• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberPanda

Banned
This (osiris' info) comes in line with that pastebin which said that ps5 is 'loud as fuck'. The dev kit at least. Hopefully the final product will have better cooling.

But seriously, after the loud ps4 and the complaints about the noise, Sony making an even louder console would be nothing less than a colossal clusterfuck.

Well, time to drill some holes again, I guess. 🤣
I hope they don’t get a RROD type scenario.

This is the weirdest gen for the specs . We don’t get any proper leak from the platform holder like last time .

we get an amd leak Showing ps5 is considerably weaker but yet somehow all the insiders say Ps5 is close or stronger than xsx. How did that happen ? Is Sony really playing 4D chess and send everyone down the rabbit hole of 9.2 TF? how the hell did they manage to do that ?

Last edited:
This is the weirdest gen for the specs . We don’t get any proper leak from the platform holder like last time .

we get an amd leak Showing ps5 is considerably weaker but yet somehow all the insiders say Ps5 is close or stronger than xsx. How did that happen ? Is Sony really playing 4D chess and send everyone down the rabbit hole of 9.2 TF? how the hell did they manage to do that ?

To be fair, the AMD leak didn't actually show anything concrete. It certainly looked like some sort of clock testing in relation to backwards compatibility, but other than that, it didn't necessarily mean that it was current/final PS5 GPU.

To be fair, the AMD leak didn't actually show anything concrete. It certainly looked like some sort of clock testing in relation to backwards compatibility, but other than that, it didn't necessarily mean that it was current/final PS5 GPU.
Yes but everyone like DF ran with it as confirmation and made 9.2 vs 12 videos and articles like it was the final specs

Lort

Banned
Imagine if this were true. Sony about to pull an Xbox One reveal.
If this were true ( which seems unlikely)... could xbox actually win the next generation?

Interestingly this quotes 40 cus but only 7 tf ...if u clock it to 2 gighz you get 10 tf ... which is what they want... maybe this is as it was last year?

This shows Sony being 10 % faster than xbox ... lockhart.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm checking on some pastebins and lol at the guy who says he's a developer and that PS5 is sometimes as strong as the Lockheart.

We managed to squeeze 4k/60fps out of this system with RT enabled in a short period of time.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If this were true ( which seems unlikely)... could xbox actually win the next generation?

Interestingly this quotes 40 cus but only 7 tf ...if u clock it to 2 gighz you get 10 tf ... which is what they want... maybe this is as it was last year?

This shows Sony being 10 % faster than xbox ... lockhart.
Dude the whole thing it’s bs. No console game can be 4K 60 with full ray tracing turned on .
40cu also doesn’t make sense for manufacturing as it means no cus will be off so yields will be horrible

Lort

Banned
Dude the whole thing it’s bs. No console game can be 4K 60 with full ray tracing turned on .
40cu also doesn’t make sense for manufacturing as it means no cus will be off so yields will be horrible

40 cu is 4 more than 36cu which is what every leak says for ps5. Not saying it’s true but #justsaying

40 cu is 4 more than 36cu which is what every leak says for ps5. Not saying it’s true but #justsaying
Navi cu stack is 20 . So 2 stack is 40 which means complete cu count . They need to turn few off so the yield improves for apu. That’s why the whole 40 doesn’t make much sense as it becomes risky to not turn any cu off .
So I would take 40 cu rumors with grain of salt . 36 is much more reasonable than 40 .

Last edited:
I'm checking on some pastebins and lol at the guy who says he's a developer and that PS5 is sometimes as strong as the Lockheart.
Sounds like fanboy shit in this PB. 7.5Tflops for 8K and RT... Yeah, sure. Oh, or maybe it's some of veterans of the industry, how knows.

Last edited:

The Shift

Banned
I primarily play on PC and with a bit of Xbox on the side.

It's feasible the PS5 will be more powerful than the SX simply because gaming for MS is more of a side project than a main pillar of the company.

I just can't see Sony forsaking having the graphics advantage - it's executives and userbase have thrived off of that aspiration every generation since they entered the market. It's basically an ingrained identity of the Playstation brand at this point.

Lort

Banned

It's feasible the PS5 will be more powerful than the SX simply because gaming for MS is more of a side project than a main pillar of the company.

I just can't see Sony forsaking having the graphics advantage - it's executives and userbase have thrived off of that aspiration every generation since they entered the market. It's basically an ingrained identity of the Playstation brand at this point.

The Dreamcast was better than the playstation 1, the xbox was more powerful than the playstation 2, the xbox 360 gpu was way better than the ps3, ... they have said they aim to transition customers fast .. which means cost management not a high end device.

Disagree.

OG Xbox was more powerful than PS2. Yet PS2 crushed it.
Xbox 360 combined power and ease of development to outlcass the PS3. Only towards the end of the gen did the PS3 start to regain ground.

Power is and never was the barometer for success. As proved by the 360's magical first years, content is king. This was repeated by the PS4 which mirrored the 360's ease of use and simpler architecture.

Come next gen, the focus on good compelling content and services, will be highly significant in determines who 'wins' in the end. There's a reason why MS went shopping for game development studios.

The Shift

Banned
The Dreamcast was better than the playstation 1, the xbox was more powerful than the playstation 2, the xbox 360 gpu was way better than the ps3, ... they have said they aim to transition customers fast .. which means cost management not a high end device.
Disagree.

OG Xbox was more powerful than PS2. Yet PS2 crushed it.
Xbox 360 combined power and ease of development to outlcass the PS3. Only towards the end of the gen did the PS3 start to regain ground.

Power is and never was the barometer for success. As proved by the 360's magical first years, content is king. This was repeated by the PS4 which mirrored the 360's ease of use and simpler architecture.

Come next gen, the focus on good compelling content and services, will be highly significant in determines who 'wins' in the end. There's a reason why MS went shopping for game development studios.

Learn to internet you pair of doofuses haha

'it's executives and userbase have thrived off of that aspiration '

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
What are you doing Lort? The Dreamcast was in the gen after PS1, and was released 4 years after it. The Xbox was also released a year and a half after PS2 with more power. So as you can see, both those PS consoles at their release time had good hardware.

The 360 and PS3 is debatable. I honestly don't have much to say about it as all I heard was CELL was hard to develop for.

Proelite

BS.

Lockhart sounds close, but it's <=26CUs.
PS5 GPU is 36CUs, >9TF, ram is 16GB + 2GB DDR4 (OS)
Xsx ram is max 20GB.
AMD ROP count needs to be a power of 2. 96 is not.
All the CPU clocks are too low.

Funny enough, it got the Xsx number of CUs right.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Cant sleep wondering who's going to drop what first. Everyone wins this time around the whole console war thing will never die (I get that) but man this next gen is going to be good.

Are we talking hours or days until solid info from either party? Hope you enjoyed your pool (and beers).

Evilms

Banned
Sony CES 2020 first screen conference :

panel-pic-CES2020-r-l.jpg

Lort

Banned
What are you doing Lort? The Dreamcast was in the gen after PS1, and was released 4 years after it. The Xbox was also released a year and a half after PS2 with more power. So as you can see, both those PS consoles at their release time had good hardware.

The 360 and PS3 is debatable. I honestly don't have much to say about it as all I heard was CELL was hard to develop for.

Lol I been at work ... and had other things on my mind .. I meant to contrast the Dreamcast with the ps2 lol .. anyway they were more equal but different... xbox was after both of them yes but I guess my point was basically Sony hasnt always been the most powerful and its never really mattered.

Beers yes Pool ... not so much got my ass beat tonight. (too many beers). Iv'e been sitting here for about ten minutes trying to figure out how to directly answer your question feel like I'm texting an ex....... type type type delete delete type type delete...... https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/ces

ItsHappeningIsntIt.gif

Osiris, you better be the real deal. I'm going to throw a completely pointless, but world class hissy fit if nothing gets revealed...

Reindeer

Remember the first Playstation was unveiled at the CES 1991 after all. So there's a chance for the PS5.
You talking about original "Play Station" that was supposed to be a colab between Sony and Nintendo, it was supposed to be revealed at CES 1991. Nintendo however backed off and the console wasn't announced at that CES. Sony later reworked the concept completely and showed their console for the first time in 1994.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Who else here thanks that PS5 will be the highest selling console Sony ever made? Granted that they don't have a terrible launch of course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom