• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fake

I think BC will be done with a software layer assisting hw emulation either way.
They still doing a hell of job with software emulation, so no wonder why their next console continue the job. Unless is like those other rumors about PS5 getting a 1.6GZ base clock just to simulate the PS4 hardware for a native BC instead of software.

SonGoku

They still doing a hell of job with software emulation, so no wonder why their next console continue the job. Unless is like those other rumors about PS5 getting a 1.6GZ base clock just to simulate the PS4 hardware for a native BC instead of software.
I dont know much about CPUs but i dont think a downclock will be enough to simulate a Jaguar core, Zen2 cores are so much different i think they'll need a software layer to assist hw emulation
Would be amazing if dynamic rez titles could run at 4k and those with unlocked fps reach locked 60fps/30fps

demigod

No doubt but you have to keep in mind AMD is the one who deserves praise for designing console APUs
Both Sony and MS will aim for the best possible specs at the time of release.

How high is ms willing to sell Xbox and for how much of a loss? The answer to those questions will determine how much more powerful it is.

I don’t see MS willing to lose more than Sony if Sony ends up losing $100 per console. They’ve been buying studios left and right. Why lose millions of dollars on consoles if you’re going the streaming/netflix route?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Sony and MS in real life:
MS_Exec_NadellaSony_CEO_Kenichiro_Yoshida_013_low_res.0.jpg

In this thread:
WestsideGlory2.gif

Gamernyc78

Banned
The most powerful console will come down to the two different price points. Microsoft plans to release two, will be interesting to see if Sony does the same. When you spend $100 more on a console without any Kinect or Move its easier to have the more powerful console. Doesn't matter if its 30% faster or 1% faster it allows the advertising and head space of the most powerful console tag.

Sony has absolutely no need to release two consoles and will not do so. They are eating up sales even when often times the S was cheaper than the ps4 and even with Xbox coming out later with a more powerful console, that has not affected Sony sales one bit. That is a strategy Microsoft is experimenting with to try to gain the ground on sales.

Again as I stated and I guess your agreeing with its all about timing and the price point each want to aim for relative to power that will dictate who has the stronger console.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Even the ps4 was supposed to have 4GB RAM, plans can change. In fact there was nothing special about the X’s GPU over the Pro. So yeah plans can change, go educate yourself.

Actually many games run at higher res than the GPU and CPU dictate... MS implemented the DX commands in hardware... i presume you just dont know what your talking about.. rather than deliberately spreading miss-information.

SonGoku

I don’t see MS willing to lose more than Sony if Sony ends up losing $100 per console. They’ve been buying studios left and right. Why lose millions of dollars on consoles if you’re going the streaming/netflix route?
I agree, Its nots worth it to lose hundreds of dollars to get a considerable power gap, just entertaining the options. Mattyp Mattyp nailed it: Whoever gets the 10-15% perf crown will do it solely for marketing bragging rights even if it amounts to a minuscule resolution difference.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Even the ps4 was supposed to have 4GB RAM, plans can change. In fact there was nothing special about the X’s GPU over the Pro. So yeah plans can change, go educate yourself.

They only doubled it when that kid in Western Australia got his hands on a devkit or released all the files containing to Microsofts plans online? Can't remember exactly which, big news at the time. Think they ended up fully fucking him over in court.

Could of been a very different generation, I don't think we'll be seeing any differences that wide but.

demigod

Actually many games run at higher res than the GPU and CPU dictate... MS implemented the DX commands in hardware... i presume you just dont know what your talking about.. rather than deliberately spreading miss-information.

So what you’re saying is Sony implemented Vulkan commands in hardware hence why base ps4 beats xbox one, sweet thanks for the info!

xool

Also... what if Microsoft somehow managed to get a 16 core Ryzen 2 with lowered clocks but thinking about those 32 threads? I mean the 12 core/24 thread is clocked at 3.8Ghz base/4.6Ghz boost and just 105w...

16core/32thread would need the memory system beefing up - for Ryzen 1950X it's quad channel memory, and the Epyc 16 core parts are 8 channel. I would guess it would totally bottle neck without extra memory - for full quad support that's 4x the price for memory..

I think it would be just too much extra cost

Last edited:
I just saw Coreteks video on YT talking about Zen 2. We've heard and even seen leaked benchmarks of that 16 core Ryzen 2... but it wasn't announced. Still, AMD has a presentation at E3... maybe they'll show it there? Also... what if Microsoft somehow managed to get a 16 core Ryzen 2 with lowered clocks but thinking about those 32 threads? I mean the 12 core/24 thread is clocked at 3.8Ghz base/4.6Ghz boost and just 105w...
The more CPU cores you have, the lower you have to clock them, which yields lower single-threaded performance.

Doesn't sound good, unless all games are multi-threaded and DX12 capable.

They would be better off spending the silicon and tdp budget on a 80-88CU GPU
How high could they clock that beast?

Zen 2 at 1.6 GHz will be 2 times faster (2x IPC) than Jaguar, so it makes no sense.

They only doubled it when that kid in Western Australia got his hands on a devkit or released all the files containing to Microsofts plans online? Can't remember exactly which, big news at the time. Think they ended up fully fucking him over in court.
Western Australia kid? Source?

So what you’re saying is Sony implemented Vulkan commands in hardware hence why base ps4 beats xbox one, sweet thanks for the info!
GPUs do not understand higher-level stuff like DX or Vulkan, they only execute assembly opcodes (just like every other processor in the market).

SonGoku

16core/32thread would need the memory system beefing up - for Ryzen 1950X it's quad channel memory, and the Epyc 16 core parts are 8 channel. I would guess it would totally bottle neck without extra memory - for full quad support that's 4x the price for memory..

I think it would be just too much extra cost
32GB HBM3 AT 2TB/s BELIEVE!
How high could they clock that beast?
That's the beauty of it, you don't need to clock that high with that many CUs
80CUs at 1500Mhz would be 15.3TF
inb4 someone tells me im crazy, im not saying next gen consoles will have 88CUs!

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
So I think that with vapor chamber cooling the next-gen systems should be able to handle at least 16-core CPU with 4-way SMT. Add in a paltry 64GB GDDR6 and at least a 4TB SSD and we'd have I guess an ok next gen. If they don't cheap out like this gen, then we could get some ML and RT chips too.

Lort

Banned
What are you talking about .. .. they only did that on the xbox one x.

“Microsoft done a good bit of forward thinking: high frequency API calls are implemented directly into the GPU’s command processor.”

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I wish folks likes you would stop acting like it all depends on the same release year to have the same specifications. Those things are planned years before. And the pricetag is a choice. Better hardware cost more money, if it isn't still obvious for you.

It is specifically because it came out years later and at a higher price tag that it was able to win the performance crown, but is still getting outsold by PS4 and PS4 Pro and limited by the base Xbox One. Great HW, not incredible and out of this world, and did not change the generation.
Power is one of the many factors, not the only one... your previous statement sounded a bit like “we invented DirectX, do you seriously think we would let them have a 40% performance advantage” 😜.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom