• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imtjnotu

Shit, 8TF, here we go again
722.gif

I'm going to honestly say:

~13TF
20GB total RAM (16GB application + 4GB OS)
1TB SSD (user replaceable)
PS4 BC, with PS2 and PS1 being supported via the store. No disc-based BC for those machines.
PS3 via PS Now.
Dualshock 5 will have the same battery-draining light bar, with the inability to switch off, and the same 2000 mAh battery :pie_invert:

xool

Lisa clearly said Navi uses RDNA. Where'd you get this GCN+ from?

Edit: oh, it's the Sweclockers article from 5 days ago.

AMD Radeon RX 5000 är hybrid med inslag av GCN – "renodlad" RDNA först år 2020

But the Sweclockers article just states it .. no indication of source - is this a reliable site ???

Enligt uppgift till SweClockers är många delar i grafikfamiljen Navi tagna från GCN medan andra, som de nyheter AMD uttryckligen lyft fram, är RDNA.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
13 TFLOPS is roig
I'm going to honestly say:

~13TF
20GB total RAM (16GB application + 4GB OS)
1TB SSD (user replaceable)
PS4 BC, with PS2 and PS1 being supported via the store. No disc-based BC for those machines.
PS3 via PS Now.
Dualshock 5 will have the same battery-draining light bar, with the inability to switch off, and the same 2000 mAh battery :pie_invert:
13TF?

To be clear, you are talking about a GPU as powerful as the 7nm, 300 watt Radeon VII. In a console that will draw maybe 180 watts max for the entire system.

I’ll believe it when I see it. As I have said before, I think you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

I’ll believe it when I see it. As I have said before, I think you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Google Stadia is pushing 10.7TF on a GPU that uses older AMD tech (GCN). The GPU in the PS5 will be using RDNA. According to AMD, RDNA has been developed expressly for gaming. Of course, that doesn't mean that the PS5 might not end up being less powerful than the Stadia in the end. It could be a 9/10TF GPU. I somewhat doubt it, however, as that would be the biggest WTF in recent gaming history.

Also, when I say ~13TF I'm thinking somewhere between 12.6TF and 12.9TF (as previous leaks have suggested).

ethomaz

Banned
No source? No Architecture? No Navi 10 to Navi 20 comparison? No technical proof?

Well it hard to believe in that site’s guesses.

He says Navi has some GCN tech but that is true for all architectures... I can find things used in Rive TNT on both NVidia and AMD GPUs today.

In fact RDNA looks to have bigger changes than Maxwell to Turing for example (and these are two architecture changes).

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Google Stadia is pushing 10.7TF on a GPU that uses older AMD tech (GCN). The GPU in the PS5 will be using RDNA. According to AMD, RDNA has been developed expressly for gaming. Of course, that doesn't mean that the PS5 might not end up being less powerful than the Stadia in the end. It could be a 9/10TF GPU. I somewhat doubt it, however, as that would be the biggest WTF in recent gaming history.

Also, when I say ~13TF I'm thinking somewhere between 12.6TF and 12.9TF (as previous leaks have suggested).
Stadia is going to use rack-mounted servers with loud ass industrial fans cooling it. Consoles have to fit everything into a compact, quiet package that maybe consumes 180W total under full load. The Stadia comparison isn’t really useful.

Power consumption/heat will be the limiting factor for what we can get in a console, and AMD is claiming 1.5x performance per watt improvement for Navi vs Vega.

For you to have a 13TF console, you’d need roughly ANOTHER 50%+ improvement compared to the 225w Navi that was just announced.

Highly doubt it.

Gamernyc78

Banned
599, people would buy it.

I'd buy tht in a heartbeat and won't blink twice. I do understand others don't have that disposable income but if you start saving now it's possible. This shit will give you years upon years of enjoyment. My og ps4 still going strong and my son uses it daily for hours.

I'd buy tht in a heartbeat and won't blink twice. I do understand others don't have that disposable income but if you start saving now it's possible. This shit will give you years upon years of enjoyment. My og ps4 still going strong and my son uses it daily for hours.
Savings? What's that? I'd rather have my daily avocado toast and then whine about console prices, all while making posts from my $1000 iPhone! :goog_beaming_face:

FranXico

Well, if I start saving now, by the time it comes out I can buy a really nice PC.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol hey how about 800 Samsung galaxies!!! lol

But very true, ppl complain about console prices yet give a heart, lung and their rent money to get a new phone every year.

But, it is subsidized in the monthly cell phone bill bringing it to $80-$100+ every month, for years.

Which is why if you put away that $25-$35 a month now into 'next-gen savings', you would have a good portion into the cost when they release.

Last edited:

FranXico

Lol hey how about 800 Samsung galaxies!!! lol

But very true, ppl complain about console prices yet give a heart, lung and their rent money to get a new phone every year.
That's because consoles are still thought of as toys. That puts an arbritrary ceiling on what they could be worth.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Well, if I start saving now, by the time it comes out I can buy a really nice PC.

That too is always an option. I myself can afford a relatively mid range 2,000-2500 gaming computer and not break bank but I'm too invested in the Sony ecosystem and their stellar exclusives, it just wouldn't make sense for me. As it is I have a big backlog of games on my ps4 and psvr 😐

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
But, it is subsidized in the monthly cell phone bill bringing it to $80-$100+ every month, for years.

Which is why if you put away that $25-$35 a month now into 'next-gen savings', you would have a good portion into the cost.

Not always and not mine. I have boost mobile which allows me to have a 40 dollar monthly bill with unlimited everything but I buy my phone up front and cash, it is the trade off.

But you are right I think most are probably subsidized. But I do know ppl that don't make that much money and will go spend 300 on a belt or hand bag lol and won't blink an eye.

That"s because consoles are still thought of as toys. That puts an arbritary ceiling on what they could be worth.
I'd argue most people use smartphones as an Instagram/FB toy, not a Forex tool.

Either way, consoles are cheaper than ever before. Younger generations don't know what it feels like to pay $1200 (inflation-adjusted) for a console (like 3DO and Neo Geo, let alone NG cartridges!)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not always and not mine. I have boost mobile which allows me to have a 40 dollar monthly bill with unlimited everything but I buy my phone up front and cash, it is the trade off.

But you are right I think most are probably subsidized. But I do know ppl that don't make that much money and will go spend 300 on a belt or hand bag lol and won't blink an eye.

I am just saying the excuse people use. I should have put it in quotes.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Either way, consoles are cheaper than ever before. Younger generations don't know what it feels like to pay $1200 (inflation-adjusted) for a console (like 3DO and Neo Geo, let alone NG cartridges!)

But I don't think ppl still look at consoles as toys besides grandparents. On a daily you have rappers like Drake, football stars, baseball, basketball, soccer etc talking about how they game and some stream. Games like 2, Fifa, Fortnite, etc are very popular amongst famous sports stars and adults in general. Not to mention based on statistics adults make up the majority of gamers.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Shit, I didn't get the first NES until way late (88-89?) when it came down to the $99-$129 price point, and even then my mother had to put it on layaway. Shit was expensive back then. And good luck buying games. 1 or 2 a year if lucky. You lived and died by mom and pop rentals.

The tradeoff was, I had my uncle's C64 he sold my mom cheap when he got the C128 for years before with hundreds of games and self taught with books to program.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

from the way it looks, going by phones and other tech, sony has one year to finalize hardware and start production by next summer. so any specs or anything you see that is supposedly finalized is not true

TLZ

Banned
They'd tell you they're "socializing" ;)

When all they do is either post about themselves or find something to rage about, both revolve around attention seeking.

But I don't think ppl still look at consoles as toys besides grandparents. On a daily you have rappers like Drake, football stars, baseball, basketball, soccer etc talking about how they game and some stream. Games like 2, Fifa, Fortnite, etc are very popular amongst famous sports stars and adults in general. Not to mention based on statistics adults make up the majority of gamers.
I don't know about your surroundings and culture, but believe me it's still looked at that way in many places. I still hide (cover) mine when guests come over. I don't want that stigma hovering over me. People love talking shit. It's not right, but I'd rather stay away from all that and keep it to myself than having to deal with shitty looks and backbiting.

Shit, I didn't get the first NES until way late (88-89?) when it came down to the $99-$129 price point, and even then my mother had to put it on layaway. Shit was expensive back then. And good luck buying games. 1 or 2 a year if lucky. You lived and died by mom and pop rentals.

The tradeoff was, I had my uncle's C64 he sold my mom cheap when he got the C128 for years before with hundreds of games and self taught with books to program.
Heh. Almost similar story re NES. I got my Famicom in '90, when SNES was released. Like, imagine buying a PS4 next year, right after the PS5 is released. And all I had to play with until '90 was my Atari 2600. Ugh.

I was lucky my friend had a SNES that I played a lot, which he also lent me a good number of times, which was very cool of him.

Last edited:

SonGoku

will be the next-gen Arcturus one
Arcturus is the first GPU AMD started after going back to using code names, its likely Vega or Navi10
Im calling it now: PS5 will use the full fat RDNA arch with at least 56CUs enabled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom