• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJY

Banned
I would like to say and directly (no riddles) the newest information I got was that both of these systems are Close, Close enough to be twins just not identical. The biggest differences will be custom features and things like playing PS4 games with no load times or terrain pop in. Have to admit my tech knowledge is baffled at how the SSD will remove terrain pop in but I cannot wait to see it.

I was playing GTSport for the first time earlier and noticed the scenery popping in and out. I wondered to myself whether it's just aggressive culling in the GTS engine for the popout, and maybe it's the slow HD causing the scenery pop in. I also wondered if upgrading my Pro with an SSD would resolve any of that pop-in. I'm guessing not, because it would make more sense for the track to be loaded into memory, but if it's actually streamed from the drive, then an SSD would probably improve the pop-in.

The LOD jumps are also super jarring. Logos and windshield wipers popping in, reflections on side mirrors. Was not expecting that at all.

LED Guy?

Banned
I would like to say and directly (no riddles) the newest information I got was that both of these systems are Close, Close enough to be twins just not identical. The biggest differences will be custom features and things like playing PS4 games with no load times or terrain pop in. Have to admit my tech knowledge is baffled at how the SSD will remove terrain pop in but I cannot wait to see it.
So the GitHub 9.2 TF leak is wrong? Amazing then!

OK can you tell if the PS5 reveal is in February? If you can...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
An analogy came to my mind out of the blue:
In the world of consoles Playstations are iPhones and Xboxes are Androids. Sony is Apple and Microsoft is kind of Samsung. Does this make sense in any way?

*I should mention that I am a bit high
Nintendo are apple
If we doing analogies

Hulk-Hogan-WWE-Crown-Jewel-645x370.jpg
triple-h.jpg
29b7c-15698449409334-500.jpg

Last edited:
Just because you can raise clock speeds doesn't mean that you should. Also it would probably be best to release conservative see what happens when millions of consoles are in peoples homes then raise clock speeds if needed through firmware patches. No one wants another RROD situation.

What I'm not understanding there though is that somehow MS are conservative enough to push the clocks that low but Sony is bold enough to push theirs so high. When through PS4 (especially Pro) and the X we saw the Pro being the loud one out of the two with a lesser cooling solution.

So it's just weird to me not so much if Sony had a giant leap in cooling solution to push PS5 GPU clocks above 1900MHz, but that MS has somehow devolved their cooling solution to clock XSX's GPU so low. That part is what sticks out to me, even knowing the larger chip is going to draw more power even if its clocked the same as the smaller chip.

Personally I think they'd probably go with 1650MHz at lowest, but I guess we'll see. Appreciate the input as usual tho.

Last edited:
What I'm not understanding there though is that somehow MS are conservative enough to push the clocks that low but Sony is bold enough to push theirs so high. When through PS4 (especially Pro) and the X we saw the Pro being the loud one out of the two with a lesser cooling solution.

So it's just weird to me not so much if Sony had a giant leap in cooling solution to push PS5 GPU clocks above 1900MHz, but that MS has somehow devolved their cooling solution to clock XSX's GPU so low. That part is what sticks out to me, even knowing the larger chip is going to draw more power even if its clocked the same as the smaller chip.

Personally I think they'd probably go with 1650MHz at lowest, but I guess we'll see. Appreciate the input as usual tho.
I think that pushing the clocks is their only real option.
If I was to guess, I think that Sony was thinking of launching PS5 last year like alot of the rumours were saying. They then decided not to, but had already sunk their money into a 36CU, 8.xtflop APU. Stadia came out at over 10, and MS heavily rumoured to be 12tflops.
So the cheapest fix was to
A) Increase the clocks to the max (2.0ghz).
B) Use all 40CUs on their die and accept a higher cost per unit due to failures.
Now while there will be a higher % of non usable dies off the wafer, the APU is smaller than the XSX and so they will get more APUs off a wafer than MS does on theirs. So it might work out to be the same cost per die in the end as MS.

Well, that's my guess anyway.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Agree with all of this and even first party PS5 games can also have that no load times as well as the Sony SSD is special.

I would guess anyhow :)

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Now when we say twins we love them both apparently but there deff is a......difference....amongst those twins. Out of the twins you heard which one would you say would be.....stronger....put of the two little guys. Whose kicking more at birth so to speak.

james-franco-interview-eminem-confused-reaction-1421104858t.gif

Last edited:

Thank you kind sir, you're a gentleman and a scholar!

Not really if anyone has played the word of mouth game its pretty easy for things to get lost in translation.

The numbers I have heard are all super close to what I am seeing posted, our numbers don't have to exactly match.

I think

I'm having trouble reconciling your thoughts versus claims from Osiris and Klee. I get that they're close, but I would think it's fairly straightforward to pick which one has the advantage. So either Osiris and Klee or wrong, or you're wrong. Obviously it's all speculation and guesses - but what are your thoughts on that?

To clarify - not having a go. Just curious how you've arrived at your guess versus what Klee/Osiris seem to be suggesting.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I would totally replay Days Gone again if the insanely long load times are gone.

AGRacing

I think that pushing the clocks is their only real option.
If I was to guess, I think that Sony was thinking of launching PS5 last year like alot of the rumours were saying. They then decided not to, but had already sunk their money into a 36CU, 8.xtflop APU. Stadia came out at over 10, and MS heavily rumoured to be 12tflops.
So the cheapest fix was to
A) Increase the clocks to the max (2.0ghz).
B) Use all 40CUs on their die and accept a higher cost per unit due to failures.
Now while there will be a higher % of non usable dies off the wafer, the APU is smaller than the XSX and so they will get more APUs off a wafer than MS does on theirs. So it might work out to be the same cost per die in the end as MS.

Well, that's my guess anyway.

This has been said in passing but is well worth repeating because many are not taking it at all into consideration. Not all teraflops are equal. Stadia uses a GPU based on Vega , not RDNA1 or RDNA2.

If , for example, both machines exactly matched the Stadia “10.7TF” number - but Console A was a RDNA1 based GPU and Console B was RDNA2 based....

Console B Fastest
Console A Middle
Stadia Slowest

All 3 of them technically “10.7 teraflops”

So without knowing if these chips exactly match feature sets and efficiency of RDNA1 or RDNA2 or some custom hybrid of each... we don’t really know “real world performance.”

And that doesn’t even take into consideration any changes that may be outside either architecture.... like changes that Microsoft or Sony may make themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom