• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ar¢tos

I just find it funny. Navi is in trouble. MS is using VEGA!!! Navi reveal is good, MS back to using Navi! Developers says PS5 is more powerful, Nextbox has 12 cores, what now!
PS5 will ALWAYS be more powerful because it has the power of Dreams©
Petaflops of Neverending creativity flowing from users directly to Sony HQ, it will be unstoppable!!

If you want to go balls deep on the Navi architecture, David Kanter is your man:

so you get this massive IPC gain with legacy wave64 code already. (power and work per TF) efficiency will get much better as soon as native wave32 code will be implemented. that probably won't become common before the launch of next gen consoles, though.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

so you get this massive IPC gain with legacy wave64 code already. (power and work per TF) efficiency will get much better as soon as native wave32 code will be implemented. that probably won't become common before the launch of next gen consoles, though.

In a closed box though? Sure it will, dev support is more of a problem on PC.

See Asynchronous compute, devs dragged their feet on PC for a while but being a closed box and every millisecond of processing counting on consoles, many more took advantage of that

Edit: Oh, I see you probably meant the next gen console launch will drive it

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
Vw80nEX.png

Zen 2 means 4 times more powerful in terms of CPU performance than the old Jaguar of the X.
Navi/RDNA at 12Tflops means more than 2.4 times GPU performance against the Polaris/GCN of the X.
PCIE4 NVME SSD is 40 times more powerful than a traditional HDD according to Microsoft.
GDDR6 14 Gbps is more than twice the performance of GDDR5 6.8Gbps of Xbox One X/PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Vw80nEX.png

Zen 2 means 4 times more powerful in terms of CPU performance than the old Jaguar of the X.
Navi/RDNA at 12Tflops means more than 2.4 times GPU performance against the Polaris/GCN of the X.
PCIE4 NVME SSD is 40 times more powerful than a traditional HDD according to Microsoft.
GDDR6 14 Gbps is more than twice the performance of GDDR5 6.8Gbps of Xbox One X/PS4 Pro.

Given gpu performance also has higher effeciency .. they could be getting 120 fps on a 4k 30 fps xbox one x game. That would in simple and accurate terms be 4 times the performance.

Evilms

Banned
Given gpu performance also has higher effeciency .. they could be getting 120 fps on a 4k 30 fps xbox one x game. That would in simple and accurate terms be 4 times the performance.

The 120fps is going to be more for VR in my opinion.

Fake

ya but no game will run native at that res unless it wants to look like a ps3 game. most likely they will be using some sort of upscaler hardware to help.
Don't need to be native. This is a future proof feature.
Besides, Xbox X have that 120hz option with make the experience much better.
I can't understand those lack of info about that. 8K native? 120fps? Please.

SonGoku

No not even close. Monolithic dies are incredibly expensive. APUs don't look like a good way to go for next gen based on what we know for AMD. It might be cheaper for AMD to have a zen2 chiplet and two 5700 chiplet for next gen then a monolithic dies. However, as AMD pointed out themselves chiplet GPUs don't perform well for gaming. Chiplets>>>>Monolithic Chips/APUs
Are you sure? then why MS joined the 360 slim CPU/GPU on the same die later on for costs reductions?
Why did the PS4/XB go with a monolithic design?

If yields are not the best it might be more expensive early on but as yields improve that brings costs reductions and even more cost reduction with a die shrink (6nm)
Long term it will be cheaper
I edited point 1 messed up earlier

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Folks, we are now at 12 cores for the nextbox per windowscentral on a rumor they heard.

"Hopefully Scarlett will be the most powerful console than the PS5. However, only time will tell. There are rumors floating around that Scarlett features a 12-core processor compared to the 8-core one found in the PS5, but nothing has been confirmed yet. As with any such leak, take it with a grain of salt until we receive official confirmation and both parties confirm specifications."

So 105w vs 65w? Hmmm.

So 105w vs 65w? Hmmm.
Personally, I'm expecting 50w max from the cpu. It'll be downclocked and probably won't have a 'turbo boost', so it'll consume a lot less power than the 'off the shelf' part.

I'm thinking final HW will be about ~180-210W.

EDIT: that's basically a PS3 launch model:

18mm01ncmr36ejpg.jpg

Last edited:

bitbydeath

ya but no game will run native at that res unless it wants to look like a ps3 game. most likely they will be using some sort of upscaler hardware to help.

*PS4 game.
If we double the performance of what the PS4 Pro can do then those 4K games can reach 8K.

And PS5 will be a lot more than double the TFs.

Don’t forget this supposedly running on an early PS5 dev kit.

Last edited:
Folks, we are now at 12 cores for the nextbox per windowscentral on a rumor they heard.

"Hopefully Scarlett will be the most powerful console than the PS5. However, only time will tell. There are rumors floating around that Scarlett features a 12-core processor compared to the 8-core one found in the PS5, but nothing has been confirmed yet. As with any such leak, take it with a grain of salt until we receive official confirmation and both parties confirm specifications."

Please link to this "Windowscentral" rumormill...

Colin Moriarty is reporting he's heard PS5 is more powerful than Scarlett and appears to echo Andrew Reiner.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS has a Hail Mary pass situation going on with Anaconda where they're waiting for delivery of some part or other to give some uplift.

Potentially it could be waiting for a node shrink on the IO die serving the chiplets, 14nm to 12nm may give them enough juice to boost the clock speed.

The chiplet play would also let them take advantage of binning the chips and creaming off best performers for Anaconda where Lockhart and cloud get the sloppy seconds.

MS also have a tremendous amount to lose if this doesn't play out. So they may have pushed things to be more along these lines - if the Hail Mary pays off:

• 64 CU @ 1650 = 13.5 TF
Clocks aren't that much of a stretch and it still fits with the wide and slow approach.

Last edited:
Are you sure? then why MS joined the 360 slim CPU/GPU on the same die later on for costs reductions?
Why did the PS4/XB go with a monolithic design?

If yields are not the best it might be more expensive early on but as yields improve that brings costs reductions and even more cost reduction with a die shrink (6nm)
Long term it will be cheaper
It made sense back then.

Remember when AMD had integrated the memory controller in the CPU (K8)? Now they're doing the opposite (I/O die), because costs are skyrocketing:

2a_Design_costs_IBS_x_800.png

Handel1.png

Personally, I'm expecting 50w max from the cpu. It'll be downclocked and probably won't have a 'turbo boost', so it'll consume a lot less power than the 'off the shelf' part
More like 30W (as much as Jaguar consumes at 28nm).

There won't be a 14nm I/O die (assuming they go monolithic).

IceManCat

Vw80nEX.png

Im a bit confused about your second sentence and the 2.4 times GPU leap. Does this mean if a ps5 launched with 12 TF of power it would be equivalent to a 28.8 teraflop ps4? 12 x 2.4 = 28.8. That seems to be extremely powerful I’m sure I am misunderstanding

SonGoku

It made sense back then.

Remember when AMD had integrated the memory controller in the CPU (K8)? Now they're doing the opposite (I/O die), because costs are skyrocketing:
AMD put the IO into a separate die to scale up multiple chiplets
1 chiplet = 8 cores

For a 8 core console APU its more beneficial to use a monotheist die

SonGoku

The chiplet technology cannot be applied to GPUs/APUs (yet), so yeah, it's gonna be monolithic.
They could make separate CPU-GPU dies on a single package, similar to PS360 but i don't think the short term benefits are worth the sacrifices
Same. I only buy 120hz or above panels, so it’s nice that it will have 2.1 and that more responsive handshake.
Your TV is 4k at 120hz :pie_drooling:?

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
So much fear and wishful thinking comments from ppl that don't want the PS5 to be more powerful. Like who gives a fuck? Enjoy your console of choice because at the end of the day the games you like will look alot better than this gen no matter what. How many "I told you so" moments have some of you endured listening to PR bs, eating it up, to be disappointed and still don't learn smh

Last edited:
So much fear and wishful thinking comments from ppl that don't want the PS5 to be more powerful. Like who gives a fuck? Enjoy your console of choice because at the end of the day the games you like will look alot better than this gen no matter what. How many "I told you so" moments have some of you endured listening to PR bs, eating it up, to be disappointed and still don't learn smh

I actually think the PS5 will be the more balanced and best performing system overall.

But MS has so much riding on having the most power that they'll be crucified if it fails to deliver.

So I'm expecting MS to tweak and tune to report a higher TF number by hook or by crook.

But that higher TF number won't translate into the best gaming performance.

Aceofspades

Banned
All I have to say is people always overestimate MS when it comes to power.
Only time they created a clearly powerful machine was the original Xbox made by shelf parts from Nvidia and Intel. After that they lost power battle to Sony two gens in a row.
Hell even their Xbox one X advantage was because they mirrored PS4 design and waited a year over Pro to release it. If Sony delayed PRO to 2017 they would release a 6TF console.

For some strange reason, there is this strange idea in the back of the heads of MS fans that MS will "go all out" releasing this beastly console that outpower all competition but it never comes to fruition, and it never will. Microsoft is to blame for putting themselves in such position, they have been screaming "power" since 2017 with their man-kids PR of Larry Harb and Greenberg posting every DF comparison highlighting every slight advantage of Xbox one X. Amature move from them since it seems like they are lacking focus or the entirety of Xbox division is not on the same page, and its starting to bite them in the ass now.

If you want to position yourself as "performance leader" then you should man up to it, and if I was running the division, the first thing to do to ensure this is to go to Nvidia and Intel to make sure I will achieve the image I created and crush the competition . But MS is lacking focus and commitment.

Its their battle to lose now.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
GermanZepp GermanZepp is right, this thread can use some music

I actually like her, and she's gorgeous too. She has made a lot of catchy tunes over the years.

All I have to say is people always overestimate MS when it comes to power.
Only time they created a clearly powerful machine was the original Xbox made by shelf parts from Nvidia and Intel. After that they lost power battle to Sony two gens in a row.
Hell even their Xbox one X advantage was because they mirrored PS4 design and waited a year over Pro to release it. If Sony delayed PRO to 2017 they would release a 6TF console.

For some strange reason, there is this strange idea in the back of the heads of MS fans that MS will "go all out" releasing this beastly console that outpower all competition but it never comes to fruition, and it never will. Microsoft is to blame for putting themselves in such position, they have been screaming "power" since 2017 with their man-kids PR of Larry Harb and Greenberg posting every DF comparison highlighting every slight advantage of Xbox one X. Amature move from them since it seems like they are lacking focus or the entirety of Xbox division is not on the same page, and its starting to bite them in the ass now.

If you want to position yourself as "performance leader" then you should man up to it, and if I was running the division, the first thing to do to ensure this is to go to Nvidia and Intel to make sure I will achieve the image I created and crush the competition . But MS is lacking focus and commitment.

Its their battle to lose now.
MS should just shut the Xbox division down.

Last edited:
MS should just shut the Xbox division down.

I actually think this is the long term goal, to shutdown the hardware division completely.

Allowing Xbox games on other platforms was the first step.

The ultimate goal is to be the Netflix of gaming.

This means doing away with all those troublesome consoles and just selling you regular drops of gaming content - ideally in a monthly subscription that you pay for whether you use it or not on third party devices. Like netflix.

The only problem with this master plan is that the first party content available isn't strong enough for a significant number of people to want to play it outside of the original platform.

So while you're desperate to get out of the hardware business you can't because your offerings aren't strong enough. If they were your platform would be more popular.

I've got to admire the ambition of the plan but the execution is sadly lacking for now.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
I actually think this is the long term goal, to shutdown the hardware division completely.

Allowing Xbox games on other platforms was the first step.
Naw, MS should just stick to office, windows and stuff like that. They should sell their IPs, and shouldn’t bother with gaming at all.

CyberPanda

Banned
I wouldn't want that tbh, they provide massive entertainment being Sony punching bag since 2001 🤣
You realize these corporations don’t give a fuck about us right? Jesus. I’m saying MS should quit, because they don’t have the ‘oomph’ factor like Sony does, Or that driving force. If Ms leaves gaming, they can still make money off their other divisions. Gaming is a big money maker for Sony, and they should stay in it. MS doesn’t need it.

JLMC469

Banned
You realize these corporations don’t give a fuck about us right? Jesus. I’m saying MS should quit, because they don’t have the ‘oomph’ factor like Sony does, Or that driving force. If Ms leaves gaming, they can still make money off their other divisions. Gaming is a big money maker for Sony, and they should stay in it. MS doesn’t need it.

To be fair, this companies make a lot more money with software and subscription services than with hardware.

CyberPanda

Banned
True but you need the hw to push software and subscriptions
Yea. MS is just playing cute and staying in hardware just not to piss off their current fan base. Once Gamepass and everything gets geared up, they are going to pull the rug from underneath their fans.

To be fair, this companies make a lot more money with software and subscription services than with hardware.
Of course. These companies always sell hardware at a loss first, but majority of their money does come from subscribers and what not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom