• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLZ

Banned
how is ps5 slightly better than xfridge (assuming its 12.2 TFLOPS) , if from orisblack ps5 is 11.4 TFLOPS ?!!!
Because Xbox SX is 12.2 GCN TF!

giphy.gif

Joking, I am. Obvious, if not.

PS5 having *slightly* more TFLOPS, better SSD. ray tracing implementation, and even more RAM (16 GB for games as oppose to 13 GB), more exclusives.,....
Nothing about it seems like they are twins.

uhhhh yah, Microsoft you better have zen 3, HBM 2, RDNA 2.0 with SSD 7g/sec, USB 4.0 or something up your sleeve. Please surprise me :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:
If that is true, man that's gonna suck for Microsoft.

For what it's worth, I think OsirisBlack OsirisBlack clearly has some information. However I'm careful to treat this stuff with a healthy dose of skepticism.
The scenario where PS5 has more TFLOPS, better SSD, and a (rumored) better RT solution ... Means that Microsoft has been outplayed on multiple levels OR we don't know something, whether that be price of 'secret sauce' related (if such a thing exists).

I know Microsoft stuffed up the XB1 launch. However I find it hard to believe they've been outplayed on specs given their focus and messaging on the topic of power. It doesn't line up for me and I think we're missing something. Either that or Sony is ready eat a bigger loss than MS can stomach.

Either way it sounds like we're getting two consoles that are very capable.

StrongGuy

For what it's worth, I think OsirisBlack OsirisBlack clearly has some information. However I'm careful to treat this stuff with a healthy dose of skepticism.
The scenario where PS5 has more TFLOPS, better SSD, and a (rumored) better RT solution ... Means that Microsoft has been outplayed on multiple levels OR we don't know something, whether that be price of 'secret sauce' related (if such a thing exists).

I know Microsoft stuffed up the XB1 launch. However I find it hard to believe they've been outplayed on specs given their focus and messaging on the topic of power. It doesn't line up for me and I think we're missing something. Either that or Sony is ready eat a bigger loss than MS can stomach.

I agree, but you also have to consider that SONY would be a far more valuable customer than Microsoft's Xbox division for a lot of hardware suppliers due to far greater volume. Maybe it's not Microsoft getting outsmarted but more like SONY getting better parts for a cheaper price.

I agree, but you also have to consider that SONY would be a far more valuable customer than Microsoft's Xbox division for a lot of hardware suppliers due to far greater volume. Maybe it's not Microsoft getting outsmarted but more like SONY getting better parts for a cheaper price.

Volume deals are a thing but we're talking incremental cost/savings. I don't think this would be a significant factor in the final specs for each console.

LED Guy?

Banned
PS5 having *slightly* more TFLOPS, better SSD. ray tracing implementation, and even more RAM (16 GB for games as oppose to 13 GB), more exclusives.,....
Nothing about it seems like they are twins.

uhhhh yah, Microsoft you better have zen 3, HBM 2, RDNA 2.0 with SSD 7g/sec, USB 4.0 or something up your sleeve. Please surprise me :messenger_loudly_crying:
Yeah I do not think there will be differences between those 2 at all, maybe a little bit....like:

PS5:
12.6 RDNA TFlops.
16GB GDDR6.
8 cores 16 threads at 3.2 GHz.

Xbox Series X:
12.1 RDNA TFlops.
16 GB GDDR6.
8 cores 16 threads at 3.5 GHz.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Don't use reason lol ppl here think Microsoft gaming division has a trillion to spend bcus the company is worth tht and you know there diff and don't have budget projections for each dept 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Yeah I do not think there will be differences between those 2 at all, maybe a little bit....like:

PS5:
12.6 RDNA TFlops.
16GB GDDR6.
8 cores 16 threads at 3.2 GHz.

Xbox Series X:
12.1 RDNA TFlops.
16 GB GDDR6.
8 cores 16 threads at 3.5 GHz.

That would be a neutral gamers wet dream. I highly doubt it though.

StrongGuy

Don't use reason lol ppl here think Microsoft gaming division has a trillion to spend bcus the company is worth tht and you know there diff and don't have budget projections for each dept 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Yeah, the theory that the Xbox division had access to 100s of billions of dollars was just delusional fanboy nonsense. It's highly likely that the Xbox division has the lowest funding its ever had in its existence, and higher quality parts just wouldn't fit in their small budget.

Last edited:

johnjohn

Could you link me a post? curious.
It's a few posts in the Xbox first party thread.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm having trouble reconciling your thoughts versus claims from Osiris and Klee. I get that they're close, but I would think it's fairly straightforward to pick which one has the advantage. So either Osiris and Klee or wrong, or you're wrong. Obviously it's all speculation and guesses - but what are your thoughts on that?

To clarify - not having a go. Just curious how you've arrived at your guess versus what Klee/Osiris seem to be suggesting.

No worries I don’t mind people questioning my thoughts.

I know I am kind of on an island with my picks and I may very well have them backwards.

I don’t mind if I am wrong and honestly being a Sony guy first I almost hope I am.

LED Guy?

Banned
I think this is the post that was before the last one, this is moments before he got banned (he requested the ban).

As you guys can see here, he said "Nothing has changed" based on what he said so far.

bccl525.png

Last edited:

GermanZepp

I know shit about tech, dont know who is going to be the most powerful, but i really really think that ps5 is going to be the same price as xbox or cheaper. Most expensive not a chance. I remember Shu talking about the moment MS revealed the price of xone and how they almost lose their minds of joy.

So in my head the stages are: PS5 less power better pricing.($399 vs $499) or PS5 equal pricing with marginal better spcecs and they eat some cost.

Thanks 😊

Orisis Black dm me lets bet accounts on whose is more powerful. No more make pretend. Until i get dms, not returning until the news is final. Hint, 12 wins the race. See ya all as soon as its official. Its a promise

Last edited:

Technically Sony could have an advantage in all those areas but it's minor enough that it will make little difference in real world results. Also the CPU count could be clocked higher on Series X to further mitigate the difference.

I'm just guessing though.

No really, I'm actually guessing

Y'all need to pay more attention.

While Osiris claimed PS5 is slightly edging out the SeX he also insinuated the SeX has a much better and much quieter cooling solution, at least with the devkits he's got information about.

He just said a couple pages ago MS have much more headroom for upping clocks. If he is accurate it would seem MS current choice of clocks along with its design are conservative for any number of reasons while Sony's are pushing the limits of its current cooling/case design. This leaves MS in a position to easily up specs if need be while maybe not so much for Sony.

It's in both companies interest to not reveal their hand too soon so they don't end up in a spec war trying to one up each other in clocks to the point their designs are strained. Not to mention, higher clocks, lower yields, more inconsistent perf across the population.

If the rumors are true don't be surprised to see MS bump the clocks to take the GPU perf crown, but they won't do it until they have to.

Either way, I hope they are true, I also hope they both end up with fast SDDs despite the rumors pointing to an advantage one way. The more homogeneous the consoles the better all games will be.

ethomaz

Banned
My faith in i343 doing a good Halo is near 0.
I hope they can surprise me.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Y'all need to pay more attention.

While Osiris claimed PS5 is slightly edging out the SeX he also insinuated the SeX has a much better and much quieter cooling solution, at least with the devkits he's got information about.

He just said a couple pages ago MS have much more headroom for upping clocks. If he is accurate it would seem MS current choice of clocks along with its design are conservative for any number of reasons while Sony's are pushing the limits of its current cooling/case design. This leaves MS in a position to easily up specs if need be while maybe not so much for Sony.

It's in both companies interest to not reveal their hand too soon so they don't end up in a spec war trying to one up each other in clocks to the point their designs are strained. Not to mention, higher clocks, lower yields, more inconsistent perf across the population.

If the rumors are true don't be surprised to see MS bump the clocks to take the GPU perf crown, but they won't do it until they have to.

Either way, I hope they are true, I also hope they both end up with fast SDDs despite the rumors pointing to an advantage one way. The more homogeneous the consoles the better all games will be.

Everybody for months have been insinuating Microsoft will up clock's but thts easier said then done. Last thing Microsoft wants is to take a chance in having another rrod scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom