• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryank75

Banned
Could PlayStation not just sell a cooling upgrade separate, so the option was there for people that can afford....
A liquid cooling module or something...

gaming_noob

You know what ... Fuck it I hear people generally just don't like working for the weaker X console and two of the three machines are hotter than they need to be and one is very loud. Like can be heard across the room loud. Hoping its a early product problem and wont be an issue when they go into mass production. Unless the big boys eat $100 you're looking at a $600 premium console.

I can only play at night when the kids are sleeping and we live in a small condo. Noise will not be tolerated so Xbox it is...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
800 is almost 1200 in Canada with exchange and tax, that's without any extra we might pay on import charges or overcharging in Canada just because, and we're far from the worst off global market in terms of US exchange.

Yeaaahh...I'm down for consoles pushing it a bit, but anything approaching 1K CAD is a psychological barrier for me and I think it would very much slow down adoption.
Agreed, but at least give some of us an option.
I am ok for a "pro" version to launch day 1.

Cause right now i am building a new pc this year.
When the new team green cards come out.

And i will be skipping the new consoles. If they turn out to be not that impressive.
And end up getting them when the exclusives are there.

joe_zazen

So lockhhart and the requirement that every multiplat game has to run on it is going to fuck the generation? I guess were are stuck with 4tf and what...like 8gb ram as baseline till 2027? MS fucks things up again.

What is the point if having the most powerful console if all gsmes have to run on pos weaker than last gen?

and sony making a loud console sucks but at least that doesnt fuck with multiplats.

vpance

I wonder if Lockhart could be the loud one. Made ultra cheap for the lowest retail pricing possible, with a very small box and cheapo cooling like PS4 Pro.

CyberPanda

Banned
Agreed, but at least give some of us an option.
I am ok for a "pro" version to launch day 1.

Cause right now i am building a new pc this year.
When the new team green cards come out.

And i will be skipping the new consoles. If they turn out to be not that impressive.
And end up getting them when the exclusives are there.
Team Green Card ftw. Ampere 🤝

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You know what ... Fuck it I hear people generally just don't like working for the weaker X console and two of the three machines are hotter than they need to be and one is very loud. Like can be heard across the room loud. Hoping its a early product problem and wont be an issue when they go into mass production. Unless the big boys eat $100 you're looking at a $600 premium console.

Sounds like the weakest one is hotter and louder than it needs to be.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Why is Lockhart a pain in the ass if it's only aiming at 1080p? Is it missing any of the important feature of the other consoles? Like Ray Tracing maybe?

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Cross-gen won't last long, if it does the old consoles are still anchors. Lockhart is probably set to limp through the generation.

lockhart means the whole gen is cross gen, still we’ll get a few games ‘made for next gen‘ games on ps5. The one that will hurt when it comes out though is gtavi. Give rockstar 20-24 gb and 10+tf as baseline.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
It is simply amazing that an entire group of people cannot accept the (strong) possibility that the new Xbox will be significantly more powerful than the PS5.
It is almost like the majority of GAF cannot even abide the possibility that the new Xbox might be more powerful than the PS5. Friggin' weird.

It’s almost like you can’t handle a speculation thread without trying to drum up console war drama.

If this is all you would like to contribute, then scroll on by without hitting post.

Reindeer

I wonder if Lockhart could be the loud one. Made ultra cheap for the lowest retail pricing possible, with a very small box and cheapo cooling like PS4 Pro.
He specifically mentioned "loud and hot in the kitchen" in the same sentence when talking about PS5.

joe_zazen

Why is Lockhart a pain in the ass if it's only aiming at 1080p? Is it missing any of the important feature of the other consoles?
devs decide where to spend resources, it isnt all about resolution. Fewer resources, less things can be done. So if a game has to fit into 8gb memory and run on a cut down gpu, even if it is targeting a lower resolution, sacrifices will be made in design vs designing for a higher baseline.

as an extreme example, a dev could use all 10+ tf and 20+gb ram to make a 1080p game with giant world, lots of physics etc. That game wouldnt work on lockhart.

Last edited:

Reindeer

devs decide where to spend resources, it isnt all about resolution. Fewer resources, less things can be done. So if a game has to fit into 8gb memory and run on a cut down gpu, even if it is targeting a lower resolutin, sacrifices will be made in design vsdesigning for a higher baseline.

as an extreme example, a dev could use all 10+ tf and 20+gb ram to make a 1080p game with giant world, lots of physics etc. That game wouldnt work on lockhart.
Let them cut out content, drop resolution below 1080p and drop assets to low or below that to teach Microsoft a lesson. In no way shape or form should games suffer because Microsoft wants more of a share in the market.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Cross-gen won't last long, if it does the old consoles are still anchors. Lockhart is probably set to limp through the generation.
I'm guessing two years 2020 and 2021 you will see versions of both games out. Then in 2022 no more previous generation versions of games.

LordOfChaos

He never even said the words PS5. He said 2 out of the three run hot and one is loud too. Main course to me indicates XSX.

That shits loud.

Assuming you missed me tagging you for an avatar bet.. PSV > XSEX Squid vs the X for a year?

He said the PS5 was loud before today's posts

There's no doubt
SX = hot
PS5 = hot and loud
Lockhart = the dumb brother people don't like programming for, no reason it wouldn't be the quietest

If the SX with its size and shape were the hot and loud one it would not be a good look, Microsoft also prioritized sound much more than Sony already in the 8th gen.

He's also betting a year of swapped avatars that the PS5 is the more powerful, so it kinda makes sense thermals are hard to manage.

Last edited:

Reindeer

He said the PS5 was loud before this last one too
It's definitely refers to PS5 since Series X was confirmed to be quite and Lockhart is running small 4 tflop GPU.

vpance

He specifically mentioned "loud and hot in the kitchen" in the same sentence when talking about PS5.

He just confirmed my post with the brain emote. Lockhart is the loud one.

Generally it doesn't make sense to be both hot and loud. If you are well then your box really sucks.

joe_zazen

Let them cut out content, drop resolution below 1080p and drop assets to low or below that to teach Microsoft a lesson. In no way shape or form should games suffer because Microsoft wants more of a share in the market.
may very well happen, and might be the reason devs hate working on LH. No one wants to spend their days making crap

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

PS4 base was under 2tf in 2013 and mine was jet engine during killzone and tlou.

With a 28nm APU...Performance per watt going into 2020 on 7nm is very different. Unless they completely bork the Lockhart cooling design, there's no reason it's the loud one.

Besides, he's called the PS5 loud before, in what I linked above

Tarkus98

Well if we are talking $500 to $600 for a ps5 then we are definitely not looking at a 9.2Tflop console.
I’m ok with a reasonable amount of noise, but can be heard from across the room? Fuck me, better be a damn small room.
Anyway, I’m still in the $400 to $500 (max) cost and 12 +/- Tflops camp for ps5. No Pro at release and stacked HBM memory (no clue how much, 16 to 24GB range?).

With a 28nm APU...Performance per watt going into 2020 on 7nm is very different. Unless they completely bork the Lockhart cooling design, there's no reason it's the loud one.

Besides, he's called the PS5 loud before, in what I linked above

Oh I know. Just saying tf number isn’t necessarily indicative of noise level.

Reindeer

Microsoft specifically mentioned that the reason the went with their design for Series X was to cool it and make it quite. If Sony is going with traditional small factor design and are packing 11-12 tflops then it's most likely their console that's the loud one again.

44alltheway

BTW, I think the two hot consoles are obviously Series X and PS5, and the loud one being the PS5 as well. The leaked devkits make it look like a damn vent, so I feel its going to be pretty loud at least for now. Hopefully that is changed by the time of release, but I honestly don't have too much hope considering how both the PS4 and PS4 Pro turned out.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
may very well happen, and might be the reason devs hate working on LH. No one wants to spend their days making crap

From my time at a studio, they didn’t like having to make games on the weaker machines when they had to do cross gen. It held back resources, and every producer and designer in there was saying they can’t wait until they can drop it and put more or all of the resources into the more powerful box.

Now imagine that all gen long instead of the first year or two. This was first party mind you.

Kdad

What is this “Stadia” ? Can I eat it?
4f8.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Microsoft specifically mentioned that the reason the went with their design for Series X was to cool it and make it quite. If Sony is going with traditional small factor design and are packing 11-12 tflops then it's most likely their console that's the loud one again.

Dude, he literally brain reacted the post saying it was Lockhart, which makes sense, it has no business being loud at 4TF.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
there is no single way to cool a console. just because ms went with a cube design doesnt mean it's the only one let alone the best one.

There is no way the PS5 is that loud.

Sony's not stupid. The PS4 and Pro have seen many complain about noise, me included.
Sony has also stated they will be releasing a premium product. Hot and loud does not scream premium to me.

Something is off here.

Last edited:

Reindeer

From my time at a studio, they didn’t like having to make games on the weaker machines when they had to do cross gen. It held back resources, and every producer and designer in there was saying they can’t wait until they can drop it and put more or all of the resources into the more powerful box.

Now imagine that all gen long instead of the first year or two. This was first party mind you.
At least PS5 exclusives won't be held back. Lockhart could really hamper multiplats, but then again devs might it treat it like they're treating Xbox One (720, 25fps) as time goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom