• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
hqdefault.jpg
VG4SqHE.gif

nextgenpredict3grkm1.png

For those who haven't seen this, in order from left to right (and top to bottom), the various chip profiles represent:

1. PS5 assuming the GitHub leak represents final hardware.
2. PS5 as I predict it, accounting for GitHub but adding further information.
3. XSX as I predict it, mostly matching GitHub but with further info as well.
4. XSX with max GPU power, if it also featured a full-power Zen2 CPU (all other profiles have a version cutdown for consoles).
5. XSX with max GPU power, if support silicon was kept to a minimum. This profile might have trouble reaching its on-paper performance.

I'd be happy to explain details or what other factors I was trying to account for, on any of these variations.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Another thought was about the PS5 adoption rate Sony mentioned. I wonder if they think this based on PS4 BC. As in, if PS4 BC is in, if you can afford the new system, you no longer need your PS4 or PS4 Pro.

HawarMiran

Banned
Okay I googled some more and Sony already had Super Bowl ads, but for games. God of War: Ascension and The Order: 1886 (I didn't remember to be honest). My gut is telling me we will get something. And I will take bets on it. Come at me 💃

Kobi

As I've said time and time again. If you wanna have the highest Tfloppies and fastest ssd, then that's cool. But don't for a second they will be priced the same. Unless of course Sony is taking some massive hit per console. Which could happen.

Even then, if Sony does come in top of the list, the other insider/s said that one would be a little more powerful then the other, but the lower powered one will have better performance. Personally I'd rather have the performance. Be it Xbox or ps5.

I'll let someone else correct me/ quote what I'm on about, at work.

psorcerer

Banned
There should be zero doubts the PS5 SSD is faster. The question is whether will it be worth the costs since 95% of games will be made with drives on PC and series x in mind. With building a console its always give and take for components. What was given up for this SSD. Will it kill any chances at future users expansion of drive space which would suck. There are lots of unknowns at this point.

Targeting a specification that will be never available on Windows PC is already huge enough.

ethomaz

Banned
Even fucking Stella Artois ad gets 50 mio views on the internet.

Most Viewed ad online: Stella Artois “Change Up the Usual” which had more than 48 million views across top video platforms and websites as of the Monday after the game

Wtf is Stella Artois. Never heard of it
Beer.
It is pretty good.
The ads are awesome too... I find their ads on pair or even better than the Heineken's ones.

Yeah I googled it right now. I am from europe and never heard of that beer
WOW.

It is from Belgium with near 100 years old... it is the best selling beer there.

It has a bad reputation in UK because they create a local legend of mans beating woman after drinking Stella... obvious it is about the alcohol but like it is a pretty know beer there there use it name to say that.

Wikipedia tells me it isn't sold in germany. 😂 . We even have japanese beer here or beer from thailand. But not this particular belgium brand.
That is weird...

Unfortunately I am not allowed to drink anymore. I am sober since 2018 💃😭
That is great... keep the pace.... I know how is to like to drink a lot but after all it is just a drink that mostly do bad than good to your health.
You have may support (y)

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

7nm EUV would just be a bad choice for a long-term product (consoles), the design rules aren't compatible with future nodes on the roadmap. The move would result in some short-term savings at much greater long-term expense. The node is a much better fit for short-term processors (desktop, mobile, etc.).

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Like what dude?
I was the only one who said PS5 is based on 7nm EUV
I was the first one who said PS5 will definitely be over 50 active CUs
I was the first one who said PS5's SSD is over twice as fast as SeriesX SSD
I was the only one who said about 'Project Infinity'
I was the only one who said BluePoint current project is something unexpected
etc

Man just because of saying PS5 is a little more powerful than its competitor, so many fanboys couldn't handle it :messenger_grinning:

The problem is that if somebody had so many details, they would know all the details. Like if you know Blue Point's project you are close to them. But Blue Point has no idea or even an interest in the PS5 nodes. And considering that TSMC announced 7nm EUV back in 2018 and your account exists since February 2019, that would be nothing but an educated guess considering TSMC produces AMD chips. Same goes for the number of CUs. So it's definitely over 50? Then what is it? 52? 54? 56? 60? And again, not something that Blue Point would be interested in. They don't program for CUs. They are interested in the amount of operations, not how the hardware gets there. Any real insider could simply leak what they know. Yet, for some reason they like to spread it all out or keep stuff to themselves. Because at the end of the day, they are only attention whores. And a lot of people don't have any insider knowledge, they just like the attention they get for supposedly having insider knowledge. Makes them feel important. For a year.

Let me ask you a very simple question: What is Blue Point working on? Surely you know, if you can rate it as "unexpected".

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I live near its first brewery. Town's local beer. Cheaper than water here in the Oude Markt. ;)
I was shocked in my travel to Europe where water is more expensive than beer or coca-cola lol
Water here is basically the cheapest thing to drink in any place... most places have free Water too.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Another thought was about the PS5 adoption rate Sony mentioned. I wonder if they think this based on PS4 BC. As in, if PS4 BC is in, if you can afford the new system, you no longer need your PS4 or PS4 Pro.
Gamers don't like to watch years of game catalog investment go to drain all of a sudden just because a new generation looms, so many would just stay where they are for some time. But if they know they can take all their catalog to the new machine, they wouldn't wait so long to get it.

Last edited:
Imagine a short ad showing a render of the PS5 🤤 and revealing the date of an event later that month. That would hype the shit out of me

I’m imagining something quite different. It’d be a short ad that focuses on someone going throughout their day with PS5.

They start up a single player game instantly and start playing. The user instantly swaps to a multiplayer game to play with a friend. A short time lapse happens and they resume the single player game instantly from where they left off.

You could also work in things like the rumored AI assistant and maybe a new phone app too.
No tease for a reveal event though, just a press release, a “full” version of the video, and maybe a release date and price.

johnjohn

The problem is that if somebody had so many details, they would know all the details. Like if you know Blue Point's project you are close to them. But Blue Point has no idea or even an interest in the PS5 nodes. And considering that TSMC announced 7nm EUV back in 2018 and your account exists since February 2019, that would be nothing but an educated guess considering TSMC produces AMD chips. Same goes for the number of CUs. So it's definitely over 50? Then what is it? 52? 54? 56? 60? And again, not something that Blue Point would be interested in. They don't program for CUs. They are interested in the amount of operations, not how the hardware gets there. Any real insider could simply leak what they know. Yet, for some reason they like to spread it all out or keep stuff to themselves. Because at the end of the day, they are only attention whores. And a lot of people don't have any insider knowledge, they just like the attention they get for supposedly having insider knowledge. Makes them feel important. For a year.

Let me ask you a very simple question: What is Blue Point working on? Surely you know, if you can rate it as "unexpected".
He's making the same mistake a lot of fake insiders make. He's claiming to know too much info. He knows the specs of both next gen consoles, he knows what studios Sony and MS are acquiring, he knows the games that are being made...

Kobi

Imagine a short ad showing a render of the PS5 🤤 and revealing the date of an event later that month. That would hype the shit out of me

If their is a Superbowl ad, then I'd imagine it'll 5 seconds long, played every other ad break. It'll be a silhouette of the console with the classic blue light on the console with maybe the power on sound with a reveal date.

Queue internet meltdown.

Gediminas

Banned
If Bluepoint latest project which is “the largest in our history, and aims to define the visual benchmark for the next generation of gaming hardware” is Demon Souls remake, I would be deeply disappointed.
maybe for you, but not for most of us. Demons Souls Remake is one of few most requested remakes of all time.

darkinstinct

Imagine dropping out of E3 because it doesn't give you the reach you want and then spending $5 million on a teaser at super bowl. Imagine that. Then imagine all the press having to watch super bowl to get that information. Because that's what you are saying.

Sony said when to expect news. "Over the coming months". Said it at CES just three weeks ago. They did not say next month. That wording alone means if a February event happened, it wouldn't show a whole lot, because they want to spread that out "over the coming months". Which makes you question the reason to have an event in the first place. To start preorders? Why? You would need to set a price now, giving Microsoft half a year to react to that price point. Preorders will be sold out within days anyway.

Scenario: Sony launches preorders after a February event. They sell out their five million production of this year within a week or two. What does anybody who wants a next gen console this year and didn't manage to preorder buy? Yeah, an Xbox.

Do they need an event to create hype? Doesn't look like they do, everybody is talking about Sony now.

Do they need an event to show games? They still have their biggest title of this gen coming up in May. Do you want to show next gen games in February that look much better, so that your customers don't buy TLoU2 in May at full price but rather wait for a 50 % discount around next gen launch?

Do they need to show the design? What if they already had it leaked? PS2 looked like a slimmer PS2 devkit. PS5 devkit looks very much like a production device with multiple part plastic design in different colors. They even patented that design, why do that for a devkit?

The truth is that there is little to no reason why Sony would think about an event in February. They announced PS5 a year ago, the purpose of the event in 2013 was to announce PS4.

Gediminas

Banned
He's making the same mistake a lot of fake insiders make. He's claiming to know too much info. He knows the specs of both next gen consoles, he knows what studios Sony and MS are acquiring, he knows the games that are being made...
knows everything but shares some bogus numbers and quotes.

We are all chomping at the bit for them to reveal something.

I don't hold to this notion of a Github being true. Sony has kept a very tight leash this time around. To me, there is probably good reason the insiders speak in riddles, otherwise it'd be "Oh lawd, they comin'"

I don't think that's an indication that it is somehow in trouble or lower power. This whole idea of PS5 somehow being 3TF below the Xbox is asinine.

It's like that guy on the other site named..Colbert? He's adamant about that and its ridiculous.

There won't be more than a 10% difference by the end. I stand by that and that's gonna be pretty negligible once developers learn how to squeeze these systems for all they can.

darkinstinct

I was shocked in my travel to Europe where water is more expensive than beer or coca-cola lol
Water here is basically the cheapest thing to drink in any place... most places have free Water too.

Where was that? Because I can get water for 0.20 €/1 l in Europe, while Coca-Cola starts at 0.99€/1 l. Even the cheapest cola is like 0.59 €/1 l. Or are you talking about restaurants?

HawarMiran

Banned
If their is a Superbowl ad, then I'd imagine it'll 5 seconds long, played every other ad break. It'll be a silhouette of the console with the classic blue light on the console with maybe the power on sound with a reveal date.

Queue internet meltdown.
Yeah something like that is what I am imagining

darkinstinct

Maybe he is a janitor that comes around a lot. :D Or he is the fake account of Matt Booty, Hermen Hulst and Lisa Su.

ethomaz

Banned
Where was that? Because I can get water for 0.20 €/1 l in Europe, while Coca-Cola starts at 0.99€/1 l. Even the cheapest cola is like 0.59 €/1 l. Or are you talking about restaurants?
Pub, restaurants, hotel, etc... any place I traveled (Portugal, Spain, UK, France, Germany, etc) in Europe I paid from 1-4€ in water bottles... that was few years ago (2015).

That is for me over R$5-20 per bottle lol
It is crazy expensive.

From all places I traveled... US, Mexico, Argentina, Peru, Chile, internally in Brasil (it is big here), etc... Europe has the most expensive water by a big margin... Mexico was probably the cheapest when bought in Mexican Pesos (they had the cheapest Taxi again when paid in Mexican Pesos... if you try to pay in dollar it become expensive).... I still not travel to Asia.

Last edited:

DrDamn

May the good blood guide your way

Can you clarify something - as your previous comment about BluePoint's "next" project was ambiguous. You said they would be doing something older than a remaster/remake of a 2009 game. Did you mean they are currently working on DS remake now and *next* they will work on this other project? Or that they are currently working on this other project rather than what people are assuming (i.e. they are not doing DS).

I don't hold to this notion of a Github being true. Sony has kept a very tight leash this time around. To me, there is probably good reason the insiders speak in riddles, otherwise it'd be "Oh lawd, they comin'"

I don't think that's an indication that it is somehow in trouble or lower power. This whole idea of PS5 somehow being 3TF below the Xbox is asinine.

It's like that guy on the other site named..Colbert? He's adamant about that and its ridiculous.

There won't be more than a 10% difference by the end. I stand by that and that's gonna be pretty negligible once developers learn how to squeeze these systems for all they can.

well technically speaking, the difference between 12 and 9 tflops is actually a smaller percentage distance than the 1.8 and 1.3 of ps4 and xb1 so its not really all that asinine. Especially if Sony is going for a $399 box and MS is going for $499. I ln fact, considering MS asked $100 more for their 1.3tflop machine would make a 9tflop PS5 far less asinine than what MS did.

In the end, I personally believe there wont be a huge difference BUT its not hard for me to believe that Sony opted for a cheaper/weaker option. I say this because, they dominated so much this gen that they dont HAVE to take a loss on each console, they have no incentive to take a risk and they have every reason in the world to play it safe. On the other hand, MS got dominated and NEED to take risks. They are in the position to where they would be willing to take a loss on each console just so that they can regain ground

HawarMiran

Banned
Imagine dropping out of E3 because it doesn't give you the reach you want and then spending $5 million on a teaser at super bowl. Imagine that. Then imagine all the press having to watch super bowl to get that information. Because that's what you are saying.

Sony said when to expect news. "Over the coming months". Said it at CES just three weeks ago. They did not say next month. That wording alone means if a February event happened, it wouldn't show a whole lot, because they want to spread that out "over the coming months". Which makes you question the reason to have an event in the first place. To start preorders? Why? You would need to set a price now, giving Microsoft half a year to react to that price point. Preorders will be sold out within days anyway.

Scenario: Sony launches preorders after a February event. They sell out their five million production of this year within a week or two. What does anybody who wants a next gen console this year and didn't manage to preorder buy? Yeah, an Xbox.

Do they need an event to create hype? Doesn't look like they do, everybody is talking about Sony now.

Do they need an event to show games? They still have their biggest title of this gen coming up in May. Do you want to show next gen games in February that look much better, so that your customers don't buy TLoU2 in May at full price but rather wait for a 50 % discount around next gen launch?

Do they need to show the design? What if they already had it leaked? PS2 looked like a slimmer PS2 devkit. PS5 devkit looks very much like a production device with multiple part plastic design in different colors. They even patented that design, why do that for a devkit?

The truth is that there is little to no reason why Sony would think about an event in February. They announced PS5 a year ago, the purpose of the event in 2013 was to announce PS4.
If a beer ad can reach 48 mio people, then I bet it is worth the money. And only the 30 second ads did cost around 5 mio. They don't have to make it 30 seconds. In the end they will put money in advertisement anyways and why not start with that on an event like the super-bowl. It will create buzz to unimaginable levels if they just drop the design of the console 🤤. Let me dream!!!!

ethomaz

Banned
If a beer ad can reach 48 mio people, then I bet it is worth the money. And only the 30 second ads did cost around 5 mio. They don't have to make it 30 seconds. In the end they will put money in advertisement anyways and why not start with that on an event like the super-bowl. It will create buzz to unimaginable levels if they just drop the design of the console 🤤. Let me dream!!!!
They just need 5s to show the logo ;)
People will go crazy.

BTW beer market is way way way bigger than console market that is why 48 million watchers.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

That's not how it works. They will be close if they are targeting the same price (they are using the same architecture). If one is 20 % more expensive than the other, you bet it is at least 20 % more powerful. Nothing is keeping Microsoft from releasing XSX at 599 - they do have a cheaper SKU coming up. So if XSX is at 599 and PS5 at 399 to 499 you bet XSX will be 3 TF more powerful. Same thing happened with One X. One year and $100 more gave them 50 % more power over PS4 Pro. So PS5 ending up 3 TF below XSX is absolutely possible - if they are targeting a different price point. The ridiculous thing is to assume PS5 will be cheaper and more powerful than XSX - because it happened with this gen. That's completely ignoring the reasons why that happened and why it can't happen ever again.

The only problem with that is that the demographic of Super Bowl isn't really what they are going for when showing off a new console, a lot of the gamers I know don't watch football and I sure as hell don't want to sit through it to see a glimpse of a PS5.

ethomaz

Banned
The only problem with that is that the demographic of Super Bowl isn't really what they are going for when showing off a new console, a lot of the gamers I know don't watch football and I sure as hell don't want to sit through it to see a glimpse of a PS5.
Sony already used Super Bowl ads.

2001: PlayStation 2"Future" (they showed up to PS9)
2004: PlayStation 2"Going Back" (Jet Li game)

But since 2004 they never did again that means it was not good I guess.

PS. Fixed the quote... I got the wrong person.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

Chance that a super bowl viewer likes beer: 95 %. Chance that a super bowl viewer likes Playstation consoles? 25 %. (based on number of superbowl viewers in relation to PS4 owners in the US)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom