• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fake

Thats what I figured but number wise. What would a 4tf navi be in gcn?
5700XT-Gains-Over-Vega-640x296.jpg

Maybe 6~8

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Seriously, why so many people compare retail prices when talking about consoles?

Do you think that Sony orders their parts from amazon or what?

What consumer pays is probably 2-5x more than what big companies with huge volume pay
This is so true.
I know this is from a totally different area, but when I was working in a supermarket 20 years ago, One day I was looking at stock of a specific canned tuna in the computer system , that we sold for 1.20€ per can, and entered the distributor order page/menu by mistake and saw that we were buying it at 0.13€ per can.

Ellery

This is so true.
I know this is from a totally different area, but when I was working in a supermarket 20 years ago, One day I was looking at stock of a specific canned tuna in the computer system , that we sold for 1.20€ per can, and entered the distributor order page/menu by mistake and saw that we were buying it at 0.13€ per can.

Do you believe Sony can buy any of those parts in the PS5 that actually matter (RAM/CPU/GPU/STORAGE) for 1/10th of the actual cost consumers pay?

Shin

Banned
Do you believe Sony can buy any of those parts in the PS5 that actually matter (RAM/CPU/GPU/STORAGE) for 1/10th of the actual cost consumers pay?
He doesn't have to think, it's a fact.
I've worked in sale all my life and can tell you it's the same here as well, retailers get the biggest cut probably.
They need to pay for man power, storage, etc etc etc, buying directly from the supplier makes all the difference.

Reactions: TLZ

bitbydeath

Ellery

He doesn't have to think, it's a fact.
I've worked in sale all my life and can tell you it's the same here as well, retailers get the biggest cut probably.
They need to pay for man power, storage, etc etc etc, buying directly from the supplier makes all the difference.

I know all this. We are talking about something besides groceries here though. Of course buying groceries in bulk for a store is cheaper, because those things expire and have a much lower cost per weight so transportation gets relatively speaking more expensive since you move more volume/weight but for lesser money.

Also anecdotes are not facts.

Also since you are in retail. Can you hook me up with an RTX 2080 Ti? You can get those for 120$ can't you? I mean Nvidia is selling them for 1200$, but I bet your store can just buy them for 120$ and then sell them. Come on man I give you 150$ for it so you can make 30$.

Ellery

Up to 80CU’s is possible, if this rumour is true.

index.php

That would be insane and pretty cool. I wonder how much power that bad boy draws. Probably 300W TDP easily

DJ12

The X was built to run at a set temp with no thermal issues and be quiet. The pro... not so much. So while I understand what you’re saying, I really I don’t think it’s the same thing.
So ultimately, you are saying because MS made a better choice for the consumer, that makes their cooling system "better"

Not sure that's how it works, but each to their own.

Lets not forget though, that it's basically a copy of the PS3/PS4 fan design with a vapour chamber rather than heat pipes..........

MARTYWOLF

Hey guys i think we have verification on PS5 AND XBOX SERIES X using phison

Notice the playstation render

That was released yesterday and i have a linkedin user that worked on the scarlett ssd and that verifys it too

" • Designed flagship PS5016-E16, world's first PCIe Gen4x4 NVMe SSD solution, and PS5019-E19, DRAM-less PCIe Gen4x4 NVMe SSD installed in Xbox Scarlett by hosting scrum ceremonies as scrum master. Integrated the development of project standards, procedures and quality objectives across with 2 cross-functional teams"

I wont share linkedin profile as i dont wanna shine light on anyone

Ellery

So you know all that yet disputing what exactly?

The extend of your knowledge involving what Sony has to pay for the parts they put in their console.

If you however are responsible for buying parts in bulk for Sony ready for assembling the PS5 then I do have to apologize.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
5700XT-Gains-Over-Vega-640x296.jpg

Maybe 6~8
according to Richard's tests, navi flops are 50% faster than the base x1 flops. and only 25% faster than polaris flops. so while 4 navi tflops might be equivalent to 6 gcn 1.0 tflops, it will only be equal to 5 polaris tflops. less than the x1x.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Drop my predictions

PS Meeting date revealed - 5th February
PS Meeting - 26th February

PS Meeting Games
- Horizon 2
- Ratchet and Clank Sequel
- Assassin's Creed Sequel
- EA Sports (No footage)
- Activision (No Game Reveal, just talk)
- Capcom New IP (Next Gen RE Engine)
- Team Siren New IP (Open World)
- Arrowhead Games New IP (PSN Digital Game)
- Unreal Tech Demo
- Control PS5 Enhanced Footage (Ray Trace) (Free Patch) (Backwards Compatibility Showcase)

Soadi

That was released yesterday and i have a linkedin user that worked on the scarlett ssd and that verifys it too

" • Designed flagship PS5016-E16, world's first PCIe Gen4x4 NVMe SSD solution, and PS5019-E19, DRAM-less PCIe Gen4x4 NVMe SSD installed in Xbox Scarlett by hosting scrum ceremonies as scrum master. Integrated the development of project standards, procedures and quality objectives across with 2 cross-functional teams"

Didn't Phison already publicly stated on twitter that they are not suppliying Sony next-gen?

Shin

Banned

fba0f87c3d.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
I cant find the tweet so if someone could repost it here that would be awesome, but at a minimum its whats in sxs
It is no tweet... it is a news article based in Phison reply about the subject.
They only deny supplying PS5.

Last edited:

Soadi

I cant find the tweet so if someone could repost it here that would be awesome, but at a minimum its whats in sxs
Phison has denied supplying Sony with SSDs for PS5, but have not denied that they are supplying Microsoft, for what thats worth.
Found it (no tweet, mb).

Last edited:

xPikYx

Two year old internal trailer and a 24fps cinematic trailer of hellblade which isnt representative of gameplay. You shouldn't be judging next gen on either of these.
And you should read what people write properly, Hellblade 2 looks what somebody EXPECT from a next gen game in terms of image quality and quality of the assets. all the rest does not involve the discussion, I speak in mere image quality terms, you can take a screenshot if you like or a CGI movie or a tech demo, I talk about expectation

Shin

Banned
The extend of your knowledge involving what Sony has to pay for the parts they put in their console.
If you however are responsible for buying parts in bulk for Sony ready for assembling the PS5 then I do have to apologize.

Out of curiosity who said anything about 1/10th beside you and why would I have to buy parts for Sony?
I had a pricelist in my hand (tools for a DIY store) a long time ago, to my surprise we were paying 50% to the supply chain.
They save even more as they buy directly from the manufacturer, if you're looking for proof and have trust issues that's on you.
Either way enough of this.

ethomaz

Banned
That (Lockhart) isn't even official yet and I doubt you can argue that is the context of Phison saying consoles here. At least in my opinion.
Well Phison straight up said they are not supplying Sony PS5... what do you want more?

It is not even a “leak”... it is actually the own company stating that.

Last edited:

Ellery

Out of curiosity who said anything about 1/10th beside you and why would I have to buy parts for Sony?
I had a pricelist in my hand (tools for a DIY store) a long time ago, to my surprise we were paying 50% to the supply chain.
They save even more as they buy directly from the manufacturer, if you're looking for proof and have trust issues that's on you.
Either way enough of this.

and a friend of mine tells me what his company needs to pay for Car parts and usually they are around 60-80% of the retail price. He is responsible for buying them. That is his job.

How do these anecdotes help us? One guy pays 0.13$ for Tuna and the store sells that tuna for 10x the price. A friend of mine buys a lot of car parts and they only make a super small margin on those

So what does that have to do with Sony and buying SSDs? They are still going to be expensive for them.

But I agree on your last point that it is enough of this.

Gamernyc78

Banned
And you should read what people write properly, Hellblade 2 looks what somebody EXPECT from a next gen game in terms of image quality and quality of the assets. all the rest does not involve the discussion, I speak in mere image quality terms, you can take a screenshot if you like or a CGI movie or a tech demo, I talk about expectation

No one cares about what a slice or cutscene looks like running on a high end pc, we care about actual gameplay. Don't act like we didn't just go through generations of cutscene, cgi smoke and mirrors ran on pcs tht never looked like the games, also live action trailers. Until Sony finally started the habit of live game play demos during conferences which it started with Uncharted 2 and blew ppl away and continued. I'll take tht over fairy tales and fantasies any day.

Last edited:

MARTYWOLF

You know MS won’t sell only a single console... it is consoles.
Well Phison straight up said they are not supplying Sony PS5... what do you want more?

It is not even a “leak”... it is actually the own company stating that.

The problem i have with that phison denied supplying for ps5 is that it uses a company called ""groups celectronics co" I cant find any evidence of it being the parent company of phison unless im reading it wrong lol

I wonder what studio could nail Castlevania in the current suite of MS studios.

Off the top of my head, I can think of none that I would want to handle a re-imaging. Maybe Ninja Theory but I think their DMC outing shows that might be a bad idea. Most are "better served elsewhere" with their own IPs or own art style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom