• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

44alltheway

Yeah, he didn't. When explicitly asked if they would reveal specs in CES he said there will be one more story in wired and that's all he knows. So, no, he didn't say they would reveal anything at CES.
To me that makes him even less likely to have any insider info. He just says that Sony is gonna drop their specs soon, which could really mean anything. There have been rumors of there being a Sony event in February, would this count as being soon? Or does soon mean something within the next week? I don't know, and most likely neither does he!

Bryank75

Banned
Well I still believes Sony will use both :D
Thankfully each day gets us closer to find out and I can't see it taking much more than a month to get solid numbers.
It would be unbelievable if they could get both crowns but as I say, I will buy it either way.

Reactions: TLZ
One can go with 'most powerful' and the other can claim 'fastest'.
Both strong marketing positions I think....
We for sure know that Sony will have a huge advantage in SSD department over XseX
What if Sony also holds the advantage in raw power.

But at this point i just want to see the GAMES. I'm tired of my PS4 Pro.
I'm tired of the noise.
I'm tired of the low res textures in games.
I'm tired of the handful of NPC's populating a vast open world.
I'm tired of static vegetation.
I'm tired of shitty physics.
I'm tired of low anisotropic filtering.
I'm tired of minutes long load times and supposedly 'Fast travel' within games (I'm looking at you Division 2 installed on anything but an SSD)
I'm tired of a lot of things and i'm starting to play games less and less these days even though my catalogue is over 100 games.

No offence to any developers here but i'm over this generation and keenly waiting what you have to craft for us with components that should body slam the above from the top of the Sears tower.

Last edited:
I don't want to take anything for granted... I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than expect too much.
Either way i'll still get PS5 if it ends up being the one with less raw power. I have too much money invested in the Playstation ecosystem to just bail.

That said the good news here is that WE ALL WIN. Both are going to be close so finally we can discuss the games and not the amount of blades of grass one has over the other.

That Digtial Foundry red dead episode still gives me nightmares

Bryank75

Banned
Either way i'll still get PS5 if it ends up being the one with less raw power. I have too much money invested in the Playstation ecosystem to just bail.

That said the good news here is that WE ALL WIN. Both are going to be close so finally we can discuss the games and not the amount of blades of grass one has over the other.

That Digtial Foundry red dead episode still gives me nightmares
I'm in the same boat, hundreds of digital games, friends, trophies etc.

I'm pretty happy with what is being eluded to but over that would really be incredible along with some great launch games.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The man did message Keighley that he knew about the Xbox console reveal though

But anyone can create a fake message. There's a program for that for mobile phones.

If he actually knew anything, he would've posted it on twitter instead.

For sure for sure. You have the exact specs on XSX SSD AND PS5 SSD implementation?
The exact specs will be made public with the reveal of the console pretty soonish i reckon.

We know Sony has been very tight lipped on the SSD. Also see the Wired article regarding the SSD. Many developers (one of Kleegamefan's Dev sources) and some insiders have refrained from speaking of the SSD at every corner and with some have said its ridiculously fast.
We have another member (supposedly in the know and already vetted by the mods here) on this last few pages who said the same.

I mean is it hard to come to the conclusion that Sony's SSD implementation is rather special?

The exact specs will be made public with the reveal of the console pretty soonish i reckon.

We know Sony has been very tight lipped on the SSD. Also see the Wired article regarding the SSD. Many developers (one of Kleegamefan's Dev sources) and some insiders have refrained from speaking of the SSD at every corner and with some have said its ridiculously fast.
We have another member (supposedly in the know and already vetted by the mods here) on this last few pages who said the same.

I mean is it hard to come to the conclusion that Sony's SSD implementation is rather special?

That sounds great! I can't wait! Can you elaborate on Microsoft's SSD implementation too?

OsirisBlack

Banned
The main course is expensive as hell,
The man did message Keighley that he knew about the Xbox console reveal though

I told you all about it and sony's game several days before the event but people still aren't paying attention.

Before DF or anyone else says anything about it.

The main course is expensive as hell (Michael Pachter isn't right but he aint wrong) it's loud and hot in the kitchen. Little brother is a pain in the ass.

It is almost like the majority of GAF cannot even abide the possibility that the new Xbox might be more powerful than the PS5. Friggin' weird.
If it is, i doubt the gap is as big as the delta between the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. If by some miracle it happens to be, the forums would go nuclear.

Thedtrain

I told you all about it and sony's game several days before the event but people still aren't paying attention.

The main course is expensive as hell (Michael Pachter isn't right but he aint wrong) it's loud and hot in the kitchen. Little brother is a pain in the ass.
Just as I was about to go to bed.
Alright time to decipher...

So are you saying we're getting a PS5 and PS5 Pro release simultaneously?

Pls say yes.

Right, where's my calculator, ruler, pencil and drawing board.

Looks like you 're having a hard time accepting that nothing is confirmed and people just feel like speculating.
Looks like you're having a hard time that people are having a hard time accepting that nothing is confirmed and they're just speculating.
😋

Just kidding mate. Hope you're not offended by my reply. It was meant as a joke.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

lol two ps5s? come on man.

sony isnt releasing a $599 console. not even a pro version.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Either one or both consoles are gonna be $500-$600. Lockhart being the little brother. My interpretation anyway.

You know what ... Fuck it I hear people generally just don't like working for the weaker X console and two of the three machines are hotter than they need to be and one is very loud. Like can be heard across the room loud. Hoping its a early product problem and wont be an issue when they go into mass production. Unless the big boys eat $100 you're looking at a $600 premium console.

Bryank75

Banned

Man, this thread is pure fire.

OsirisBlack's last post really is giving me headaches.

Something about a main course, michael pachter, someone's little brother and a pain in the ass.
What does any of this have to do with games LOL

You know what ... Fuck it I hear people generally just don't like working for the weaker X console and two of the three machines are hotter than they need to be and one is very loud. Like can be heard across the room loud. Hoping its a early product problem and wont be an issue when they go into mass production. Unless the big boys eat $100 you're looking at a $600 premium console.

Give me more!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I wouldn’t think developers would like it going into a brand new gen working on something weaker when they have balls to the wall machines sitting there.

From my time in the past, they didn’t like cross gen either since it stretches resource time and budget constraints.

They did what their bosses told them, but they didn’t like it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
OsirisBlack's last post really is giving me headaches.

Something about a main course, michael pachter, someone's little brother and a pain in the ass.
What does any of this have to do with games LOL
lockhart is series x' little brother. DF has already said devs have told them that its a pain in the ass so osiris is just regurgitating old info despite saying he leaks everything before DF.

PS5 is expensive and powerful. thats about it.

Bryank75

Banned
Anything on the raytracing?

Had a feeling.

LordOfChaos

Reading hotter than they need to be as pushing those GPU clocks for this Tflop war that's been built up far too large in peoples minds.

Given what we know, these seem fairly guessable

SX - hot
PS5 - Hot and loud, given the SX's 'unique' shape should have a lot of room for cooling uninterrupted, if that's the loud one again that's not a good look, plus they gave more priority to silence in the 8th gen already
Lockhart - obvs the weaker X people don't like working on, no questions there

My guesses. I was hoping though that the PS5 dev kit design would carry forward to the console as a massive heatsink that allowed it to operate silently.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

I believe you but could you post your quote before the show brother?

johnjohn

This was my worry for the PS5... Sony doesn't seem to care about console noise. I can't stand loud consoles.

Last edited:
What is Microsoft gonna do with 5 different skus on the market this fall?

Xbox one S
Xbox one X
Xbox one SAD
Xbox series x
xbox Lockhart.

Will Sad, s or x be discontinued or what? Sounds like a huge marketing headache trying to tell shoppers what’s new and what’s not this holiday.

S and X are already gonna be weak compared to Series X, what’s the point of Lockhart if S and X exist?

I guess that would line up with concerns the Navi gpus would be space heaters at high TFs.

I hope if what you say is true there is some efficiencies coming in late and not last minute downclocks.

LordOfChaos

I rather have it costing 800.
If they make it really really powerfull.

People pay 1200 for damn 2 year lasting smartphones.

Sick and tired of these dumb low prices

800 is almost 1200 in Canada with exchange and tax, that's without any extra we might pay on import charges or overcharging in Canada just because, and we're far from the worst off global market in terms of US exchange.

Yeaaahh...I'm down for consoles pushing it a bit, but anything approaching 1K CAD is a psychological barrier for me and I think it would very much slow down adoption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom