• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mriverz

Where does this "verona" devkit leak comes from? I've seen people talking about it but don't find anything.

its been tossed out very lightly im looking for the stuff now. But remember the ps5 dev kit leaks. Both of em was the same but different in a way. Guessing that would add more claim to it

DJ12

Putting aside spec difference, you’re out of your mind if you think the pro is built in ANY way better than the X. Come on, pick a side of you must, but that’s crazy talk. Cooling wise the X beats the pro hands down, without even a contest.
Like I said the pros Apu runs way cooler than Xbox one X. This is fact confirmed by Google and Google knows all.

Nothing to do with the build quality or personal preference (water cooled pc by the way thanks for asking) but just cold or in the xboxs case slightly warm, facts.

its no big deal I choose to run my pc slightly warmer and have the fans barely audible, but I can also crank the fans up and run it much cooler. It's a choice but cooler is always better for the system if not my ears.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I'm sure Osiris dev source told him to release a number that is slightly off. But him saying it's under 12 as of Nov is unique, which is interesting.

Yeah none of them are giving exact numbers, tht would be stupid. But as long as we know what to expect and knowing it's double digits is relieving.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Like I said the pros Apu runs way cooler than Xbox one X. This is fact confirmed by Google and Google knows all.

Nothing to do with the build quality or personal preference (water cooled pc by the way thanks for asking) but just cold or in the xboxs case slightly warm, facts.

That’s all well and good but modern gpus are built to take high end heat. The 2080ti for example pumps out over 80 before throttling. You would EXPECT a much more powerful machine to run hotter, even more so when it’s performing higher tasks.

As for the lower temp of the Pro, again you would expect lower temps there compared to the X. But the machine sounds like it’s about to take off.

I can get my 2080ti running at 30-40 tops when it’s running the latest games in 4k, and it does it quite happily, but I have to stick every pc fan on max. And then it sounds awful.

The X was built to run at a set temp with no thermal issues and be quiet. The pro... not so much. So while I understand what you’re saying, I really I don’t think it’s the same thing.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Prospero was 12 tflops.

Verona is PS5's final form. 14 tflops. To be revealed on Valentine's Day February 14th. Verona is the city where Romeo and Juliet is set.

Or it could be based on the 'Two Gentlemen of Verona' which according to wikipedia is the weakest Shakespeare play with the smallest cast of any play by Shakespeare. This could only mean one thing. 36 CUs 8 tflops. weakest console sony has ever built and sony is naming their devkits to send out hints in advance.

Mriverz

Prospero was 12 tflops.

Verona is PS5's final form. 14 tflops. To be revealed on Valentine's Day February 14th. Verona is the city where Romeo and Juliet is set.

Or it could be based on the 'Two Gentlemen of Verona' which according to wikipedia is the weakest Shakespeare play with the smallest cast of any play by Shakespeare. This could only mean one thing. 36 CUs 8 tflops. weakest console sony has ever built and sony is naming their devkits to send out hints in advance.
IM 💀 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Brudda26

PS5 really holding it back if that’s PC footage. Makes you wonder how powerful it truly is.
How do you come to conclusion ps5 is holding it back? It was for a internal presentation considering it was a year old presentation aswell so it's an alpha build. They even mention in the tweet they cant wait to show you how far the game has come. But the first thing you assume is if it looks like that on PC the ps5 version is holding it back...

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Prospero was 12 tflops.

This has just as much of a chance at being right as anything else tbh.

When will HL3 get brought into this?

TLZ

Banned
I love OsirisBlack OsirisBlack contributions here.

Its all in fun with juicy info actually in there.

Thing is, imo, he puts a lot of thought in these riddles to make them very easy yet people way over analyze them.

It will all be over soon.

A little informal poll.

How upset will the natives be if we only get a State of Play showing the PS5 box with a few game demos here in Feb then a full reveal closer to E3?
Definitely ok with that, but need specs to go with it. I just want to put all this specs speculation to sleep.

Imtjnotu

Where does this "verona" devkit leak comes from? I've seen people talking about it but don't find anything.
from the other place

Prototype #2 Verona devkit name popped up again.

# PS5 DevKit 2 DVKT-OB000SF-02 Verona

- CPU: x86 8 cores, 16 threads @ 3240mhz
- GPU: RNDA 12.4 TF @ 1614mhz
- RAM: 18GB GDDR6 @ 576GB/s
- I/O: 2TB SSD @ ~4.5GB/s

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
from the other place

came from 4chan actually. some guy just copied and pasted that in pastebin a day later iirc.

Imtjnotu

Sony probably has 10 days to send invites for February to make sense. I guess they would want give heads up to journalists at least 3 weeks.
if we go by the ps4 meeting, Invites sent on the 30th/31st of JAN for a FEB 20th meeting

tomorrow would be the date to send out invites for the 5th
or Next Wednesday would be the day to send them out for the 12th. only reason im using those dates is because those are the only dates coming from the rumors

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

McHuj

Last time they sent invites Jan 31st for a Feb 20th meeting.

Due to GDC, i don't think they would have a reveal in March, too busy for developers probably.

I still think February will be the month, but the closer we get to February without an announcement, the higher the possibility of April/May. And even though Sony isn't going to E3, I think they'll wan to let the publisher talk freely about their upcoming games for holidays at E3 so it will happen before then.

Could it be possible that the games we have seen delayed; FF7, Cyberpunk etc, have been delayed because they are having to use resources to create trailers for the PS5/XSX reveal?

Ellery

Rememer that leaks of the Devkits are leaks of the Devkits and not leaks about the final product. Devkits are always different. Sometimes they have much stronger hardware or much more storage for various reasons.

A PS5 with the specs of that Verona Devkit leak would be absolutely bonkers. 2TB NVME SSD alone is 220$+

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm keeping my thoughts on 44-52 to PS5 and 52-56 CUs for XSX.

Oh it can't be 60 per RDNA? I don't think there's a limit like that. GCN had a very low limit but that's not the case with RDNA I believe?
source.gif

Oh..
Something must be happening soon, Shopto are taking Pre-orders for PS5.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
Rememer that leaks of the Devkits are leaks of the Devkits and not leaks about the final product. Devkits are always different. Sometimes they have much stronger hardware or much more storage for various reasons.

A PS5 with the specs of that Verona Devkit leak would be absolutely bonkers. 2TB NVME SSD alone is 220$+

Seriously, why so many people compare retail prices when talking about consoles?

Do you think that Sony orders their parts from amazon or what?

What consumer pays is probably 2-5x more than what big companies with huge volume pay

McHuj

from the other place

- CPU: x86 8 cores, 16 threads @ 3240mhz
- GPU: RNDA 12.4 TF @ 1614mhz
- RAM: 18GB GDDR6 @ 576GB/s
- I/O: 2TB SSD @ ~4.5GB/s

I think what doesn't make sense here is the 18GB of RAM. On a 256-bit bus, this would imply you have a couple of 3 GB chips which don't exists.

The best way I could make that math work would be a 384-bit bus with 6 2GB chips and 6 1GB chips @ 12 Gbps. Which would actually be the slowest GDDR6 you can buy now, but also least power hungry. And if the retail console does cut down CU's, maybe... 54 CU @1600 puts it at 11+ TF.

Mriverz

How does the 4tf lockhart compare to the 6tf x1x?

if we are going by the rumors of it being navi and so on

Last edited:

Ellery

Seriously, why so many people compare retail prices when talking about consoles?

Do you think that Sony orders their parts from amazon or what?

What consumer pays is probably 2-5x more than what big companies with huge volume pay

As for your question. No I do not think that. I am well aware that Sony buys in bulk and pays a fraction per unit of what consumers pay for a singular item.

But I also know that for Sony money goes to other places aswell. The SSD itself might be way less, but you have to factor in other costs.

Let me ask you a few questions. What do you think are the exact specifications of the retail PS5, how much storage space does it have, what are your thoughts on the Verona Devkit leak in regards to the retail product and how much do you think will the PS5 cost when it comes out later this year?

Shin

Banned
I think what doesn't make sense here is the 18GB of RAM. On a 256-bit bus, this would imply you have a couple of 3 GB chips which don't exists.

1GB chips in clamshell --> 18GB, 3 on each side of the chip, 1 way left open for wiring, bus is also halved that way otherwise it would have been 512-bit, 32Gb/s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom