ URL]

[URL unfurl = "true"] https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/playstation-5-gpu.c3480 [/ URL]
[/ QUOTE]
Can you stop throwing off nonsense?
i love how under recommended resolution for both them has a yellow box for "playable" for 4K :messenger_tears_of_joy: it seems they will do 4K 30fps. might even see some resolution drops to 1800p or even 1440p! kiss the thought of 60fps good bye.

at this point i think it's beyond doubt that this is indeed what we'll get. the ps5 will actually be weaker than XSX. lol for those holding out hope that they are false and Sony will come out confirming 12TF or above...it's time to face reality.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

Another insider pointing to PS5 having a slight edge over XsX. Looks more and more likely the github info does not show the whole story and leads to misleading statements.

Also mentioned that the Ray tracing technology in the PS5 has an edge.

Likely PS meeting at either the 13th or 20th of February (my take on some rumors).

Ouuuu talk about it. Let's get it.

Flintty

Was there anything positive to say about xbox one back then? Also I remember he was right almost or every time.

But this time any info leaked regarding MS should have a positive vibe since they’re doing everything right.

Pretty much this. I was day one Xbox and can honestly say that there was a lot wrong at the time. We had small threads of positivity to hang on to but in reality, Xbox got spanked hard and CBOAT was usually reporting the truth.

I’m glad he’s back - I hope he has some news to post.

R600

Banned
I think its funny that people are hanging onto what Andrew Reiner said, but never actually mention that Ed Boon, a creative director of Mortal Kombat games, and almost certainly a guy with much better know how in next gen consoles then Reiner, kinda shot down this tweet in reply to Reiner.

Now...could it be true? Yes, it could. Is it likely after what we now know? No.

What I think is more likely is that Sony, as they themselves confirmed, sent dev kits fairly early (late 2018 - Vega 13TF, summer 2019 - SOC based V dev kit), while as Tom Warren noted - MS hasnt. They havent sent it till late this year in fact.

So with that in mind, I think mix of MS message to devs "2x Scorpio GPU" and Sonys "13TF Vega dev kits" resulted in nice PR for Sony, that was missing from E3, and dissaster from MS who just announced their new console just to be overtaken by Andrew Reiners tweet about dev saying PS5 has more TF.

Who to believe? A lead guy who is almost 100% developing next gen game on both systems, or a jurno (with good connections), but lacking in context and technical ability to understand what he has been told?

DaGwaphics

I feel like there will be a lot of seismic shifts this gen, on all sides. It's getting difficult for multi-plat devs to take any risks when self funding, I think you'll see a bit of a land-grab from all parties (Nintendo included). Time will tell how this all plays out as alliances shift and licensing agreements expire throughout the gen. Could be some hints of things to come in the XSX announce trailer, who is to say. Should be a good time.

giphy.gif

ANIMAL1975

That database is manually imputed... it just place holders for the new consoles.
Don't waste your time it's hopeless. They will just ignore you, or attack you with the same old 'real numbers from AMD tests, not some vague wishful shit from seeking attention insiders!' rehearsed speech... With a lot of 'da fanboyz' tossed in strategically for claiming they have no horse, they are unbiased...
I'm actually starting to think that at least one of them (and im betting is R600) or maybe more, are really Sony ninjas infiltrated in the thread by the time the 13tf rumors were getting out of their control _ to spread the 9tf Gonzalo bullshit. So it has to be a newcomer/s from that point in time.

Fake edit: and isn't it a coincidence that, by the time that the conversation, here and in Era, was dragging itself page after page on the ReRam and/or HBM2 secret sauce theories........ Bam! Github datamine leak _ here 9.2 tf to put your expectations down, and take your noses out of my secret sauces bitches!
Remember folks... You heard it here first.

R600

Banned
Don't waste your time it's hopeless. They will just ignore you, or attack you with the same old 'real numbers from AMD tests, not some vague wishful shit from seeking attention insiders!' rehearsed speech... With a lot of 'da fanboyz' tossed in strategically for claiming they have no horse, they are unbiased...
I'm actually starting to think that at least one of them (and im betting is R600) or maybe more, are really Sony ninjas infiltrated in the thread by the time the 13tf rumors were getting out of their control _ to spread the 9tf Gonzalo bullshit. So it has to be a newcomer/s from that point in time.

Fake edit: and isn't it a coincidence that, by the time that the conversation, here and in Era, was dragging itself page after page on the ReRam and/or HBM2 secret sauce theories........ Bam! Github datamine leak _ here 9.2 tf to put your expectations down, and take your noses out of my secret sauces bitches!
Remember folks... You heard it here first.
If you can actually bother to read you can see my post regarding specs posted and see that, no, I dont think its true. Because it basically misses easiest part of Arden - 320bit bus (thats how default BW in test ended up 560GB/s).

Sony will not be 13TF. Only way its ever gonna work is if MS is lower then 10TF (meaning 2xXBX is perf metric not TF one)

R600

Banned
It's guesswork based on the GitHub leak and a placeholder until more information is revealed. There is nothing on the GitHub leak that explicitly confirms a 320-bit bus.
But there is - theoretical BW is 560GB/s. Theretical BW for Oberon is 448GB/s.

This indicates AMD used 14Gbps chips as clock default for Github leak. Makes sense as 14Gbps chips can be found in Navi 10 anyway. Tell me, how else you get 560GB/s if not 14Gbps chip on 320bit bus? Only other way is 224bit bus on 18Gbps chip, and that is pretty much impossible.

Now, if that 560GB/s is not enough then I guess Scarlett video reveal showing 320bit bus could actualy do the trick.

Last edited:
I think its funny that people are hanging onto what Andrew Reiner said, but never actually mention that Ed Boon, a creative director of Mortal Kombat games, and almost certainly a guy with much better know how in next gen consoles then Reiner, kinda shot down this tweet in reply to Reiner.

Now...could it be true? Yes, it could. Is it likely after what we now know? No.

What I think is more likely is that Sony, as they themselves confirmed, sent dev kits fairly early (late 2018 - Vega 13TF, summer 2019 - SOC based V dev kit), while as Tom Warren noted - MS hasnt. They havent sent it till late this year in fact.

So with that in mind, I think mix of MS message to devs "2x Scorpio GPU" and Sonys "13TF Vega dev kits" resulted in nice PR for Sony, that was missing from E3, and dissaster from MS who just announced their new console just to be overtaken by Andrew Reiners tweet about dev saying PS5 has more TF.

Who to believe? A lead guy who is almost 100% developing next gen game on both systems, or a jurno (with good connections), but lacking in context and technical ability to understand what he has been told?

Dude you do know what spec target sheet is .correct ?
They write 12 Navi TF or 13 GCN TF . It’s detailed . And spec sheet target is completely different than dev kits. The spec target is sent to devs around 18 months prior to launch which put us around e3 2019 when both sent target specs to devs to get games up and running . Has nothing to do with dev kits .

R600

Banned
Dude you do know what spec target sheet is .correct ?
They write 12 Navi TF or 13 GCN TF . It’s detailed . And spec sheet target is completely different than dev kits. The spec target is sent to devs around 18 months prior to launch which put us around e3 2019 when both sent target specs to devs to get games up and running . Has nothing to do with dev kits .
I think you should tell this to Ed Boon, I mean the guy is just lead on MK series so I guess he would know.

Tbh I tought of that obviously, but its a question how necessary are detailed target specs for system coming out in 2 years, given the state of tools and simulations. For PS3, studio needed few months just to get a hang on the system, for PS4 you can port a game in matter of days.

On the other hand, how do you tell devs what to target 2 years in advance when 6yrs in waiting new AMD arch brings 30-40% perf v TF increase and devs have no idea about it?

You send them Vega kits with 13TF, like Sony already did, and let them know this is a power they will be getting for next gen console. Because 13TF RDNA is easily ~18TF GCN.

I mean, there is straight line in code of Oberon pointing to Vega20 in Ariel repository, so it wouldnt be surprising to see that yes, 2018 dev kits had Vegas inside as Navi was not ready. That 13TF Vega is still slower then Navi found in Oberon anyway...

Last edited:
I think you should tell this to Ed Boon, I mean the guy is just lead on MK series so I guess he would know.

Tbh I tought of that obviously, but its a question how necessary are detailed target specs for system coming out in 2 years, given the state of tools and simulations. For PS3, studio needed few months just to get a hang on the system, for PS4 you can port a game in matter of days.

On the other hand, how do you tell devs what to target 2 years in advance when 6yrs in waiting new AMD arch brings 30-40% perf v TF increase?

You send them Vega kits with 13TF, like Sony already did, and let them know this is a power they will be getting for next gen console. Because 13TF RDNA is easily ~18TF GCN.
Again u r confusing the 2 . They could have sent a dev kit with the api to them and spec sheet for that dev kit might have been 13 Vega TF . That has no bearing on target spec sheet. Which is detailed and mentions the architecture.dev kit specs and target specs are different specially when a new architecture is coming out . However getting dev kits to developers ensures that they r familiar with tools and api .

Last edited:

NeroDaGod

Lol what?

Why is it so unreasonable for Ed Boon to not know next gen specs whilst someone else you deem less important does?

What the actual fuck is this logic?

Maybe Ed Boon doesn't have access to any specs because a new MK game isn't in the pipeline or because he doesn't care enough to look at them? There's a hundreds of reasons as to why Ed Boon doesn't know the specs...

DaGwaphics

Quick question, will anyone here really switch alliances because of a couple TF here or there? Say Sony bests Xbox by 25% even, given that the system design of Xbox seems more sound than last gen, do Xbox gamers really care? Same thing in reverse, I think Sony gamers are staying put regardless. I'm referring of course to the hard-core crowd that is entrenched to one side or the other already.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Lol what?

Why is it so unreasonable for Ed Boon to not know next gen specs whilst someone else you deem less important does?

What the actual fuck is this logic?

Maybe Ed Boon doesn't have access to any specs because a new MK game isn't in the pipeline or because he doesn't care enough to look at them? There's a hundreds of reasons as to why Ed Boon doesn't know the specs...
Its not about deeming someone less important or not. Its about, quite literally, saying that lead guy on a MK series and senior figure in big AAA studio would certainly be in position to know next gen specs better then jurno like Andrew Reiner.

Now if Andrew was sure in his source, he could have posted an article or tell Ed that he is wrong, but obv he was chatty chatty with Ed because Ed is in position to know specs very well. If someone like him from 3rd party studio would not be in position to know, who would?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The way I interpret things is that both consoles will disappoint the average tech joe in terms of RAM increase generation on generation.
We are talking about a likely 2x or less likely 4x increase and if both makers are investing on very fast SSD’s and the OS / File I/O stack changes to take advantage of that speed (unlike Windows or macOS machines) it is mean to make SSD the center stage for memory and move main RAM as more of a disk cache plus scratch pad with the system efficiently moving and unpacking compressed data into RAM multiple times per second or per frame.

xool

The way I interpret things is that both consoles will disappoint the average tech joe in terms of RAM increase generation on generation.
We are talking about a likely 2x or less likely 4x increase and if both makers are investing on very fast SSD’s and the OS / File I/O stack changes to take advantage of that speed (unlike Windows or macOS machines) it is mean to make SSD the center stage for memory and move main RAM as more of a disk cache plus scratch pad with the system efficiently moving and unpacking compressed data into RAM multiple times per second or per frame.

Yeah it seems too expensive to keep up the 8x generational RAM increase. But there's mo way you can shift data into DRAM fast enough on a frame for frame basis - even a small fraction (eg 1GB) at 30 fps means you need 30GB/s bandwith .. even Sony's custom solution isn't expected to reach that

I'd be interested to hear what this means for games - as I understand it a 4k texture should be 4x (2x double resolution) the size of a "1080p" one

.. but how does that actually work in practice ..? are current textures actually detailed enough for 4k ? is there a way to cheat on textures ? how much of an average game RAM allocation is texture ? etc etc .....

Last edited:

-kb-

Yeah it seems too expensive to keep up the 8x generational RAM increase. But there's mo way you can shift data into DRAM fast enough on a frame for frame basis - even a small fraction (eg 1GB) at 30 fps means you need 30GB/s bandwith .. even Sony's custom solution isn't expected to reach that

I'd be interested to hear what this means for games - as I understand it a 4k texture should be 4x (2x double resolution) the size of a "1080p" one

.. but how does that actually work in practice ..? are current textures actually detailed enough for 4k ? is there a way to cheat on textures ? how much of an average game RAM allocation is texture ? etc etc .....

I don't think it'll be about shifting data in on a frame by frame basis, but more about reducing the amount of assets you need in memory to only the immediate area and what you are seeing / using in the area. Anything else can be streamed in from the SSD.

xool

PS5 can have 16GB GDDR6 and 4GB DDR4, this would not surprise me knowing Cernys design on PS4Pro.

XBX can have anywhere from 16 to 20GB, duo to 320bit bus (10 2GB chips - 20GB, 8 2GB chips + 2 1GB chips - 18GB for ex.)

I remember the pastebin 16GB GDDR6 and 4GB DDR4 leak .. but does it make sense - for GDDR6 and DDR4 you need two memory controllers on the APU for each type of RAM .. and the price difference vs just 20GB GDDR6 would be pretty small .. plus you get an effective bandwith increase with 20GB GDDR6 assuming the OS wasn't 100%ing it's 'DDR4 allocation' (sketchy don't take literally)

Is the trade price difference between GDDR6 and DDR4 really that big ? The tech really isn't different, just a different interface..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom